08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 406
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2982
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85976
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2554
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3418

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Karunzo Does Things
I do things sometimes. I like to think of myself as a somewhat creative person.
Recently I decided to make a fantasy map for a land that I made up as I went along with the map-making.
Using this tutorial I eventually came up with this.

[Image: mapku.png]

Waddya think?
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
― Frank Zappa
[-] The following 5 users Like Karunzo's post:
  • Jonoth, Ural, Rini, Geoni, Dilly
PM
Every country has a source of water. Well, that's no fun!

Though I suppose Sic'aion has the only freshwater.

I like the trees and little grass accent marks. Maybe you could add some crops into that? Get an idea for typical trading or something. Otherwise- I love it!
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Love it !!! And I love -you- for that link! I owe you a lot now. *Thousand plus one hugs for you*
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
PM
How much landmass is there?
I looked at the tutorial, it's pretty neat.
I think you need more bodies of fresh water, like rivers. If you look at Australia, you can get a few ideas on where to put some.
Quote:"Your faction is the underdog right?
You always lose and suck at everything.
You lose towns, people and your second in command is a 14-year old who uses dark magic on his protectors and runs away alone the the wilderness."
- Panoss from the WoW retail forums
PM
Thanks all. The accent marks are actually from a brush set i found here. I tried to use them to somewhat define the landscape and keep things simple.

I had actually drawn a few rivers in earlier versions of the map but I didnt like the way the lines made everything look so I opted to just leave them out. The land could've used a bit more lakes though I think.
― Frank Zappa
PM
This is my interpretation of the map.

Sic'Aion looks be one of the most prosperous in sending freshwater to the other countries of the land.
Urzai seems to be cut off by the mountains and the only way for trade would be by air or boat. They may be more self sufficient or poor than the other countries in the land. The city should probably be closer to the water, towards the east.
Sardonis, Toracus, Berenor, Varinth would possibly be competing with each other. They could be corrupted, considering how they are next to Sic'Aion, a city by a hug body of freshwater.
Ak'Morgal could be a mining country since it's close by the mountains, but they may have problems getting freshwater to their city because of it's location.
Ichmar.. Hunting and gathering group.. May have problems with Sic'Aion because of their native/savage culture.
Pedinia is quite out there. It may be in the same boat as Urzai, but there are no mountains to close it off from the rest of the land.

If you continue to make maps, perhaps introduce what the countries do; their economy, their government, social problems, etc.
Location helps so much on what they do too. Major cities are usually coastal. And since on this map, they're an island, they may have problems and try to compete with each other. Everything counts.
Try not to opt out rivers, especially big ones since they're quite important. If the lines look weird, try different ways to make them look good to you.
You lose towns, people and your second in command is a 14-year old who uses dark magic on his protectors and runs away alone the the wilderness."
PM
Your interpretation is quite close to the backstory I made up myself. Though I like to imagine that there are actually rivers running through the lands, I just didn't draw them to keep the map clean and simple.

In my backstory for Eridia, Urzai is quite litterally dead man's land. It's a wasteland with most of it's natural resources hidden deep underneath the earth. The people there were driven out of the mainland ages ago for their practice of necromancy and found a place for themselves far away from the other nations. They use slaves and reanimated bodies to do work in their mines and trade these resources with Pedinia.

Pedinia is a land of thugs and pirates. They have little natural resources so they opted to take those of other nations. Since nearly all of the nations are near water, trading happens alot by boats and Pedinia takes advantage of that with their pirate ships.

Ak'Morgal is where the dwarves live. They dug themselves a home in the mountains and found water deep underneath the ground's surface in their efforts to get at the mountain's minerals.

Ichmar is indeed a land of hunters and gatherers. Sic'aion is a giant forest bassically and is home to the elves. A giant tree is nested in the middle of the nation which the elves have called Tel'Farah. It is an ancient being whose roots are said to cross the entire island and keep the land together.

Sardonis is home to the Red Legion and is a militaristic country led by Emperor Valhardt who wants to extend his reign over the region. He is very interested in the natural resources of Sic'Aion.

Toracus is a Theocracy that embodies the ideal of Justice. It arose during an era where many humans clans fought eachother for control over the and the Toracii united the various clans into a nation. It is allied with Berenor and Sic'Aion and opposed to Sardonis' warmongering.

Berenor and Varinth are not as prosperous as the other nations and are mostly peaceful farming and fishing nations.

I think I'll try a different style with my next project and see if I can find a way to make rivers in a way that appeals to me. Thanks for the support!
― Frank Zappa
[-] The following 1 user Likes Karunzo's post:
  • Alliicce
PM
Awesome. :D
I'm looking forward to seeing it here!

ps. Volcanoes are cool, you should have a volcano one day.
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Aphe Things [from Dance to Makeup] Aphetoros 8 276 01-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Aphetoros
  Im Ironside and I Draw Things Ironside 8 549 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Nymus
  Blots and things Inkblot 8 266 05-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Wuvvums
  Cookie's tableted things! Cookie 1 153 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Jester