The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Inactivity as of late - Feedbacks!
Oooh activity. How I miss the old days of activity.
I used to be able to log on every day for hours on end and funnel so much of my time into a community I wanted to see flourish. Now? I'm bitter. Things aren't the same as they were then. Every day was an opportunity to do something new and bring my characters and others' to new, higher, and exciting levels. I craved more. To bring the excitement I had achieving something that I couldn't do in my real life to others. It was my goal. Now? There's restrictions in all the wrong places. The community doesn't feel like it has the same openess as it did when I first joined. Logging on used to bring me joy. Before I left, it was a chore. it was like logging on to crushed dreams and subtle forms of what came off as hostility.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe my old thoughts of depression cloud my judgment during that time. Inactivity of the server would have multiple sources. For me? I don't have the time to casually log on anymore what with holiday movie releases and college work, the time usually isn't there. And when I do have the time, what reason do I have? There's little motivation for me to log on since there's nothing unique the server can really bring to me anymore. I can't reach for the stars due to restrictions preventing characters from reaching certain levels through RP, storylines can only go so far to change the world, and all in all, it ends up feeling like wasted time. Keeping a Blizz-like server is admirable so new players can jump in, but for older players, it can get dull.

My suggestion is what I've stood by during my time here. Lift some restrictions and let the players shape the world they're in. Bring together the community with storylines that rely on cooperation IC and OOC. Think up something this server can do that others aren't.

And with that, I return to obscurity.

(Typed from my phone and too lazy to fix a lot of typos that may be there)
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
Quote:Oooh activity. How I miss the old days of activity.
I used to be able to log on every day for hours on end and funnel so much of my time into a community I wanted to see flourish. Now? I'm bitter. Things aren't the same as they were then. Every day was an opportunity to do something new and bring my characters and others' to new, higher, and exciting levels. I craved more. To bring the excitement I had achieving something that I couldn't do in my real life to others. It was my goal. Now? There's restrictions in all the wrong places. The community doesn't feel like it has the same openess as it did when I first joined. Logging on used to bring me joy. Before I left, it was a chore. it was like logging on to crushed dreams and subtle forms of what came off as hostility.

I'unno Sach. The rules haven't really changed that much. If anything, they've become more lax over time.

I believe it's more that you're happy to appease to the rules in the beginning, when later on a good people go MAN I'M BEING HELD BACK UNLEASH ME BABY.

Some people just... hit that UNLEASH ME moment faster than others.

Not that the rules really prevent you from making interesting characters. Just prevent you from doing things too outlandish.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
They most certainly don't prevent making interesting characters. I just feel our impact on the world is minimal.
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
* CappnRob looks @SachikoMaeda

* CappnRob looks @Xigo

... :V I think you both make good points really.

(Xigo is right, the rules have become more lax objectively speaking since my own joining in 2011)
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
So I finally crawl out of that dark cave I've been hiding in and just watching things unfold for almost two years. So yes, I've been kind of off from engaging in any discussions on the forums or RPing openly with anyone out of my little circle.

I guess I am part of the problem for some, but I had my reasons to go so deep underground and it did shield me from a lot of drama and other unpleasant things that made a lot of good people ragequit.

Here I am almost 5 years later. Almost everybody I know left and I decide to perhaps finally exit that cave of mine and all I see is near to zero activity. I do agree I am not the most active one around since I have a job now, but this is ridiculous. So I guess that is what puts me off... lack of other people's activity.
A lot of people are saying that there's a lack of RP that they're interested in having on the server, but if you work with other people, you might be able to have that RP you're not seeing. After all, RP doesn't dish itself out without any work on your part.

It's really a step by step thing:

1) You have to figure out what you are motivated to do, what ideas you want to put into action, and how you want to put them into action.

2) Recognize the things other people are motivated to do, what ideas they want to put into action, and how they want to put it into action.

3) Communicate with someone when you find similarities in motivations and ideas. If you can figure out how to put steps 1 and 2 together in a way that both parties are happy with, then you've got a good storyline, event, or guild in the workings. Part of accomplishing this step is realizing that you can't do everything that you want to do if you want to work as a team, because only some ideas can marry. Be happy with those ideas that you've come to agree on.

4) Schedule, RP, and reflect upon the results.

If you're unable to put forth the time and effort to do these things, you're not going to find the RP you want, and you're not going to find yourself happy with the server. If you can't do these things, however, there's nothing wrong with lurking and waiting for somebody to cook up the RP you've been desiring to have but haven't had the time to cook. It's better than moving on and deciding to quit indefinitely. And if you decide to do that, I respect that. We all have lives outside this server.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm not sure what else to say in this thread.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
HEY GUYS. USE THIS THING RIGHT HERE. IT SEEMS VERY USEFUL AND CONDUCIVE TO RP PLOTTING AND CONNECTIONS. IN FACT, I JUST MADE ONE TODAY.

