08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 356
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2615
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85210
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2196
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3391

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Interest Check: Life in Player villages and noble lands
I'm interested to see how this turns out, balance-wise. In my previous experience with noble/peasant roleplay, all too often everyone wants to play a noble and too few people want to play a peasant. Whereas deterioration of activity ensures the overall number of noble houses will never grow too large (I agree that a "noble limit" would be both unfair and unneeded), there isn't as much of a natural force serving to keep the number of peasants sufficiently high.

I'm the kind of person who'd embrace the role of a peasant if only for the sake of maintaining equilibrium; I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels that way, and I do hope this idea pans out as well as we all want it to.

Needs moar slopes imo
Needs moar archaeology imo
[-] The following 2 users Like Werewolf's post:
  • ImagenAshyun, Edgar
PM
I approve. I'd make a peasant for this.
PM
Only just reading through this and I got me a Gilneas farmgirl who could hire a patch of land and work it. It's her job after all and, especially now, she could really use the money. I approve!
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
PM
I'm interested. Fairstars need some Blacksmiths and Engineers after all.
PM
I think one of the major preconceptions about noble RP involving non-noble characters is that the non-nobles have to be artisans, labourers or impoverished serfs to be relevant. While such characters may find their niches in a fiefdom-like setting, it doesn't have to define them entirely. They can be other stuff too, and have abilities, skills, and interests beyond their immediate profession. The other side of this is that your average soldier or mercenary probably has a hobby completely unrelated to whacking stuff with a sword until it dies.

I enjoy seeing characters who are defined not by their race, class, and occupation, but for their personality, motivations, and choices.
[-] The following 3 users Like Delta's post:
  • Edgar, Piken, ImagenAshyun
PM
My thoughts on this:

-Make this a canon server-thingie,
like how, say, Northwind was its own, special-build location. This would mean we can have the environment and plot monitored by GMs, dedicated to one sort of RP, etc. General lord houses and manors are nice, but without a dedicated location, especially when we're trying to bridge two different RP situations (village society and noble pomp) I think its safe to say that there is enough interest to justify the effort.

-Take a page from the Shogun.
One of the best ways to control lords among your lands is to have important family members and children remain within one location, particularly one readily accessible to the guy in charge. If every participating house were to have a few members take up residence at a time in the manor/noble lands, there would be plenty of reason for a bunch of different houses to interact together, have lords of all sorts visit all the time... Long story short, it would be an easy way to justify the inevitably greater number of nobles to commoners in this scenario.

-Make this relatively neutral.
Even if most of the nobles are loyal to human kingdoms, gold speaks all languages. Using goblin trade as a financial bridge between factions, we could have reason for all those belf nobles to be involved, as well as their occasional orcish warlord guest, or a troll animal tamer to handle exotic pets and exhibits, and things like that. In some ways, it would be a stretch, but let's face it: CotH is generally too small to justify not seeking neutrality in RP hubs if possible.

-Make player housing/guild/shop housing locations available.
A paladin in decent standing should be given permission to have a home in the lands of a noble, right? And what about a shack for a hunter out in the nearby woods? I expect there would be guild halls that could be easily rented out for use on the premises of a mansion. I wouldn't say we should implement player housing proper, but there's a lot of characters who just... don't have a house anywhere. Characters calling a lord's land a home, even if they aren't technically a subject of the nobles, (renting a house, owning a shop, etc) would also draw in RP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dae's post:
  • Kage
PM
I stopped playing awhile ago because I couldn't find others to RP at the times I was playing. Occasionally I pop in, and sometimes the numbers are pleasant to me. For this kind of RP, I would definitely pop in even if the RP at the time was only three people. However, I would like to see the amount of nobles limited to a tiny population. (I obtained a Stormwind noble, but will no longer use him, as I do not have the skill and community roots to play one well in my opinion). I would like to play a House scholar, scribe, artisan or bodyguard.

Also, I've found that occasionally nobles are treated oddly. Players sometimes act as if nobles are to be treated like American citizens would treat a British monarch attempting to rule the United States. This doesn't quite fit. (I'm not saying this treatment is the case all, or a majority, of the time).
PM
(01-01-2014, 09:23 AM)Dae Wrote: -Make this relatively neutral.
Even if most of the nobles are loyal to human kingdoms, gold speaks all languages. Using goblin trade as a financial bridge between factions, we could have reason for all those belf nobles to be involved, as well as their occasional orcish warlord guest, or a troll animal tamer to handle exotic pets and exhibits, and things like that. In some ways, it would be a stretch, but let's face it: CotH is generally too small to justify not seeking neutrality in RP hubs if possible.

Just going to be honest, if this were to circle around a neutral area in which nobles deal with each others faction in a basis that doesn't justify the war we are in, I'd plainly lose interest.

I'd rather see two areas for it, one for Alliance, one for Horde. Nobles that wish to communicate with the other faction can make trips to Booty Bay, Ratchet, Hearthglen or similar locations. Encourages some travel RP and who knows, they might just end up mugged by some evildoers which can lead to further storylines.

I got a few nobles I could possibly use, none of them will be interested in neutrality.
PM
I would be interested in this, especially if the variety of "peasant" types is good. Considering how creative one can get with business, this shouldn't be a problem. Like others have commented, I'm afraid nobles will end up being more numerous than their subordinates, but at the same time I feel like restricting it might be a bit harsh. I would say this is a case where experimenting first, maybe with some loose rules, and fine tuning later would be best, unless there are previous experiences that give the impression that a stricter rule set is required. All in all, I think the success of this will depend on the community and what we are willing to do with it, though.
I'd do this, some nice village RP would be nice for a change instead of traveling to far out lands and RPing in a tavern. Will be fun to RP a peasant !! My %100 on this ! Edit: I do agree there should be something to ratio out nobles/peasants since in my time in this server, I've seen way too many nobles. I just wouldn't want 20 nobles and 10 peasants, wouldn't make sense really.
PM
So here is what I propose, at least for House Colemann on the Alliance side. I encourage other noble players to present their ideas on noble-peasant ideas as well, either here or in their own threads.

