The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

On Warlocks.
nexusphere Wrote:How long exactly would a warlock have to use a soul stone after having created it?

The problem with asking IC questions about OOC abilities and spells is that there's only sometimes an overlap. If you think about it logically, the Warlock has to magically bind their soul to a shard stolen from another's soul. IC this would require some sort of passive effort to maintain, either slowly draining the warlock's energy (they have, after all, temporarily detached their soul from their physical self), or at least causing the soul stone to lose power over time, resurrecting them with less health for each minute the stone was bound to the spellcaster.

It's up for you to decide how long a soulstone could be maintained with your character, taking into account things like the strength of their character, their past training in the area of binding/extracting souls, and the condition they are in when the spell is cast. While there's no official lore for this kind of thing, I'd imagine it would affect your character quite seriously to bind their soul to an inanimate object.

But to give a short answer, I'd say at max about 60-90 minutes IC for a highly trained warlock, with plenty of background experience in the area of magic it involves.
Now, I'll have a few questions about Soul Shards:

One, how long would one of them last or would they last forever?

Two, could the powers of a Soul Shard become dormant?

Three, could they be implanted in someones body and cause dark magic to arise if they became active?

Four, can they be sensed?
Three and four are no. As for the rest, I haven't the foggiest.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Yup, thanks for that, Three was kind of the most important in the making of my new character. Just one of my ideas but it's fine that I can't do it, wont be hard to think of something else.
Bounty-Hunter Wrote:Yup, thanks for that, Three was kind of the most important in the making of my new character. Just one of my ideas but it's fine that I can't do it, wont be hard to think of something else.

It's really good you didn't, because we would have denied it... we've seen that sort of thing a lot, actually... with druids. Probably the only real thing that could "transform" you like that, is Saronite... and that just drives you insane as it slowly kills you.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Hmm... Here's one for you all...

Are Soul-Stones soul specific? I.E. Do you have to give up part of your soul in order to have it ressurect you? When you think about it if it was the soul of a dog then wouldn't you come back a dog?
Pretty sure it'd have to be specific. The soul of a dog could only bring back a dog, and so on. Otherwise, it just wouldn't work.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

How far does, "I used to be a mage" take you? I mean, for instance Astus was a mage before he became a warlock, isn't it only logical to keep some/most of the abilities he know as well?
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Aphetoros Wrote:How far does, "I used to be a mage" take you? I mean, for instance Astus was a mage before he became a warlock, isn't it only logical to keep some/most of the abilities he know as well?

The answer differs from person to person, but I suppose in order to keep things fair we should limit ourselves to using only those spells that your class would know had they been that class from the beginning. For instance, if you started out as a mage ICly but are now a warlock, you should really only use warlock-specific abilities, and vice-versa. This prevents multi-classing.

But again, the answer varies. Just try not to have the char be able to do more than anyone else, I suppose.
And to add it is not really -that- easy to just change. Becoming a mage in the first place takes years, and changing may not take as long but still would take some time. You've got to be real patient if you want to change from one class to another.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Well, here's something to consider. A number of years after the establishment of the magical city of Dalaran (I think -3000 DP), the people of the nation started running into problems with the concentrated magic essentially tearing holes through the known universe into the unknown, allowing demons and elementals to enter Azeroth willy-nilly. They eventually went to the Convocation of Silvermoon (the then-ruling body of Quel'Thalas), who were able to recite to them stories of quel'dorei's own sordid past -- specifically of the Sundering and the role that the kal'dorei played in that conflict.

As a result of what they learned, the Council of Tirisfal was formed to combat demons.

Now, in areas of strong arcane activity, it's really not difficult to bridge the planes and cause something to appear. Summoning a demon may not be difficult, but I assume that controlling one would be -- unless maybe you reach a pact with the demon (a very common theme throughout history and a fun one to explore! I do so with my own sin'dorei warlock)

Regarding the transition from mage to warlock, I would think that it's very common for mages to become warlocks, more so than any other type of person; remember, fel energy is really a perversion of arcane energy. It wouldn't be surprising to find that some had undertaken studies in fel energy in the all encompassing pursuit of knowledge -- though it should be very evident that they did so in absolute secrecy since Dalaran in particular is very adamant in the destruction of demons and those who consort with them.

