08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 355
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2609
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85206
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2192
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3391

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Interest Check: Coldridge Valley Survival Event
So I was PvEing on another server, leveling a dwarf hunter out of the starting area, when something caught my eye.

Apparently, the Shattering broke open a crevice in Dun Morogh, causing angry troggs to crawl out and siege Anvilmar.

The situation is so bad, that all Dwarf civilians living in the valley are kept inside Anvilmar for lockdown.

To make matters worse, when you try to leave through Coldridge pass, an earthquake shakes, causing the tunnel to cave in, effectively trapping everyone in Coldridge valley for the time being.

During all of this, the Frostmane trolls have been trying to appease an angry fire spirit for their benefit in claiming the valley for themselves.

So, basically...

We have an entire population of civilian and military dwarves and gnomes trapped in a valley with no means of escape, having to live off the land to survive while being quarantined inside their own town, all the while surrounded by dangers from both troggs and trolls alike.

Does this sound like a badass setup for an event, or what?! So, here's the setup/idea:

For one to two weeks (or more, if ya'll are that hungry for it), there will be a Survival Event much like Kidnapped and Skin Thieves held in Coldridge Valley. The goal will be to try and emulate the harsh survival conditions and role play out the dire situation until the tunnel is cleared out, restoring Coldridge Valley's connection to the outside world.

So what makes this different from other survival events, though? This event will exclusively be for dwarves and gnomes ONLY (mayhaps a VERY rare exception for a human, but that is it).

But why do that? Dwarves and gnomes are among the least RPed races on CotH...

Exactly! Dwarves and gnomes often get shafted because people can't look beyond the beards, booze, and goofiness of these guys to see the potential they can hold as characters. Yes, dwarfs do like to drink and eat and shoot guns, but they're also still people. Gnomes are the same: behind the cooky science and funny speech patterns are still a people, and together these two people have endured a lot. Such an event will surely build camaraderie among players, allowing them to create friendships and rivalries between their snowy-mountain dwelling brothers and sisters.

But what if I don't have a dwarf/gnome to enter?

That's ok! To be honest, I was thinking (for the most part) characters that should be entered should be newly rolled characters, with an emphasis on the civilian roles who would be trapped inside Anvilmar. That isn't to say you -can't- enter a pre-made character, but I feel the drama would be best expressed through the mindset of a dwarf or gnome who calls the valley their home and is suddenly finding themselves prisoners in their own town. So hey, don't have a dwarf or gnome? Make one just for the event, and you never know... it could surprise you and become one of your mains. In fact, giving the character a solid establishment in such a controlled environment may well help players overcome the problem of internalizing their dwarf/gnome's character which often leaves so many with their hands up in the air wondering, "I made a dwarf/gnome... now what?!".

So... yeah. Survival Week(s) event based on the Coldridge valley starting quests with a focus on natural disaster, cooperation and imprisonment in times of need, doing your part to scratch out a living to survive, and overcoming the dangers that threaten your home.

This is just an interest check to see if anyone would even care enough to attempt this, so drop the post a "Like" or reply if you really think the idea would be fun! Even if you're uncertain in your abilities to RP a dwarf or a gnome, even if you've never RPed either of them before, don't let that stop you, because this could be the event that helps you broaden your interests, and there will certainly be experts involved to help as well! So give a hoot if you care! For Khaz Modan and Gnomeregan!
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
[-] The following 18 users Like CappnRob's post:
  • MstrCorvus, Maulbane, Delta, Zenethen, Ural, Kull, Geoni, Altaine, Kage, Jonoth, Ruibarra, Kimaira, Memnoch, ImagenAshyun, Whorak, Sadron, Sol, Rowgen
If I was anymore in for this, I would become one with the event.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MstrCorvus's post:
  • CappnRob
I'm up for this as well. Sounds awesome.

[Image: USYWXqZ.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes DrakeTheHyooman's post:
  • CappnRob
PM
Let me just uhh... Drop my 2 cents of dorf pride 5ever in here.

THIS THREAD ROCKS

That is all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zenethen's post:
  • CappnRob
PM
I'd totally get involved.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Valicor's post:
  • CappnRob
PM
Alliance nubs... though, as it would happen, I have a particularly awesome dwarf warrior sitting idle in my character list. Wonder what I should do with him?
[Image: stonetalon-mountains.jpg?w=760]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nikodemos's post:
  • CappnRob
PM
Sounds interesting.

Been meaning to make a dwarf that isn't stereotypical, this could help a lot with that.
If you fall down seven times, you get up eight.
[-] The following 2 users Like DoctorDaveMD's post:
  • CappnRob, Memnoch
PM
I'm interested :) Sounds like fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kull's post:
  • CappnRob
PM
I'd definitely be up for this, since I've been wanting to roll another Gnome or a Dwarf.

But...a weeklong event...classes and work...hrng.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Geoni's post:
  • CappnRob
PM
Totally an event for the Second Battalion of the Regiment *Flexes Muscles*

Just say the word and I may be able to get help :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Franksta96's post:
  • CappnRob
PM
I'm in.

Now, when do we begin?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kage's post:
  • CappnRob
PM
Browsing around the area, there's tons of flat space in both the Coldridge valley area proper and a very large and totally empty area (even lacking trees!) immediately northwest of Coldridge Valley.
Spawning a village or tents or whatever else one deems appropriate could solve the question of where the civilians in Coldridge Valley were before this lockdown, as well as fill in some other potential plot holes that would inconvenience the otherwise great setup of this event idea.
[-] The following 3 users Like Dae's post:
  • CappnRob, Geoni, Memnoch
PM
I don't really want to make a new character when I have so many unused alts as it is, but I do have a character or two that I've never gotten the chance to play, both of which I wouldn't mind trying out.

Not to mention I could help out with GM stuff like spawning and NPCs and the likes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reigen's post:
  • CappnRob, Memnoch
PM
I'll must admit I wasn't expecting such a positive reaction :V This may very well be a thing that happens! I need to finish up some other obligations (primarily the Northshire events), but I'll probably get to tossing around ideas for this now.

Feel free to make any suggestions or concerns here as well.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Will there be a good chance of failure? And by failure, I mean death. :D
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kull's post:
  • Memnoch
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interest Check: Forum/Skype RP Geoni 15 502 01-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Last Post: SoarTheSky
  Sin Sholai 2: The Blood Pact Reborn ( Interest Check ) ThePharaoh 14 486 01-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Interest Check: The Terrific Travelling Troupe Geoni 5 173 12-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Geoni
  Interest Check: Red Glove ImagenAshyun 4 223 03-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Last Post: ImagenAshyun
  Interest Check: Ranger Guild! Ruibarra 9 272 03-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Ruibarra