The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Inactivity as of late - Feedbacks!
...Just kind of re-realized something.

There have been exceedingly few character deaths within the past number of months. Maybe a year? Likely a result of the general population drop on the server. I remember when I first joined there'd be, maybe, one every one or two months.

Don't know if that's relevant, but it's a note I felt the wish to express.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
I had a character death two months ago or so. Another one a couple weeks back. THey happen, they're just not overly publicized.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Krest be dead yo~ He died two weeks ago. I still have yet to make his funeral post.
I wasn't expecting an analysis and a surge of rebuttals about one's own characters, heh.

Adventure and risk and death just seemed empty lately. I dunno.

Musings when I should be sleeping.

Ohay the sentences get shorter and shorter EXCEPT THIS ONE.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
It's like haku! But not really.

On a more serious note I've noticed there has been less and less risk around the server myself. I think I've seen.. three CW sense returning from my ban a couple months ago (Most of which were mine). The smaller group left don't seem to be interested in damaging their characters either permanently or at all. Ah well.
*raises hand* I do adventure RP a fair deal but I too have noticed it dwindling a bit. Kage, C0r, let's bring it back!
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Needs more dead dogs and dead elves.
Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will, that allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

- Algalon, The Observer
(10-19-2013, 01:45 AM)Kage Wrote: On a more serious note I've noticed there has been less and less risk around the server myself.

The reason for this is because there is no risk in the first place. There's no reason to engage in conflict when a character is going to be back in a week with no repercussions for their death. Any inter-guild conflict RP is pretty much thrown out the door because it's going to turn into an endless cycle of people killing each other, and most don't want to invest the time or effort of a storyline into something so meaningless and anticlimactic.

I know I'm not particularly active, but I did spend several years here on CotH and I enjoy seeing it do well; That being said, since I'm not active, take my advice with a grain of salt.
  • Return the death policy to Perma-Death after two lost lives (Private discussion appeals for further resurrections)
  • Give something for people to aspire to. The prestige system was flawed, but it gave a sense of purpose past RPing for the sake of RP.
  • I heard some talk about bringing the custom patches back. If you do, consider not limiting yourself to the work other people have done. If anyone on the server has experience with code (*cough* @DuskWolf *cough*) talk to them about coming up with interesting custom stuff for the server
  • @Kretol: Take a long, hard look at the GM team. I know they're your friends, but are all of them really doing their jobs, and are all of them really necessary?
  • @Grakor456: World Interaction: WoW's lore, quite frankly, took a turn for the horrible. You should really try and reconsider your opinion on keeping the server specifically Blizz-like. Let people change the lore; Let people feel important.

In all honesty though, I think the main issue is WoW. A lot of people on the server have been playing this game for 5, 6, or in my case 7 years, and we're probably just done. There's bigger, better, newer games to be played, and a lot of the server's regulars were in a similar age range. An age range where they've moved out of their parent's houses, and into a new life, usually full of relationships, RL friends (Gasp, what are those?), work, and university.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
Quote:@Grakor456: World Interaction: WoW's lore, quite frankly, took a turn for the horrible. You should really try and reconsider your opinion on keeping the server specifically Blizz-like. Let people change the lore; Let people feel important.

I half-contest this. Regardless of if you think WoW's lore got worse or not, the name of the game became conquest and world changing, so like I said beforehand, let US roleplay that out. We DO need to feel important, and we dont have to veer off into crazy Fanfiction territory to accomplish it.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
I've been taken to a Neverwinter Nights Private server. Everything you get there, you earn for yourself. Gold, weapons, gear? All earned, and it's all done through IC. You can own houses, decorate them, and do a multitude of other things that make the world feel real. Persistant. It's something that's really hard to attain on CoTH... and makes it just... feel honestly a bit less. There's good RP and RPer's here, but man does it feel teaparty now. There's not much to aspire to other than what you've already put in your history because it's just so difficult to have anything done.

