The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Nothing is certain but death and taxes, but stop killing!
Seriously, I've noticed an increasing amount of drama on the forum, and most of it seems to sum up to "Person X killed person Y, and then attempted to prevent person Y's chance at revival by launching him to the moon." It makes me wonder, why are people so dead set on killing each other lately? What is the big pull of trying to ruin somebody else's character for them?

Yes, I know, it's a war out there, but that's really no excuse for trying to ruin the game for other people. I'll use the Daggerclaw as an example here. They were savage, they would attack anybody within their territory, but even though we did that, we made certain not to ruin the game for other people. Those who got defeated in combat got given plenty of opportunities to escape, or we'd sell them to the goblins from where they could branch out their character as a slave, be freed by their friends, whatever.

Yes, you might end up in combat, but why in heaven's name does it always have to end in death? (And even sillier, why would you go to ridiculous lengths to try and prevent somebody's resurrection? Unless you're a troll who's scared their spirit will come to haunt you, that's just trying to OOCly be a pain to get on the other player's nerves.)

Yes, the one death rule is put in place to keep people from pulling a superman and constantly bouncing back into action because they're invincible, but that's no excuse to actively try to ruin the game for other people. We're one big community here and constantly trying to kill people isn't productive for RP in the slightest. So the next time somebody walks into "your territory", instead of killing them and then cutting them into a billion pieces and claiming they can't revive any longer, stop to think for a second how you would feel.

There's nothing wrong with simply knocking them out, not everybody has to die. It might help save a lot of this drama we've been getting.

</rant>
I think this is going in hand with the "required warnings" or whatever that's been going on. The "OMG JUST A WARNING YOU ARE SO GONNA DIE IF YOU LOOK IN MY CHARACTERS GENERAL DIRECTION!!"

It's mutated pretty badly.

I agree. Character deaths are expensive. Death should be something negotiated. Maybe the player isn't ready to end it all. Or, maybe they want their character to die? Get knocked out and injured instead. Hell, suffering defeats can be very storyline-enhancing.

There are some larger circumstances where there should be points of no returns or guaranteed death, but I think these should be restricted to larger-scale incidences, but not on this smaller scale.
˜★Sketch Blog
I thought about this for awhile, and my motives have always been faction vs. faction, or my motives for it, Yes. War is going on and it will lead to death, but the limited yet numerous ammount of players here don't need to be the ones to lose their characters, it's hard enough to get our of an RP situation where -your- character would fight, but you've gotten far with him/her and wouldn't want to lose it permanently, Death with PC's should become rarer now.

It takes time, but think of the -other- player and his/her character, and how would -you- feel if your character died/lost life like that? Unconciousness ftw!

I love you Theik. :) Great post!
I agree with Oleander for the most part, but let me explain something about the characters I play.

They will beat someone if they get annoyed, but if you do something unforgivable (Say, betray your race for the sake of your enemy? Maybe even insult them over and over when they're angry at you.) they WILL beat you within an inch of your life, and some of them will likely take your life altogether. Realistically, as well, Blood Elves will not tolerate Night Elves or their supporters, and Orcs will not tolerate being harassed by the Alliance.

TL;DR: Not all of my characters will kill yours in combat, hell they barely kill anything at all, but if your characters do something stupid IC and REALLY get them mad... Their life may be forfeit.
The warnings for character death and maiming are sometimes, bad ones also. It causes a lot of drama when people say, "This person warned me right before they emoted that they (stabbed, shot, ect.) me!!!"

I beleive, the moment any sort of Role-Play gets violent, warnings should be given. This would sure save a lot of drama over that issue, which I've seen happen almost twice recently.
Now I agree that there is far too much killing over stupid things but I do think death should be a possibility though I think your character needs to have a reason to kill someone cause I've seen far too much I've killed him because... [Insert Phony Reason Here].

