The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Love in Azeroth -- A quick guide to customs of main races.
There have never been any official mentions of homosexuality in the World of Warcraft. Debate on the subject can only be speculation.
I don't think Blizzard would actually go that far in their lore. To us, roleplayers, that take it merly serious just to add ourselves some spicy. We sure might wonder about the topic, however, Blizzard still remain that they want a product that will simply fit everyone. It is why it is rated "E".
Grayl Wrote:But I disagree; you don't turn homosexual because you couldn't get any heterosexual encounters, so I think that's a stupid theory.

Hehe. You've never been to prison ;)

But in all seriousness.

There is a term "Prison Gay." Basically, it is used to describe a person who, in absence or inability to find someone of the opposite gender, turns to homosexual activities to derive their pleasure. This does not mean that people are homosexual, but that they physically commit homosexual acts. The phrase itself grew from some rumours (perhaps very TRUE rumours), that when locked in prison, some men will choose to receive (Or more likely, take) pleasure from other men also locked away.

Personally, here's how I think most races would react to homosexuality: (Do keep in mind, these are not backed by any fact, unless I am making comparisons to real life culture).

Alliance:
Humans:
Now, many people I am sure are quick to compare this to Judeo-Christian believes and practices, due to the similarities aesthetically between the cathedrals and churches made to honour the light and the churches, cathedrals, and so forth of real life Christianity (and Judaism). The worship of the light, in reality, is much different. It does not focus on the worship of gods or any kind of being. Instead, it focus on bettering the universe around you, bringing kindness and hope, and being true to your emotions. So this made me believe that maybe the Humans of Azeroth would be more accepting of homosexuality than the humans of Earth. Of course, the Scarlet Crusade, in all of their craziness, may go one way or another. In general, though, I think the laws of the Light would teach people to show kindness. If the states disapprove of homosexuality, I do feel that any holy buildings/places of worship will give sanctuary to those forgotten souls.

Dwarves:
With all that drinking, how could there NOT be any gay sex in Ironforge? Besides, if beards of a sign of sexiness in a female, wonder what that means about the MEN. ;) 'Sides, I am sure most of the population of dwarves can be considered "Bears" anyways. Ahh...I could make gay dwarf jokes alllll day. ANYWAYS, with Ironforge Dwarves, worship of the Light is not uncommon. In fact, i do believe they have a good population of Ironforge dwarves in the Church of the Light. So I'd believe they be accepting of sexuality, perhaps more than humans. Now, the recent discoveries about the Earthen, and the origin of the Dwarves and relationship with the Titans may possibly have affected this. I say may because I am not sure how, only that possibility exists. I feel that Wildhammer dwarves might be a little more conservative, seeing as living in the wilderness might put more pressure on surviving (and reproduction). The Dark Iron dwarves I am not too sure about. I feel they'd be rather conservative about sex and reproduction (hey, if ya want to topple a kingdom, you're gonna need an army).

Gnomes:
It is common knowledge that Gnomes are very laid-back, welcoming, curious, and they love to experiment. I have no doubt in my mind that gnomes accept homosexuality. They are secular, and pretty much non-religious all together. There main focus in life is tinkering. They love to discover and invent, and homosexuality in no way hinders that. Alan Turing, the man who paved the way for modern computers, was homosexual. So our greatest invention was the result of a gay person. Why would the gnomes hate that? They wouldn't. So if one male gnome wanted to use his "apparatus" on another male gnome, I doubt anyone in Tinker town would throw a fit (unless it was in public, of course).

Night Elves:
Oh boy, oh boy. This is a tricky one. I'll be honest with you: I am not sure what to think about Night Elves. They seem like a race that is in it's entirety, rather conservative. This of course doesn't mean that they are against homosexuality, so don't think that. In fact, they were an immortal race. I don't think reproduction would be an issue with them. They weren't always immortal though, so maybe, when they were Kaldorei (before/during the War of the Ancients), they may have been against it. Another thing to remember is the roles that Gender seemed to play in Night Elf society. An example would be the Priestess of Elune and the Druids, who are mainly female and male respectively. This has been a little more open recently, but Night Elves are a conservative people (like I said). In all truthfulness, I think it could go both ways for the Night Elves. I just am not sure.

Draenei:
Now, I don't want to overuse a point I use a lot, but I am going to just point you back to what I said about Humans and the Light. Except, giving the kind and accepting nature most Draenei seem to have, I am gonna say it may be more likely to be acceptable to the Draenei. Of course, someone earlier brought up the point that Draenei would want to reproduce after the slaughtering from the Orcs and the crashing of the Exodar. So I feel the Draenei might put pressure on their children and population in general to reproduce, but I doubt they'll oppose homosexuality out-right.

