The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

How far does WoWUniverse knowledge stretch?
So I bring up one of the long-time questions once more. WoWUniverse knowledge! But...in a different form, this time.

Sure, people in WoW know lots about technology. Guns, tanks, etc. But...what about physical health? How far can it be assumed that WoW knows?
Do people in WoW know that weightlifting makes you stronger? Or, say, push-ups? Do they even know what push-ups are? People use their strength and energy to do things and survive, so it wouldn't seem logical to waste energy that way. I've seen people do push-ups ICly, but...is that accurate? Would that happen?

Do people in WoW know what weightlifting is? But, on the other end of the spectrum. Do people in WoW know what yoga/stretching/the power of relaxation is? I had an idea for a character of the most peaceful, serene person, traveling and spreading the joys of relaxation and yoga-like stretches. So...is it logical? Would something like yoga be known, or be alien?
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Thread title reaction:

[Image: Image_Resize_Medium.asp?MiscImage=11K-41304-0]
Exercise?

Well yes, to be logical, it exists. I'm sure that people of most races know that lifting x amount of weight constantly will make you stronger, and so they do it.

As for yoga? That's a little more specific and a lot of the named poses and stretches are religious in nature, so they'd be a little different in WoW. I'm sure that some people also understand that stretching is beneficial and do it in some way.

I'm not sure if body training is mentioned all that specifically or elaborated on until the introduction of the monk class.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
I'd say it would be safe to say that any sort of spiritual practice in the real world would have a magically-inclined analogue in WoW. High Elves use meditation as a way of coping with their magic addiction, for example.

As for medical stuff, I'd be really surprised if they knew half as much as we do in the real world. With all kinds of healing magics, shadow magic for mental issues and the likes... there simply wouldn't be half as much effort put into the fleshy little details. Even with necromancy, most undead existing in Azeroth today has something to do with the plague of undeath. Certain rituals are performed on plague-infested corpses to mutate them into desired forms, like abominations.

The thing is, though, with the known existence of several sorts of planes and the Old Gods and the likes, there's no way of knowing if things work the same on a molecular level in the Warcraftverse. It could just happen to be a decent facsimile to the real world on the surface, like how we came from earlier primates while wow humans came from giant robots made by even larger, cosmic and interdimensional space giants.
Well, if we wish to acknowledge the magical side of things, how far exactly does bodily health go? Blood pressure, brain activity, even to go as far as says GENES. Is a magic user affected by these things to the same degree as real humanity? If so, would something like, say, yoga, implement the same changes on WoW individuals as it does real life? (Lowering blood pressure, increased brain activity, less activity of stress hormones, etc.)
This is a pretty good thread! Thanks for making it!

I'd say that, as has been said above, the use of magic is a crutch. We forget just how incredibly difficult it would be to learn about how our bodies work - it's the 21st century IRL and we've only really broached past musculature, etc in the past couple of decades. Considering that in WoW, the highest medical knowledge (without the assistance of magic) seems to come from Stormwind and other Human nations, which is based around the... 1600s, 1700s? We'd not know a lot of things - particularly how diseases work, and I'm pretty sure most diseases are considered a spiritual ailment as well as a physical one ingame (even with civilisations as enlightened as the Night Elves, they'd probably view the flu as something being up with the spirits of nature. And heck, maybe it is in Warcraft's lore).

I think the best ballpark would be "We know how the framework of our bodies work - the skeleton does this, the veins do this. I dunno what this big squishy thing in the head does yet, but I think it helps us think? Time to apply my daily leeches, I feel kind of bad in the blood."

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
But on a level of canon information, what about character sheets? Stats including strength, stamina, HEALTH REGENERATION. Is this information simply not applied realistically to characters? If so, how exactly would we know that kind of stuff? Just shrug and "eh, Blizzard said it so it's true"? Or could this actually be applied?

But then again, RPing around here, strong characters never depend on Strength, so I guess not.

But in another case, if we count IC encounters, how is it able to be explained that people can RP doctors, surgeons, people that know what organs are and how they work? Where is the line between IC and OOC in being knowledgeable about anatomy and body composition of WoWUniverse?

If people aren't aware, in canon, of how these things work, how do you explain plague scientists being able to raise those stitched up abominations, and things like that, without knowing at least the simple complexion of a body? I'm just curious to hear everybody's opinion on where to draw the line on knowledge.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blood Elf common knowledge Irasis 21 4,086 06-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Last Post: lemmi