The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Levels: The IC-OOC relation arguement.
It seems this is being brought up -alot- in chat, alot of the times it is the basic advantages and/or disadvantages about being level eighty.
Yes, OOCly there are some advantages to being level eighty, like being able to farm and kill higher level mobs, get more money, go more places without fear of death. But the whole arguements begin to start when people discuss IC-relations to level, it has been said before that Levels (Character Levels, OOC) have no bearing In-character, and are merely game-mechanics of WoW itself. I am sure if it was an option that they would be removed and all the mobs would be easy, because that'd be great for RP.

But sadly, this won't be able to happen, so I just thought that maybe making a post, and getting some opinions and different sides of this would be helpful, though I highly doubt anything will change about levels being IC/OOC.
The reason you can't be higher then 50 is because

1. You can not make a Death Knight as a peon
2. It gives a reason to be a grunt rather then just changing forum status and DK's

It's really not a big deal. Just RP with whoever you can, if you do that and make profiles, you get gold and levels. It's fairly easy, if you ask me. Just have fun and RP.
[Image: Calvin_and_Hobbes_hug_by_Humongous_E.png]
Personally, I think there should be SOME relation between one´s power level-wise and RP-wise, seeing as it somewhat reflects the amount of time that the character has spent training and how much experience in combat and hunting he/she has. It wouldn´t be fair for a character who is a lowly apprentice who recently began training/adventuring, to have the same chances against a Captain of the Army.

Likewise, there shouldn´t be much difference between, for example, a level 40 and a level 60.

My suggestion would be to have a simple IC character sheet with some basic characteristics (Dexterity, strength, skill in "x" weapons...). From level 1-20 the sheet would have a certain number of points, from 20-40 a higher number of points, etc. That way someone´s experience would come through, but we would STILL need dice. In other words, a "newbie" could still get a lucky hit, and an experienced warrior could still make a mistake.

That´s just a suggestion, though.
Let's say I have a blind and deaf level 80 char, should he stand a chance against a level 1? No way.
Mabra Dragonbasher- A battle hungry dwarven lady, hirable for personal protection and for larger tasks requiring violence.
I say that is a good idea Blaize, but grunts being level eighty, and you only being able to get to level fifty isn't fair ICly, That is just saying Grunts are stronger, which we are not ICly in any way, shape or form. I think using the Trust system or the Roll system is the best solution, Also, OOC levels that matter ICly would promote grinding over RP. Which defeats the whole point of CotH.
The bottom line is levels do not exist IC, and they are in no way related to IC characteristics such as training. Furthermore they indicate that grunt characters are always infinitely stronger than peon characters, which is obviously not the case. So yeah... I don't think we need an entire discussion on this. :P
[Image: Signature.png]
Well, jsut a minute. Is it really that hard to have your peon become a grunt? It can´t be! If you dedicate most of your time to RP and keep a good attitude then it shouldn´t be a problem. Do grunts deserve to be a bit stronger than peons? Well...to be honest, I think they do, because becoming a grunt is the reward for RPing regularly, taking the time to make a profile and being a well behaved player. I have no problem with accepting that my brand new character is not even half as strong as a character that has been RPing and interacting in the server well for some time.
Blaize Wrote:Personally, I think there should be SOME relation between one´s power level-wise and RP-wise, seeing as it somewhat reflects the amount of time that the character has spent training and how much experience in combat and hunting he/she has.

Not necessarily. Most of the time, at least for me, leveling is entirely OOC. My character has not actually done those quests and gone through that training most of the time. It especially doesn't make sense on this server, because of the system we have for leveling. For instance, if a Grunt makes a character who is an apprentice and not very strong or talented at what they do, and the profile gets accepted quickly, should that character have a chance against a seasoned fighter just because their profile on the forums hasn't been accepted yet? That would be bringing OOC into IC, which is against the tenets of RP in general.
Blaize Wrote:Well, jsut a minute. Is it really that hard to have your peon become a grunt? It can´t be! If you dedicate most of your time to RP and keep a good attitude then it shouldn´t be a problem. Do grunts deserve to be a bit stronger than peons? Well...to be honest, I think they do, because becoming a grunt is the reward for RPing regularly, taking the time to make a profile and being a well behaved player. I have no problem with accepting that my brand new character is not even half as strong as a character that has been RPing and interacting in the server well for some time.

That's an entirely new discussion altogether. And yes, it hasn't been fantastically easy for me to get vouches. Either because I don't make it clear enough that I need them or I just don't rp enough, I dunno.

Having grunts be entire tiers of strength stronger than a peon just promotes a sort of "big-kid's club", even more than the system already does. If grunts were stronger than me for no reason other than their level, i wouldn't rp with them as there is no way for me to IC say "well maybe i'd have a chance if this went south". It would be a system that promotes unfair combat from the word go, and I really would not be comfortable with that.
ಠ_ಠ
Blaize Wrote:Personally, I think there should be SOME relation between one´s power level-wise and RP-wise, seeing as it somewhat reflects the amount of time that the character has spent training and how much experience in combat and hunting he/she has. It wouldn´t be fair for a character who is a lowly apprentice who recently began training/adventuring, to have the same chances against a Captain of the Army.

The Captain could be the one who is level 4 and the apprentice could be the one who is level 80. If you base fights on these levels, the apprentice will have the advantage. An unfair advantage. I believe that there are certain lower level characters that have huge combat experience due to their background while there are high level characters that have had their profiles approved but can't even break a twig with all their might.

Levels should hold no relevance to roleplay whatsoever.
Little by little, one travels far.
True. But we could have simple character sheets based on the experience of the character itself somehow.
Blaize Wrote:True. But we could have simple character sheets based on the experience of the character itself somehow.

Character Profiles generally do a good job of explaining someone's combat experience and skill.
For discussion, i'd suggest here. But I think this guide will help.

Theik's Guide.
Hawkster? Heh, wasn't me dude.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Nnngh, the arguement of "powerlevels" is so Dragonball. People are equal on most level, and everyone has advantages and disadvantages.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-done Race Relation Guide, Preparing for Cata Harmonic 25 4,305 02-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Levels and Roleplay? Lynoa06 10 1,798 02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Last Post: carlthecamel
  The Right Way To Ask For Levels? saluku 7 1,380 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Ronin
  Levels In Conquest of the Horde (CotH) Dotsy 0 595 06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Dotsy
  Levels. Again. Kainue 4 1,130 06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Tascain