The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Which would you be more interested in?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Kidnapped, once more
18.42%
7 18.42%
Eversong patrols (The Blood Knights)
7.89%
3 7.89%
Ghostlands (The Farstriders)
5.26%
2 5.26%
Mercenary-esque mini-events (Meadowrest)
13.16%
5 13.16%
Scoops, investigations, barging in on other events (Newspaper)
13.16%
5 13.16%
Survivor/Hunger Games
26.32%
10 26.32%
Gladiators
15.79%
6 15.79%
Something else! (Post below...)
0%
0 0%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Lox Inquires: Events and Storylines
Plus the whole Only-one-of-you-lot is winning this.

Survive the others as well as the environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_(TV_series)
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
Oh! That's the show I was referring to before. :3 Even though I completely failed.

Anyhow... I'll update the OP and see if I can gauge interest and fish for more ideas. So I'll have loads of stuff ready for when I can actually start being active again.
I'm sending you a PM concerning my previous comment to perhaps stoke some inspiration.
I'd participate in any event, I need an excuse to start rping again, not much going on now.
Let's see here. I've ran into a few problems regarding one of the event suggestions.

SURVIVOR/HUNGER GAMES
First off, this is the kind of event that would fall entirely if there aren't measures taken against metagaming beforehand or during the event itself, as such games would put to use the element of surprise and the pressure of knowing that if you don't win, you're screwed.

It's the kind of event where you want to keep your players on the edge of their seats the whole time, preferrably OOCly as well as that enhances the experience ICly as well (the more you get into it, you know), but... For someone to actually get into the tension to that degree, there has to be a threat. And I would rather keep actual deaths to a minimum for a number of reasons...
  • 1) If there's the risk in the air that your character will face death, you may become OOCly involved to preserve the life of your character. Hence, this takes away much of the experience since you'll push your character into being more careful than they normally would by transferring your OOC paranoia into the IC situation. (At the same time; The risk of death adds excitement. This depends entirely on what kind of player you are and how much you value the character you toss into the event.)

2) Making a threat that is actually threatening is a challange in and of itself! Some options may go a bit overboard, especially for a game, and aren't viable even though they'd pose the proper amount of challange. However, to get these things in play, you'd need better motives than to just throw up a game for someone else's sadistic pleasures.

3) A solution to the death problem could be that you encourage people to make throwaway characters made for the event itself that you won't grow so attached to that it matters if it dies. However, this kind of thing also takes away from the experience. You, as the player, won't care about your character and you won't get the same character development or dilemmas from the going-ons for the duration of the event. It just won't be as exciting, and it won't be nearly the same thing.

4) Another solution would be a massive illusion that you simply wake up from once you are eliminated from the playing field. However... This would also take away from the experience. There's no risk in it. And the players participating will not have the same threat posed on their characters since they'll OOCly be aware of that it doesn't matter if their character dies. You'll just be out of the event a little earlier and you won't be getting the prize. Plus, I think this will make people act out aggressively much quicker, which means some people will be out of the event very early and miss out on most of the fun.

5) A fifth possible solution is to say that, yes, characters die. And that the organization that arranges the competitions collect the bodies after the event is done and sell them on to the highest bidder for some extra profit (and for their friends, lovers and the like to be able to get their hands on the bodies for resurrections).

... Then... you don't actually have to have a deadly kind of competition, of course! But I believe it adds an important element of survival horror, for real, and that is something I'd like to try to run at some point. I just need to make it work.

As for a non-lethal competition, that is much more easy to arrange. Just don't give the competitors access to lethal force and everything's fine and dandy. And keep close watch over the arena, as well. Competitions can be willing or unwilling, depending on the demand of the audience/sponsors.

... Hmmm.

Back to pondering!
(12-05-2011, 06:25 AM)Loxmardin Wrote:
  • 5) A fifth possible solution is to say that, yes, characters die. And that the organization that arranges the competitions collect the bodies after the event is done and sell them on to the highest bidder for some extra profit (and for their friends, lovers and the like to be able to get their hands on the bodies for resurrections).

From an IC perspective, this is the most profitable option.

...I would know, my main character had routinely committed such extortion.
Something like the Hunger Games would be nice, so long as people played combat and survival realistically. :D
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
Alternatively, the character can make a down payment of sorts before they enter; a sum of <X> amount of gold that will he reimbursed if they don't die. If they do, then they are resurrected as per normal by an NPC in the event, but don't get their money back. That way newer players can take part without having to have that oh-so-necessary priest friend, or an evil character doesn't have to break lore by finding a priest or paladin to raise a friend.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
(12-05-2011, 12:38 PM)Beltharean Wrote: Alternatively, the character can make a down payment of sorts before they enter; a sum of <X> amount of gold that will he reimbursed if they don't die. If they do, then they are resurrected as per normal by an NPC in the event, but don't get their money back. That way newer players can take part without having to have that oh-so-necessary priest friend, or an evil character doesn't have to break lore by finding a priest or paladin to raise a friend.

This is actually a good alternative, as well. I'll remember that.

And so far with the poll, it looks like I'll give the Survivor event and Kidnapped higher priority. Neato.

*gets back to work*

(12-05-2011, 03:08 PM)Loxmardin Wrote: And so far with the poll, it looks like I'll give the Survivor event and Kidnapped higher priority. Neato.

Why not make them one in the same?
(12-05-2011, 09:49 PM)LostStranger Wrote:
(12-05-2011, 03:08 PM)Loxmardin Wrote: And so far with the poll, it looks like I'll give the Survivor event and Kidnapped higher priority. Neato.

Why not make them one in the same?

Possible, though we'll see. Depending on time constraints, I may or may not make the two events into one and the same.

Psssssh, not so much interest in the two BElf guilds, I see. :B
And yet 80% of the characters in the event will be blood elves.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Fail Lox ;P We need to put together another Seregon Event soon. I have tons of ideas kicking around. I would like to do a survivor horror perhaps also lol. Since I missed out on our servers last one.
[Image: 15.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lox's Future Events Loxmardin 20 3,771 05-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Scar