Orcs:
Okay, I know so far I made it look like a positive thing for homosexuality. Like...everyone is okay with gays so yay! Now, that's not what I want. I don't want to give the impression that I think everyone would be okay with it. I don't in fact, I think it's these guys that may just be the most against it. Orcs are a savage people coming from a savage land. There life was and is about survival. They are born hunters, and are made to live in some really hostile locations. I believe orcs would focus a lot on the survival as a people. They would want a male and a female to make children so that those children could grow up and hunt and support their clan. They are not the laid-back gnomes, and they don't worship the "make-everyone-happy" light. They are noble savages, earning their right to live in some of the most dangerous lands. How will gay sex help the clan? Why do that when you can be out making babies so we can eat! (Not eat the babies mind you, they aren't undead.)

Tauren:
Oh boy, my favourite race. Another challenge. The tauren are similar to Orcs. They have to live in a hostile land with enemies on all sides. If the land won't kill them, the centaurs, quilboars, and harpies just might. So it's reasonable for Tauren to try and promote reproductive sexual activity only. They are also a people of Balance. They may believe there needs to be one male, and one female for perfect, natural balance. Of course, we also need to consider their Native American inspiration. In Native American culture there is a term, "two-spirit", which is a belief that a person is dominated by both a masculine and feminine spirit. Now, I'll be honest, my knowledge is limited, and it seems to be based more around gender roles, though two-spirited people are capable of taking someone of the same biological sex as a partner. I am not sure how this will translate into Tauren culture, which makes this harder to determine.

Troll:
Now, I know Darkspear trolls are really underpopulated, and that Trolls have suffered much lose in their history, AND that they both struggle to survive in some pretty harsh environments like Tauren and Orcs. Trolls, though, as a species are VERY populated. At least, they were once. I don't believe that there was much pressure to reproduce when Troll empires were at their peak. Of course, this may have changed in recent times, but it is still possible in some troll tribes. There is also Voodoo to consider. Now, I don't know how many of you know this, but apparently Voodoo itself is very open to homosexuality and do not repress it in any way. There are spirits in real life voodoo that are bisexual, homosexual, and I do believe one is often depicted as a drag queen. Of course, do keep in mind that a lot of real life Voodoo has been partially assimilated and watered down by Christian influence, but that's getting off topic.

Undead:
Do I REALLY have to get into this? Unfortunate implications aside, I don't think undead CAN become even SLIGHTLY sexually aroused. I don't even think they have the HORMONES. So in all honesty, I don't think sexuality is an issue amongst the undead. I mean, they are brooding, and they have much bigger problems to worry about. If you DO want to go all corpse bride on us...I assume that the character would have the same sexual attractions in death that they had in life. They would also have the same opinions on sexuality. I highly doubt that it's a big issue there. Not like you can procreate anyways...or get it up. That requires blood and a pumping heart. Okay, I'm just gonna stop here.

Blood Elves:
Ahhh, Blood Elves. I believe that blood elf society probably tries to promote repopulation of the decimated race. They may look down on homosexuality, they may not. I am not sure. But there is one thing I truly believe: Blood Elves get what they want. I believe that whatever Blood elves say and how they act may be two entirely different things. Blood elves, in general, want good positions in life. They remind me a lot of aristocracy. They CARE what people thing, and I do believe that Blood Elves will live up to whatever image they are required to so that they can move up socially. Behind the curtains, though, I think all is fair. I believe they do what they want, get what they want, and be satisfied as long as no one finds out. Honestly, though, I am no expert on Blood Elves. They are the race I show the least interest in and I am sure maybe one day I'll like them, but I honestly am not sure. I just think of nothing but sex and scandal when it comes to Blood Elves.

Why did I write this? Because it was fun. I find sexuality to be an interesting topic. It was fun to come up with these theories and ideas. I am sorry if anything is a little...crude. I tried to be as polite as possible.

Remember: What happens in booty bay, STAYS in booty bay.
I think a gay Orc would be more common than you might think. Your theory works well for Orcs years back, but nowadays there are plenty of Orcs in the world and they live in a fairly stable environment. Plus, Orcs tend to find muscle attractive and men are far more muscular than women.
[Image: glarfieldiator_gif_2_by_el_cid_84-d5ebmb1.gif]
I don't think we can make any calls on this kind of thing. Blizzard avoids mentioning sexuality at all whenever it can, and trying to deduce someone's views on homosexuality by the races' behaviors and beliefs is really just needless stereotyping and speculation. You might argue that orcs are a survivalist species and would look down on it, yet I can also point out another survivalist, militaristic society in real life that didn't shy away from homosexual contact at all: the Spartans. You just can't make assumptions on this kind of thing, there are way too many variables.

