The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Northrend?
Respectfully, I think this topic is making a lot more drama then there needs to be. I mean, it's only gear, and it's only a game.
Since we have already clarified that it is against the rules, now I'll clarify -why-. The trouble isn't so much from all the people up there occasionally killing them while grinding. We aren't assuming that if you occasionally killed one, that your whole purpose was to seek those ones out alone.

The problem is that the low hp mobs -are- there, yet no one said anything and it has just kept going on. Whether or not you meant to kill them doesn't change that you went there for the express purpose of grinding. And this much grinding in a place with these bugged mobs -is- exploitation, regardless of how much gold they may drop, regardless of how many other people are doing it, and regardless of reasons for going there.

/dust
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Shivali Wrote:Respectfully, I think this topic is making a lot more drama then there needs to be. I mean, it's only gear, and it's only a game.

*High five*

Thankyou!
[Image: walrus_family_affair-2.gif]
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol
To be bluntly honest here this whole thing has been blown out of proportion.
Its a rule no Exploiting everyone has to had to read the rules, I did but I still farmed gold and Im happy to hold my hand up to that and accept what ever consequences there are for doing it, basically what I'm trying to say is this is causing way to much bother so let's just all move on from it and get back to RP as that's what we all joined this server for!
Walluce Wrote:
Shivali Wrote:Respectfully, I think this topic is making a lot more drama then there needs to be. I mean, it's only gear, and it's only a game.

*High five*

Thankyou!

Amen.
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
I don't think it's so much the gear/gold in this case.

Honestly, it just sounds like bad communication - by all parties. Some people knew about these, some people didn't; some people opted to keep it a secret altogether; and because there are conflicts regarding what was said and why, that was exactly why this thread was made to begin with; to have concise and crystal-clear clarity as to what is and is not allowed per the rules.

I can't blame Cressy for that; I'm glad the whole issue was brought up; but it was taken from the context of rules...
...to transgressions, to presumptions of bans, to what seem like deeply-rooted contempts and unsaid disdains that seemed to have manifested themselves over a long period of time...

...to an explosion of several things that really weren't necessary.

Maybe an addendum to the rules regarding this should be written, in regards to this - as it's apparent questions regarding Northrend will arise.
It's just sad that it had to come to this extent in order to achieve that, and the clarity still seems muddy and convoluted amidst the torrent of frustrations.

:(
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Uulari[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Seer[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
[Image: badge.jpg]
I'm a Shaman? Really? Huh.
Wow, I just wrote like, a six paragraph'd post with intentions of explaining why not to exploit (other then the reason it's against the rules), why we don't NEED 'high-level' gear and a way to get money without doing stuff in Northrend! But then again, I'd probably repeat what everyone said in this post. Gosh darn your fast-posting! Hehe.

Edit: Because I thought this post wouldn't really be necessary without some helpful information, I'll throw a few tips in farming. Outlands. They usually drop fifty silver each. Everytime I go there, I get a nice amount of money. Yes, I kill them in my low-level RP gear. If you're level 80, you can do it naked-- just make sure you have your DnD on. . . Hehe.

Now, lets speak hypothetically. I came across an exploitable bug and immidiatly I was thinking about reporting it to the sections. Though, I can't say I'm a goody-goody here. I'd probably have a lot of temptation. I could've been farther then where I am now if I exploited the bug. But I asked myself a question that turned these thoughts away. . .

Where else is there a Private RP Server with all the right rules and regulations to support my needs? I mean, even if I exploited it and reported it, there was -still- a chance of me getting banned-- I don't know about you, but that's the last thing I want! So I reported it. It was worth it too, because if I exploited it, then I wouldn't even be here. It just wasn't worth the risk. So next time you come across a bug, you should do what's right. You probably wont get gold from it, or even a thanks, but you should do it for the server: because -that- is what matters.
[Image: Calvin_and_Hobbes_hug_by_Humongous_E.png]
Oh no, I completely understand. ;) I'm speaking regards to newbies, mostly though.
I'd hate for this to be any modicum of reference when they come join us.
Having been a retail GM myself for a few years; I can understand how others here feel, on both ends. Both sides are frustrating as hell. :( I just worry that the newer folk might not be so understanding.

Edit: Here's a picture of kittens. Please /hug them accordingly.
[Image: bluepill330_kittenimage1.jpg]
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
I'll just make a few comments here (for now) -

Firstly: I have no intention of banning people over this. Not even those that may have gotten somewhat heated in this topic, because it still has been kept fairly intelligent and flame-free, other than some accusations here and there, trying to use various arguments against the other side, etc. I do think some parts could have been handled better, but I assume this is already known.

I can understand why some people may not have mentioned it themselves to a GM. As some have said, this was apparently so widespread that it was almost impossible for a GM not to know about it, not to mention at least one GM apparently knowing about it for sure, so perhaps the general train of thought was, indeed, that this was a form of throwing players a bone to get easy money and leveling to make up for the current state of the server.
That said, I'm also trusting that people are aware now that, were it 'officially sanctioned,' so to speak, it probably would have been announced, or at least made more publicly known.

