The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Mind-reading RP
I do agree on this as well, I have been known to make the odd mistake similar, but character development is Crucial to an RP so keeping your thoughts to yourself is always a good play and as everyone has mentined, its anti metagaming.

I thought id just like to add something as well. I know somepoeple RP the fights as well. Thats understanable and fun ive tried it, but some actions and emotes, I think really have to be taken into concideration. For example, rather than typing /e all the time ithink actual WoW emotions and actions can be more powerful.

Its not always good to say; /e hides behind a bush watching the two bandits.

quite simply sometimes runnig up to a tree and standing behind it is literaly better and more effective. That way when it comes to teh two bandits, they are GENUINLY suprised at your arrival.

SImple things like Waving goodbye, walking past someone and bowing. rather than in the three days ive been here the highly over used. ' /e blinks at ranius'

Anyway sorrry for throwing it in but i fancied joining in and agreeing with this thread XD
Ranius the Human
I agree that overly long and intricate thoughts are completely pointless and spoil the fun. However, some shorter thoughts can actually be quite entertaining to read. A witty or crude comment that a character thinks to himself but doesn´t want to say, for example: (Gosh, what huge cleavage she has!) "A charming elegant dress you are wearing, Milady".

And I COMPLETELY agree with being against those PM´s people send to explain things you couldn´t possibly know about a character when you haven´t even asked or expressed any confusion. It only gives the impression that the player is desperate to talk about his own RP.
You do not have to emote out your thoughts. In the example Blaize gave for example, something Tim is all too familiar with, the following would work just as well, without trying to get people to read your mind:

Tim focused his eyes on the woman's chest for quite a while, obviously staring at their size. "Nice dress!"

No mindreading involved, yet everybody can guess what's going through his head if they notice where he's staring.
Take the sentence; "Fjodor turned around, his eyes flashing with rage"

You might expect to see this in a fantasy novel, although the sentence itself makes no sense. How do eyes flash? And furthermore, how do you distinguish rage flashing eyes from eyes flashing with indignation or lust? But to a reader, the sentence might not appear odd as we are not supposed to act on it.

But take the same sentence in RP, and suddenly Fjordor expects those he plays with to see that he is angry, because of aforementioned eyeflash. A bit like if he had said "... sits back, slumping his shoulders sadly". Giving your actions an emotional description happens very very often, but it really makes little sense to those who reads it. I use the words "smiles happily" often, since that seems logically, but when I use phrases like "smiles with a hint of melancholy", then suddenly I am expecting others to differentiate one smile from another. That's impossible, but a lot of people still do it regardless. Me included.

It's that sort of writing that is better left to books where the reader can imagine how that smile would look, rather then presenting someone else with an action they might not be able to interpret as you want them to.
Ranius Wrote:Its not always good to say; /e hides behind a bush watching the two bandits.

I completely disagree with this statement. This type of thing has happened way too many times when someone just uses the player map, finds some of my characters holding a secret meeting somewhere, and decides to eavesdrop. Some storylines, especially some of the ones I run, aren't always open to the public because too many players ruins the immersion. Not emoting your existance, -gravely- annoys me. Especially when we've taken the time to emote "/me locks the door." to find that some player just stealthed in and acted like they were always in a certain area.

Not to mention any -names-.
I must admit, I'm guilty of typing out my character's thoughts during a roleplay. I'll have to work on that. Nice observations.
My Velouria, even I'll adore ya.
No Theik, I was referring to thoughts that DON´T have much to do with the character´s words or actions. You could think something and do or say something quite different. But sometimes it´s humorous to write that little thought that goes through the character´s head.

It isn´t going to spam, it doesn´t hurt anyone and it can provoke a chuckle or two OOC.
Blaize Wrote:No Theik, I was referring to thoughts that DON´T have much to do with the character´s words or actions. You could think something and do or say something quite different. But sometimes it´s humorous to write that little thought that goes through the character´s head.

It isn´t going to spam, it doesn´t hurt anyone and it can provoke a chuckle or two OOC.