When it comes up in RP, I just assume that there's no social stigma either way and people make their own personal judgments. The best way to go about it that doesn't yield any...unfortunate implications.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Grakor456 Wrote:You might argue that orcs are a survivalist species and would look down on it, yet I can also point out another survivalist, militaristic society in real life that didn't shy away from homosexual contact at all: the Spartans.
You just can't make assumptions on this kind of thing, there are way too many variables.[/quote]

Ah, very true points. Again, it wasn't meant to be a resource, just my thoughts and rambles. I didn't entirely expect to be accurate. I just sorta...got caught on a roll.

Also, creepy thing: When I was reading the part about the Spartans, the 300 remix came on my playlist...but that's getting off topic.

Grakor456 Wrote:When it comes up in RP, I just assume that there's no social stigma either way and people make their own personal judgments. The best way to go about it that doesn't yield any...unfortunate implications.

True words. True words.

Again, I didn't mean to really make this a big thing. I just got some ideas in my head and started writing. Probably got a little carried away, but it wasn't trying to spark any kind of...debate.
I'm not sure on your view on Blood Elves. You might think it's funny, but I draw my thoughts on blood elven sexuality on the Hippie Movement of the 60's. While counter-culturing may have also been a major catalyst for homosexuality for most hippies, it's in my opinion that it also could have been the drug use. You find drug-use and homosexuality walking hand in hand in many cases. I won't mention forms of payment for cocaine. That can go...in another thread. >.>

Anyway, as mana-crazed as the blood elves were/are, they may have been affected in much the same way by this "drug", being Arcane. That's all just speculation, of course. I do that a lot. Take note that it could just be Hippies wanting to further their counter-culture. "Fight the machine!" And such, since the view of the "American" family was a heterosexual couple with modest children during that time.

As far as forsaken are concerned, you are likely right about that. However, just like their odd substitutions like other emotions and reactions (I.E. anger, sadness, pain), they could create a need to be attached to someone. They still have their mental facilities, so any mental disorders ("disorders" loosely) could lead to sexual contact. The success of the sexual contact would definitely be thrown into question!

And I already mentioned kaldorei. It seems inconsistent with their culture. They were immortal, but looking at a need to reproduce in society is inaccurate. Also, look at their process of finding a mate. With how long they go in order to find that particular, and the length of time they stay with said mate (also given their immortality, until recently) don't you think they could outlast any urges for homosexuality in order to find that said mate? I have a kaldorei that's roughly 10,000 years old. He's had flimsy hopes at mates, but hasn't found -one- in all his time. He hasn't turned to homosexuality. You also have to take into account how different their minds would be from ours. They live for hundreds (and many have for thousands) of years. You can't imitate that kind of wisdom to understand their views. It all goes back to speculation, which is damn annoying. Give us more to work with, Metzan!
I was reading this post on Night Elves
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21830

I started to wonder if perhaps it was the night elf females who did the courting in thier society. That is was a role reversal in a way that the males were not the ones expected to start to romanitc ovatures? That is was perhaps a bit like the the Aiel(I do not know if I have that right) from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Where the females were the ones to ask for the man to marry her or to be the one to start the courting rituals.

I also would wonder how the fact they are mortal now will effect thier views on monogamy as it was hinted that the reason they are so true is because they take so long to find a mate?
rentiger1 Wrote:I was reading this post on Night Elves
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21830

I started to wonder if perhaps it was the night elf females who did the courting in thier society. That is was a role reversal in a way that the males were not the ones expected to start to romanitc ovatures? That is was perhaps a bit like the the Aiel(I do not know if I have that right) from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Where the females were the ones to ask for the man to marry her or to be the one to start the courting rituals.

I also would wonder how the fact they are mortal now will effect thier views on monogamy as it was hinted that the reason they are so true is because they take so long to find a mate?

I absolutely love you for reading the Wheel of Time series. I've always thought of Night Elves as being Aiel but with long ears. They have the same social structure of duty and responsibility, and all of the same characteristics of the "noble savage" that the book presents.