There are some characters that if killed would ruin not only there own storyline but that of other peoples storylines maybe one or two but sometimes in the case of Story Teller Characters who can support anywhere from five to ten to even twenty characters or more. If you do something stupid yes you should die and I think just like in real life you have to be careful. I don't think a warning should be required but I do think that players should use common sense and be respectful like come on killing people kills RP and I can say I've been the cause of one death but I have never killed anyone.

Please remember the feeling if your character dies and only kill if you have to.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
I seem to feel that this came from my recent treatment of a Blood Elf spy I found in my base.

I'll clarify, since Thiek seems to be going off on every front about this - I gave this Blood Elf a fair character warning when I read his emoting of sneaking around the assembly. This was about six/seven minutes before we proceeded to attack him. He wasn't even injured, not even close to death.

We have never killed anyone in the past, and hopefully, we will never have to. So why say that we did?
We are the hero of our own story.
- Mary McCarthy

Carathor Wrathwood: an enigmatic Night Elf with many wild stories to tell.
Azitalon "Thunderscream": the ruthless Chieftain of the infamous Wartusk clan.
Honestly, it really appalls me to hear about so many people aiming to kill each other. The whole death rule was originally put in to prevent people from getting into stupid situations and just not care about death since, back then, they'd be able to resurrect without penalty indefinitely. It was never meant to be encouragement to go around killing each other at the earliest opportunity.

Character death is indeed a mood killer. I'd think that people would be gracious enough to give whoever they're fighting against opportunity to flee, if the character attempts to do so. However, if said character just keeps getting into fights, then I'd imagine that'd get old fast.

Hearing about people mutilating a corpse or whatever to prevent a person's resurrection really angers me... enough to hand out insta-bans as soon as I hear about it. Seriously, without meta-gaming, why would a character chop up a corpse and scatter the pieces across several continents (or whatever other innovative way they think up to try and prevent a rez)?

People need to learn that killing other characters off really does nothing for your character. I can honestly say that, when I first heard about people making characters specifically to kill others off, I've had the urge to go into evil-DM mode and have a slew of guards somehow find these characters and kill them off. Grrr.

Anyhow, stop focusing so much on character deaths. At this rate, I may think up a rule concerning characters that honestly don't attempt to get into battles (for instance, people starting something with them) and give them extra resurrections. Or, perhaps something regarding the characters that instigate fights for no real reason... I don't know. Some sort of PK-protection.
SteveWuzHere Wrote:I seem to feel that this came from my recent treatment of a Blood Elf spy I found in my base.

I'll clarify, since Thiek seems to be going off on every front about this - I gave this Blood Elf a fair character warning when I read his emoting of sneaking around the assembly. This was about six/seven minutes before we proceeded to attack him. He wasn't even injured, not even close to death.

We have never killed anyone in the past, and hopefully, we will never have to. So why say that we did?

This was not actually triggered by the death threats thrown about by the Wartusk, Azi. :P Recently we've been getting an increasing amount of characters who's sole purpose seems to be killing people. Evil paladins who think everybody who doesn't agree with them should be killed (had a whole guild of those causing drama), Forsaken going to Elwynn to kill people, etc.etc.

I know it's a war and deaths happen, but some people are just a tad too eager to ruin somebody else's character for them.
One problem is that some character's, wouldn't flee in a battle. Orcs are probably a great example. So if a character does flee, there might be some OOC drama about not playing the character right. It's human nature to want to win, just people take it too seriously, and won't be happy about the character coming back after they've died. A victory is a victory, afterall.

Which leads up to the points that Krent made in his previous post.

So in the words of Krent: RELAX.

Enjoy the game people, don't wreck it for others.

Silly Mikain! XD
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Hawk Wrote:One problem is that some character's, wouldn't flee in a battle. Orcs are probably a great example. So if a character does flee, there might be some OOC drama about not playing the character right. It's human nature to want to win, just people take it too seriously, and won't be happy about the character coming back after they've died. A victory is a victory, afterall.

