The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Hey guys.
First off, I would like to start this opening paragraph by making the following disclaimer. I have an opinion, and I intend to state it in the most brutally honest blunt fashion. I do not care if I rub people the wrong way by saying this. I do not care about how others feel when they listen to me. I don't really care what will happen as a result of it. And if you do get offended by listening to my typing, then I fully intend to offend you, for making the mistake of taking the things way too seriously.

Now that that's cleared up.....

For the past two weeks I've had to sit back and watch post. After post. After post. Of the most staggering OOC drama that would shame every piece of drama that has been produced, across all known medias. Tension. Hatred. Frustration. And just general bickering. Now, this isn't something that's new or unique to any internet community, and I know there will never be a way to completely erase it, but....

When the f**k did it all come to this, guys?

When the f**k did we all begin to take this server to such a serious degree that we've had to treat each and every event that went on as if it were a life struggle? When did we stop being a fun server of happy people who just wanted to RP? When did we decide to become so idiotically pedantic over every little detail pertaining to every little thing?

But most importantly....

Why have we become so psychologically invested in the happenings of an online world, to such a degree that any mistake (either real or perceived) makes one feel like they have to pay a strict penance in order to attain redemption?

Have we become so stratified, so invested in gaining acceptance amongst a small selection of envied individuals, that we're willing to completely submit to some indefinable notion of "duty" that we've erased all ideals of 'fun' in order to maintain a "close knit strong community of dedicated RP'rs"?

Because if we have I find it disgusting.

The internet isn't something we should treat completely serious. You should not be wallowing in fear at every statement you make. You should not be contemplating harikiri every time you make a mistake. You should not have to bludgeon your personality in order to gain the acceptance of peers.

I used to see this kind of thing happen all the time in middle / high school. In order to gain the acceptance of a certain clique, you'd have a kid who would take all sorts of shit from that collection of kids. They'd maybe beat him up. Talk down to him. Pressure him to change his clothing style or musical interest or behavior. And all the while he'd have to just sit back and bear it all. All for what? To gain a "status"? To make a "name"? To earn "respect"?

No matter what it might be, it always ends up fake. Conceited facades clashing into each other in social public. People showing smiles on the outside while plotting demises on the inside. I feel that's the way COTH has become now. I feel like I can't even talk honestly to certain people for some underlying fear . But tonight I've decided to take more doses of "f**k it" than usual, so yeah.

We gotta stop taking everything so seriously. My prick level is up enough to where I would point fingers to the specific events, people, and posts that have triggered this post....but in all honesty, the list would never end. This post is already long enough as it is. I'm most definitely just as guilty (and in some cases, even more so) of perpetrating this system....but since I'm so fed up with the overly apologetic attitude that people have been having nowadays, I don't want to square my hypocrisy. I'm also certainly more aware that other posts have touched on these issues (mainly those dealings with the endless bickering about lore in the chat channels), so I don't have to elaborate on them.

So, in conclusion....everyone, everywhere, on everything, needs to stop taking everything so seriously. Relax. Be real to yourself, be real to others. Because the greatest irony, in the year and a half I've spent in this server, is that every step made to maintain order on a particular problem...

....just causes it to degenerate more.

Telling people to be more respectful just makes 'em hate on one another in secret.
Telling people to cease with OOC drama just represses it, to the point where it creates a tension that rivals all soap operas.
Trying to close the flood gates and filter out "undesirables" just lets the very worst of 'em slip on in and corrupt the system.

It's maddening, in the funny ironic sorta way. But it can only go on for so long before it just becomes plain ol' frustrating.

Oh. And before ya chime in and go "OMG KRENT I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU YEAH!!!!!" or ";_; Krent you've said it perfectly I'm sorry for my own dreadful sins and I apologize profusely for attributing to this mess!!!! ;_;"

STOP.

