The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

How to -NOT- get banned: Things to know about CoTH
I AM SAD THAT I FEEL THIS GUIDE IS NEEDED.

With that being said, here is the first tagline of the Guide. Follow the rules.

Easy, right? Well, you'd think, but believe it or not there are those that think they are for show, or something. Or that we are -loose- with it.

CoTH isn't.

One thing we take pride in, is quality. "Why Rensin, what's quality?"

Glad you asked, Jimmy. Quality is when something is -above- the normal standard. Meaning, that with Roleplay and Maturity, we adhere to some very high levels here at CoTH.

Let's look at the rules, shall we?

http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Rules

1. Respect
Ahh, good old number one. The thing we actually ban people on the most, because it covers the widest spectrum of things. Respect. I'd quote what it says, but I know you guys have read it!

If not, I'll go into some detail. Respect, on CoTH, is something we expect everyone to give regardless of race, gender, religion, creed, sexuality, marital status, number of children, age, nationality, origin of birth, favorite color... basically. And, I'll highlight this... if someone could take offense to it, DON'T DO IT. It's usually common sense.

This includes racist jokes, dead baby jokes (Two GMs are parents here, remember that.), sexist jokes, or anything that could potentially hurt any group of people.

Respect encompasses also how you interact with people OOCly. While IC arguing is fine, we expect that out of character you be courtious to your neighbor at all times. Basically, if you don't like what Bill-Bob did to your Paladin with his DK, we'd better not see you in chat telling him what he can do with his sword. It doesn't matter if they are a player, or a GM, -be nice-. It's the -easiest- rule to follow, yet again... the one we mostly ban for. Sad indeed.

2. Tolerance
This really goes hand in hand with numero uno. If you are -respecting- someone, then you should be tolerating them as well. We do not welcome any sort of hateful remarks about anything, -regardless- of what you believe or "how compelling" your argument for disliking someone is. If you really feel you are in the right for spewing hate, then you don't need to be here.

If someone has this in their reason for a ban, most likely rule one is right there with it.

3. Language

Not too long ago, this was brought up, even though it's fairly well written in the Wiki. We do not allow people to use vulger language ((In other words, anything you may not hear on normal television)) on the forums or in public chat. Swearing is okay in Adult, BUT YOU MUST BE OVER 18 TO BE IN ADULT. -Excessive- swearing in the channels is also frowned upon, unless in adult. If someone keeps spamming "ass" over and over, they will get a boot!

Rape
Racism
Drug use

Those three items above, are not allowed in -any- of our chat channels, adult or not. They are sensative subject that we do -not- go near. Ever.

Keep in mind, language IC is acceptable! Just try to keep to your character.

4. Maturity
The -second- most broken rule here at CoTH, maturity. I know, we are not soley an adult community. Does that mean you guys can run around and act like you're two? No. We expect you to convey yourself in an adult, rational matter. This means resolving issues with rational, tact, and good manners. Part of maturity is also accepting responsibility for yourself! If you break a rule, and recieve a boot (something -very- minor in CoTH, since all it really does is take a shot at your ego.), don't get all ticked at the GM who tossed it to you and "give them a piece of your mind". THAT WON'T FLY. If, say you -were- in the right in the first place*, that is completely -negate- by the time you present your immaturity.

*Remember, if you have a problem with a GM, you can express it to another GM, or if you feel the need, an administrator such as Kretol or Grakor. That's the mature way to handle the matter.

5. Roleplay

Mm, this is one you guys will have a hard time hearing. We have banned people for not doing things the right way with RP. What does that mean? People who have blatantly ignored us when we try to help them with profiles, or have consistantly rolled something that isn't standard or that is considered a "Mary Sue", we tend to ban them under the statement "We unanimously feel you are not a right fit for the server".

This is something that's done after a long, long while. Why? We try to really help people out in this area, cutting them some slack when it comes to two major points, creativity and functionality.

We expect when people come here, they have a grasp of what WoW's lore is about. If you roll a character, it might be good to check up on their races lore! We don't want vampire Draenei or the like here, but for the same token we won't give you a slap on the wrist if you are -truly- taking into account what we ask from you.

I've known -several- people who weren't great roleplayers when they came here! MYSELF included!

Check this website for more details on WoW lore, if need be.

WoWWiki.

6. Keyboard Skills
We've never banned anyone soley on their keyboard skills. Ever. We try to advocate improvement in this area, as it can be difficult to do at all times for some people. Especially if you don't happen to have English as a first language.

But, when it's a part of a long list of things wrong with a person, it's certainly a factor that can attribute to their ban.

7. Knowing When to Quit
Can you differ between IC and OOC? Good, you shouldn't have a problem with this rule.

But, for the sake of this guide, I'll tell you what this rule means. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT start fights OOC for IC crap. That's -very- wrong to do, and shows that you have trouble distancing yourself from your character. Yeah, we know people don't always like to have someone they've worked on for (insert number) months, weeks, or years injured or killed, but to pile it onto someone who is doing these things ICly to you is just plain wrong.

Another aspect of this rule, is arguing. Especially with GMs, or over topics on the forums. If you blather on and on about how right you are and how everone is wrong... does that show you know how to quit?

Nope, it doesn't. This is another frequently broken rule.

8. Humility
If you are the center of attention all the time, OOC or IC, and you are that because you always play yourself as being the center of attention... you draw notice quite fast. I know currently, and have known -many- players like this. It's okay to want to be front and center... but everyone else also would like to be in on this stuff too.