I think it can be implied that since they still live for centuries on end, they will still be hesitant to chase many partners. This counts doubly so for chasing other races. After all, every other mortal creature is so flighty and fragile. They seem to die in such a short period of time in comparison.
rentiger1 Wrote:I also would wonder how the fact they are mortal now will effect thier views on monogamy as it was hinted that the reason they are so true is because they take so long to find a mate?
While the night elves are now mortal, the Warcraft Encyclopedia maintains that they will continue to have life spans that potentially span thousands of years in length. So, while they may not live forever barring disease, illness, or injury, they're still a fairly long-lived race. I don't think that the disparity would cause them to change their stance on monogamy too much, but that's just my gut feeling.
I think an important point to consider is, would many of the races actually -care- about relationships, and sexuality? There is very little to go on as has been pointed out a lot, but in my opinion is, humans care about sex and relationships a lot more than most of the others would as it's one of their highest priorities. Kind of like that body-clock thing people talk about, where if someone reaches their mid life crisis and suddenly wants to have children if they haven't cause they feel time is running out for them to do so.

With humans, that applies and I can imagine many races, such as night elves, looking on humans distastefully. "These humans, they breed like rabbits!"

Just my opinion, and in no way is this concrete for me, just friendly discussion:

Humans: Would likely be the most sexually active race in azeroth, and the most willing to get into quick relationships, due to their short lifespans in comparison with most.. Would have a fairly lenient attitude to homosexuality however, as humans are in no way underpopulated.

Dwarves: Generally revel in any kind of merriment, so I imagine relationships would just be one of many desires, I can imagine a dwarf turning down a relationship for a few beers, and vice versa, would just depend on the dwarf in question. Also I imagine them being fairly lenient of homosexuality, but being quite opinionated i would imagine they would take the stance of "Keep it to yourselves" for both Homosexual and heterosexual relations.

Night elves: I imagine that they generally, wouldn't care about sexual relationships all that much, it just wouldn't rank high on their list of desires being so long lived, and would pretty much only be after finding one partner to spend their life with. Maybe there would be a bit more of a push to find that partner with their immortality gone but they would be in no real rush.

Gnomes: I can just imagine a gnome saying sex is a waste of good tinkering time. It's just in their nature in my opinion to be too busy for such things, and if they did form a relationship it would be with someone of similar interests. Due to this, it would be rare but not all that frowned upon to be in a relationship with someone of the same gender, or another race, as they generally would just be sharing similar interests, and sexuality would take a back seat to these exploits such as engineering.
Then again, if a gnome developed an interest in sexuality in the same way they did any other topic, I can only imagine the madness that would ensue. xD

Draenei: I imagine them being very strict with the amount of draenei left in the world on staying in hetrosexual relationships with other draenei. But there will always be exceptions and rebels, It would just bye highly frowned upon in their culture at a guess.

Orc: I just imagine it would be similar to humans, though with less emphasis on sexuality, and more emphasis on making a safe, well guarded home for children. I imagine them being quite family orientated and protective of loved ones.

Troll: "Sex is foh makin' Babies mon. Nut much else to 'et "

Tauren: Similar to orcs. "Homogeneous? No, I like the ladies" May just be a joke line added in, but hey, could hint to the fact that homosexuality is something that just doesnt happen with tauren, might not even cross their minds as to it being possible.

Blood elves: I imagine that their culture would quite revolve around all the different pleasures of the world, food, drink, mana and sex. Can't imagine them settling for any one person for too long until they were too old to be Casanova types. Though I also see them saying "I'm Far to good to relate with anything but a blood elf, I mean why lower yourself and compromise when I could have someone just as perfect as I am" *Flicks hair*
Miah Wrote:Tauren: Similar to orcs. "Homogeneous? No, I like the ladies"

To clarify, the actual word is "Homogenized." It's a reference to homogenized milk, which is the point of the joke. Examining the joke is really looking at things too closely.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
It's not that the races care about relationships, it's that -we- care.

/thread
Lol Was kinda putting it in as a joke myself :P

And whoops your right, sorry bout that.
And yah but i was just putting my opinion on how the races would go about it, and, like, if you wanted a character that was very promiscuous, which would be a good choice and why, and vice versa :)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Simply Enchanting - A guide to the most magical of arts Kaghuros 10 3,173 09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Kaghuros
  Getting your profile accepted quickly: A guide Xigo 2 2,473 09-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Geoni
  Sacrilege of Fatal Arms, a guide to armor and weapons. Jeff 19 8,932 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Last Post: QuantumLegacy
  Surviving CotH for New Players: A guide Reigen 30 20,789 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Reigen
  'Kill On Sight' Guide Xigo 40 13,694 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Killazer