The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Lox Muses: Adventure Hour
Hi everyone.

So, this was something I thought about when pondering the server's overall inactivity of late. I want to know what people think, and also get some idea of when people would be available for this type of thing.

Basically, what I want to start would be something I've dubbed the "Adventure Hour" (working title). Basically, the GMs who decide to take part in it announce sometime every or every other day or just a couple of times a week that they'll be standing by between X and X hours to randomly jump into peoples' RP on the server and perhaps offer up some worthwhile storyline development or just some fun RP once in a while.

I believe this sort of thing could encourage people to go out and RP more on the server if they know there's a catch to it at that certain time of day, all in all offering greater chances for enjoyable RP on the server and perhaps a twist here and there that you weren't expecting. Perhaps this could even be pushed further to offer up neat spoils for the people involved, sort of like a random encounter in a tabletop RPG.

So, what I want to know is...
  • Would this be something people would actually log on for?
  • What times (Server Time) work best for you? This information would be used to set up a schedule for these Adventure Hours.
  • Do you have any ideas, off the top of your head, to improve this basic idea even further to optimize the fun?

Tell me what you think!

Love,
Loxxy
I was actually going to do something similar to this with myself a couple of friends. Never got around to it, but it's a great idea and I fully support it, as you know.

- Yes!
- 10AM - 2PM ST.
- Don't just use it to give people fun; use it to set up storylines and announce happenings and events. Also, sometimes the best thing to do is a background thing - if there's already a focus to the RP, puppet background characters to increase immersion.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
I was about to mistake this for a ship of one of those dumb Adventure Time shows but I seem I was corrected, thankfully! But I digress. As always.

This is good idea.

I support this product and/or company.

One thing, though. What if they don't want another guy to jump in? I have to say... it's quite scary for me to say "no" to a GM. Maybe that's just me. :s
Just say no to the GM. Just be polite, and they won't care.

Don't worry, they generally don't bug you if you're in a 'private roleplay' or something.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(09-21-2013, 03:14 AM)Loxmardin Wrote: Hi everyone.

So, this was something I thought about when pondering the server's overall inactivity of late. I want to know what people think, and also get some idea of when people would be available for this type of thing.

Basically, what I want to start would be something I've dubbed the "Adventure Hour" (working title). Basically, the GMs who decide to take part in it announce sometime every or every other day or just a couple of times a week that they'll be standing by between X and X hours to randomly jump into peoples' RP on the server and perhaps offer up some worthwhile storyline development or just some fun RP once in a while.

I believe this sort of thing could encourage people to go out and RP more on the server if they know there's a catch to it at that certain time of day, all in all offering greater chances for enjoyable RP on the server and perhaps a twist here and there that you weren't expecting. Perhaps this could even be pushed further to offer up neat spoils for the people involved, sort of like a random encounter in a tabletop RPG.

So, what I want to know is...
  • Would this be something people would actually log on for?
  • What times (Server Time) work best for you? This information would be used to set up a schedule for these Adventure Hours.
  • Do you have any ideas, off the top of your head, to improve this basic idea even further to optimize the fun?

Tell me what you think!

Love,
Loxxy

If this were to happen it'd be a dream come true. This kind of thing is totally on my 'top three things that rock' list.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
(09-21-2013, 04:24 AM)Xigo Wrote: Just say no to the GM. Just be polite, and they won't care.

Don't worry, they generally don't bug you if you're in a 'private roleplay' or something.

I dunno, man. I have this phobia.

I imagine saying no to a GM will have me tied up, walking down a bright hallway to a door...

A door with the name 'Room 101'...
The way I imagine it, people would be encouraged to go out and RP in publicly available places during these hours if they want to pass their "invitation" to the GMs. Otherwise, as long as you're polite (like Xigo said), just let the GM know that you would rather go without interruptions. I do encourage people to be open to the possibility, even in private, however. You may just be postiviely surprised!
Sounds like something I normally did in the Reach to be honest. None the less, I love the idea.

-Yeah, I'm down with this.
-Uh, for times, I'm no longer sure.
-Bring some of the people already playing into a group to make a plan once in a while. It could provide more if you plan with the people rping to make the random encounter tie in more to what they're rping already.
Kage Wrote:-Bring some of the people already playing into a group to make a plan once in a while. It could provide more if you plan with the people rping to make the random encounter tie in more to what they're rping already.

Well, sure. Most of the time, though, there probably won't be any planning beforehand under the banner of this specific project. The point of random encounters is that they are, well... random! It's also a good test for the players involved to have to deal with a curve ball once in a while. It's not always that things go according to plan, after all!

I do believe people on the server need to be surprised, too. That rarely happens anymore.
Crazy idea I just had;

Maybe these random mini-events can be used as a substitute for quest-grinding for reputation and the like. If the events are based in a city, a viable reward could be OOC reputation gains with the faction in the city. Beats having to grind for reputation in order to get the real versions of certain items, for example.

Can you guys think of anything else that these mini-events/quests could award that would just be a more fun alternative to quest-grinding for the same results? (Professions are out of the question; GMs can't grant profession expertise anyway!)
I would 100% log in for this! (You know, more than the daily amount I already log in. Even when no one else is on)
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Loxmardin Wrote:Can you guys think of anything else that these mini-events/quests could award that would just be a more fun alternative to quest-grinding for the same results?

Maybe titles. I think that would be cool. Attend to a long and winding quest chain with many events, and possibly come upon being awarded an OOC and IC title. Given that these titles would be monitored by the GMs in charge of the event chain, I don't see anybody having anything crazy like, say, 'Kingslayer' or 'the Insane' unless specifically earning that type of title.

Just a random thought from me. Besides that, I give this idea a thumbs up even if I may not be around for it!
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Adventure-time-logo.png]

Sure you can't help grind professions, but perhaps give out some materials needed as a reward instead? especially that high costing stuff you need to max out a profession (You guys know what I'm talking about. Void spheres.. So much moneyz [and that's some of the cheaper stuff]) Heck, make events baised around gathering the supplies and such, or protecting the people going into the mines from Kobolds.

[Image: kobold-candle.jpg]

I want some candles, anyone else agree?
We can't actually hand out titles with available GM commands (only the admins can), either, though I do agree it could be a neat reward for certain quests. I would personally reserve those for bigger events, however, or the titles will feel too... trivial. You can't get meaningful titles from small-time favours, anyhow.

Reagents is a good suggestion, however! Easier to manage for GMs.
I love this idea of GMs getting in, announcing perhaps that there's something happening in X area so that people will flock or something. Makes for great meet-ups, RP and the like either way and no harm comes from it.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/