The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Levels: The IC-OOC relation arguement.
No. I absolutely reject the idea of power levels. I'm willing to admit that certain characters will have obvious disadvantages in a fight, or not even be capable of fighting at all (Dangerous Dan, the sleazy pirate salesman I play, is a coward with no combat experience and would thus likely lose any fight he's involved in), but I'll only apply that to my characters only.

I am sick and tired of hearing the argument of "MY CHARACTER IS A SUPER BADASS HARDENED MILITARY WAR VETERAN CAPTAIN GENERAL MASTER LORD, YOUR CHARACTER SHOULD HAVE NO CHANCE AGAINST HIS MIGHTINESS!!!!".

Because, while it's true that real life does have people way stronger than others, the issue that absolutely ruins a good RP session is: Who gets to decide which character is "more experienced" or "Stronger" or "better" than the other? Unless one role player is mature enough to know humility and compromise, 95% of the time the fight is nothing more than god-moding emotes between two Super Sayians going....

"MY CHARACTER'S MORE BADASS!" "NOT UH, MINE IS!!!!!"

I'm willing to put my character into an unrealistic utopian realm where everyone has an equal chance at fighting (The current Roll System) with each other than having to deal with that E-Peen waving RP nonsense. Adding in a complicated stats system will most likely get in the way of RP, and the whole notion that Grunts should be stronger than Peons is....

No. Very, very no. This type of rule should never be implemented in any way, shape or form. Grunts shouldn't be allowed to overpower Peons, just like how Hero's should be allowed to overpower Grunts or even GM RP characters to overpower anyone.

This sort of tiered "Power Level" system has never been implemented on this server for as long as I have been on it and I sincerely hope it never will.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
Here is my standpoint as far as levels go.

Levels do not factor in roleplay. Period.
The only way they have any bearing on me, is solely for cosmetics; due to level requirements to wear/wield certain items. Nothing more.

A character's strength is solely reliant on the author's portrayal, literary aptitude, and execution of coherent narration. Same with weaknesses and downfalls.
Ultimately, it simply relies on how maturely a player will establish that character; and to fall back on levels is to adhere to the childlike mentality that many raid-kids used on retail.
"My sword is bigger, therefore I am better."

That logic fails here, and is therefore invalid.
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Uulari[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Seer[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
[Image: badge.jpg]
I'm a Shaman? Really? Huh.
And that is how it should be Moonlight.

I have level 80 characters that wear outfits that I can have at level 1, which most of the time I have at level 1. The fact that people are even considering using this game-mechanic for RP reasons boggles me.

The fact that people need to face is that, we are RPing; pretending to be someone else in a made-up, fantasy setting. This game was made for killing crap and killing each other, they didn't make it for RP, so we who want to need to -pretend- (zomgz pretending during RP?) and be -understanding- about it. Jeeze, that is the whole issue. People being trust worthy enough to make sure that they are actually RPing their characters as they should, not based on levels.

/shrug

I just woke up from a nap so if this made no sense then...Well....Eh.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-done Race Relation Guide, Preparing for Cata Harmonic 25 4,305 02-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Levels and Roleplay? Lynoa06 10 1,798 02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Last Post: carlthecamel
  The Right Way To Ask For Levels? saluku 7 1,380 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Ronin
  Levels In Conquest of the Horde (CotH) Dotsy 0 595 06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Dotsy
  Levels. Again. Kainue 4 1,130 06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Tascain