If I were to ever see anyone say "Well, my character is going to win because they are better than yours", in more or less words, you'd get a ban letter faster than you can spell Rensin. And yes, I've seen it before.

Don't be a glory hog, we all play heros of Azeroth, guys. Don't be a special snowflake all the time.

9. Godmoding

Godmoding. It can be laid on thick, or it can be subtle.

Basically, if you can predict what anyone does from using OOC material, you are Godmoding. If you automatically win every fight, you are godmoding. If you dodge everything, you are godmoding. If you are the most beautiful thing ever to be seen by any eyes, you are godmoding. If you act out another person's actions for them, you are godmoding. If you fight, and neglect to say "attempt" or something like it, so that you score an autohit, you are Godmoding.

Now, let's look at the word. "Godmoding". It, in it's self, means to make something "Godly", yes? What this means, is too powerful, or too perfect. It's also called "Mary Sue" here.

10. Introductions

If you are reading this, chances are you have an approved introduction. But, this is sort of our "duh" test here at CoTH. We don't need a novel for the answers, but we -sure- do want you to put effort into it. One sentance intros don't cut it.

11. Faction and NPC deaths

Killing guards, opposing faction NPCs, and any non-standard mob, for the sake of killing it is not tolerated here. If you want to go as your Troll and kill Stormwind guards, you should go to another server, perhaps a PVE one that better suits you.

Not only will you get in trouble OOCly for it, but you'll also get your reputation docked, even if it's your faction.

Another big, -big- part of this is ignoring NPCs ICly. This happens a lot. People RP about killing, fighting, and general dissodence infront of NPCs all the time. This will result in a docking of Reputation. Repeat offenses -are noted-. Your character will face IC consequences for it. -It also reflects poorly on you as a roleplayer, especially if it isn't your intent-.

12. Exploitation.
Hacking, or taking advantage of any ingame errors, such as items priced too much, or free items, or broken NPCs are considered taking advantage of exploits.

Kretol -despises- this especially. This makes Mr. Admin angry, and he usually bans people for it right away, when he catches them.

Hacking is a do-no-pass-go instaban.

Okay. Those are the rules.

I'm not done.

There are policies you have to follow, forum rules, and the numerous stickies we have. We don't ban over those, but they do fall under the rules, so it's best to know those thing rather than have them crop up.

Here are my own personal tips.

-Don't badger GMs. We do what we do for fun, and when someone is being a jerk to us, we don't feel it nessiccary to be nice back. If your cool to us, we won't have a problem with you.

-Let us know if something is wrong. We can't help you if you don't provide us with information, and if you get caught up in something wrong... well, too little, too late.

-Honestly, read the rules. They aren't hard to follow.

-Use common sense.

-Don't anything even -remotely- offensive, no matter how "funny". We have humor, but we also want you guys to show tact.

-Be polite.

-If you get angry.. take a break. I do that all the time, even when I'm just -stressed-.

-Don't get to thinkin' it's "all about you". This is a MMORPG. Not final fantasy 7.

-Be respectful. Oh, wait, that's a rule!

-Don't... try sucking up. That usually backfires.

-Make sure you -are- having fun. If CoTH is for some reason becoming a chore, then your attitude will definately change.

-Stay IC! That means, don't try to make your character a carbon copy of yourself. That usually leads to hurt feelings, or severe attatchment down the road. Believe it or not, I'm not -really- Rensin OOC! (Thank God.)

-Read. Read read read. There is a lot of info here, and a -majority- of RP is reading, so we expect you will see what we right.

The biggest tip I can give you, is this. Ignorance to our rules does not mean you are exempt.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Rensin Wrote:-Make sure you -are- having fun. If CoTH is for some reason becoming a chore, then your attitude will definately change.

eep.

Anyway, you forgot to add the last note to the list!

13: Be Maulbane. A har-di-harhar-di-har.

Whatever amazing and true points suggested by Maulbane you may have omitted, I do find it disappointing that this had to be said as well. Then again, I should probably read this twice.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
*Cough*

9. Humility

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

:wink:

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
I will add more when I see fit, and according to what the other GMs say to me, heh. I don't thing I've forgotten anything, but this -really- covers our reasons for giving out bans to people, even in regards to the "Not a right fit" category.

I'd elaborate, but again, you should all read it. Heh.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I suppose it's never nice to have reminder topics like this, but everyone does, on a really, really, really rare occasion, break a rule or two. We're not all perfect.
But I'm not trying to say we should be exempt because of our little (Really, really, really little) imperfections, thats not an excuse, But if we go into excess and ignore the warnings, well, thats a lot worse.

Like Rensin said, Quality is something CotH is proud of. We may not be perfect, but we can get better in quality.
And I mean, the people reading this should already understand that.

That's about my two cents for this. Just what I felt needed to be said.
And Maulbane... *sigh*
"... And we're off to another exciting adventure!"
[Image: 8LlaM.jpg]
"No we are not!"
Yes, like I've said, this stuff is usually accumulative. The only insta-bans are the rare instance where someone takes these to an extreme, unless it's hacking/exploiting. That's always a ban, or a three-day in the case of exploiting.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Great list. I just have to ask one thing completely off topic, directed at Rensin. I've seen your avatar for a while, what's it from? And sorry for the random thing, it's just bugging me that I don't know what it is.