The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Inactivity as of late - Feedbacks!
I'll be brief. We've said this time and again, but I'll mention it again:

Just because you as an individual (a generalized you) don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quote: But the fact that the staff looks at the server like that? Inexcusable.

GMs are allowed to have opinions, just like everyone else that was asked to be honest and post here. We're neither a hivemind nor robots.

Quote: I doubt a single person on this server does that.

The thought wouldn't be there if it were completely unfounded and had no basis. Most of the things in this thread that X doesn't see but Y does apply to that. You may not see X being a jackass to Y, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I may not see people bullying Z player, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Food for thought.
There are a lot more people trying then you think. It's uncalled for to say that there are so many people just standing around when in truth there's not. That's my point.
Quote:Really? Are we children on this server?

You haven't seen the reports, warning threads and private discussions I have.

Quote:But the fact that the staff looks at the server like that? Inexcusable. That's insulting that you expect me to throw a tantrum (Like I am now, but hey, that's a line you crossed right there) because you're doing your job? I don't do that. I doubt a single person on this server does that. It's your job. People should respect that, and the staff should respect that we won't act like a bunch of preschoolers.

And if you see this is a label specifically targeted at you or anyone else you know, you read the post wrong. Sure, it's a label, slapped onto a faceless mass, a nameless blob so that nobody had any reason to get upset that this blob with no name and face was labelled. I'm sorry that you somehow thought this was targeted at you. But, it's not. And as I said before, people do act like preschoolers. A lot of our previous, adult members did. So yes. I do know what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry you feel as though I crossed a line, and even more so that you feel the need to tell me this in such a manner that proves my point while trying to defend it.
Feedback Thread.

Common Sense; Questionable, still there.
That faceless mass happens to be a bunch of people I rp with. There are forty to fifty or so active members on this server. Clearly your not talking about GMs/FHs which gets rid of about.. 10 to 15 (I'm not sure on the exact number). The, there are the people who are active on the forums, but not ingame. Another 10-15. Which leaves us with about 20-25 people you're slapping that label on. Seeing as though I have around 15 or so friends, that's about more then half the number of these 'masses'.

We are a small community. 'masses' don't exist.
So you completely missed the point. I see.

I'm talking about the people who don't log on, yet still proclaim to know what's happening. They hop on the drama train when these posts appear, lament about how they were wronged or otherwise scolded, more often than not, for something that's completely unrelated to anything that falls under our "duties". I'm talking about the lurkers, not the people who're online frequently and RP.

Stop trying to make it about you or someone you know. Because it's not. Jumping in front of a bullet fired at a tree does not make you right.
Feedback Thread.

Common Sense; Questionable, still there.
Dudebro, people rarely give offense, people frequently take offense.

Chillax, and understand the point of the message rather than taking what you want to take from it.

Anyone playing the white knight isn't really helping right now.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Ah. Yup. Said I was gonna step back. Didn't. Just wanted to bring up what I saw and post my views on what you people are saying.
Like I've said before...

Everyone seems to have a very different idea of what the real problem is, so there is no one or easy way to fix anything on the server. Just like everyone has a different point of view on what everyone's saying. Just because you're saying it here or anywhere else doesn't mean anyone else will understand where you're coming from. From where they're standing, what you're saying might not make as much sense as you think it should.

No one's out to offend anyone.

In my opinion, though, one of the biggest problems that CotH has right now is the fact that it's become so small so everyone, everyone feels entitled to get involved in everyone else's business like it's their own. Because there's so few of us now; who else's business are you going to get yourself involved with? :P So, with how everyone has different opinions on everything, the friction's lighting fires everywhere.
Man, I make a stellar post, complete with a chillingly beautiful rendition of Ave Maria I did -not- find by searching "Ave Maria MP3", and it ends up on the last post of the last page to gather dust. Man, sometimes life's the pits, then sometimes it's just the pits, isn't it?

I think it's about time we started referring people to the community. Being a high-quality server doesn't mean we have to be insular. Never quite understood the insularity, we have the introduction section for a raisin. We should totally hire an 'executive marketing director' and a couple of 'human resources consultants'. Maybe a couple of unpaid interns.

EDIT: A couple of months after the dust from this thread settles I'm totally going to edit in that MP3 again just to spite the system.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Quote:we have the introduction section for a raisin.

