The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

On Good and Evil
The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
-Albert Einstein

Battle not with monsters
lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss
the abyss gazes into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Because the topic facinates me, and to prevent the thread hijacking I fear I may have started here, I thought I'd greate a new thread. It's a topic I on which I am endlessly facinated, and I like the dialouge that has already occured.

In the framework of CotH (and, perhaps, in life) what is good, and what is evil? Does anyone really view themsleves as evil, or are there just different objectives? What about demons? or the Scourge? Or for that matter, paladins, who seem to draw their powers from giant holy batteries rather then faith.
Simon - Ancient Vindicator
Sorel - I'm a spice trader. No, really, that's what I am! Ignore the Voidwalker behind the curtain...
Irasis - Mute undead warrior-priest
Tis all perception, a view Sersay holds strong to throughout her story. One persons evil is another persons good. Some characters/players will of corse have another outlook. OOCly my look on good and evil is gray as well, but not so much as Sersay the Troll. Then there are those chars who likely couldint care either way, so long as they accomplish there personal goals.

Edit: Oh yes... considerd evil on CoTH... It seems the all around default view is that the Warlocks are evil. Of corse this wouldint mean you HAVE to be an evil char if your playing a warlock. And its hardly limited to warlocks either. Evil wears many faces, and I beleve that most characters have there own personal wicked thoughts.
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
Quote:The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
-Albert Einstein

I'm so putting that in my Sig, if that's alright with you!
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Alphawolf1986 Wrote:
Quote:The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
-Albert Einstein

Pshaw, mines beter. :P
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
For character alignment, whenever I make or look at a character, I ask myself one rather general question to determine good-evil axis. Does he tend to put himself before others, or visa-versa? If he thinks about others before himself, he's probably good. If he thinks of himself before others, he's probably evil. If his first thought is for the fairness of everyone involved, including himself, he's probably neutral. That's fairly vague and generic, but it tends to work for me.

Anyway, alignment is a very grey area in Warcraft especially. Some classes or races that you expect to be good (Paladins and Draenei) have their examples of not-so-good individuals. I think, particularly for the alignment system that we pulled from D20, it doesn't really do the moral questions presented in the Warcraft universe any services. Keep in mind the Good-Evil and Law-Chaos system is pulled also from D&D, where it is more than just a roleplaying tool (character alignment in pen and paper is actually relevant for a number of spells and abilities.)

That said, I think Law-Chaos is the more interesting axis in some ways, as it is the one most people have trouble understanding.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Phew. Got that right Grak. Ever try to contemplate chaos when your sitting around with nothing to do? *Guilty* :oops:
Alphawolf1986 Wrote:
-Albert Einstein

Sure thing, Alphawolf...but it's not my place to give permisson. It's not my quote. :)
Sorel - I'm a spice trader. No, really, that's what I am! Ignore the Voidwalker behind the curtain...
I´m all for Nietzsche, at least to some extent. The more cruelty own shows, the more cruel you will become.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

I'm a sucker for Nietzsche, not because I buy into most of his philosophy (the concept of the ubermench and his focus on will to power just seems backwards to me) but because he gives us such interesting concepts. I based Sorel, in part, on Nietzsche's quote above and the ideas that go around that. I won't bore anyone with an indepth explination as to the other inspirations of the characters...RP will tell int he end, but it does make an interesting point.

If good can be evil (see the Scarlet crusade and, to a letter extend the Sin'do..er...ah...Blood Elves) why can't evil be good? Or to put it more succinctly, if the tools of good can be used for evil, why can't the tools for evil be used for good? Or is there not symmetry?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH. Harmonic 49 92,736 Yesterday, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Mathias
  Good News Everyone! Terant 29 13,581 07-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Grakor456
  A picture from the good old times! Bitlordman 14 6,350 02-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Aethon
  Good places to earn a gold coin? Gaztron1 8 4,488 10-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Werewolf
  I can't play good characters. Aphetoros 16 7,035 09-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Ormica