The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Mineral Magic
Oh, the various and sundry metals of Warcraft.

My basic question this time is, what are the holy metals of Warcraft/World of Warcraft? I picked up (I think) on the following:

Elunite

Lightforge

Silver

Iron

Questions:

Are there any others?

Are there blessed aspects of metals in Earth's folklore that could be used in WoW?

I read on WoWPedia about the difficulties of crafting Lightforge. Is it a disallowed metal to use for us?

If it is allowed, to what extent can we use it?

Simplest blessed metal to use?

Thanks! Hope that all made sense.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
There's a weapon in game called a Lightforged Blade. Dalikan used it IC, by smelting a sword while infusing it with holy magic at the same time (Cristovao got to be the infuser :D).

Stuff like silver and iron I don't think is actually divine per se, it's just used as a name for stuff (Silver Hand), or metaphors.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Fel iron and Saronite might also be of note - they're particularly unholy metals.

Personally, I might suspect that (Given the whole 'Pantheon of titans as gods' thing) that Titanium and/or Titansteel were 'holy' as well.
I draw my opinion on silver and iron from "real" myths in our world. Which brings my question of those myths up.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Then gold could also be considered holy.
Could be in theory or legitimately on CotH?

A database on metals and their myths would be grand as well.
Well, going off of real life religions.
I always thought that any metal can become Lightforge, by blessing the metal before turning it into armor/weapons. For example:

Josh smelts steel ore into steel bars.

Father Fred blesses the steel bars.

Josh creates a Lightforged [insert here]

Naturally, this wouldn't work on Saronite or Fel Iron. That was just my take on it, considering there is no Lightforge ore.
If only it were that easy.

Magic and Mayhem Wrote:Lightforge Iron is an exceptionally light and flexible metal highly sought after by paladins and templars of all types. According to legend, the ore is formed when touched by the Holy Light. Logically, then, the material is divinely intended for use against the forces of darkness. Although the truth of this is not known, lightforge iron definitely seems to be blessed by some higher power, though it is not inherently good or evil. Even demons have been known to use the material, often out of spite.

Lightforge iron is almost never found deep within the earth. Instead, it appears in clusters of ordinary iron that find their way to the surface during earthquakes or eruptions. Sometimes the ore bubbles up from underground streams or gas pockets that erupt in swamps or moors. This tendency only lends credence to the myriad lightforge iron legends. Deposits have been seen all over the face of Azeroth, but most commonly appear in Dustwallow Marsh, Desolace and the Searing Gorge.

Items crafted of lightforge iron are unnaturally shiny. They gleam brightly in ordinary light, and seem to take on an unnatural radiance when exposed to the full glare of the sun. Even when dirty or dusty they still somehow seem regal in nature. Crafting lightforge iron requires an exceptionally clean environment, almost as though the material expects to be handled in a manner befitting its divine status. The ore must also be precisely purified, or the resulting item will quickly fracture wherever any impurities lie. Most smiths simply do not have the patience to work with such a temperamental material.

Weapons crafted of lightforge iron gather up ambient light and throw it back in an unnatural shine, producing light equal to that of a torch at all times, except in total darkness.
O.O

Damn. Well, I don't particularly see any problems using it in-game. It doesn't scream OP to me.
I know silver is the bane of Worgens.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
(11-23-2011, 08:02 PM)Aphetoros Wrote: I know silver is the bane of Worgens.

That's not really true. There is no reason for Worgen to be affected by silver any more than steel. If you're basing it on the fact that they look like werewolves, then you should also consider that they aren't actually werewolves.

If you're instead thinking that truesilver might affect them, you would again be wrong, because truesilver is specifically an anti-magic weapon. Worgen, while they may be cursed due to magic, have no actual magical defenses, and would therefore still be unaffected.

If worgen were really like traditional werewolves, then they would be immune to everything (except silver) and that's obviously not the case.

Edit: I also noticed that this was a bit of a necro. Sorry, derp.
I'm -pretty- sure I've read that somewhere, but I don't feel like looking for it.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
WoWpedia doesn't mention it, so it may have been retconned since Cataclysm.
I just have to say that the metals obviously have some kind of magic since we do have alchemy in game. And one element can be made into another. BUT in alchemy you're interested in the element and not only its solid metallic form.

As for what suits for Annabelle and her special kind of tinkering?
- Lightforge
- Silver/Truesilver/Gold since they are soft and conductable and would be perfect for 'cores' or anything that contains or channels energy.
- Purified fel iron, not because of any certain unique strength it might have but for the symbolism. Religion liks symbolism.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Undead and Nature Magic c0rzilla 15 6,996 08-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Titan magic and stuff Dae 17 3,571 03-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Graven One/Death Magic Aphetoros 3 1,242 05-12-2010, 06:27 PM