Yeah, that's a good point. When it comes down to it, it shouldn't have to force people into the situation of running away. "You better run or you're dead." That's somewhat a power-play, grabbin' the whole thing by the balls and saying that the weaker side is going to be penalised, they either lose face or life. I don't think there's any harm in a good beasting and dumping the guy in the nearest river, but killing for the sake of killing? In my opinion it should really not have to come to that.

It's really a waste to, so far I've seen some awesome players, fair enough I haven't been on the server for long but it would really be a shame to see some characters die and be the lost to the "What you looking at?" syndrome. :)
The character warning is enough. If said person seems to be intent on sticking around, it is not the killer's fault anymore. Like Kret said, the character warning is to prevent people from entering stupid Rambo situations.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
Player Killing just ain't any fun. I've been RPing for years, forum and IM RPing where it's even easier to make a new character then here and even then PK was highly avoided because unless it's a planned tragedy that somehow adds to the story(and that the player of the character agrees on) we never did it because simply it wouldn't add anything.

There's absolutely no need to get all macho because of a testosterone poisoning and feeling that you're all big and bad and need to kill someone to prove it. Act the bigger man and just beat them to a pulp, then leave them be, or think of some other creative solution to it. Killing isn't creative, it's just boring and thoughtless. If you're here to RP and be creative(which RPing fully consists of) then be creative and think of other means to deal with a character that's pissed you off. There are ways to deal with people that's intruded on your area, or pissed you and/or your buddies off then killing them. In the end killing is just the cruelest thing you could do to a persons character OOC, IC there are things that are muuuuch worse.

So if you wanna be a big and cruel man/woman and seem all hardass, think of other ways to deal with troublemakers.

My two cents. <3
[Image: banner.png]
A recently started Sonic forum for all ages and shapes. We discuss both old and new Sonic stuff, but by no means keep ourselves on just that area. We're a community of gamers, artists, role players and the like.

Please pop in and have a look. :]
I don't give character warnings in the LFG channel. One day I logged on and saw something like 8 CW in the course of 30 mins and you gotta think: Is it that this character *may* die, or are you *planning* on them dying?

My style is to drop In Character clues, not OOC "OMGURGUNNADIELUL". I'll pull a weapon out, start shoving, have my character make death threats, the works. If your character can't use common sense and pick up blatant cues, then maybe they are going to get beat up, and maybe they are going to get murdered. Oh well for them. I'm not going to play 'Mr.Badass' either and pretend I only know the offending side of this whole machine. I've had characters put in fatal situations. Don't dumb-play your character, unless they are really dumb. Really try not to put your OOC curiosities into your characters behavior, as 'Curiosity kills the cat'. Luckily you've got 1 extra life, and if your murderers try to take that from you, I will rez my Belf Pally from post-Wrath and wear a pumpkin where my head used to be just to find and kill them. Evil
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
Touchseed, I agree with you on the IC warning signs instead of the OOC warning in LFG all the time, because it keeps IC away from OOC, which is, of course, what we are always aiming for. The problem is that without a formal character warning, some people will think that even though you are doing these things, you won't actually maim/kill them. Then, of course, they will probably complain about how you didn't warn them that their character could die.

I think we should keep giving OOC character warnings, but we do -NOT- all need to hear about it on a global LFG channel. If it's for multiple people, make a group and use partychat to warn them, or if it's only one person you can whisper, it doesn't matter. But we don't all need to hear about every single possible death or injury that every happens.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I should stop disappearing Lunaxy 1 9,589 08-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Ukarai
  Discussion: Killing Characters Xigo 24 3,995 06-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Kimaira
  [WIP] Service After Death: A Death Knight Guide SachikoMaeda 43 6,152 02-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda
  A Reminder On Death & Killing Dotsy 19 4,025 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ChocoboKnight7
  Killing of players In-game. Dreklas 3 890 10-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crackbone