Hey man, don't judge the raisin! It deserves everything it has!
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
[Image: CalmDown.jpg]
Gonna say this.. this thread is about inactivity. Uhh.

So, yeah, people that are inactive and not logging in are gonna say why they are inactive and not logging in. Telling us "OH HEY WELL IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU HAVE AN OPINION SINCE YOU'RE NEVER HERE!"...

Maybe I'm missing the point completely... but isn't that the purpose of this thread? Just a thought here, heh.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

We're 24 pages in, and we've strayed from the topic at hand. I'll help! Maybe...

Perhaps one of the reasons that there is a decline in 'quality' RP is that a large percentage of the population just isn't in the position to generate consistent RP that is both inclusive and well...fun.

But let me dissect that.

1) A large percentage of the population isn't in the position to generate the RP: a lot of this could have to do with the school year and irl tying us up - and if we find the time to generate RP amidst all of this, some of us might be stressed out. Some people just don't like the lore anymore and find themselves unable to make something enjoyable out of it. Others (as some have mentioned in this thread) have had too many bad experiences and don't want to come back in thought of having to experience them again. And perhaps some of us (I fit into this category) are experiencing a writer's block and can't both come up with those ideas and put them into action.

2) RP isn't inclusive enough: So we have a small population. That limits the amount of 'kinds' of RP that could be going on at one time. It's quite clear that there's only enough of a population to generate one event at a time during the week and perhaps two or three during the weekend. While it's great that we still have events, not everyone has the right character for those events and gives up on any hopes of RP for that day because of it. But this is something that can't be prevented for now, due to our population. But what could we do? Be more inclusive. If we run events that are able to include most kinds of characters, then maybe we'll actually see some new players staying here and not immediately giving up on the server. Circles are also a problem, but circles need to realize they need to open up if they don't want this server's population to die.

3) The fun factor: I feel like it's been missing lately. And what I think is missing from events lately can be found in this very profound quote from Mrs. Frizzle: "Take chances, get messy, and make mistakes!"

The fun factor isn't just missing from events, it's missing from the server as well. But that's easy to fix!

Also, fun is subjective, so what's 'fun' for me might not be fun for another - so take that point with a grain of salt.

[Image: frizpoint.gif]

Edit: I forgot to mention that I think there's still hope to fix all of these problems. We just need to take a deep breath and remember why we're here, and find a way to share ideas in a productive way.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
Loxmardin Wrote:Everyone seems to have a very different idea of what the real problem is, so there is no one or easy way to fix anything on the server. Just like everyone has a different point of view on what everyone's saying. Just because you're saying it here or anywhere else doesn't mean anyone else will understand where you're coming from. From where they're standing, what you're saying might not make as much sense as you think it should.

I support this statement. While this may not entirely configure to the original basis of this thread, I'd just like to speak my short and basic peace once more. My thoughts on this come very plainly;

If what Lox says is true (which it basically is) and that there isn't one real problem, then perhaps we as players need to begin to do our part. Whatever we think the problem is, we fix it. Obviously, at 24 pages in, this community cares a lot about figuring out the problem and fixing it for a better cohesive whole. Re-wording what Lox said, we're not going to find the one problem, instead a spectrum of dislikes ranging from "pre-school" notions to advanced plots about the systems of our community.

In short. No, we won't find the real problem, because we all see a version of our own problems. I believe that we should all embark on a personal quest to fix the problems that we see, instead of trying to get everybody to focus on a single problem.

Edit: This can also be the two-birds-one-stone method. Got people complaining, but not actually here? Let them complain. If they want to fix it, then they can come online and they can fix it, whatever "it" is. This goes and eliminates the label of the 'masses', leaving only those who help fix the problems and those who don't. That's a much more solid separation then 'the group that complains' (imo).
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
I agree with much of what you said @Valicor, but..

Quote: believe that we should all embark on a personal quest to fix the problems that we see, instead of trying to get everybody to focus on a single problem.

I don't actually understand. There are personal problems, then there are general problems. Are you saying we all should each fix every problem (Both personal and general) we see our own way? If so, the inconsistency will only make the issue worse. So.. I'm going to ask you elaborate a bit more.