You'd be missing the whole point of this thread. Which I'm not even sure of, in all honesty.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
I disagree on some levels of your statement, and agree on others. Yes, there have been many cases of OOC drama, but it's something that can't be helped. It doesn't really matter if it's the internet or not, it's still a form of socializing. Though it is indirect communication, like a phone call for instance, it does not mean it will be completely objective. People's feelings will always get hurt. People will always feel threatened. People will always feel discomfort. It just happens.
Said this back before I was a GM, during my short service as a GM, and when being kicked out of being a GM; Coth needs to either be shut down or closed to a group of Kretol's trusted friends otherwise it'll fester and devour itself like it is now. The way it is run is hardly adequate. I mean, a person with an anger problem and a superiority complex being made a GM after only a month? A complete and unapologetic racist openly making racist remarks being allowed to remain on the server for months before being banned and me being demoted because I tried to monitor the situation? No offense to Kretol or anything, he's a decent enough guy. Honestly the best GM this server has had is Sasail.

At first I laughed and kinda ignored when people would call Coth a giant stereotypical high school soap opera, but now I completely believe it. There was a time where I completely loved Coth. This place is ridiculous.

I stuck to Coth because Retail RP was a joke. But now I don't even log in because Coth is a joke.

All the whiners, bitchers, crybabies, etc. should just go back to retail where you all belong. And if you get upset at this, good.

I know that this'll probably get deleted and that would just prove how bad this place has gotten. People can't take criticism. I could say so much more but at this point I hardly care anymore. This Coth and community is not the one I grew to love.
Woah. Heavy vibes, dude.
MrWeasel Wrote:Said this back before I was a GM, during my short service as a GM, and when being kicked out of being a GM; Coth needs to either be shut down or closed to a group of Kretol's trusted friends otherwise it'll fester and devour itself like it is now. The way it is run is hardly adequate. I mean, a person with an anger problem and a superiority complex being made a GM after only a month? A complete and unapologetic racist openly making racist remarks being allowed to remain on the server for months before being banned and me being demoted because I tried to monitor the situation? No offense to Kretol or anything, he's a decent enough guy. Honestly the best GM this server has had is Sasail.

At first I laughed and kinda ignored when people would call Coth a giant stereotypical high school soap opera, but now I completely believe it. There was a time where I completely loved Coth. This place is ridiculous.

I stuck to Coth because Retail RP was a joke. But now I don't even log in because Coth is a joke.

All the whiners, bitchers, crybabies, etc. should just go back to retail where you all belong. And if you get upset at this, good.

I know that this'll probably get deleted and that would just prove how bad this place has gotten. People can't take criticism. I could say so much more but at this point I hardly care anymore. This Coth and community is not the one I grew to love.

Personally, it sounds like you're saying all these things because you were demoted... But putting that aside, there are some gems in that statement.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Now, I can't say I agree with every little thing that was said in the previous posts though a lot of it I wholeheartedly raise my glass to.

Krent Wrote:... everyone, everywhere, on everything, needs to stop taking everything so seriously. Relax. Be real to yourself, be real to others.

It's true. We all need to realize that this place is meant to be a game. Games are here for us to enjoy ourselves. I myself have been at floor here. I've moved back and taken more of a passive role. Nodding my head and just agreeing with others. Even today I gave an apology to a player where all I needed to do was just take note of what he was saying. So I can be blamed for part of what you were saying here.

MrWeasel's post really reinforces my post that I made earlier on in the year;
sasail Wrote:The fighting, flaming and smart assed remarks may be directed at one person or one group but it has an effect on the whole community. Yes, we are meant to be a COMMUNITY here! We are meant to be a haven where people can kick back and actually role play without the need to focus on level, without the annoyance of the people on retail, without the restrictions of retail. We're meant to be a place of love and friendship

I think we all need a kick in the teeth again which is sad because I would have thought most of the people on this server would have come to a realization the last time I ranted about all this.

We are a community and we may not necessarily have to all like one another but for the sake of everyone else around you at least treat one another with some sort of respect. It's not like its a hard thing to ask either. Some people here just need to come to the realization that there are real people behind these characters. There people have feelings too and with all the selfishness some of you bring forward you neglect to acknowledge how the other people around you might be feeling.

When I left left the server (for that short amount of time) I was hoping that things would change. I only came back because a lot of you were asking me to and said they were appreciative of the things I did and of me in general. That's all fine and dandy but we're being drawn back into the same situation that pushed me away to start with.

