The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Which Neverwinter Nights would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
NWN1: personal preference
11.76%
2 11.76%
NWN1: I can't run NWN2
0%
0 0%
I'm fine with either
41.18%
7 41.18%
NWN2: Personal Preference
41.18%
7 41.18%
Other
0%
0 0%
I will never RP through these games
5.88%
1 5.88%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

NWN: Building a CotHlike experience
Now, I don't mean to be a doomsayer, but as someone whose been in love with the custom-tailored experience we have experienced through WoW, with CMCs, DM-like GM controls, world building and the likes...

Well, as nice as other MMOs are, I am just plain reluctant to let our storytelling tools go.

Which is what brings me to Neverwinter Nights, (not to be comfused with the game simply titled "Neverwinter") which is a series focused around porting the DnD experience and Neverwinter lore to the computer. This, of course, means tons of storytelling tool potential.

Like in the WoW server, GMs would be able to puppet NPCs, we could offer CMCs, and have total control over leveling, the spellbook and other mechanics. As it offers existing campaign maps, we can poach and modify them for our personal use, like using a stray building in Stormwind as your own home. We also have tools to create our own maps and environments.

If that sounds good to you, there's simply one question I need to ask: Which Neverwinter Nights? There are two.

Neverwinter Nights 1 Pros
-Accessability. NWN runs on all the OSs and computers our users could throw at it. I wouldnt be suprised if someone could make it run on a tablet DOS emulator, even.
-The easiest map maker ever. Seriously. It be really easy.
-A Modding community still active today.

Cons
-Its not very pretty. Think somewhere between Everquest1 and Morrowind.
-Modding in models (especially character models) is tedious. The models are segmented, so you have to make 16 separate meshes and properly label 'em up and all that.
-Modding existing terrain packages is difficult. You're going to be stuck with one theme (forest, desert, indoors, palace, etc.) for each map.

Neverwinter Nights 2 Pros
-Its a lot prettier. Think late XBOX to early 360 graphics-arguably prettier than WoW, from a graphical (rather than art design) perspective.
-More is technically possible with maps than NWN1. You can have true mountains and valleys and slopes, with more dynamically painted textures.
-Model import, export and creation are easier. Tools like Blender and 3dđMax along with contemporary modeling methods can be used to produce mods, without odd segmented mesh quirks.
-Character customization is more detailed and easier.
-Its for Mac and PC

Neverwinter Nights 2Cons
-Making maps is harder. More control means a more demanding learning curve.
-Its more demanding on computer. Your little "craptop" computer that barely handles stormwind on a good day isn't going to have as easy a time with NWN2. If you feel this might effect you, check the minimum requirements and post feedback here.

So, please post your thoughts, as well as experience with these games, if any. Let's see if this could suit some of our storytelling needs!
The issue I can think of here?

It will take a -damn- long time to build something in NWN. Granted, it's a good system, but all the servers that are around now like... they kinda have been fine tuning themselves for 10+ years. Making custom areas is neat and fun---but there's also certain other things workin' against you in those types of settings.

I suggest looking around. Seeing what's out there. If we want this, we need to do some heavy research. This will likely be a long project, and not something that could be snapped together in a week or two.

Edit: Also there's something I didn't mention, and almost forgot about. The character creation systems. An issue that I've run into on almost -all- NWN servers... is that people while still RPing, tend to use min-maxed specific builds that take the fun out of it and turn it into almost a PvP "Oh your build sux" type of thing. I've seen it practically on -every- NWN servers. It's... a hostile sort of thing and not really something I would like to see on CoTH...