Conquests and the like is fine... but we also need to be able to do so in a way that makes it less about "The whole group!" and something that even an individual can claim. Hard part with the Neverwinter server? A lot is done in PvP. So, when you lose? It's because you're weak. Hard to translate that into CoTh so that an individual has to WORK to become strong.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

If this pertains to anything what so ever you can't be afraid change. In the world of Culinary there's one thing that's always been important. Change. If the concept isn't working anymore and you're loosing customers (Players) you have to change the concept. You can't be afraid of it. If you can't change, you sink. I don't want to see Coth sink.
A thought I've been running through my head is to restrict people to X amount of characters. (Possibly suggested before.) I mean, its great to have 30 profiled characters to show off the diversity and different races/alignments/personalities one may play, but in the end, you won't ever play all 30 actively. (Disregarding dual accounts/multi-boxing currently for events or the like.)

It may help in restoring a persistent world, story and character progression when people don't have a toon perfectly prepared for every possible situation out there. I'm not talking about restricting them to certain views or areas they walk into per se, because inner-conflict during a quest (DMed event) can be just as fun. Keep them open-minded to a degree, or willing to work with others but don't have them perfectly prepared for every situation.

"Shall we search for a key for this door? Nobody here that can pick locks?"
"Screw that! Takes too long!" /me attempts to break the lock with his iron boot, hoping to kick it open.
"No! That'll be too noisy!"
"And your shouting won't be? Let him just kick the door open before I blast it open!"

Sorta a bad example, but it somewhat shows what I mean with a 'conflict' or 'option' arising. Less characters around, RP said characters more and see what they can get into. Sometimes they can't join something going on, so try to set up something your character can get into or question why they can't get into a specific RP. Conflicting alignments? Shouldn't be that much of a reason. Hostility? Alright, have a fight then, fights are RP. Restricted areas? Well, in that case you are somewhat screwed because a human won't prance around in Orgrimmar. (Not for long any-how.)

Personally, I find myself RPing 'best'/persistent when I stay under four toons. Right now, I got an elf scout/bounty hunter, and a human bum/pickpocket. (My previous alts are still 'alive' in the sense of undeleted, but considering I haven't RPed them in months, I consider them deceased, MIA or happily ever after.) (Note, that's me. I'm sure some lenience can be considered for toons engaged in storylines, guilds, etc. I'm not saying "Hey lets restrict every account to 4 characters!" )
I think more possibilities should be added if anything, not restrictions. I don't think that restricting people like that will make them want to play more. In fact I feel it would have the opposite effect.

As for why I haven't been around for a year or probably more? Hidden behind this spoiler is a long rant bout my negative feelings towards the server and what drove me away. Don't take this as complaining or anything like that. This is how I felt when I left. Things have changed since then, though some things still hold true such as feeling like an outcast to the server.

It's just a rant of why I left, why I haven't come back, and other things that will probably seem like (And maybe are) just a bunch of crying.

Spoiler:
I've honestly been playing retail and haven't really had any drive to come back and play on the server. And it's not actually as simple as a disinterest in RP. I've actually come to prefer RP on retail. The main cause of this is back when I left the server making the thread saying I wasn't coming back (I'm a liar) I was starting to feel far too restricted.

I felt as if people were picking out every single detail and twisting everything to only allow certain things rather than giving us the freedom to have fun here as we want.

I understand that most, if not all people on this server want to follow lore closely. I'm not saying I wanted to RP as a dragon or a timelord or something. But people were just plain being far too picky with detail.

One example is when I was trying to make a druid who was able to take on the form of a cat at a very young age I believe. Of course, the issue brought up was that she would not be able to change form at such a young age and that druidism took many years to learn.

However, when asked for a source or reference for that argument, nobody could give me anything. But the profile was still denied acceptance (Not declined permanently) because a member of the staff didn't like the idea.

That wasn't something I wanted to be a part of. It felt as if the staff were using their power to enforce their own beliefs about parts of lore that should be left up to the individual. Refusing to accept a profile because you don't like something in it is not what being a GM should be about. GMs aren't here to enforce their beliefs and opinions on others with their powers. They are supposed to be here to stop that sort of behavior and make our time here more pleasant for everyone. At least that's what it should be like if you ask me.

