The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Mountain Kings/Dwarven Avatars?
(12-10-2011, 08:50 AM)13kira13 Wrote: That's what I meant about their abilities. So can dwarves use anything else except earth and thunder/lighting? Fire, maybe?

It depends.

Honestly? Dwarf magic is -really- goddamn weird. It's almost like it has its own rules, the problem, though, is that Blizzard never defined those rules.

But, we can review what we do know!

First off, Mountain Kings/Avatars. Why do they use lightning abilities, when only the Wildhammers are shamans? Well you have to realize that Mountain Kings forego the modern ways of the modern dwarf in favor for an almost primal connection to the Titans. They turn their flesh to stone, become gigantic colossi, ect. Mountain Kings do not reflect the abilities of that dwarf society as a whole, rather, Mountain Kings follow a path that is ancient, rooted in their Earthen origins, and the Earthen did use nature abilities, what being... rockpeople and all.

So, yeah, you really can't say "Bronzebeards aren't shamans so therefore they don't use nature magic as Mountain Kings", because the entire concept of a Mountain King is putting aside what defines the dwarf culturally in order to channel the most powerful aspects of the Titans inside of them. Be it Bronzebeard, Darkiron, Stormpike, or Wildhammer, or Frostborn, the nature of the Mountain King is universal to every clan.

Now, you can ask WHY Mountain Kings use lightning of all things, and the answer to that is.... Blizzard thought it was cool. Yep. Viking-Thor-stuff and all that. There is not real lore-given reason why they have storm hammers and thunderclap, they just -do- because its -badass-.

As for fire... well, there's no lore supporting that, but there's no lore denying it either. Dwarfs have been geomancers in the past, which use a combination of Earth and Fire magic, so there is that. If you want to design a "fire variant" of the mountain king, you are free to try, but remember that any fire aspects of a dwarf will be tied to the earth, eg lava, magma, molten rocks, ect, and not shooting fireballs and stuff at people. But hey, if you can get creative enough, then go for it! I can see a Mountain King trading in thunderclap for a sort of miniature volcanic eruption at his feet, and trading in storm hammer for a magma hammer. Experiment around, get creative.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
I was actually thinking of making a dwarven avatar, instead. But, seeing as dwarven avatars and mountain kings are similar, if not the same, as you said, I would like to add:

In my opinion, mountain kings are, indeed, more noble-type, but they also use armor, not being able to turn their skin into stone for as long as dwarven avatars can. Mountain kings also wield enruned maces and axes, granting them these abilities.
Then, dwarven avatars, who are not as noble-y, would resemble bone crushers, choosing to use their stone skin (which, again, lasts longer than a mountain king's) rather than armor. Wheter they would have the enruned weapons as mountain kings use, I'm not sure. I guess any one could find/make/steal/buy an enruned weapon, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
Mountain kings are Dwarven Avatars, though. Mostly.

That being that pretty much all Mountain Kings become Dwarven Avatars, and pretty much every Dwarven Avatar is a Mountain King in their own right.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Quote:From Dwarven Avatar
Though all Ironforge dwarves can learn to turn their bodies to living stone, dwarven avatars learn to focus this ability to even greater effect. The dwarven avatar learns to project his own energies into the earth to shift and shape it to his will. The most experienced dwarven avatars unlock the greatest power of their titan heritage, acquiring the ability to transform their bodies into living iron.

This practically says that dwarven avatars can bend the earth to their will, much like a shaman, while mountain kings cannot, just use thunder clap, which is actually an any warrior's ability, just a little stronger for dwarves.
(12-10-2011, 09:14 AM)13kira13 Wrote: I was actually thinking of making a dwarven avatar, instead. But, seeing as dwarven avatars and mountain kings are similar, if not the same, as you said, I would like to add:

In my opinion, mountain kings are, indeed, more noble-type, but they also use armor, not being able to turn their skin into stone for as long as dwarven avatars can. Mountain kings also wield enruned maces and axes, granting them these abilities.
Then, dwarven avatars, who are not as noble-y, would resemble bone crushers, choosing to use their stone skin (which, again, lasts longer than a mountain king's) rather than armor. Wheter they would have the enruned weapons as mountain kings use, I'm not sure. I guess any one could find/make/steal/buy an enruned weapon, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

If you REALLY want to split hairs over the matter, then Mountain Kings show more control over their avatar abilities, triggering it at will and still using weapons and armor, where as an avatar "class" pretty much turns himself back into an Earthen and breaks your face in with his STONEY MANLY PHYSIQUE.

And technically not every Mountain King is a literal, actual king/noble, but most are/have been. The average joe schmoe can't be one, at any rate, unless he was a noobie who was simply learning the path of the avatar.

So practically, mountain king >= dwarven avatar in strength, as well as (former) political power ?
They don't all have political power, or are even former nobility, but any mountain king would be a highly respected member of his clan, like a military officer, or a high priest.
So what about the topic of element using? Can they, for example, hurl Lava Lashes, or something similar, instead of the magical hammers?
(12-10-2011, 09:30 AM)13kira13 Wrote: So what about the topic of element using? Can they, for example, hurl Lava Lashes, or something similar, instead of the magical hammers?

I addressed that here:

Quote:As for fire... well, there's no lore supporting that, but there's no lore denying it either. Dwarfs have been geomancers in the past, which use a combination of Earth and Fire magic, so there is that. If you want to design a "fire variant" of the mountain king, you are free to try, but remember that any fire aspects of a dwarf will be tied to the earth, eg lava, magma, molten rocks, ect, and not shooting fireballs and stuff at people. But hey, if you can get creative enough, then go for it! I can see a Mountain King trading in thunderclap for a sort of miniature volcanic eruption at his feet, and trading in storm hammer for a magma hammer. Experiment around, get creative.
I would be inclined to say 'Mountain King' is just the noble version of the 'Avatar' while 'Avatar' is just a commoner who did the same things.

Thane is also an honorary title, you don't necessarily need to be of noble blood to get it.

So...

Do something badass --> Be offered the training by a Mountain King --> Go through the 'three day meditation' --> You're an Avatar being trained by a Mountain King --> Be given the title of 'Thane' from the King of Ironforge (Or wherever) --> You're a Mountain King.

Go through the 'three day meditation' --> You're an Avatar.

Already an Avatar --> Do something badass --> Be offered training by Mountain King... and so forth

At least, my interpretation. Probably wrong.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dwarven Ages? A2headedcrab 5 1,438 08-20-2013, 04:37 AM
Last Post: falcophoenix
  Dwarven Society Vrahn 12 2,233 11-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Vrahn
  A Dwarven Prayer. Mokoz 0 2,309 04-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mokoz
  About the Signatures and Avatars Theonar 9 1,406 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Lucheiah
  Question about Avatars Levi 13 2,098 06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sersay