08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 355
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2609
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85206
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2192
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3391

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Maarten (Draenei Auchenai Crypt Guardian)
Player: Maarten777

Character Full Name: Maarten

Character In-Game Name: Maarten

Nickname(s): Crypt Guardian, Guardian, M

Association(s): The Auchenai pre-corruption, The Alliance (formally), The Draenei and their dead.

Race: Draenei

Class: [[Warrior|Crypt Guardian]]

Skills and Abilities:

I See Dead People: After undergoing the secret rituals and ceremonies in the Auchenai Crypts, Maarten is capable of seeing the spirits of the dead that still roam the earth. Though, unlike a Spirit Walker, he is incapable of interacting with the spirits.

Remember the Fallen: As part of his service, Maarten was entrusted with the knowledge of the fallen members of his kin and the nature of their demise. It’s more knowledge on who fell, when this Draenei fell and how than anything else.

Weaknesses
Light Sensitive: Due to spending a long time within the Crypts, Maarten's eyes have adjusted to the darkness and is easily blinded by bright lights. However, this does make him more competent to fighting in the darkness.

Mild Corruption: Due to spending years in the Crypts prior to his escape from the Auchenai, he was not spared from the corrupting touch of the Shadow. Healing with holy energy on his body is less effective.

Sex: Male

Hair: Loose, dark blue-ish

Eyes: Draenei blue though dimmed

Weight: 222 kg

Height: 2.30 meters

Scale: 1.04

Usual Garments/Armor: Dark metal armor adorned with different kind of scrolls, mostly on demise on his 'favored' dead Draenei or old prayers.

Other: Ritualistic scars and tattoos scattered all over his body.

Personality: Maarten is calm, silent and more an outsider to most people. He spends a lot of time thinking about the purpose of life and death. He doesn't really care much about the Horde or the Alliance, believing the two should stop their fighting and ally each other for the betterment of both. Once a happy man, he is now filled with anger and sadness. After all people he lost, the one light in his life, the only light he willingly puts his eyes on is his little sister, Zinaida.

History: Maarten was born on a distant planet. Before he could see anything of the planet, the Oshu'gun left again. Maarten was raised aboard the Oshu'gun for most of his life, training tediously with his mentor and father in the arts of sword combat and his mother's teachings about life, death and the Naaru. Soon Maarten's sister, Zinaida was born and he took a liking to her and did everything he could to keep her safe within the Oshu'gun and what planets the Draenei visited. Maarten always looked up to the Naaru D'ore.

Over the years in the Oshu'gun, Maarten met with a woman, Haelei, only a few years younger and the two fell in love over the years. As the years and miles passed, the two became officially mates and had a son.

Upon finally arriving on what would be Draenor, the landing was... Not the most pleasant. He held his son and mate when the ship landed. Maarten survived with relatively few wounds despite being bedridden for a month but his son and wife didn't make it out alive, neither did the Naaru D'ore. When the Prophet Velen laid the Naaru to rest in the first Crypt of what would become the Auchindoun, Maarten was back on his feet, watching the burial of his childhood hero with great grief, turning to his sister for comfort. He later watched his mate and son being buried in one of the Crypts near the Naaru's Crypt. But he did not leave the Naaru nor his mate and son to themselves in the Crypt, he wanted to stay close.

Maarten soon joined the Crypt Guardians in the Crypts. He was put through the initiation rituals. He was left there, in the chamber while the acolytes prepared this potion. He remained in the room unmoving until the acolytes returned with the potion. They told him to drink the potion and so he did, his eyes closed. After finishing his 'drink' he was led into a dark, empty, stone room, maybe twice his own size. In this small room, he sat for hours until he heard something. Was he going insane? No, he could recognize what was being said, his mother language, voices but different from the ones he knew. Hollow, distant, woeful voices.

