The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Odd & Quirky Mannerisms
Have you got them?

I, for example, have the bad habit of starting my posts or sentences with "Well,". It's something I'm trying to train away.

I also hear I say "so to speak" a lot.

What about you?
I've picked up, uh. They call it "Americana", right? It's weird, because I'm not really so big on U.S. stuff, but I just love injecting stuff like y'all, holler, howdy into my sentences. I dunno why!

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Chu talkin bout? I dunt have any quirks.
I tend to pause in the middle of sentences or stutter out, which I'm sure irritates the people I talk to. It generally happens because I have a terribly difficult time keeping focused on one thing at a time. ADHD can be a pain in the buttocks when it comes to trying to tell stories or explain something! I also tend to avoid eye contact with folks when I'm talking to them, lowering my gaze. Though that generally happens when I'm talking, but when I'm listening I make eye contact.
Following Rini's trail, there...

Eye contact has always been something I struggled with. I tend to keep my eyes in all different kinds of places except for the other person's eyes, but not because I'm disinterested. I don't normally mean to look away, but sometimes I can't help it.

I also gesticulate. A lot. My hands come alive when I talk to people I don't know or when I'm ordering things in restaurants. Then I can start pointing awkwardly, leaning on the counter, waving my hands around, do weird hand charades all to myself as if to emphasize on what I'm saying. My family makes fun of me for this all the time. It's a nervous mannerism, for me. :P
I tend to argue against myself. My effort to look at things from many angles has caused me to discuss things openly to the air and counter my own thoughts with my own thoughts. This often leads me to make very neutral choices.
That and run on sentences.

[Image: c36335d73555714146b393bce05c4a74.jpg]

[Image: 1219597_c9f207c53e0656326cf233adf2569bb2.jpg]
I don't know if this is a mannerism, but bright sunlight makes me sneeze.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
On a more serious not I do tend to purposely misspell my words unconsciously. It annoys myself every now and then.

Oh, and if I go without sleep for a while, I tend to hold elaborate conversations with myself while I work. Just yesterday I started to talk to myself about how I was working and completely insane because of it.
(09-21-2013, 07:20 AM)c0rzilla Wrote: I don't know if this is a mannerism, but bright sunlight makes me sneeze.

A friend of mine has that problem. All I have to do is think about sneezing, or hear someone else sneeze, and I do too.

I say "umm" way too often, and "youknowwhatImean?"
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I got my eyes damaged when I was in seventh grade from staring into a bright magnesium flame-- not my fault, by the way-- and brightly light, sunlight especially, hurts my eyes and head. Because of that, I stay indoors a lot and avoid sunlight if I can. Walks are almost always taken when it's cloudy or raining. It doesn't help that my fiancee is outright allergic to sunlight. I think we're both becoming vampires.

I think bowties are cool.

I can't really think of any else, but I'm sure I have them. Lox might be able to point one or two out. Rensin too.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
Quote:I don't know if this is a mannerism, but bright sunlight makes me sneeze.

I have this! It's actually a disorder called photoptarmosis, and we don't really know what causes it.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
I have a problem where I tend to over-explain everything because I feel like the person I talk to doesn't understand. I do this to such an extent, that even if I do know that the other person understands, I still over-explain my point, then have to explain my over-explaining.

Loxmardin Wrote:I also gesticulate. A lot.
This. All of this.

And I also have what I like to call a 'nervous tick'. For some reason, it doesn't happen anywhere besides school or when I'm really anxious. I'll sit there, and even if it's in the middle of taking notes or lectures, I'll start to drum/bang/ "make a beat" on the school desk or whatever surface is available. I do this every day of school. I once tested to see if it was because of too much energy, and I stayed up so that I only got 2 1/2 hours of sleep.
I dragged myself into school utterly exhausted and had the lowest amount of energy you could imagine.
I drummed on the desk every class period, which is about every 45 minutes. I'm not entirely sure why I do it. Sometimes it's just a quick burst of knuckles on the wood, or it moves into a complex beat, but...yep, that happens.

I also carry around a pen all day instead of a pencil, and I've noticed that if I try to resist banging on the desks, I end up clicking my pen a lot, which I'm sure is annoying.

And I don't have any sort of ADHD strain to explain why I do this, so this sure is an odd mannerism.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Valicor reminded me of a few quirks I have, actually.

Lately I too have started drumming. On my thighs, on tables, whatever. Whenever I'm bored I do it and it's always the same four part beat. Du-du-du-DUN, du-du-du-DUN etc. My fiancee finds it quite annoying.

Also, I avoid manhole covers and if I accidentally step on one, I have to knock myself on the back three times. This is because one of my childhood friends told me that I get bad luck if I don't and it just stuck. Contrariwise, my fiancee had a childhood friend tell her that manhole covers bring good luck, so whenever we walk together hand in hand I try to avoid manhole covers while she tries to walk on them. I'm sure we look quite odd.

I often start humming just to make sure my voice is still there. It's a nervous tick I've had since I was a kid.
Spoiler:
Roxas65 Wrote:Bovel reminded me of a few quirks I have, actually.

I'm just gonna' assume you meant Valicor, even though I've got that camel icon as my avatar..
:3
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Crap, yeah. That confused me greatly. You can't just steal a man's avatar! That's the forum equivalence of identity theft.
Spoiler: