Poll: What events would you like to see?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hunted
21.74%
20 21.74%
Hostage
8.70%
8 8.70%
Stranded
16.30%
15 16.30%
Quarantine
8.70%
8 8.70%
Experiment
14.13%
13 14.13%
The Bad Boss
6.52%
6 6.52%
Kangaroo Court
10.87%
10 10.87%
Cursed
13.04%
12 13.04%
Total 92 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[-]
Main Menu
Portal
Forums
Wiki
Rules
FAQs
Events Calendar
Downloads

[-]
Latest Threads
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: Duraza
12-17-2021 02:20 PM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 90033
Where Are You Now?
Last Post: Tales23
11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 722
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5044
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3928
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3634

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

Horror Events - What Scares are you Into?
So, I have a number of event ideas floating around in my head, but I'm only certain about one of these ideas so far: horror events. Simply, events that have an element of horror to them, from the macabre to the psychological. However, I want to know what the server wants, so I've come up with a number of ideas that I'm hoping to get some votes on. Here are all of the options of the poll, explained:

Hunted

Your character has been sent off into the wilds, or into a dungeon, to find some sort of artifact, retrieve somebody, or hunt somebody or something down. This will be done with a group comprised of other player's characters, and perhaps one of mine for guidance. Only, during the journey, you notice that you're being hunted by something or someone. In order for the experience to be more effective, it will be certain that something will happen to get the group lost: they lose their map, or get trapped in the dungeon with the monster(s)/person(s) after them.

Hostage

It will be like kidnapped, only on a smaller scale, with a small limit of participants. The purpose of that smaller scale is to personalize the experience: they could be kidnapped by their worst enemy, some sort of psychopath, or a group of people of a certain race or sub-humanoid race. It will depend on how the sign-up for it looks like, and what the players involved want out of it.

Stranded

The idea for 'stranded' is similar to the kidnapped idea. Only, there will be nothing holding the characters there against their own will. They're trapped somewhere, at the whim of circumstance. This event will be a little more difficult for me to design due to how compact and busy most of the WoW worlds are, so the only idea I have so far is a shipwrecked-type event. Another idea is an accident in the deeprun tram.

Experiment

Another idea I'm not 100% sure about yet, but the event will be similar to being kidnapped, only your characters are being experimented on by either some sort of mad scientist or a shadow priest studying people's fears and nightmares. In the case of the latter, the event will be personalized for single characters, and require a bit of work, but could be done with the right information.

Quarantine

It is what you think it'd be: your characters are locked in a certain building or place that they can't get out of by the local authorities because it is believed that there is an illness there that could spread rapidly and cause substantial damage to the general populous. It will be up to your characters to remain healthy and escape. Spoiler: You'll live.

The Bad Boss

Your character signs a contract to work for a man, and in small letters, it says that you have now signed your character over to the man as his property. This would of course, take into account that your character wasn't smart enough to read the small text. The idea here is that the boss will make the character do a number of sketchy things that the character might not want to do, only, if he or she doesn't, they could be sold into slavery or worse.

The Kangaroo Court

Quote:A kangaroo court is a judicial tribunal or assembly that blatantly disregards recognized standards of law or justice, and often carries little or no official standing in the territory within which it resides. Merriam-Webster defines it as "a mock court in which the principles of law and justice are disregarded or perverted".
-From the wikipedia page on kangaroo courts.

This event will be likely be personalized by a certain race or at least faction (horde, neutral, or alliance). The characters involved will be led to believe that this is a real court of law due to the npcs that will be involved. Some characters will be accused of a crime that they didn't do and some characters will be assigned to a jury comprised of a bunch of asinine and nasty npcs. They will likely have to fight for their opinion as a minority. This is the type of event that could cater to social/psychological horror more than anything.

Cursed

Your character has been cursed and turned into something else, perhaps what he or she was most afraid of turning into. What will he or she have to go through to break the curse?

What is certain about these events:

1) They will be sign-up events, and limited to a small group of people.
2) If too many people sign up for a single event, the event can be done more than once for the later sign ups.
3) Most of them will likely require a few questions to be answered by the player before they can be signed up, in order for me to make the events effective.
4) The events will be posted some time before they are actually done, in order for there to be plenty of time for planning and setting up.
5) Most of these will be survival type events, meaning they will take place over the span of a few days, during specific hours of the day.
6) While I want all characters to survive all of these events, I also want to establish that in many of them, your characters might be losing things and not getting them back at the end of the event. But these types of things can be discussed beforehand, in order for the players to be fine with it. Loss will be highly encouraged.

Other things:

-If you have another idea for a horror event, post it here or send me a PM about it!

-Make sure to vote for the ideas you like to give me an idea as to what I should do first and what I shouldn't do at all. Post your thoughts about why or why not a certain event should be done.
[-] The following 11 users Like Geoni's post:
  • Ural, KomodoTheCashew, ImagenAshyun, c0rzilla, Thoradin, Cerb57, Edgar, MstrCorvus, Delta, Vladdy, Aethon
PM
I am absolutely giddy for this idea! I'm a crazy obsessed horror book, movie, game fan.
I've heard a lot about the kidnapped event in the past so I assume a lot of people would absolutely be down for that. Personally, I really like Quarantine and Experiment the most. The Bad Boss is also really cool, moral dilemmas and all.

Maybe string together a couple of these? I can see my Worgen Mercenary, for example, think he is signing a contract for another job for him and fellow adventurers he tries to get in on this awesomely paying easy job. The group learns that they were signed into a prisoner exchange. They find they're in a terrible work camp with a pretty scary foreman who makes them fight their own morals in order to stay safe. (Forced to fight those of their own tribes, forced to kill innocent people, ect.) Those who don't do what their captors want are experimented on and tortured. The group finds a chance to escape and finds themselves followed and hunted by the guards and foreman from the camp. Would they live? Maybe. Will they return un-scared? Not at all.

Please absolutely do this, I would be willing to help if you need it!
PM
That's a good idea, Cashew! I'd definitely be open to doing something like that as well. I'd just have to see how signups go and if I don't get a lot I could carry certain characters through a number of them.

Also, I changed the name of the kidnapped idea to hostage because Lox practically has a copyright on the Kidnapped name at this point.
PM
Kangaroo Court. Matthew accused of being a traitor to Stormwind.

What a nightmare.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mathias's post:
  • Thoradin, Esthrunil, Delta
PM
As I've said before, I like curses for plots, especially ones that pervert one's wishes. An undead character wishes to be filled with life and ends up infested with vines and plants. A Worgen wishes to be cured of their half-Worg state, and gets turned into a Worg. A Paladin wishes to be one with the Light, gets turned into an incorporeal form of light, lower-case.

Things like that. It could further be used to fit into some of the above scenarios, but what can I say? Body horror is the most interesting kind of horror tone because it is horrific but external. A character is going to actively fight and be changed by something like this, and is less likely to just go into an angst spiral, at least as far as my writing goes.
PM
(02-13-2014, 09:42 PM)Dae Wrote: As I've said before, I like curses for plots, especially ones that pervert one's wishes. An undead character wishes to be filled with life and ends up infested with vines and plants. A Worgen wishes to be cured of their half-Worg state, and gets turned into a Worg. A Paladin wishes to be one with the Light, gets turned into an incorporeal form of light, lower-case.

Things like that. It could further be used to fit into some of the above scenarios, but what can I say? Body horror is the most interesting kind of horror tone because it is horrific but external. A character is going to actively fight and be changed by something like this, and is less likely to just go into an angst spiral, at least as far as my writing goes.

(02-13-2014, 09:42 PM)Dae Wrote: As I've said before, I like curses for plots, especially ones that pervert one's wishes. An undead character wishes to be filled with life and ends up infested with vines and plants. A Worgen wishes to be cured of their half-Worg state, and gets turned into a Worg. A Paladin wishes to be one with the Light, gets turned into an incorporeal form of light, lower-case.

Oh my god. A Goblin who wants a million gold, gets turned into a statue valued at a million gold. Genius, why have I not thought of this?
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

[-] The following 1 user Likes Thoradin's post:
  • KomodoTheCashew
Awesome suggestion Dae.

A new option, Cursed, has been added to the poll! It didn't get a head start, but let's see if it can catch up.
PM
Sign me up for any of these events and I'll come with a brave face and leave my sanity at the door.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Ooooh, horror events. So many of these sound like fun. My favourite ideas would have to be Hunted, Stranded, Experiment, Quarantine, and Bad Boss, though. (Narrows it down, doesn't it?)I'd be down for events like these.

[Image: USYWXqZ.gif]
PM
Giving this a bump to see if I can squeeze a few more votes in. And input for ideas before I start planning these events.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Geoni's post:
  • Vladdy
PM
My In-laws are pretty scary-Oh. Ehm...Experimentation?
[Image: 54079-Dr-Evil-air-quotes-lasers-gif-A6nY.gif]
PM
When it comes to Horror...
I like the thought of having a "It was all just a dream or was it?" aspect. Did all of this happen? Were only bits and parts of it real? If so, what was going on?
I enjoy mental break downs and mystery, psychological trauma in short.
I hope you do well with planning your event ideas. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Quote:"Your faction is the underdog right?
You always lose and suck at everything.
You lose towns, people and your second in command is a 14-year old who uses dark magic on his protectors and runs away alone the the wilderness."
- Panoss from the WoW retail forums
PM
(02-15-2014, 07:17 PM)Alliicce Wrote: I enjoy mental break downs and mystery, psychological trauma in short.

...That explains a lot.
Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will, that allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

- Algalon, The Observer

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_m00qfdoBWr1qd87hlo1_500.gif]

i am sea-bass
PM
I will work my hardest to make sure that a psychological element is present in many of these events: hack and slash is horror, sure, but an attack on the psyche is even more so.
PM

[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.