Another issue I had was that it felt more like the server had a little closed off group of 'veteran' people who have been here longer than everyone else, and I as a new player of only about a year was just someone looking in from the outside. Maybe it's just me, and I'm sure I'll be told so. But that's how it felt. This feeling was reinforced when I felt like the staff treated me coldly or like they were above me. And of course, when people started to spend time with the staff and get close to them, they were pulled into the group. But it seemed to me more like picking another 'cool kid' for the 'cool corner'. I started to be able to actually predict who would become forum helpers and trial GMs based on who they usually spent their time with.

And I was right most of the time. People who spent their time with X group would tend to rise up in the ranks and become staff members themselves. And then one of my closest friends was bumped up to a forum helper. And suddenly they practically cut contact with me. It felt horrible to think that the server's 'higher ups' looked down on me.

But that brings me to yet another problem. The feeling that if I ever said anything or spoke out with my feelings that I'd get in trouble. After all, as far as I was concerned all the staff were this closely tied up group of friends that if you messed with one of them, you messed with all of them. And of course there were plenty of people who weren't staff members that molded into the group. So speaking out and saying I felt like an outcast, felt like it would just make things worse. Like everyone would just laugh at me and push me even further away, or heck even just smack me with a banhammer for speaking my mind.

That's how it felt, and honestly I don't think anyone would want to feel that way.

Over time, I notice people practically explode and disappear from the server, leaving behind nothing more than a "I can't take it anymore" thead. I don't mean a rage thread or anything. Just those threads that say they have had enough of something that remains unspoken and they need to "take a step back." Yet they are never heard from again. Like they take the step back and keep walking.

I feel like a lot of the problems on the server originate from looking down on retail. I could be completely wrong. But that's my observation. The hate for people on retail who RP as dragons or kings and queens and striving so hard to not be like them, that the community becomes almost... elitest. I don't like using that word. But honestly... a lot of my bad experiences on the server were what I would expect from dealing with elitests, and I can easily compare them to my interactions with elitest PvPers or PvEers on retail.

I'm not calling anyone an elitest. I just mean that when it comes to my bad experiences on the server, they seem to have been one of two things.

Either something I could easily relate to interacting with an elitest or a group of elitests.

Or being an outcast of a group of the 'cool kids' of the server.

That's just my feelings. And that's what drove me away from the server. The fact that no matter how wrong about all this I may be, it's still how I felt.

So I took a step back like many have done. But I kept watching from the sidelines. And so far I haven't been able to see anything to bring me back.
Spoiler:
__________$$$$_____$$___$$$$$$_______
_________$$$$$______$$_$_____$$______
________$$$$$_______$$________$______
________$$$$$_______$_______$________
________$$$$$$_____$_______$_________
_________$$$$$$____$______$__________
__________$$$$$$$$_______$___________
__$$$_________$$$$$$$_$$_____________
$$$$$$$_________$$$__________________
_$$$$$$$_________$___________________
__$$$$$$_________$$__________________
___$$$___$_______$$__________________
___________$_____$___________________
_______$$$$_$___$____________________
_____$$$$$$__$_$$____________________
____$$$$$$$___$$_____________________
____$$$$$______$_____________________
____$$$________$_____________________
____$__________$_____________________
_____________$_$_____________________
______________$$_____________________
_______________$_____________________
Restrictions to create the illusion of a sense of achievement do not appeal to me at all. There are places where such is the norm, and I'd much sooner not see CotH go down that road. There is nothing stopping you from working towards your own IC goals through personal and public storylines. You don't really need mechanics to limit you, you can do that just fine yourself if that's the sort of progress you want to make. If you get fun outta that, fantastic! Job well done. No one else is imposed upon, nor must they be.

I'm sorry those things deterred you, Aadora. I agree with some parts of what you said, but not much with other bits, particularly the points within the spoilered section. Nevertheless, we are all free to avoid things we dislike and involve ourselves in things we enjoy. It's just sad that you cannot enjoy CotH any longer.
but delta i must get bonuses in roll fight when you dont and win every time
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.