Yesterday 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 417
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2982
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85977
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2554
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3418

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Karthul Embereye [Orc Pyremaster]
Player: Hawk

Character Full Name: Karthul Embereye

Character In-Game Name: Karthul

Nickname(s): N/A

Association(s): The Horde

Race: Orc

Class: Pyremaster [Mage]

Skills and Abilities:

The Pyremaster gains their abilities from performing their rituals. Acting as a funerary priests, they cleanse any impurities from the spirit they are sending off, preparing it for the afterlife. The Pyremaster develops a bond with the spirits that strengthens for each body they burn, granting them special blessings.

Summon Skeltons: For thirty seconds, Karthul can summon a trio of weak fire skeletons that will automatically attack his target. (Mirror Image)

Master of Fire: He boasts resistance to both natural and magical fire and can cause turmoil within fire elementals, allowing him to still damage them. Furthermore, he can cauterise his wounds with reduced pain.

What? I'm no Mage!: No frost or arcane spells! Ever. However, any arcane and frost spells are instead converted to fire. His abilities are spiritual, not arcane.

Sex: Male

Hair: Brown, with wisps of grey.

Eyes: One is brown, the other has been heavily burned, as has the area around it.

Weight: 292lbs

Height: 6'6

Appearance: Like any Orc he boasts a generous amount of muscles and brawn, but he isn't particularly large. The only item of value he carries is an old Orcish blade, but other than that the only thing he wears are his robes and hood.

Although he’s of age 52, time has treated him kindly and his age doesn’t really show.

Personality: Karthul is an Orc who does what he does without feeling the need to ask much in return. He is what one might call a holy man, his actions usually ones out of kindness and forsaking things such as wealth and rank. After having guided countless souls to the afterlife, he has been able cope with death better than most can, often having to comfort grieving families for their loss. He usually tends to believe that there is good in most people he meets and has been known to still remain positive even with the odds are far from being in his favour.

Despite being an Orc, he would much rather live in a world without war. Though he may not particularly enjoy the company of the Alliance much, he’s a peaceful Orc and wouldn’t raise a hand against them unless provoked. He's quite slow to anger, though he tends to hide his emotions.

History: Karthul was born into the Whiteclaw Clan on Draenor, living a rather easy existence. His father had the honoured duty of having to put the souls of the dead to rest, and so the ways of the Pyremaster were passed down onto him. Though the days where he had to burn bodies at the pyre were rare, he would pray to the spirits and practice incantations on a daily basis. For the first couple of decades, his life was humble and free of chaos. But soon the time came where Karthul would have to watch the flames of war devastate his life.

When the Orcs were called to abolish Shamanism and embrace the path of the Warlock, the Whiteclaws stood by the Frostwolves when they abominated such a decision. For their sympathy with the Frostwolves, the Whiteclaws were decimated. He had returned to his village to see it reduced to rubble, dozens of his clan butchered. Karthul only barely managed to escape with his own life, but his eye had been scorched and rendered useless. Though his injury wasn’t suffered idly, taking the time to incinerate any who marched under Gul’dan’s banner. However, he knew that his rampage couldn't last and that he needed to find refuge. With nowhere else to go, he went to the only clan that would accept him - The Frostwolves. He journeyed through the Dark Portal with them and settled in Alterac, creating a new life.

He continued his previous duties, the embers conjured in his palms his only comfort against the blistering cold. Many years down the line and Karthul had met an Orc he was willing to spend the rest of his life with, as well as create a family with her. One day, whilst he was staring into a pile of charred bones engulfed with dancing flames, he had received a vision. He saw several banners merging into one, and a city built on a wasteland. Though he had no idea what this meant, a few months later Thrall had come to rally the Frostwolves and free their captured kin from the interment camps.

Karthul gladly joined with Thrall’s new Horde, crossing the great sea and assisting the Trolls and Tauren. From thereon, he would join The Horde in many of its battles. He traveled back to his homeland when the Burning Legion had shown itself, and he sailed to the frozen north to fight in the war against the Lich King. His participation in grand battlefields were rare, preferring to remain out of sight and simply help in his own way. There was no shortage of souls to cleanse, either.

When he returned from Northrend, there was a deep sense of dread in his heart. It was his greatest test of will and inner strength in all of his travels. He had received news that his mate and child were slaughtered by a band of Quilboar, and it was his duty to have to put their spirits by the pyre. He would barely have any time to mourn their loss, for not even a day later The Shattering had come. His world would once again be broken, but it wasn't the sea swallowing the lands that disturbed him. It wasn't entire cities split in two. No, it was the fact that Garrosh Hellscream was to sit on the throne and act as Warchief. Though he dared not openly voice it, he had no faith in Hellscream's ability to rule. Still remaining doubtful, he grows fearful of a dark chapter in The Horde's history.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
[-] The following 3 users Like Hawk's post:
  • c0rzilla, FlyingSquirrel, Nightharrow
PM
Is there a reason you picked mage as the base class for pyremaster? There are some abilities that fit the mage but not the pyremaster (I can't find any teleport/portal ability for the class) yet your character does not use any arcane ability.

I am also iffy about the commune, given that it is from a non-canon source. Other abilities of the pyremaster can be passed on the variation of existing skills, but I can't find anything the mage would possess that would let them see into the future, or probe the ashes of the dead for answers.
The Mage class is completely OOC, plus I spoke to Reigen about it and she said it's fine. I chose Mage purely because they had the most fire abilities. I COULD have chosen Shaman, seeing as they're the closest to it, but I already have two of them and wanted variety. Shaman get Astral Recall as well, which I would have used. I don't really see the issue, in truth. From Shaman getting the ability it seems clear that the spirits can grant a form a teleportation, though I suppose I can delete it if need be.