After hours the acolytes returned and took the Draenei out of the room, back to the main room. He was told he passed the test and the dead accepted him in their midst and began his new life. He practiced with the other men, taught how to carry the ceremonial blade. He learned and practiced the line between life and death and how those within the Crypts walked the thin line between life and death. One day he awoke to see a shadow on his wall but no one around casting the shadow. He took his weapon and got up, looking for whatever casted the shadow but he found nothing. This was the day he first saw the spirits of the dead if only as shadows. As days passed, the shadows became different, luminescent and pale, their features became visible to the man and they wandered around aimlessly. How much he wanted to interfere with the souls, talk to them, ask for their wisdom or aid them in their paths, he couldn't. He took an oath of silent watch.

The years passed as Maarten performed his duties within the Auchindoun Crypts. Years turned to decades and decades turned into centuries until he received word of the Orcs turning against his people. Fearing for the safety of their dead, Maarten's superiors demanded the Guardians and keepers to stand ready at all times. Yet, the Orcs did not come as far down as the Guardians expected them to come. Slowly, the Auchenai became corrupted. One day Maarten woke up and saw the dead walking, not as spirits but their physical beings, half rotten away. Shocked by disbelief he went to his superiors and demanded an answer. He got none and was sent back to his post.

He no longer saw just the spirits of the deceased but also their physical beings, or what remained of them. He saw his allies and fellow Guadians change before his eyes, turning from friendly into uncaring. The priests turned the dead into the undead and once more, Maarten demanded an answer from his superiors and once more, he got no answer. It wasn't long until he was fed up with the dead wandering. Again he turned to his superiors and demanded an answer. He was sent back to his post yet did not return to his post. He stayed and demanded an answer. "This world is dying, Maarten." Finally with an answer, Maarten called them insane and corrupted. Once again he was sent back to his post and he went. As he went back, he came across two of the walking dead, they reminded him of his mate and son. His fists clenched around his blade and after a few moments of hesitation, he gave them eternal rest.

Angered by his actions and the actions of the Auchenai, Maarten emerged from the Crypts into a shattered world.

Upon emerging from the Crypts, he found his world shattered. Maarten began walking until he found a familiar yet strange place, Terokkar Forest and later, Shattrath City in ruins and abandoned. Silently he helped what Draenei he could find but one thing always rested on his mind. What of his sister, Zinaida? Was she alright? Where was she? Was she even alive? He did not know. The Exodar had already left him behind on Draenor.

Maarten set off to a voyage, the voyage of his life, to find what little family he thought he had left. He wnet through Zangarmarsh and then through Hellfire Peninsula until he reached the Dark Portal. Without hesitation or being stopped he stepped through and found Azeroth for the first time in his life. He found it was two factions fighting for no clear reason, torn apart like his own world.

When he learned of the Argent Crusade, the Scourge and the Lich King, he travelled north to aid the Crusade against the Scourge, out of old habits for the Auchindoun. Despite feeling he did not belong, he remained on Azeroth, wandering. Now wanting to be as far away from the corruptive Crypts he spent so long in.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
[-] The following 3 users Like Maarten's post:
  • Bitlordman, CappnRob, Whorak
PM
Quote:Remember the Fallen: As part of his service, Maarten was entrusted with the knowledge of the fallen members of his kin and the nature of their demise.

What exactly does this permit? Is it a ritual knowledge? What does it mean?

Quote:Mild Corruption: Due to spending years in the Crypts prior to his escape from the Auchenai, he was not spared from the corrupting touch of the Shadow. Healing with holy energy on his body is far less effective to not effective at all. Most wounds should be taken care of 'the old fashioned' way, meaning bandages and rest.

I'm not sure if this makes sense - Draenei are creatures who by nature are resilient to the physical effects of the Shadow and have the Light of the Naaru inside their bodies at all time as evidenced by their Gift and glowing eyes. The shadow drove the Auchenai to madness, but nothing else.

It is also worth noting that prior to their madness, the Auchenai used the Light to communicate with the spirits of the dead. The madness did not settle in until sometime after the Alliance invasion of Draenor - Danath Trollbane met an Auchenai anchorite who was clearly of sane mentality at the time.

Quote:Upon finally arriving on what would be Draenor, the landing was... Not the most pleasant. He held his son and mate when the ship landed. Maarten survived with relatively few wounds despite being bedridden for a month but his son and wife didn't make it out alive, neither did the Naaru D'ore.

