The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Muscle-Building and Your Characters
So, I play a lot of really big, muscle-bound brutes. It's something I enjoy. A couple of conversations have come up regarding unrealistic weights for muscular forms, so on and so forth. So, since this is something I have done some research on, allow me to help you all think about character weight in regards to muscle builds.

First of all, a picture can say a thousand words, so take a look at this:

Spoiler:
[Image: 132371526674_zpsc9873eb6.jpg]

Edit: To clarify, I didn't draw this. Cappn has a link to the full image lower down!

One of the biggest problems with regards to people making "strong" characters in fantasy is having no idea how actual muscle is built, or what an actual "strong man" looks like. When most people think strength, they think bodybuilders. Yet, that is not the true "strongest" build. Bodybuilders are at their weakest on the stage.

If you've ever watched a World's Strongest Man competition, you'll know that the strongest men tend to have little, or no, muscle definition at all. It's all raw bulk, without much care for fat over top of it. Take a look at some of the competitors and you'll see what I mean. That "V-shape" that people talk about is not a sign of immense strength!

How does this relate to weight? Bodybuilders that compete are often in the mid 200's to low 300's range in terms of weight. If you look at the weights of competitors in World's Strongest Man? You're talking 300's to mid 400's! The fat that they have increases the weight, certanly, but you also have to consider that they have stronger muscles in places most competing bodybuilders don't, like their core/midsection. Strongmen often have thick waists that, to someone not familiar, would make them look "fat." Until they show you just how much they can lift.

So, think carefully before you assert what kind of build your character has. If you're saying that your character is "three hundred pounds of muscle," then you need to think about "what kind of muscle?" and if there's anything else there pushing that number up. Is it muscle for show, or muscle for work? Because if it's for work, at that weight he's probably not holding that "bodybuilder" style look to him.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -

I think this exemplifies what an actual strongman is.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
+1 for ABDOMINATION

Actually here have the WHOLE DAMN THING:

http://coelasquid.deviantart.com/art/Abd...-132538271
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
...Cappn's signature just 'bout sums this up.

:P

Edit: Oh god, now there's a bunch of muscle building ads popping up.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
The truth of the matter is that Grakor is telling us all to work out. Gee Grakor. Thanks for the hint. Not self-conscious at all or anything now. *sobs*
I wonder what body-type a cannibal prefers. :| Building for bulk?
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
(04-29-2013, 09:09 PM)Beltharean Wrote: ...Cappn's signature just 'bout sums this up.

:P

Edit: Oh god, now there's a bunch of muscle building ads popping up.

What can I say, Belth? I know what's what.

/flex
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
...I got a leaf-blower ad...

But I have to say, YES. The idea that a perfectly sculpted greek-like statue is considered the strong and muscular man is just plain wrong.

Though she's female, I always think about how my old gym teacher told us about this Olympic Weightlifter Holley Mangold and how people called her fat but she was actually pretty muscular and strong. I mean, look at what she can do:

Muscular doesn't always mean sculpted, and I think she's a great example of that. The same definitely goes for guys.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
(04-29-2013, 09:09 PM)Beltharean Wrote: Edit: Oh god, now there's a bunch of muscle building ads popping up.

Lots of muscular guys on those ads.

Not that I'm eyeing them.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Well, Grak.. goal. In a single post, you managed to gather my respect.

In a certain place, that wouldn't be here of course, I've seen many characters built like bodybuilders, humans, orcs, worgen, you name it. Funniest part of them all is that after a quick argument with a player with a personage like that, my dwarf was quite legitimately stronger than him and won the armwrestle. Needless to say that I only managed to convince him after twenty minutes.

When you see a human with bare chest, and a thick-shouldered dwarf that doesn't seem to really want to remove his shirt because there's absolutely no need to, you really should bet on the dwarf.

Anyway, yes, yes, and yes. Yes for real strength and muscles, no for the looks of someone's flesh grossly patched to your chest like a dummy, reminds me of Forsaken abominations.
Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_lho5ae3Fu31qe94fqo1_400.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sorting My Characters Grakor456 35 5,431 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Last Post: McKnighter