The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Linux, Wine and playing this damn game!
Well, I've been gone for a while and I doubt any of you even remember who I am. I'm Evan, or as you may know me, Killer Frog and I'm looking to get back into this here server of role playin'. You see, after getting sick and godamned tired of crashing every hour, I finally switched my bucket of bolts to Linux (Ubuntu, I'm using the most current version). This is where I'm getting my problems, before I could run the game on minimum quality, but now I can't even do that, I just get a black background with no 3D anything! If anyone could help me out with this, tell me how to check my system information, or how to get drivers for my graphics card (if they exist). Oh, and I'm using the version of Wine for Jaunty, since the current one dosen't work for some reason.

Please CotH, I beg of you, HELP ME!
Well, I've been gone for a while and I doubt any of you even remember who I am. I'm Evan, or as you may know me, Killer Frog and I'm looking to get back into this here server of role playin'. You see, after getting sick and godamned tired of crashing every hour, I finally switched my bucket of bolts to Linux (Ubuntu, I'm using the most current version). This is where I'm getting my problems, before I could run the game on minimum quality, but now I can't even do that, I just get a black background with no 3D anything! If anyone could help me out with this, tell me how to check my system information, or how to get drivers for my graphics card (if they exist). Oh, and I'm using the version of Wine for Jaunty, since the current one dosen't work for some reason.

Please CotH, I beg of you, HELP ME!
First off, thanks God that I'm not the only Ubuntu user. Second off, the problem involved the fact Ubuntu and DirectX don't get along. You can always try using OpenGL, but it is usually really really slow, but if your G-Card supports it, it might work normally. Try this command in the Terminal:
Quote:wine "/media/windowsdrive/WorldofWarcraft/Wow.exe" -opengl

Ofcourse, the path itself depends on where did you put "wow.exe" in.

Hope it works for you, and if anyone got a solution for the DirectX issue, I'd be glad to hear it, when it's choosing between a blackscreen or a lag-screen, I prefer being shot.
[Image: 8.jpg]
First off, thanks God that I'm not the only Ubuntu user. Second off, the problem involved the fact Ubuntu and DirectX don't get along. You can always try using OpenGL, but it is usually really really slow, but if your G-Card supports it, it might work normally. Try this command in the Terminal:
Quote:wine "/media/windowsdrive/WorldofWarcraft/Wow.exe" -opengl

Ofcourse, the path itself depends on where did you put "wow.exe" in.

Hope it works for you, and if anyone got a solution for the DirectX issue, I'd be glad to hear it, when it's choosing between a blackscreen or a lag-screen, I prefer being shot.
Without using all the Linux commands, there's an easy way to fix this in your WoW files. Somewhere there's a WTF file called Config. It's got a bunch of text in it. Somewhere in the long list of SET commands there's one that says SET gxApi "Direct3d". Change it to SET gxApi "openGL" and you should be good to go.

EDIT: I've found the file, it's in the WoW/WTF folder.

EDIT2: Sunday12321, this should fix your lag issue as Direct3D is run through DirectX and OpenGL is actually run directly from your video card's driver. Therefor DirectX is not used at all and instead of opening it a certain way using an external method, this tells WoW in a language it fully understands to NOT USE DIRECTX and instead use OpenGL. This way whenever you open WoW, you also don't have to type in the -opengl part.

EDIT3: I forgot to add that if you can't find the "SET gxApi" line, just add it to the end.
[Image: divider1.png][Image: char1hidden.png][Image: divider2.png][Image: animated.gif][Image: divider3.png][Image: char3hidden.png][Image: divider4.png][Image: char4hidden.png][Image: divider5.png][Image: char5hidden.png][Image: divider6.png]
Email at Hero_Lief@yahoo.
Without using all the Linux commands, there's an easy way to fix this in your WoW files. Somewhere there's a WTF file called Config. It's got a bunch of text in it. Somewhere in the long list of SET commands there's one that says SET gxApi "Direct3d". Change it to SET gxApi "openGL" and you should be good to go.

EDIT: I've found the file, it's in the WoW/WTF folder.

EDIT2: Sunday12321, this should fix your lag issue as Direct3D is run through DirectX and OpenGL is actually run directly from your video card's driver. Therefor DirectX is not used at all and instead of opening it a certain way using an external method, this tells WoW in a language it fully understands to NOT USE DIRECTX and instead use OpenGL. This way whenever you open WoW, you also don't have to type in the -opengl part.

EDIT3: I forgot to add that if you can't find the "SET gxApi" line, just add it to the end.
[Image: divider1.png][Image: char1hidden.png][Image: divider2.png][Image: animated.gif][Image: divider3.png][Image: char3hidden.png][Image: divider4.png][Image: char4hidden.png][Image: divider5.png][Image: char5hidden.png][Image: divider6.png]
Email at Hero_Lief@yahoo.
I know what you mean, but the OpenGL graphical engine is, naturally, a laggy one, and I did try the config thing, as I did google the issue, and that came up [it is also seen in WoWwiki, under "Running WoW on Wine"], the thing is, that not all video-accelerators [graphic cards] support OpenGL fully. but generally, thank you for the post, and I'll try, maybe it -will- work, hopefully, aswell.

Oh, and Ubuntu Users: do try and avoid version Karmic Koala 9.10, it has quite a few bugs, and you may experience insane amounts of lag, or the simple unability to download Wine. or any of the packages you need.

Peace Out
I know what you mean, but the OpenGL graphical engine is, naturally, a laggy one, and I did try the config thing, as I did google the issue, and that came up [it is also seen in WoWwiki, under "Running WoW on Wine"], the thing is, that not all video-accelerators [graphic cards] support OpenGL fully. but generally, thank you for the post, and I'll try, maybe it -will- work, hopefully, aswell.

Oh, and Ubuntu Users: do try and avoid version Karmic Koala 9.10, it has quite a few bugs, and you may experience insane amounts of lag, or the simple unability to download Wine. or any of the packages you need.

Peace Out
Well, I have returned to post on my own thread many weeks after posting it in the most epic of necroposts! Since my retail WoW account is being cut off out of boredom until Cataclysm (and playable Goblins!) is released, I'm probably just going to use my gaming (Windows) computer for this, but if OpenGL works with my Linux box, sweet victory! My return to CotH will be glorious! And maybe now I can finnaly get my Gruntship...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux connection through Wine SoarTheSky 6 1,550 10-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Last Post: SoarTheSky
  Help Getting Into Game Drair 6 1,479 09-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Drair
  Game will not connect. Ruibarra 5 1,514 10-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Ebenezer
  Getting Back into the Game Anski 10 2,251 09-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Last Post: Anski
  Patching the Game - Because it frustrated me. CasualMatt 2 975 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Yoshintoku