The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

On Warlocks.
Aphetoros Wrote:Do we know why?

Mostly for the sake of balance. However, even in the d20, the way multi-classed Arcanists work usually ends up with them having a heavy focus on their path of specialization, and straying severely weakens them. Warlocks don't manipulate frost because that is outside of what Warlocks specialize in and not a basic ability common to all Arcanists. Higher manipulation of the elements and raw arcane is the domain of Mages, just as the use of demonic energies is the domain of Warlocks.

Why does someone who turns into a Necro forget his former abilities? Balance. An IC reason would simply be that his area of focus has changed, and in order to fully master his new talents, he needs to focus on them and not rely on his old ones.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Well, there -are- useful spells to keep in handy, even if you are taking a new focus into another school of arcane. I mean, why would a Necromancer not want to be able to teleport to locations, or summon up food and drinks?

I do believe -most- of the old IC spells should be cast away, but there are a handful of spells that would just doesn't make sense for someone to just give up.
McKnighter Wrote:Well, there -are- useful spells to keep in handy, even if you are taking a new focus into another school of arcane. I mean, why would a Necromancer not want to be able to teleport to locations, or summon up food and drinks?

I do believe -most- of the old IC spells should be cast away, but there are a handful of spells that would just doesn't make sense for someone to just give up.

I think that spells like the food summoning and teleportation are the *most* important to cast away, because they are the specific domain of Mages and one of the perks inherent to that specific specialization of Arcanist. Things that I think might even come close to being acceptable to keep would, for example, be certain Frost path spells, since that is an element Necromancers continue to learn to manipulate, much as Warlocks continue to manipulate fire.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Well... I mean you could all look at it from this point of view as well...

IE.) Say you are a warlock or an necromancer and you just so happened to have been a mage like you would've had to have been, right? Okay... now then... why would you even bother trying to use your old talents when you clearly decided to go into a new form of specialization, obviously because you considered it to be overall more powerful or useful in terms of skill. This is something that an individual would have to consider, I mean... warlocks don't just become warlocks for the silly factor, naw, they generally do it for power or some other intense reason... and I mean seriously, let's face it, Fel and Death magic are both incredibly powerful and potent in comparison to Arcane(Despite Raw Arcane being the best). It's safe to say that the "NORMAL" warlock or necromancer would just not care about their old talents as a mage. Just my opinion, of course, but it seems logical enough to me as an IC reason if anything.
Thane Gwydd: Mountain King Gwyddy
Warlord Kron: Horde Warlord
Battlecruiser Captain: Who called in the fleet?
Sir Baldwin: Knight of Stormwind
My Guide to Roleplaying Warfare!
I like how Grakor put it with, certain frost spells for Necromancers.
A mage focuses on the arcane, thus, the mage only knows arcane because he/she does not practice unholy or fel based magic, or does not practice it anymore.

A necromancer focuses on the unholy, thus, the necromancer only knows unholy because he/she does not practice arcane or fel based magic, or does not practice it anymore.

A warlock focuses on the fel, thus, the warlock only knows fel because he/she does not practice unholy or arcane based magic, or does not practice it anymore.

To dabble in two different arts means that you would be sacrificing your abilities in both of them if only to be more versatile. Studies of magic require -constant- study. It's not like school where you learn 'Oh, x-cubed is equal to y, and it will always equal that'. You must constantly refresh your memory, and refine the art. Let's use an example

When using a math equation you learned a year ago, and have not studied since, your mind works to figure out exactly how to do the equation. Chances are you need to spend quite a bit of time pondering the question before you're able to get the answer. Meanwhile, a year ago when you just learned it, you could probably figure it out or had the equation memorized to a point where you'd know the answer before you could snap your fingers.

It's the same way with spells. Over time, you will either outright forget a spell, or stumble to figure out exactly what the spell is. And with how magic works in WoW, you can't exactly fumble through a spell. You need to get it all right, or you won't get it at all. It is because of this that practitioners of magic focus on one field. They work to memorize -everything- they can.

Allow me to also note that the more advanced spells are much more complicated to cast. So while you might be able to cast a simple ice bolt or something like that, you would not be able to deep freeze someone if you are not well rehersed in the spell.

The way most mages counter this is to carry about a spellbook, which reminds them of the exact spell they must cast, and generally allows them to do it. However, the bigger one's spellbook, the longer it would take to find this spell they wish to cast. And thus, many mages keep their personal books as small as possible, so they can cast the proper spell when it counts.

So allow me to suggest that if a mage has a spellbook on hand, they would be able to cast...pretty much any spell within that book, as long as they have practiced before hand or have rehersed it. Because they're basically just using it to refresh their memories, not to learn and cast the spell on the spot. Because they will stumble if they try to 'wing it'.

So, here's the hierarchy of spells. They go from top to bottom in how many of them you should know.

Memorized spells.
Spellbook spells.
'Kinda know' spells.
Spells you can recognize, but cannot yourself cast.
Spells you do not know at all.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Knock Wrote:@Grakor: He couldn't discern one type of magic from another. All forms of magic, except for fel, would appear the same. My thinking is that due to the ritual blinding he's had, it is only fel energy that appears vividly to him. And as stated before, he can't tell warlocks apart from everyone else, unless they dabble in demonology.

On the note of demonology being separate from fel magic, I believe that they are one and the same. As in the Fel article on WowWiki, "The ultimate manifestation of the demonic arcane on Azeroth is fel (aka fel energy or fel magic)."

Was just reading this thread and I saw this, has this changed/new information found? Because I don't remember if it was Anski or Knock, but one of you guys said that spectral sight showed all forms of magic in different colors, iirc.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Anski said it. And I believe that the other magics just appear duller then the others.
I believe the way Anski RPs it is that Navren can 'sense' other types of magic, but wouldn't be able do discern them. They don't appear visually, though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Warlocks turn? Rowgen 13 2,744 09-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Rowgen