The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Inactivity as of late - Feedbacks!
you dont need bonuses against my Britical rolls, xigo
How to improve the server in 3 easy steps:

1: Give Xigo terrible rolls all the time.
2: ???
3: PROFIT!
(10-21-2013, 05:49 PM)Xigo Wrote: but delta i must get bonuses in roll fight when you dont and win every time

Not even close to what anyone was saying.

Of course, the community's attitude towards change is the same. Yes, it'd mean you'd have to work for things. Yes, mechanics can limit you. Till you work past it. Thing is, we don't need to have some form of strict adherence to this---we can still get our free shiny crap, just now some of it you can work towards. Maybe houses, owning shops, titles, conquests, bragging right that "I slayed x in y"... anything to defeat this stagnation that currently exists.

It's not totally about RP, as I've said numerous times. Sometimes it's the attitude of the community, one of the things that we have going on is this idea and fear of change, because we've become so accustomed to getting things for free, we've become so accustomed to "Riskless" RP, that when that's threated... well.

Spoiler:
[Image: 51b50104afa96f6fc10000bd.jpg?w=381]

You could argue same goes for people keeping their characters and their being no restart. And you're right! Thing is--we could make improvements without it being heavy handed. We could do this without harming what's already been established.

Not everything is about "i'm sooper speshul", sometimes it's just about "I want to do SOMETHING, darnit. This gets boring." 'Cause it does. Nothing "fresh" can change the fact that not much happens on CoTH because there's a lot of limits.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

That's something I keep seeing come up time and time again. The whole clique issue, particularly when it comes to the GMs.

... It's kind of funny to me. Not because of the criticism itself, because I fully understand where people are coming from and I can see where people get these ideas. But, at the same time, it amuses me. ... People like me? We feel extremely lonely on this server.

I don't want to turn this into a whine or anything, but I just want to describe in short how my position on the server makes me feel. Lonely. There aren't a whole lot of people I feel like I can speak with openly, not even on the GM team. That's something that seems to be shared by many of the GMs, honestly. We feel alienated from eachother most of the time and we were surprised to realize most of us felt the same way about it. We also feel alienated from the community, which is sort of a natural consequence to being a staff member. Old friends cut ties because you suddenly start disagreeing with them or because you refuse to let them in on juicy staff secrets (because people try; believe me). You become a threat to them and their buddies because you become one of the people who could potentially stand between you and your continued stay on the server.

When it comes to picking new staff... Yeah, we often feel more comfortable with people we know who we can trust with the position. If we're going to be working with them, trust is a must. You gain access to a lot of information and tools upon becoming a member of the staff and we need to be able to trust you to deal with it. There's nothing strange about that. Even so, sometimes we have to say no to our friends because we know them well enough to know their bad qualities especially well. Being friends with the staff is not your guaranteed ticket to a staff position; plenty of times, it's been the opposite.

As for being banned for speaking your mind... I can't remember when something like that happened last. Other than the people who decided to do it by spewing insults and create drama very knowingly as a consequence by being flat out rude or not knowing the meaning of tact. Grand Exits are an example. Threads like this one should honestly attest to the openness in the community. We keep opening up threads like these and I know we ask for feedback all the time. I'm not sure why people still fear giving it to us when we constantly ask.

Anyways, that's all I wanted to say, heh.
[Image: 37013banhammer.jpg]

Whether or not it's not used as often as people think, people still fear it. People have lost friends to the hammer on this server, and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth. People who've gotten banned and have come back dread even more then the normal populace. And with good reason. This is a place that people come to rp. They don't want to loose anyone else if they've lost someone.

I've talked to several people about why they've left and it boils down to one thing, no matter how lonely the GM team seems to be, you still have to be buddies with them to get anywhere.

Or at least that's their view. But as Loxxy said, it is pretty true, and for good reason. You do have to trust these people not to go blabbing around with what is being talked about. But for those who don't normally agree with the GM's or even dislike a GM giving feedback feels more like a pool of sharks to them. They tread -carefully- trying not to step on anyone's toes because they fear a backlash of the people who believe they are close to x GM. It's hard to give someone constructive criticism about their flaws when you feel like five or six people will come in telling you your wrong and you don't know what your talking about.

Appearances mean more then mere words I'm afraid. You could have made the best tasting chicken in the world. But if it looks like crap, no one will eat it. So if people think there's a clique biased on appearances, you're going to be hard pressed to prove otherwise. I know several GM's and I know it's not actually like that, but at the same time as someone who is often on the outside looking in it does actually seem that way.

And with loosing a friend to the position, it's a two way street. I've personally lost a good friend of mine because they joined the team. They left because being part of the team was just too stressful and Coth became work, not fun. But with some of the people I've talked to when their friends became a GM or a Forum Helper or what have you they started to drift away. Characters that use to rp with them would disappear and they'd have less time for rp because they had to help the server. So they'd start to pick a close group of friends to rp with and that would become smaller and smaller because other people would just drift away.

Loosing friends due to a color change is a two way street. I've seen it and felt it myself. I don't know what can fix that, or if it can at all. I guess it's just what happens.
(10-22-2013, 04:15 AM)Kage Wrote: ...People who've gotten banned and have come back dread even more then the normal populace...

Hey, I'm the poster child for this, and I'm not as worried as you'd think! I guess that's because it's been like, three years, but still.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
(10-22-2013, 04:23 AM)Maulbane Wrote:
(10-22-2013, 04:15 AM)Kage Wrote: ...People who've gotten banned and have come back dread even more then the normal populace...

Hey, I'm the poster child for this, and I'm not as worried as you'd think! I guess that's because it's been like, three years, but still.

So am I. Been about three months. Still kinda fearful.
I'm starting to think that from a GM's side, there's nothing more they can do. If people still fear them for whatever reason then that sucks, but perhaps said people should look into their own fears and try to rationalize them as being real or not. Every fear can feel real, but is it truly? That's really all I can ask on that topic, I've seen it come by so many times before that I'm pretty speechless on it by now. I'm also asking that question because I was in the position of fearing GM's and all that, paranoia for a previous ban and so on. In the end, it was my own insecurity mixed with many real life issues leading to said fears, not what the team was actually doing.

That's all I got. Again, not saying people's fears are irrational or untrue, just take a look at them from a more distanced perspective. What is it what GM's did to actually make you afraid? Ban people? I've seen supposed permanently banned people return to CotH so even a permanent ban isn't always permanent. <3
If you've been banned and mess up you can't appeal your now new ban ever again, and thus are no longer allowed on Coth. You can come back from one ban, but you can't come back from a second.
Such is the theory, but you notice things when you are around for three years. ^^ I'm not saying its a bad thing (I mean hell, I'd rather have people here then see people go 'Yeah, I messed up and I'd return if I could but y'know. Bans.), I'm saying that even second-bans aren't permanent ones. I won't mention names because that's honestly not my place, nor do I know the reasons for such bans being reversed (or truly care.). Just saying it happens, everyone (yes, everyone.) messes up every now and then. I'm personally not really afraid of bans, considering all the insight posted on the forums here and there about them. If you mess up, a GM pops up and talks to you about things so unless that happens you haven't really messed up in any major way.
I've been around for as many years as you have (And it seems months as well! We share a cothiversery!) but it doesn't change how some people view things. Even if you explain them they may still hold their own personal feelings. There is always going to be that fear for some people, and it's important to accept the fact that there is.
Quote:(I've been around for as many years as you have (And it seems months as well! We share a cothiversery!)

(Holy crap, I never knew. =P Yay! My bad, should have checked the profile account I suppose!)

Quote:There is always going to be that fear for some people, and it's important to accept the fact that there is.

Oh quite! I'm not saying I don't acknowledge the fear or that it isn't there, I was more saying that at this point, I don't know if anything else can be done to counter this from a GM's side. I sure don't have any ideas any more. My last suggestion was putting a balloon at the table, more meant out of a joke but yeah. They could all dress them up in pink outfits in-game, but I honestly don't see it making a difference.
There's nothing wrong with holding on to your personal feelings on matters. Whatever experiences you had eventually landed you at having these feelings after all and by no means is anyone trying to discredit or trivialize the way that people feel or experience things. I guess it just... spawns a bit of dejection since there really is no solution to it and it doesn't matter what people say or how much they explain themselves; it won't change anything. We're all blind to the viewpoints that don't agree with ours because we won't start seeing what others see just because they try to talk about or explain it. It's easy to point out the elephant in the room from your end, but that doesn't mean anyone else will see the same elephant. Their elephant is someone or something completely different.

Yet, it's just one of those things that inevitably comes up time and time again when people try to explain what drove them away from the community and there's no way we can fix or change that. Not only because there's no true solution to it, but because the community itself keeps all of these ideas alive. Gossip, prejudice, hearsay, miscommunication... People's attitudes, in short, and what they tell their friends. Then, what those friends tell all of their friends.
Side note to Kage: when I was invited into the staff, only one person remotely liked me. A majority of the staff wanted to ban me a few months prior.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
A side note to all in general: the views I posted aren't mine really. I just have been on both sides and wanted to post for the side that no one really seems to see a lot.