As has been said multiple times - people are human, people make mistakes. Or... "A person is smart. People are dumb, stupid animals, and you know it!" (One of my favorite quotes from MiB ;)) Yes, I acknowledge that this goes for both sides. I appreciate the handful of people that have been attempting to remain neutral and even-tempered, and even those that may not have been even-tempered, but at least restraining themselves from going crazy and cursing out everyone else and leaving forever and-... well, you get the idea.

For now, we GMs are still discussing what we wish to do about this. Something that already has been done is that I've fixed the money rates on mobs that have 1hp or that are level 1. This is the same thing I had to do pre-WotLK as well. The way the emulator code handles money rates for mobs that don't actually have an amount set is I believe generates an amount based on both the level of the mob and how much hp it has. With an extra multiplier due to the current heightened money drop rate on the server, this could be quite a lot more than we intended. (As a reminder, the money rate was increased to 10x instead of 5x a while ago to help with grinding for training costs and whatnot.)
There are still mobs out there with bugged drop rates, but I'll get to them eventually.

The potential action that we're going to do is effectively give everyone a three-day, since it was apparently a good portion of the server that was doing this. I feel this is a fair compromise between needing to get the message out about what was done was wrong and to help prevent it from happening again in the future. However, during this downtime, I intend to rip my attention away from retail and try and rekindle my interest back here in order to create some NPCs, perhaps start the framework of the custom areas we had before. I don't intend to do too much, because once NCDB does eventually come out with a new revision (for database content, that is), everything custom will be lost and I'll have to port things over by hand. However, I do at least intend to create the quest for level 80s to complete in order to get their tokens and gold. In addition, I can probably formulate another database query to cut training costs by a percentage to help everyone with saving some money on the training. I'll just have to remember to save the query so it'll be easy to do whenever a new DB update comes out.

When I say "effectively" in the previous paragraph, I mean that every account except for GMs will be suspended. This means the server will still be up for internal usage and preparations, although I may take it down intermittently for other testing and updates. Account creation will also be disabled during this time. Again, though, this is what I have in mind, as I had stated I had no intention of banning people over this, all things taken into consideration.

I'll see about adding more after more deliberation. (and now to read the three posts that were put up before I finished this ;))
Allow me to just say that I think I've been in northrend. I was told I was allowed there by a GM I can't remember who but they said that it was open OOCly. I noticed the mobs in Northrend with 1 health and I did make a note of it in the chat I should have reported it but I didn't cause I assumed you guys knew about it. Was that wrong yes. Now to the point. I have been farming in Northrend for the last week. People who know me on the server know that I collect gear for people. I try my best to give gear (Full green sets. EX: Knight's Chestplate, Knight's Gauntlets ect...) Truthfully I noticed the mobs and attacked a few of them but they only drop like 3-10 silver each and sure that may seem like a lot but in Northrend that's not that much. The mobs I've attacked now are normal mobs they have the normal health and they can kill me if I'm not careful. They still have low health but from what I can tell that's how there suppose to be because if you aggro one you aggro about 30 of them.

I think some people should be allowed because like MoonlightBlossom said earlier the server has drifted into a majority of people farming to get their spells rather then RPing. A few of my characters are still in a stage where they can't rp unless someone is on so at night I like to just farm so I can help those who can't farm get there spells and stuff. As stated by Cressy we normal players are limited to getting items the normal way and thus we have to work together which is why I have always been open as one of the early 80's in the massive numbers to do raids and stuff to help people get gear.

Anyway I think we should stop this topic and just let the GM's take what has been said and make a ultimate choice.

-Tales

Edit: I think everyone can accept what Kretol said there. I think that it basically raps up the thread and that all that's left is to let the GM's read our opinions and see what they ultimately decide.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
Heh, what Kretol said is what we ultimately decided. That way, it makes things... better for all of us.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Job done, lets stop this whole arguement and party hard.

/Agree
Who Loves Orange Soda?
Well, while that's getting sorted.

If there's downtme or anything of that sort; there's always the new and shiny CotH Steam Group to join, for you L4D, TF2, Dystopia players. *HINT*
Hmmm, well, there does seem to be a lot more of a hype over this than I had expected to see when I first saw the post about six hours ago. However, I'm not really going to throw my opinion onto the table, as I have missed that part of the talk. I would however like to throw something else out into the air.

We -really- shouldn't be losing a quality RPer over a case such as this. This isn't directed to the GMs, but rather to Cressy. I really hope that you come back and read this at some point tomorrow with a cooler head and re-consider things. You did make a valid point here, and the population does need some sort of way to be able to gather gear ourselves from reasonably challenged instances, but as it is, rules are rules, and until they are changed, that's how it is. However, as has been stated, no one is going to receive a ban for this, and I'd like it if you would return to the server, we all have bursts of anger and do some things we usually regret later, but there is no reason to lose you over that.

So, even if I hardly ever find you in my RP group, I hope you pop yourself back on, cya around.
[Image: Signature.png]
As a side note, I seemed to run a more broader query than I intended, as now it seems every mob that didn't have a money value specified had it set to 1 copper (base). At any rate, I'll get this fixed during the downtime coming up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brilliance! (Northrend related :B) muhaha8 5 1,358 11-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Last Post: muhaha8
  More Northrend Roleplay! Rikhard 10 2,074 05-27-2010, 05:20 AM
Last Post: anji