This one is iffy, but only because the lore is vague. The Oshu'gun did crash, yes, but there's no lore to suggest it was anything terrible or lethal to the Draenei. D'ore did die, yes, but when a Naaru dies it simply slips into a void state and changes polarities - it seems to have more to do with losing energy and recharging itself than physically dying (as K'ure also lost energy and by TBC was entering a void state itself - D'ore however is almost finished with its own).

Quote:He was put through cruel initiation rituals, his flesh was scarred to draw his blood for a vile potion.

I highly doubt the Auchenai would do such a thing - like I previously stated, they were Light using priests who interred the dead.

Also, the spirit-seeing tincture is made of a Gronn eyeball, a windroc beak, and clefthoof blubber.

Quote:The years passed before Maarten was allowed into the underground Auchindoun city.

The Auchindoun city and the Crypts are the same thing, in effect. It's all one massive complex, Maarten would not be permitted to one without the other. It was his home as much as it was his workplace.

Quote:Yet, the Orcs did not come when he expected them.

The orcs did actually occupy the surface portion of Auchindoun (but not the lower crypts) and made it into a fortress during the Draenor Invasion after the Second War. Furthermore, the Shadow Council attempted to summon an evil spirit which caused a destructive explosion that killed many orcs and draenei residing in Auchindoun, and created the Bone Wastes.

All in all not a shabby profile, Auchenai characters can be difficult to get all the details in order because their lore is so spread out across several quest chains and little mentions in books and such, so you did good all things considered!
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
[-] The following 2 users Like CappnRob's post:
  • JTJP770, kindle135
Updated and as for the Mild Corruption, I did a little research (what little research was possible with the limited lore), including reading some other Auchenai profiles and most of them seem to be corrupted in one way or the other. Some more than others. As I read it, D'ore's "rotting corpse" corrupted the Auchenai who were near him or in the Crypts.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
PM
(11-06-2013, 09:46 AM)CappnRob Wrote: It is also worth noting that prior to their madness, the Auchenai used the Light to communicate with the spirits of the dead.
This is news to me, what is this based upon? As far as I know their powers were and are shadow-based because they function like Mind Control & Mind Vision and it was in their range of powers to ultimately control the undead and even raise their corpses. D'ore doesn't pass these spells or abilities to them nor does Exarch Maladaar, he merely commands they use these desperate means to defend the crypts from invaders (but seeks to secretely use this to aid the Legion).

(11-06-2013, 09:46 AM)CappnRob Wrote: D'ore did die, yes, but when a Naaru dies it simply slips into a void state and changes polarities...
Which could have been something completely unheard of among the draenei since, as Blizzard pointed out, the revival cycle among the naaru is extremely rare! Most naaru that suffer same injuries/damage would merely have passed.

(11-06-2013, 09:46 AM)CappnRob Wrote: Draenei are creatures who by nature are resilient to the physical effects of the Shadow and have the Light of the Naaru inside their bodies at all time as evidenced by their Gift and glowing eyes.
I agree. There's nothing to support that the auchenai suffered corruption to this degree or that draenei easily even could without being undead.

(11-06-2013, 04:43 AM)maarten777 Wrote: ...the artefact that allowed him to see the spirits of the deceased.
This is the effect of the potion and not an artifact. The dead have no say over who the priesthood hand the tincture to and how much they are able to see. (With some exceptions of very "complete" spirits.)

(11-06-2013, 04:43 AM)maarten777 Wrote: Slowly, the Auchenai became corrupted.
We do know exactly how this worked. We know D'ore have an effect on spirits around and most likely the living as well. But as Ramdor mentions - most auchenai go insane because of the effects of initiation. Considering that the priesthood and D'ore have sat in the crypts for almost a millennium it's quite clear that the naaru's effect isn't overly strong because otherwise they would all have been ravaging mad long ago and not just all make a sudden turn "now".

