The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

On Warlocks.
Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, and if it was, I missed it. As I've recently rolled a Warlock, I've some questions regarding them so I don't make any mistakes while playing her. The WoWWiki gives little lore-wise information, and the information it -does- give doesn't show them in the way they're seen here.

So here we are:

1) How would one go about becoming a Warlock ICly? I read up on Kel'Thuzad's history, and it simply mentions that he wasn't very much liked for his insistence on studying Necromancy. Did the Kirin Tor have information on the Dark Arts? I'd imagine not since they work to hunt them down, but then how else could he (or any other Warlock) learn it?

2) When an Imp casts its Phase Shift spell, are they invisible ICly or simply transparent similar to the Shaman in Ghost Wolf form?

3) Would a Warlock suffer great pain if one were to heal her with Light/Nature energies, or only if the Light/Nature energies were used with the -intention- of causing pain to her? (Smite, for instance.)

4) When creating a Soul Shard ICly, must the Warlock provide a stone and trap the soul within it, or does the process of draining a soul result in the creation of its own stone like WoW mechanics suggest?

5) What kind of relationship (if any) do Warlocks have with the Old Gods? For instance, do/can Warlocks try to invoke any form of power from them or gain their favor? I read up on Old Gods and it says that they sometimes whisper to mortals (Warlock or not), ultimately driving them mad, but I was just curious how eager a Warlock would be to try to harness at least some of their power for their own.

6) What is the significance of their rituals? What I mean is, is there one way and -only- one way to... oh, I don't know... cast a curse or summon a demon? What I'm really trying to get as is: Could I create my own rituals based off the rituals of some very well-known Dark religions that exist/used to exist IRL?

That's all for now. More to come depending on the results.
Regarding the Old Gods and Warlocks:

The Old Gods are entirely opposed to the Burning Legion, seeing as the Legion wants everything on Azeroth dead. And that includes Yogg-Saron and his jovile buddies. The Old Gods have nothing to do with Fel magic, and therefore, it'd be impossible to invoke their power using said Fel magic. If there is an Old God linked to Fel Magic, I will be sure to shiv Blizzard if they don't give a viable reason as to why two mortal enemies would be allied. And I will NOT accept "Common enemies."

That's my 15 cents.

Take my Warlock for example: Benice has been driven mad by the whispers of Yogg-Saron, but that was only because he has been in contact with Saronite since the last Scourge invasion (World-wide one). Now, as far as I can tell, Saronite is the only way to actually become near-affiliated with an Old God, specifically Yogg-Saron. And even then, it's pretty rare.
Jeneal jumps into the water. "HAHAHAHAHA!" She turns into a seal.
I'm afraid I can only answer a few of these questions.

On imps and phase shift, they're visible but you can't touch them. Slightly transparent. You cannot attack them, but they can still die by natural means, I.E. drowning.

Warlocks would not suffer damage when healed with the light, unless they are Forsaken. The healing would not be as powerful if it was cast on, say, a peasant, but it wouldn't hurt them.

From what I've read, the Soul Shard is the material form of a part of someone's soul, so it appears.

As for the rituals, I do believe they have to be done in a precise manner. Such as a summoning circle. Any mistake could cost you your life or soul.
Crunchym8: Work tomorrow at a greenhouse, followed by a D&D session. Aw fel yeaahhh I can't be more hardcore.
Crunchym8: WE'RE PLANTING THE MUMS AND THE DAYLILLIES TOMORROW AND IF WE HAVE TIME SNAPDRAGONS
Crunchym8: I AM SO MANLY.
On rituals, every branch or coven has their own way of doing things, I would think. Some rituals absolutely -must- be learned the same way everywhere, but minor things such as curses, and learned spells such as circles can be done however you want. Of course, you'll make up a "standard" for your character anyway so it's not like anyone has written anything much down.
PiesOfGod Wrote:Regarding the Old Gods and Warlocks:

The Old Gods are entirely opposed to the Burning Legion, seeing as the Legion wants everything on Azeroth dead. And that includes Yogg-Saron and his jovile buddies. The Old Gods have nothing to do with Fel magic, and therefore, it'd be impossible to invoke their power using said Fel magic. If there is an Old God linked to Fel Magic, I will be sure to shiv Blizzard if they don't give a viable reason as to why two mortal enemies would be allied. And I will NOT accept "Common enemies."