Some drastic action has to be taken sooner or later. Something that not all of you may agree with but SOMETHING has to happen.

-----------------------
On a final note;
MrWeasel Wrote:Honestly the best GM this server has had is Sasail.
Thanks, man.

(edit: I think most of you know by now I'm a very passive person and I only speak up when something REALLY annoys me.)
[Image: Untitled-332.png]
Maulbane Wrote:Personally, it sounds like you're saying all these things because you were demoted... But putting that aside, there are some gems in that statement.

YeeeeaaNo. I agreed with their decision that I wasn't cut out to be a GM, just disagree with their reasoning. I stuck with this place because I believed in it and because I had some good friends here. I still support a few of the better older GMs. This has nothing to do with me being butthurt over something that 95% of the current populace has no idea about, so ya'll can stop thinking this is a personal vendetta. I'm just reinforcing what Krent said about the server needing to drop it's juvenile tendencies.
Maulbane Wrote:Personally, it sounds like you're saying all these things because you were demoted

I might back Weasel here and say that considering you've only been on this server for a short amount of time, have not been here while or prior to Weasel's GM days and (most probably) have had little contact with him and may not be wise of you to assume anything.

These are small, snippy comments that no one wants to hear and most of the time no one benefits from them being said.
[Image: Untitled-332.png]
MrWeasel, I considered you a friend. And that's why I'm going to call you out on this.

MrWeasel Wrote:A complete and unapologetic racist openly making racist remarks being allowed to remain on the server for months before being banned and me being demoted because I tried to monitor the situation?

That's not why you were demoted. Not even close. I personally told you why you were demoted. Yes, I still lurk the forums at times, no you're not going to get away with lying about this. As a GM you were far too confrontational, and we asked you specifically to leave the disciplinary action to the other GMs. After you repeatedly continued to do otherwise, I was forced to remove you from staff. For all of your complaining about others, you were the one causing drama for a good while.

Do you seriously expect to spout this bullcrap on our forums and then even pretend that I or any other admin is going to take your complaints even remotely seriously? Also, if you're not butthurt over losing the GM position, then why even bring it up as a "bad decision" like you did?

You may rag on Maeven, but she was a good GM who did a lot for the server while she was on.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
sasail Wrote:
Maulbane Wrote:Personally, it sounds like you're saying all these things because you were demoted

I might back Weasel here and say that considering you've only been on this server for a short amount of time, have not been here while or prior to Weasel's GM days and (most probably) have had little contact with him and may not be wise of you to assume anything.

These are small, snippy comments that no one wants to hear and most of the time no one benefits from them being said.

Sorry if i sounded nasty, i take back what i said.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Haha ok yeah, my issues aren't the point of this thread. I was just backing up what Krent's been saying about people needing to drop the High School shit and just have fun and enjoy the game. I'll shut up now since it seems I've got my own issues and people seem to think that's why I'm speaking here.

Edit: FYI I wasn't talking about Maeven.
There has been an increase of these posts lately, looking at only the first page I found six different posts pertaining problems such as metagaming, OOC=/=IC, people trying to "correct" others´ roleplay and other similar topics.

People know of the problem(s), obviously, and point them out, saying that we only need to "step back", "chill" "relax" or as Krent put "needs to stop taking everything so seriously" others go about stating what people should and shouldn´t do. Neither of these should be neeeded, and honestly, I´ve never seen anything like it work. People tend to nod, maybe say something in agreement and then continue with what they were doing.

I sincerly think that if we are going to try to "change" the tone of the server and get back to a more united feeling we´ll need a more drastic method. Maybe another "clean sweep"? though that will probably only help if we have some way to keep the removed elements out, or we could try something like opening the server up completely and see if that spawns more trouble or not. Then there´s the other suggestion that comes up from time to time, that we close the server to anyone but those that are invited, we´d be smaller, but wouldn´t there be a lot less drama, OOC bickering and other obnoxious notions? I can see advantages and disadvantages with all of them.

A clean sweep would probably only help temporarily, the same kind of people we removed would come drippling back, soon leaving us at the same place again.

