The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Inactivity as of late - Feedbacks!
SachikoMaeda Wrote:Attack towns, conquer others, ect. Do something to let us be heroes or villains in our own ways.

I think this about sums it up. Consider guilds-- for the sake of quick example, my own guild I plan to create soon. Naturally, I intend to take these evil-doers to attack and try to conquer land! Southshore is about to be turned to a pile of ash-- doesn't the mere sound of it make you want to hop on your nearest Alliance and go stop it from happening?

It's all about moderation, in my point of view. YES, I believe players/groups should have the ability to impact the world. YES, I believe much better RP can come out of this then simply wandering around and adventuring the same roads. NO, I don't believe people should freely impact the world. If things are going to be changed, a GM should at least be present to know what's going on and to be able to say if it's okay or not.

It's much like real life. I had a discussion in a thread previously about Character Warnings, and the general consensus is that they're both necessary and important because you should face consequences with real depth to your character if you decide to undergo a risky situation. By the same token, characters should be able to make an impact-- one with real depth-- to the world around them. Of course this can lead to a writing of more "custom" lore and designing some areas differently (those that are, say, destroyed or otherwise built upon), but wouldn't it make the RP that much more worthwhile and fun?

(imo).
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
(11-12-2013, 09:15 AM)SachikoMaeda Wrote: They most certainly don't prevent making interesting characters. I just feel our impact on the world is minimal.

I think people would find the fulfillment they are looking for if they took all that focus on changing the world and invest it in changing their character. Instead of people glorifying what others have done, they could detail how far one of their closest friends came.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Back in the olden days....

We once did something along these lines; the retaking of Stromgarde. While the idea was great and honestly, the amount of work @Tales23 and @Mikain put into it was...enormous. I mean it, it was crazy what time they put into retaking the area. Anyways, as the even progressed, less and less people became involved, people were bored of it after a few weeks even with large events, both reclaiming different parts of Stromgarde and horde trying to sabotage them. So then we had a large area, half reclaimed and conquered with little to no one interested in finishing it.

We also had the Sin'Sholai. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but new players who came into it had no idea what was going on. They had to find tons of information and it ended up pushing a lot of people away from the community.

Not that the server hasn't tried to do these things, they have, but the results were as wonderful as everyone would have expected. We even had a larger, more active community at this time.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Quote:Southshore is about to be turned to a pile of ash-- doesn't the mere sound of it make you want to hop on your nearest Alliance and go stop it from happening?

Southshore's a bit of a bad example, given its already a crater when Cata starts :P Though making a guild of pissed off Hillsbrad Worgen raiding the Sludge Fields and Tarren Mill in a guerilla war sounds fun.

@Cressy, both of those ideas are examples of shooting "too big". I would love for Stromgard keep to be a relentless skirmish between the Alliance and Horde (with Ogres and Syndicate in the middle), but retaking it entirely ends interest because the conflict is gone.

As for Sin'Sholai, I repeatedly say that's what I Don't want. Rewriting the factions and killing off lore heroes like Lor'themar and Rammoth? Way too much! We don't want to change the way the world itself turns, we just wanna be part of the turning.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Oh, I understand. I just wanted to throw that out on the table. Like I said, they were well planned, but it was intense and crazy. . . Really crazy.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
(11-13-2013, 01:11 PM)Cressy Wrote: ...but new players who came into it had no idea what was going on. They had to find tons of information and it ended up pushing a lot of people away from the community.

I can attest to this.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
To note. I'm not against the idea of being recognized for great deeds, or being able to accomplish great deeds in the first place.

Quote:Lastly, if you want a character to become great, then let it come from the graces of others. Unless the character is supposed to be arrogant and boastful, the whole "LET ME BELITTLE YOU WITH MY LIST OF GREAT DEEDS" shtick gets frustrating to deal with.

I just fear this becoming common. A few people use GRR I WAS AT ICECROWN as a bragging right. Some use GRR I WAS IN EVERY WAR as a bragging right, as if it's to be intimidating. And this is always attached to those gruff mercenary characters for some reason.

That's just what I want to avoid. More gruff mercenaries having more things to brag about gruffly.

Wow that took way too many edit attempts.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(11-13-2013, 04:57 AM)Zhaei Wrote: 've already splurged my opinions in this thread formally, but adding IC goals and rewards for RP makes people want to RP more. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend the best thing about RPing is true character development! (Personality progression and stuff is great, but there comes a time when being able to say 'I helped do this awesome thing' is needed in RP.)

WOAH WAIT!

Are you saying...CotH needs more of a tangible slope? Gee whiz, what a great and novel idea!

(accually doe good idea, not just being snarky, I'm agreeing with you too.)

Needs moar slopes imo
Needs moar archaeology imo
Again, if the character was meant to be boastful and arrogant, that's fine... but yeah.

Though honestly, brushing off their deeds isn't most advisable either. I mean, being a veteran of X wars would be admirable, especially for say orcs and the like.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Custom Lore. Sensitive subject from what I've seen. I'll say this. Custom Lore albeit it a nice thing, it's confusing especially to the new players. I remember when I came here and saw something about the Sin'Sholai and I've read it. My understanding from it was... Minimum cause I was not involved. Now it's becoming a bit clearer but even after a year it's still vague to me. Some small custom lore like, lets say, a small village ran by actual players, independent of any mayor factions? HELL YEAH! Or maybe a villain that could, if failed to stop him, could take over a village and make it unusable by players until a player with GM assist/GM hosted event takes it back? YES! Horde taking over an Alliance settlement with a chance Alliance can take it back? YES!

As for boasting about "I'VE BEEN IN HURRHURRHURR WAR!" I've seen it, A LOT. I've been guilty of it myself. Not the boasting but characters who particpated in war whatever but it's overdone. Where are the people who can honestly and without lying say "I've never been involved in any war."? Where are the people who can say "I'm just a civilian of the great city of (insert capital city) and I've never had any fights."? Sure, bragging rights are nice but I'll be honest and direct. It's overdone! Too much "HURRHURR! SECOND WAR WAS PIECE OF CAEK COMPARED TO FIRST WAR! lol!" guys/girls. This is, of course by any and all means, my own opinion.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
Xigo Wrote:A few people use GRR I WAS AT ICECROWN as a bragging right. Some use GRR I WAS IN EVERY WAR as a bragging right, as if it's to be intimidating. And this is always attached to those gruff mercenary characters for some reason.

That's just what I want to avoid. More gruff mercenaries having more things to brag about gruffly.

@Xigo : If you lived through every war so far on Earth that has involved your race, wouldn't you brag about it? If you went and did something awesome that further progressed ANYTHING, wouldn't you at least want to be like "Yeah I did that"?

Again, my point comes up.

Xigo Wrote:It's much like real life.

I know plenty of people in my state-- my school-- errr....in my house, even, that would definitely brag their mouths off if they accomplished something great like doing something mundane, much less bragging about slaying dragons or living through wars. In short, I think it's entirely reasonable to give people the ability to brag;

CappnRob Wrote:Again, if the character was meant to be boastful and arrogant, that's fine... but yeah.
If he brags too much about his accomplishments, then we'll just ICly think he's a fathead. He'll still be just as powerful as everybody else, so-on and so-forth.

I don't see a problem with this idea of character-impact.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
As a note, anyone who was part of a war wouldn't be so keen as to brag about it. It's war, not a barfight that you happened to win. My characters don't brag about being in any war because there is nothing to brag about.

While on that topic, who really cares if people brag? Tis your decision whether your character thinks x bragger is legit or a drunken fool in a bar.

"I killed a dragon with a tea cup! I swear!"
"Suuuuuurrrrrreeeee. Go back to drinking."

Also, whats with these extreme cases? Flicking a dragon to death? I can't see that happening on Coth without x person getting a talk to about how you don't mess with dragons.

Spoiler:
Don't mess with dragons. It's not worth it. Trust me. You get chased by it. It's scary. Do not mess with dragons.

So lets say its a more feasible feat. X jumped onto the back of a drake and cut off the things wing, causing them both to fall from the sky. X survived, and while both he and the drake were trying to get their bearings, x got his sword into the drakes head. Dragonkin do have a grappling hook made specifically to allow someone to get onto an enemy drakes back to kill it (There's a quest about it in the highlands. You're suppose to chain kills by going from one drake to the next. I don't think that's feasible.)

That's a pretty BA moment there. Worthy of bragging ICly in a pub over some drinks. I think the only issue with bragging is people tend to do it OOC. I do it, and it annoys me that I do. People start bragging about their characters and I join in. IC actions should depict if a character is BA, not OOC bragging.

On the topic of custom lore, small things would be best. A village constantly shifting between horde and alliance, war torn and just falling apart as soldiers tear through one another trying to keep control of the place. I could see that working out. Though.. Look at Tol'Barad. In a sense we already have that, only it's an island. So it has been done. It's not like this stuff is outlawed. I'd like to point out that it was said somewhere that we -can- do this village. The GMs said so. It just can't be a lore village. Make up a new one somewhere in the barrens, have the alliance attack it, keep going back and forth! All it really needs is someone willing to set up the event and talk to the GMs. I'd do it, but I got two jobs to worry about.
Quote:Where are the people who can honestly and without lying say "I've never been involved in any war."?

To be fair, the game's universe is called WARcraft. I mean, really, in the 'modern' time of the game, there is no way anyone has avoided war completely unless they were a farmer that literally moved their farm about five times, or were a boy that was born in a city -after- it was retaken. Even then, soldiers are just a simple block to build. They have a simple background that can be expanded within as you see fit. It turns from 'HUURDUUUR I FOUGHT IN THIS WAR' into 'One time during the Second War, my boys and I were trapped in a tower while orcs were throwing spears at us! We lived, but man!'
I'm talking specifically about the players who use those bragging rights to say 'my character should beat your character in a fight', which do exist on the server and are extremely annoying. Or when you step into a RP and you're greeted with extreme hostility because your character is not a rough and gruff mercenary.

But whatever. Evidently no one else experiences these things, and there's nothing wrong here.

Also.

Quote:Punish those who do and not everyone for something that hasn't even happened.

Yeah whenever the GMs punish someone all of that person's friends start throwing a hissy fit along with that person. It's extremely irritating. Sachiko, you should know all too well how people react when a friend is banned.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(11-15-2013, 07:40 AM)Xigo Wrote: I'm talking specifically about the players who use those bragging rights to say 'my character should beat your character in a fight', which do exist on the server and are extremely annoying. Or when you step into a RP and you're greeted with extreme hostility because your character is not a rough and gruff mercenary.

But whatever. Evidently no one else experiences these things, and there's nothing wrong here.

I see what you're talking about and I experienced this too when I was active.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]