To be frank, we all just kinda have tossed the idea of any firm systems out the window for the sake of making it fair and non-competitive and the systems in Neverwinter Nights are anything but fair, and are totally competitive.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

As someone whose been playing NWN for the last couple of months. The models are actually okay, not a ton of customization but there are packs to add more to the models, if you can find them.
"Leave now, mortal! The likes of you are forbidden in this land. You, who are powerless, are not worthy to set foot here." - Cerberus
Building stuff in NWN just as an environment is *easy.* We fine-tune it as we go. We don't need more than models (with their built-in emotes) a map (we can RP in existing maps) and we're vasically set. As a game, it takes a loong time, but we don't *need* that for storytelling. We can pvp in other games.
(01-23-2015, 11:55 AM)Dae Wrote: Building stuff in NWN just as an environment is *easy.* We fine-tune it as we go. We don't need more than models (with their built-in emotes) a map (we can RP in existing maps) and we're vasically set. As a game, it takes a loong time, but we don't *need* that for storytelling. We can pvp in other games.

I'm just saying that's how it typically ends up going. We don't need that, sure, but often that's how it goes. Along with that, even if it's easy... it'll take time to build up a usable setting. A lot of time.

Like I said, I'm cool with the project but it's not something we can just slap together right away, eh?

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

WHy not. But does it require one to buy NVN?
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
(01-23-2015, 12:11 PM)Holynexus Wrote: WHy not. But does it require one to buy NVN?

Typically yes.

I will say yes, because it's the uh. Best option for it. But places like GOG sell it for ten bucks.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(01-23-2015, 11:10 AM)Dae Wrote: -Its not very pretty. Think somewhere between Everquest1 and Morrowind.

This is a proooooobblleeeemmmmm? :D
Finally had a chance to sit down and finish the OP.

(01-23-2015, 05:48 PM)Maulbane Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 11:10 AM)Dae Wrote: -Its not very pretty. Think somewhere between Everquest1 and Morrowind.

This is a proooooobblleeeemmmmm? :D

To some people, yes. For me personally, its not the graphics so much as the difficulty the system causes for character customization.
I know not everyone is a 3D artist, but just walk into any CotH chatroom and ask how many people spent as much time developing their character for WoWCotH as they did dressing them. To me, I would like to make sure part of the experience of CotH isn't lost completely, and I, personally, am better equipped to fulfill it and help others through tools that would be used in NWN2 modding. I'm a bit bias in that manner.

Still, that's what this thread is for- seeing which of these pros and cons are more important to those interested in participating.

Also, @Harmonic, Not really sure where you got the idea that I'm demanding a massive project, with an entire world and custom, perfectly-balanced PVP mechanics. I just want to use one of these games as a set piece like we did with WoW, whether or not we make custom content or not. Custom stuff is important to me and many others from what I understand, but picking a game to focus on is all this particular thread is about.
Either you're making a whole lot of assumptions, or you're assuming that every little thing thrown around in the frenetic Skype chat is on the table roght now. Either way, its going to keep things neater, especially for those not involved with Skype, if we stick primarily to the content found within the thread.

Also, to everyone in general, thos isn't an official GM action. This is me, as a member of the community, trying to come up with something in the wake of the DMCA stuff. If it were an official GM action expected to be headed by the entire server, it would be an announcement, and generally covered in bright green and orange fingerprints. If you do or do not like this or another idea, this isn't a threat. Just explakn your thoughts and feelings.
I'm not saying you are demanding a massive project, Dae. Heh. It sounds like you want to make it the new private server though, and I'm just saying it's a bit involved compared to other Neverwinter Nights servers I've been a member of. You guys do as you wish, I'm not trying to stomp on anyone's fun, my input was simply that "If you plan to make it that scale, it'll be a large project."

That's it.

Edit: I will say though that NWN2 is going to be a -beast- compared to the first one though if you're going to try to make content there. That I know for a fact is much less friendly. >.>

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I. Love. This. Idea.

I love you guys AND NWN. Anything you guys need I'll be happy to support with my... uh... Bardic Knowledge..? :D
[Image: nick-miller-writer-advice.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Building, on Terraria Jaella 3 714 11-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Cressy
  Building in Minecraft Tips Bingles 12 1,713 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Sersay