RP CONNECTIONS CAN BE YOURS FOR ZERO DOLLARS AND A MODICUM OF EFFORT. THIS BABY IS SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS TOOL, LOOK AT HIM GO. I hope its use pleases you, @Mathias .

[Image: Dancing_baby.gif]

Yes, I do feel capslock and a large font and the 90s dancing baby is needed. People seem to be brushing this great tool aside.

Srsly quit smothering this awesome post in likes and go make a post on the Plotting post! It is even more awesome than this one.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
So, had us some Westfall RP tonight with a nice cycle of characters and shenanigans.

Activity!
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Woooooooo
Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will, that allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

- Algalon, The Observer
(11-12-2013, 09:15 AM)SachikoMaeda Wrote: They most certainly don't prevent making interesting characters. I just feel our impact on the world is minimal.

Let me just pose a query here; not in a critical way, but more to provoke some thought.

What would you actually do given the opportunity to have more impact on the world? Just what kind of influence would you want to have on your surroundings and how would this enhance your roleplaying experience in the long run? What could you get for your roleplay that you don't already have access to?

That is, aside from personal glory and bragging rights?
Is that an open question? No? You can't tell me what to do!

One of the best things about roleplay is bragging rights. "I was playing DnD last night and I killed a dragon with a bucket!" People remember the great things, and it makes them want to do it again. Whenever I join some RPG, the best and most common thing is people talking about previous experiences with the world or game, and recounting epic tales.

If I got the chance to change the world, I would brag my heart out. I would bathe in my personal glory, scrubbing my armpits with the glorious "huh, cool"s I would receive for my tales. Seriously, though, adding in some minor storyline progression from players will help things out a lot. I've already splurged my opinions in this thread formally, but adding IC goals and rewards for RP makes people want to RP more. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend the best thing about RPing is true character development! (Personality progression and stuff is great, but there comes a time when being able to say 'I helped do this awesome thing' is needed in RP.)
And then the bragging just becomes another thing for the superheroes of CotH to collectively yank their chains about.

Oswald grits his teeth, the worgen growling as he looks down upon the annoying goblin. "Are you going to shut up or are you going to fight me? I've killed a dragon with a bucket so don't mess with me.

Danitra snarls, a confident chuckle escaping her lips. "Don't @(#* with me punk, I killed a dragon by flicking it (because I got the 'finish it' roll in an event)."

Ricky guffaws, his massive male frame towering over Steve. "Shut up you @*#&$. I'm the owner of this town. I could have the guards kill you in a heartbeat -- if I so wished.

Steve, Priestess of the Moon retorts with a hmph, arms crossed over his chest. "My sentinels wait in the palm trees, fool. As the one who led the assault on the Warsong Lumber Camp and completely removed the orcs from Ashenvale, I am constantly under protection. Not that I truly require it."

Don Alejandro Nunez de Torres del Castillo 's fingers brush against the rim of his hat, straightening it as he draws his rapier, quickly assuming his dueling posture. "FOOL! Do you know who I am? I am... Don Alejandro Nunez de Torres del Castillo, master of the seven dances, conqueror of Orgrimmar, high lord of Kul Tiras, and slayer of Grim-Grosh the Grim! KNOW THAT WHEN YOU FACE ME YOU FACE DEATH!"
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Be the change you want to see. Or in this case, the plot, storyline or adventure.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Both @Zhaei and @Xigo bring up valid points.

However I don't think anyone here (reasonably) wants to conquer Orgrimmar or kill dragons with buckets.

I want, at least, to be able to be a part of the world and not just some prop that can be easily replaced.

When/if I leave CotH, will people remember Cristovao, IC? Will they speak of the Westfall charity, or the battle of Northshire? Of course, not all characters should become great; I would not want the aforementioned example Xigo gave, but how much should I want to invest in roleplay that doesn't invest in me back?

Don't think me for some gloryhog who needs his ego stroked: some characters DO fade into obscurity when they're gone, leaving only a personal input. However, I think that should be up to us as roleplayers to decide if our characters ascend to greatness or just seek out to continue their day to day lives.

Lastly, if you want a character to become great, then let it come from the graces of others. Unless the character is supposed to be arrogant and boastful, the whole "LET ME BELITTLE YOU WITH MY LIST OF GREAT DEEDS" shtick gets frustrating to deal with.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
I want to kill dragons with buckets, Cappn! Don't squish my dreams!

There's an unending fear here of "what if someone takes it too far?". Understandable. We don't want someone, say, running up to Velen and beating him down with a bar of soap. But we have our glorious rule enforcers to handle that. Maybe we want a storyline that gives us an all out faction war. Attack towns, conquer others, ect. Do something to let us be heroes or villains in our own ways. I've had a few storylines I would've used here if I had known they would work within restrictions.

Let go of the fear of the "what if". Punish those who do and not everyone for something that hasn't even happened.
I am tech support