If you want to deny an ability because it's from a non-canon source, you might as well deny this profile entirely. :P This is a non-canon class but I've been informed that this is allowed as a variant, and it's one of their core abilities.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hawk's post:
  • muhaha8
PM
Astral recall functions differently than the standard mage teleport spell though. I would also question it if you had an ability explicitly saying he's not a shaman(or has shaman powers) at all (like you have a mention that he's not using arcane). I was told you're picking mage entirely as an OOC class, so I took into consideration that your character is not a mage.

I also don't think the d20 classes have to be a case of all or nothing, or that the entire concept needs to be thrown out because I question one or two of the skills in the d20 when the others "fit."
(05-25-2013, 09:25 AM)Wuvvums Wrote: I also don't think the d20 classes have to be a case of all or nothing, or that the entire concept needs to be thrown out because I question one or two of the skills in the d20 when the others "fit."

Forgive me, but I just can't see the reasoning behind saying one ability isn't allowed because it's non-canon when an entirely non-canon class is being presented. If you were to say it was because I can't be trusted with it or it's not allowed by server rules, then I'd be okay with that. But you've kind of isolated one ability solely because it's a D20 thing. It'd be like saying a Demon Hunter can't use Immolate.

As for the teleporting thing, I didn't assume it'd be something so taboo and outlandish seeing as, again, teleporting is possible through the spirits even if it's not done in the exact same way. In truth, I agree it is not in the D20 and thought it'd just be something creative to add, and I'd be fine with parting with it. However, I'm quite adamant on keeping Commune unless it's unanimously agreed it should be taken away.

EDIT: I realise I might have sounded a bit rude. I'm not trying to come off as aggressive, I'm just defending my points.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hawk's post:
  • Aethon
PM
With a lot of d20 classes, certain things have been removed in order to 'bring down the power level' so to speak. Not all classes have the full skillset as presented by the D20. Demon hunters, for instances, cannot use metamorphosis. I'll note that no other Pryemasters have been approved with future sight from my wiki search, that was more a Farseer thing. One has the ability to see the past, one has very vague abilities ala 'Does Pryemaster things' and the last one doesn't mention seeing at all.
PM
I'll let someone else work this profile, but I want to clarify with the all or nothing approach:

We have let people take d20 classes before but not allow all of the abilities. An example is the technomage, which players can have, but we do not allow the life-like, mechanical limbs.
(05-25-2013, 10:30 AM)Reigen Wrote: With a lot of d20 classes, certain things have been removed in order to 'bring down the power level' so to speak.

This I understand and agree with, but not when it's a fairly core ability - nor one that isn't particularly powerful and has measures put in so it's not overpowered. :P

But very well, they're both deleted. I can't say I agree, but there ya go.
PM
What is it that's the biggest issue? The teleportation or the divination?

Because since it's considered a variant class these should they not be able to keep most of the core-class skills even if it's an OOC class? Shamans and mages are really equally far away from a pyremaster in terms of origin of powers.

Divination is a school of magic in Warcraft avaliable to mages but then mainly used for "remote viewing" but we know of cases of actual foretelling of the future.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bovel's post:
  • Rowgen
PM
Eh, I'm fine with losing them so I don't think a debate is really needed. :P Some interest and intrigue in the character is lost, but I can live with it. I personally still do not see the problem, but it's not exactly my choice to make.
PM
Quote: Skeltons
Skeletons. Spiderhands.

As regards the class, Pyremasters are basically Fire-Necromancers, so he -has- to be a Mage, because Magi are the only class we allow to represent Necromancer-types.

Speaking with ashes is fine, because any Necromancer can speak to the fundead things he or she brings up.

Discerning the future from them however, will remain only at the same level at which say, a Harvest Witch might examine the viscera of an animal for portents(a la Augurs), I.E. Not-really-that-magical. Just like reading tea leaves, or star-signs, or meridian lines IRL.

Now that that is cleared up, Approved.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
PM
Oh! Thank you very much!

Should I add the speaking with ashes thing back then?
PM
Pryemasters are not mage-only, they can also be rolled as shaman. To answer hawk: Considering the profile was approved without them, it would have to go back up for approval for the skill, or added through the PD. Once again I will note that the current Pryemasters have not been approved with future sight and only one has been okayed with being able to ask about the past.
PM
(05-26-2013, 03:05 PM)flammos200 Wrote: As regards the class, Pyremasters are basically Fire-Necromancers, so he -has- to be a Mage, because Magi are the only class we allow to represent Necromancer-types.

Speaking with ashes is fine, because any Necromancer can speak to the fundead things he or she brings up.

Discerning the future from them however, will remain only at the same level at which say, a Harvest Witch might examine the viscera of an animal for portents(a la Augurs), I.E. Not-really-that-magical. Just like reading tea leaves, or star-signs, or meridian lines IRL.

Now that that is cleared up, Approved.

Mostly agreeing on this, except that mage shouldn't be the mandatory OOC class for pyremasters (especially future ones). Shaman is an allowable class as well.
Wikified!
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grukk Flamespirit [Pyremaster (Shaman)] Valicor 13 358 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Rini
  Aroshka Ashspeaker [Orc Pyremaster] HelveteSong 6 330 01-29-2013, 06:03 AM
Last Post: JVNemesis
  Bragdana Bloodshatter [Orc Pyremaster, post-restart] [Some changes] FlyingSquirrel 5 258 09-08-2011, 06:17 AM
Last Post: Uthaniel