I've always imagined that, after the first few incidents regarding demons occurred within Dalaran, the populace reacted extremely to forcibly (and probably permanently) stop those who tried to consort with them. Perhaps due to the fear documented at the time, people who were accused of dealing with demons but lacked proof were treated the same way. That's always been the opinion I've held, but there's no direct evidence of it; conclusion drawn from suggestive data.

I understand that balance issues come into play that prevent people from being too powerful, but you can still allow your mage training to influence what you do and why. Ideally, your character is still working with the arcane, which is something that a mage probably worked with and studied quite a bit. However, that magic has been corrupted (typically by demonic blood). So, in theory, your character is still using the same magic that he possessed as a mage; it's just been corrupted and twisted into fel magic.

Specifically, magic associated with the Fire and Arcane trees would be the easiest to transition since the same types of magic is portrayed by warlocks; they have spells like Incinerate and Conflagration that are fire-based in nature, while we can always say that the arcane magic (which is much more malleable) transitioned into Shadow magic. Frost would be a little more difficult to explain, but perhaps the addition of fel magic would allow your character to explore its more negative traits: intense cold, absence of life, its killing ability, whatever!

Bottom line: you probably possess the same basic magic that you did as a mage. It's just been perverted by the fel, whether from you physically taking demon blood (I believe it's usually imbibed) or from consorting with demons. The fear of being too powerful is probably unwarranted since the magic is essentially the same; you have all of your old abilities but they've been twisted. They would be unable to exist in the same way that they had before.

Random aside, I found the quote in this article to be a really interesting idea:
Quote:As demon cults continue to fester and grow in Desolace, Ashenvale Forest, and other remote corners, gruesome sacrifices are held to entice demons into giving their blood in trade. The cultists use their blood to enchant the weapons that they hope will bring about their masters' ultimate victory.
I think I'll be borrowing that idea for a character of mine!
Errr... how to say this, been seeing a few warlocks with melee weapons... and I don't mean magical looking ones, I mean, weapons that look to be meant for fighting, not enhancing certain magical abilities... /shrug
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste Bunny onto your signature.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

(\__/) o|= o|= o|=
\( ;..; )/ o|=
( __ ) o|= o|=

^ ^

angry ill-fated enemies who were

bunny unfortunate to be around when

paroxysmal attack occurred
dannyhero Wrote:Errr... how to say this, been seeing a few warlocks with melee weapons... and I don't mean magical looking ones, I mean, weapons that look to be meant for fighting, not enhancing certain magical abilities... /shrug

Hehe, yeah. Spellcasters are already wicked powerful and, being spellcasters, they wouldn't have spent any real time training in the use of a weapon. The exception being ( maybe ) a battlemage, but that's a prestige class and I don't know of anyone who has one or is in the process of making one.

I wouldn't have a problem with it in my RP fights since, realistically speaking, there's nothing stopping a mage from grabbing a sword hilt and swinging it for dear life, but I'd give them a very low damage output/chance to parry and high chance to miss.
And your are right Piroska, most warlocks started their magical carreer as a mage. But let's say that blood elf twins began studying magic at the same time, they both have the same aptitude and devotion. Belf one delve into warlockery early one, while the other began a century after the twin.

Measuring in warlockery, the one who have done it longer would be better at it and there would not be enough lifetime left for the second twin to come close to the twin.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
But isn't the basic source of fel energy always from the demons itself? Like you usually form a pact with demons and they enable you these things...
but don't go nerd rage at me I haven't got the foggiest how the lore goes in world of warcraft.
Waaagh!
-----------------------
[Image: portal_337792.gif]
Ho ho hooo, Mon ami, I am a french axe. It's my job to -cut- to the chase.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Warlocks turn? Rowgen 13 2,744 09-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Rowgen