This is taken from my noble house application, which can be read in my House Colemann wiki page (which needs serious fancying up, but I'm still designing the house emblem).

Spoiler:
Quote:What sort of assets does the family have? How big are the lands? What sort of structures are on said land? Do they have a guard force? Personal army? Fleet of ships? If an asset is not listed, it cannot be claimed, however a PD can be posted later asking if a new asset can be added.
  • The original Colemann family in Dalaran should be noted in that it has been killed in the Third War; thus, all monetary wealth has been inherited then transferred to the Stormwind Kingdom. When the Shattering occurred, Deathwing destroyed much of the Colemann lands and forced many to homelessness which the House was forced to move to Westfall until repairs (and reparations) are complete. The following remaining assets are:

-
    The main Colemann Estate:
  • Mansion—three story building which includes quarters for personal vassals and other members of the family.
  • Gardens
  • Stables
  • Homes for vassals and staff
  • Barracks for guards

Town of Cobalton
  • Industry is focused on mining, smithing, and refinery of ores and gems, which will be ported out for enchantment in Dalaran for trade.
  • Two mines, one in the east and one in the north of the town. The eastern mine has been caved in and needs to be reopened.
  • Blacksmith
  • Barracks
  • Small village, originally with a population of 400 but a majority was killed by Deathwing. Less than 20 remain. Most homes have been destroyed.

Town of Vinehall
  • Industry was focused farming, winemaking, tailoring, lumber, and carpentry, but Deathwing’s destroyed almost all the farmland and woods. Currently the survivors are replanting.
  • Roughly 500 acres of recovering farmland.
  • Various stores and factories for textiles, carpentry, and winemaking, but most have been destroyed. A handful enough remain to keep the town from going bankrupt.
  • Chapel for both citizens of Cobalton and Vinehall.
  • Barracks
  • Small village, originally with a population of 500 but a majority was killed by Deathwing. Less than 20 remain. Most homes have been destroyed.

Town of Shorecrest
  • Currently a ghost town. Originally a fishery and aquaculture at Crest Lake, but this town suffered the most damage. No survivors, almost all homes have been demolished, and the lake is tainted. The deeds to the land are still viable, however, and both Gunther and Elsamina plan to repair it for a new town. However, they are currently focused on finalizing the repairs for Cobalton and Vinehall before they can make efforts in fixing Shorecrest.

Treasury
  • Sizable amounts of gold have been saved up from trading profits in foreign lands, though much of its spending is focused on repairing damage in the towns. Because the original Colemann family died in the Third War and the other branches has long since severed, the Elwynn-based Colemanns are spending domestic resources on repairs faster than they are making new income.
  • Inheritance from killed relatives in Dalaran has been preventing the Elwynn Colemanns from becoming bankrupt. Beyond the spending on repairs and reparations, it is enough to keep the core family to keep on living comfortably.

Military
  • Dwindling standing army. Its small numbers factor into poor defense, which would ultimately result in the success of the Defias’ kidnapping of Gunther. The Colemanns hope to hire more in the near future.

Other
  • Trading posts in other lands described above
  • Four ships in the Stormwind Harbor
  • A vacation home in Kul Tiras

Basically, the idea I will be proposing is a storyline/event chain where player peasants can work on fixing these towns, from clearing the blocked mine, chasing out thieves who try to take what's left, assisting vagrants and providing homes, etc. I'm still looking up for a location of what can be the respective villages, and at current, all four of my Colemann characters (Kogan, Kitson, Elsamina, and especially Gunther) are being refrained RP until I finish "Light Casts a Shadow". Until then, suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated, and I'm happy to try some of the ones already provided here.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like ImagenAshyun's post:
  • Revan, Psychyn
I'unno, my biggest worry now, beyond the pure amount of Nobles, is that we won't have the in-game room. Immy proposed a grand amount of three towns and what seems like a rather sizable manor. The game isn't large enough for such a thing to happen without occupying every single space of room possible.
PM
(01-04-2014, 10:42 AM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: I'unno, my biggest worry now, beyond the pure amount of Nobles, is that we won't have the in-game room. Immy proposed a grand amount of three towns and what seems like a rather sizable manor. The game isn't large enough for such a thing to happen without occupying every single space of room possible.
True but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope something is figured out for the dear hope of this great idea.
PM
Actually, depending on phasing, it might be do-able.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes c0rzilla's post:
  • FlyingSquirrel
PM
RP won't be in all three villages at once. Most likely players for House Colemann will be housed at Shorecrest, the village where players can affect the most.

We do have a RPable manors (I often use Ravenholdt for the mansion itself), and I believe Rigley is building a hamlet as well. For villages, either we can use a custom area or RP in a placeholder lore area. It's all a matter of being creative :)
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interest Check: Forum/Skype RP Geoni 15 502 01-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Last Post: SoarTheSky
  Sin Sholai 2: The Blood Pact Reborn ( Interest Check ) ThePharaoh 14 486 01-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Interest Check: The Terrific Travelling Troupe Geoni 5 173 12-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Geoni
  Interest Check: Red Glove ImagenAshyun 4 223 03-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Last Post: ImagenAshyun
  Interest Check: Ranger Guild! Ruibarra 9 272 03-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Ruibarra