Opening up the server would give GMs a lot more to do, mainly due to all the dragon roleplayers, demonic angels and Arthas´ bastards that´d settle in. It could turn the server for worse, leaving us with a quality comparable to retail or even worse, some of the other private RP servers out there, most of which are filled with those demonic angel dragons that not only Rp in a way that most would call "bad" (godmoding, metagaming, etc) but also cause a lot of OOC drama with posts not too unlike this one. Just with less grammar, sense and thought, often complaining about how badly others RP and that they all should cease their indecent activities.

Then again, that is a very pessimistic way to look at it, maybe we would get a few of those, but wouldn´t we, at least partialy, remove the element of raw elitism that causes us to look down on everyone who doesn´t RP right or behaves or do things in the "proper way". Because it definately is there, I´ve yet to see anyone on the server who doesn´t have that "touch" in one way or the other. To open up could also make us a more viable option for the roleplayers out there that do want to get in, but just can´t get past the introductions, maybe they are awesome in game but outside it they have difficulties expressing themselves in text/different language. We´d also get a server with more facets, various characters and potential for larger roleplay plots.

What if we lock and bar the doors then? We´d loose a lot of players, "casual" roleplay would diminish and we´d loose a lot of the "potency" a larger server (large being relatively speaking, hehe) have. But we´d get rid off the OOC problems and ensure that the people on the server are not only excellent roleplayers but also people we like and can get along with, we´d be more closesly knit and could focus on following more structured storylines that could involve all the characters on the server.

Meh, I don´t think what I´ve said is really helpful, but as they say, the best way to handle a sin is to fall for it.

Anyway, my point is that if we want to get a better eviroment on the server we need to stop looking and discussing the problem and focus on a solution. I doubt we´ll ever get rid off all drama and such stuff, we are after all roleplayers, it´s in our blood, but we can limit it´s scope and effect on the our moods.

I also don´t think a solution will have any real effect unless it is rather drastic, I´d personally support any of the three I mentioned above, right now it seems we´re, in OOC, stagnant.

And regarding the tone of the thread itself, let´s not let it become another source of drama, mind your words and try to show respect when adressing the problem, people and other.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

I think it needs to be said here, and this is the only metaphor I've thought of to get the point across. Krent, you can be a gigantic douchebag sometimes, but you always seem to post when the server needs a good rinse.

Hopefully everyone realizes the bitter irony inherent in the fact that the thread just brought to the surface all of the things that Krent mentioned in the original post. All of the childish bickering, all of the drama. It's all right here for everyone to see.

Thank you, Krent.
Personally, I would like to apologize if I, for some reason, offended anyone with my plugging of my clan. I've had someone (who I will not name) yell at me in a tell me for it, and it seems my pride in my guild seemed to offend someone.

And I would like to apologize if my following statement seems to offend someone (yet again.)
WE NEED TO STOP WITH THE ELITISM, THE OPINIONATED ARGUMENTS, AND SHOUTING AT SOMEONE FOR OPINIONS.
I once made an off-handed remark about how most Alliance roleplaying was stuck in Stormwind, and how it would be a bit more fun if people were roughing it out in Elwynn. Then, I had about all the Humans on the server shout at me for showing typical Horde 'bullshit'. What? All I did was tell people what I felt over Chat, WHICH IS PERFECTLY ALLOWED. If my remark seemed to offend someone, couldn't you have simply told me in a whisper? And I didn't think that shouting "YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL US WHAT TO DO!!" over Chat was the perfect plan of action.

The users of the server are not police, MoD Squads. Let the GMs do the work that they are promoted for - policing the chat channels to your will is NOT going to score you any approval points. Maybe a suspension or a mute.

My plan of action? Make a /debate channel for those who JUST NEED to ARGUE. That way we won't lose Roleplayers. Hopefully the better mannered people will come as the server matures.
We are the hero of our own story.
- Mary McCarthy

Carathor Wrathwood: an enigmatic Night Elf with many wild stories to tell.
Azitalon "Thunderscream": the ruthless Chieftain of the infamous Wartusk clan.
/sagenod at Krent

<333

Cressy
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing you guys again. falcophoenix 7 1,330 03-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  I'm sorry guys.. Kage 8 1,714 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda
  Hey guys! Lookie here! Ormica 14 1,925 08-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Ormica