Granted, but if your character things "huge rack" while commenting on the girl's dress, you're very likely going to provoke people into assuming he's staring at her chest. Which is why it's usually best to keep thoughts out of it, to prevent people from making incorrect assumptions.
Hence the polite "charming elegant dress, Milady". It´s only humorous if the action/speech and the brief thought are contradictive. Like I said, it hurts no one and doesn´t spam so...it´s up to the player to know when to use it or not.
waffenbaum Wrote:Take the sentence; "Fjodor turned around, his eyes flashing with rage"

You might expect to see this in a fantasy novel, although the sentence itself makes no sense. How do eyes flash? And furthermore, how do you distinguish rage flashing eyes from eyes flashing with indignation or lust? But to a reader, the sentence might not appear odd as we are not supposed to act on it.

But take the same sentence in RP, and suddenly Fjordor expects those he plays with to see that he is angry, because of aforementioned eyeflash. A bit like if he had said "... sits back, slumping his shoulders sadly". Giving your actions an emotional description happens very very often, but it really makes little sense to those who reads it. I use the words "smiles happily" often, since that seems logically, but when I use phrases like "smiles with a hint of melancholy", then suddenly I am expecting others to differentiate one smile from another. That's impossible, but a lot of people still do it regardless. Me included.

It's that sort of writing that is better left to books where the reader can imagine how that smile would look, rather then presenting someone else with an action they might not be able to interpret as you want them to.

Expressions are hard to explain imho. If someone is really angry, you can see that when you look at the person. So perhaps it is a bit short indeed to just say something like "eyes flashing with rage", but how are you going to explain it otherwise without writing huge sentences? :) I usually ask IC anyway 'Ehm... are you angry?'
[Image: badge.jpg]
I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

/flex! I knew it XD
This is increasing more everyday. Just I saw something along the lines of /e visualizes the dummy as a cross-faction race with hate in their eyes. Even blizzard does it better with the training dummies in Ironforge...
Quote:Banner of the Horde
This banner represents your enemy! Hit the Horde soldier hard and with conviction!
This is how I'd do that one /e growls as he brings down his axe on Training Dummy, splintering it to bits. He stares at the pile for a moment before spitting on it and continuing on his way.

That dummy had a bad day didn't it?
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
I'll just... Bump this.

I've seen an emote that went practically like this.

Azheron well not really. Wrote:/e stares at the wall of the place, as it reminds him/her of the cake that his mother used to bake to him/her when he/she was 5 years and 4 months old.

I exaggerated it. Still.
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the opening post, to an extent. Coming from a forum RP background, I'm used to typing long-winded, grandly detailed emotes. It just makes sense as you have a bunch of time to write and edit your posts. Now, it doesn't exactly adapt well to the chat interface we have in WoW, but I think it's interesting for the reader to know what's going on inside the head of the other character.

This has to be done carefully, however. I'm one of those people who types out ridiculously long emotes, full of emotion and thoughts. It's very important to place an equal amount of actions in there, though, so the other person has something to work with. So really, it's all about balance. I find RP to be dull when the other RPer is only doing actions. I, as the reader, love to understand the inner-workings of a character, even if my character cannot act on them. Just remember to avoid metagaming and everyone can have an enjoyable RP experience, detailed thought-processes or not.

(I hope I'm not reiterating, as I only skimmed over all the comments.)
"...naaaa." She bleated, suddenly very wooly and small.

-Anna
Well. I'm gonna put my own little bit in here. I usually emote using solely actions, to show my character's emotion. For example, "Harthor looks accross the table at the Blood Elf. His eyes reveal a slight twinge of red, and his biceps visually tense. He glares at the Blood Elf, his teeth slowly grinding, awaiting a response." This conveys his rage at a comment, or in his case just a Blood Elf in general. BUT sometimes when another RPer does get that my character is angry, or confused, or whatever, I'll add a little bit. For example, "Harthor looks accross the table at the Blood Elf. His eyes reveal a slight twinge of red, and his biceps visually tense. He glares at the Blood Elf, he's angry." This is still showing the character's physical emotion, and the extra instep into his head isn't needed, but to clarify it's used. I often use the second technique with people I haven't RPed with before, so things go smoother. Once I'm happy that the other person will get what I'm saying right, then I swap to the slightly more detailed first.

My two pennies. Because the penny is superior to the cent.
I am gonna say this is another case of being overly anal. Just live and let live. Let people have their own RP/writing style. As long as lore isn't being violated or characters are not doing unrealistic things then why scorn their style?
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.