The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Marriage Traditions in WoW
Okay so...

Anyone? Mainly looking for info on human and Night Elf traditions but other info is always cool too.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
This covers what I know.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
Night Elven lore hinted that the females were polyandrous, but I can't find in-depth sources. (Ashzara told Tyrande to just take both brothers, even though she only loved one.)
˜★Sketch Blog
The human tradition seems to be on par with Medieval European marriages. There is a lot about arranged and political marriage references.

Night Elves being matriarchal and polyandrous makes sense. It really offers up a whole new way to look at marriage and relationships within the society too. I wonder if it is the females who decide on such unions orif they even have a "marriage" equivalent.
In War of the Ancients I remember that Tyrande had a hard time to decide which of the brothers Stormrage she would choose to be her mate. Which I read as the women choosing their partners, and as TwilightDisciple said they seem to be polyandrous.

And on live I remember that humans tended to marry in the cathedral, which seems rather odd to me. I mean...shouldn´t only kings and lords be able to marry there?
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

I agree Nostra, commoners would most likely have small village weddings in the local chapel or town hall. Nobles or those associated with the Church of the Light formally would be allowed marriage in the Cathedral.
I know this post is several days old, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in as it pertains to the Night Elves. ^_^

I RP Night Elves a lot on Live. My first long-running RP character was a Night Elf Priest. As marriage and family life did eventually become an issue for her, I came up with what I felt was a logical thought to go by, and my guild (that no longer exists, sadly) just ran with it.

Being that the Kaldorei are a Matriarchal/Patrifocal race, it makes sense that, not only would the woman be the one to choose, but sometimes the male might also have no choice. In my Priest's background, her father (a Druid) woke up one day from the Emerald Dream to find he'd been married off. Her mother just shopped for him in the den like adopting a puppy at an ASPCA center and her family made sure to pay his family a fine dowry for him. This, of course, fostered a bitterness in him that gave him a reason to spend more time than normal in the Emerald Dream (just like that excuse you hear Night Elf women talk about when you type /silly enough times). But my Priest's mother came from an aristocratic social circle of women who treated male Kaldoreis much like chauvenistic men treat women IRL. Fortunately, when he wasn't sleeping to avoid his unwanted spouse, her father taught her better. XD

It probably wouldn't happen as often as simple courtship and choosing, but I can see it happening and thought it was an amusing little subset of Kaldorei marital culture.

Observing Kaldorei culture, it also seems to me that even though the women do the choosing, it's still the men who are the more forward in the act of courtship. But I don't think it would be too far-fetched for it to be vice-versa, since traditionally women Kaldorei were more the warriors/defenders than the men. It's all on whether or not you wanna go with the oldschool or the new school of thought, I guess. ^_^

If a marriage takes place at all, though, it's more than likely going to be with some ritual to gain Elune's favor in the union.
Kazumi7677 Wrote:Her mother just shopped for him in the den like adopting a puppy at an ASPCA center and her family made sure to pay his family a fine dowry for him.

I love it! :D That made me laugh so hard it startled my son.
Simon - Ancient Vindicator
Sorel - I'm a spice trader. No, really, that's what I am! Ignore the Voidwalker behind the curtain...
Irasis - Mute undead warrior-priest
*Agrees with Irasis* Me too! We should definatly go with it! *Runs of to create a female night elf*
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

I believe thats a bit older and that in those modern days it's more evenly balanced
between the female and male Night Elves, only that females tend to be Warriors more.
Irasis Wrote:I love it! :D That made me laugh so hard it startled my son.

Heehee. ^_^ Well yeah, it amused everyone, but it's not too far-fetched.

Rexhunter Wrote:I believe thats a bit older and that in those modern days it's more evenly balanced
between the female and male Night Elves, only that females tend to be Warriors more.

Well, even though Blizzard prettymuch changed that so they didn't have to restrict what gender played what class-wise, in-game you can still see the fine line that was drawn by the culture centuries ago in the majority of the NPCs you run into. On top of that, being that Kaldorei do live for a really long time, there can be many still alive today who abide by the older traditions. Just because general times change doesn't mean that everyone goes along with it. ^_^ That's why I said her mother was from an aristocratic social circle that still behaved in such a manner.
I do suspect that Blizzard toned down a lot of that for the MMO just so they wouldn't step on any toes--even thought it's a fantasy setting and they aren't condoning any of the race's traditions as ways of real-life.However, that's really neither here nor there. The Horde Player's Guide for the tabletop RPG is where I got the information for the other post, but I don't have the Alliance version. Anyone know if it has similar information?
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
Qaza Wrote:I do suspect that Blizzard toned down a lot of that for the MMO just so they wouldn't step on any toes--even thought it's a fantasy setting and they aren't condoning any of the race's traditions as ways of real-life.However, that's really neither here nor there.

Oh I realize. ^_^ I was just offering my own interpretation with the logic behind it. All in light of the lack of other information from another source.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alliance romance traditions - A guide Etmosril 9 2,130 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Last Post: SpiralLateralus
  The on going talk of Marriage... Cressy 16 3,114 04-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Last Post: Theik