(11-06-2013, 04:43 AM)maarten777 Wrote: It wasn't long until he saw his mate and son walking.
I find this highly unlikely considering how long they have been buried at the site. Their spirits have surely already been absorbed by D'ore and isn't around to be seen as ghosts. Unless Maarten has gone insane and it's just all in his head.

Overall this feels like a copy of Psycho's crypt-guardian, which I guess it's based upon. Much of what he wrote was his own ideas and inspiration. For example the blood in the potion as Cappn commented upon. (Which in turn was based upon a DP storyline where they created a similar potion using substitute reagents, including blood.)

Speaking of blood, isn't draenic blood purple-blueish and not red?
PS. Do you really find Maarten a fitting name for a draenei? Martin the Drae-drae? .DS
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bovel's post:
  • Rini
PM
Quote:This is news to me, what is this based upon?

Right here from this WoWpedia article:

Quote:Abilities

Even before their fall into madness, the "death priests" were able to see the dead after drinking a potion during a rite of initiation.[10]
They were able to summon their fallen kin using the Light,[11] but this was later replaced by enslaving the soul with necromancy. They seem to have abandoned the Light in favor of the Void.

The citation is the Beyond the Dark Portal novel.

The Auchenai just went from Light to Shadow/Necromancy as their corruption/madness set in, it seems.

Quote:I find this highly unlikely considering how long they have been buried at the site. Their spirits have surely already been absorbed by D'ore and isn't around to be seen as ghosts. Unless Maarten has gone insane and it's just all in his head.

I think he meant their bodies/corpses/skeletons, the Auchenai crypts -are- filled with risen Draenei corpses. I don't see it too far a stretch for their bodies to have been re-animated (though the cooky madness angle works too).

Quote:We do know exactly how this worked. We know D'ore have an effect on spirits around and most likely the living as well. But as Ramdor mentions - most auchenai go insane because of the effects of initiation. Considering that the priesthood and D'ore have sat in the crypts for almost a millennium it's quite clear that the naaru's effect isn't overly strong because otherwise they would all have been ravaging mad long ago and not just all make a sudden turn "now".

The madness seemed to be an extremely long and slow-going process, though yes the tincture does drive the Auchenai a little mad on their own, because of the constant exposure to seeing the dead all the time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CappnRob's post:
  • Rini
Updated with Bovel's info, removed the artifact in question and replaced his son/mate with two generic corpses that reminded him of the two because after all, centuries have passed since they died and now.

Edit: As for the name, it's not pronounced as Martin (common mistake). I've got a link to translate as to how it IS pronounced (cause I can't type it to make it clear in english) http://translate.google.nl/#en/nl/maarten

Edit 2: Noticed his hair section was outdated so that's been updated.

Welcome to the pride!
PM
Draenei lore.

The most ridiculous and unknowable of all lores.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Xigo's post:
  • Whorak
PM
S'why guys like me are forum helpers: we are seekers and keepers of the unknowable lores :|
(11-07-2013, 08:45 AM)CappnRob Wrote: Right here from this WoWpedia article

That's a new addition (although rather an old source). This means some interesting implications. Draenei lore is hard and much of it is based upon tidbits of information given everywhere. But there is also much conjecture - time spent on Draenor by the draenei for example.

But yes, if he actually saw their corpses I could buy it. I read it as he saw their spirits as how far their bodies had rotten instead of mere shadows.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
PM
The profile still says his wife/child died in the Oshu'gun crash. Again, while not technically wrong, it doesn't strike me as reasonable as there's no recordings of the Draenei getting hurt then. Consider changing their deaths to something else? Draenor was a wild and dangerous world.

Also, you still mention the potion being made from blood.
Updated. Just wish to say that I did not remove his mate and son dying because that will create inconsistency (or however you type it) with Zinaida.

Welcome to the pride!
PM
Approved!
Wikified!
[Image: anim_500.gif]
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maarten (Draenei Runemaster) Maarten 11 368 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Last Post: JVNemesis
  Aendron Eranu'endal [Blood Elf Priest][Sunwell Guardian] SachikoMaeda 4 159 04-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Reigen