That's my 15 cents.

Take my Warlock for example: Benice has been driven mad by the whispers of Yogg-Saron, but that was only because he has been in contact with Saronite since the last Scourge invasion (World-wide one). Now, as far as I can tell, Saronite is the only way to actually become near-affiliated with an Old God, specifically Yogg-Saron. And even then, it's pretty rare.

The WoWWiki is confusing me to death. It says that Warlock magic is "Fel-based (Shadow)," so is the magic they're using considered Fel or Shadow? Are they one and the same?

Going back to the Old Gods, since they are opposed to the Burning Legion and therefore unaffiliated with Fel energies, would they ever accept a worshiper who deals in Fel magic? Or rather, would someone who deals in Fel magic ever worship an Old God?

Regarding the Burning Legion, I know that there is an Orcish cult of Warlocks that's in league with them (Burning Blade), so is it safe to say all Warlocks (as they are defined on CoTH) work for a similar end?

Monolith Wrote:I'm afraid I can only answer a few of these questions.

On imps and phase shift, they're visible but you can't touch them. Slightly transparent. You cannot attack them, but they can still die by natural means, I.E. drowning.

Warlocks would not suffer damage when healed with the light, unless they are Forsaken. The healing would not be as powerful if it was cast on, say, a peasant, but it wouldn't hurt them.

From what I've read, the Soul Shard is the material form of a part of someone's soul, so it appears.

As for the rituals, I do believe they have to be done in a precise manner. Such as a summoning circle. Any mistake could cost you your life or soul.

When you say Warlocks wouldn't suffer damage when healed by the Light or Nature energy but wouldn't be healed as much as if it were done on an ordinary individual, would the difference be so noticeable that it would arouse suspicion of the Warlock's identity in the healer?
From what I remember, and what I've been told by a rabble of players on here before, when consecration is cast it can hurt -anyone- that gets into it's area.

I, to this day, think that is silly unless you are undead, but if that is the case I'll keep my opinions to myself, heh.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

nexusphere Wrote:When you say Warlocks wouldn't suffer damage when healed by the Light or Nature energy but wouldn't be healed as much as if it were done on an ordinary individual, would the difference be so noticeable that it would arouse suspicion of the Warlock's identity in the healer?

I would think not, every persons body is different to some degree, and like modern medicine in our world not everything can treat or cure someone the same.

nexusphere Wrote:The WoWWiki is confusing me to death. It says that Warlock magic is "Fel-based (Shadow)," so is the magic they're using considered Fel or Shadow? Are they one and the same?

No, they are indeed different, but tend to work hand in hand. Atleast...that is what I thought.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
The way I look at Fel magic is.. that it's a much more powerful, more potent, and -much- more addictive source of magic than Shadow, but they're the same premise of.. They'll corrupt, evil magics and will slowly(or quickly, depending on how much it is used) turn a person evil, even if they began studying with pure intentions. And I treat Fel magic as very difficult to use and would require much training and focus, drain someone of energy so they can't just use it one right after another, but it's a much more euphoric feeling and.. yeah. Something along those lines.
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Shadow Magic is basically the Fel version of divine magic. There's three branches of magic. They have inherit alignments.

Evil:
Fel
Shadow

Neutral:
Arcane

Good:
Nature
Light
Crunchym8: Work tomorrow at a greenhouse, followed by a D&D session. Aw fel yeaahhh I can't be more hardcore.
Crunchym8: WE'RE PLANTING THE MUMS AND THE DAYLILLIES TOMORROW AND IF WE HAVE TIME SNAPDRAGONS
Crunchym8: I AM SO MANLY.
Alrighty, I'm going to try to elaborate on all your questions.

1) Kel'Thuzad is considered to be a pioneer in the field of Necromancy and the grandfather of all current necromancers. If you are a Forsaken necromancer then chances are at one point you learned in Scholomance, however, Kel'Thuzad has no relation to warlockery. The Kirin Tor itself would hold very little public information on demonology or fel magic, however it would likely contain rudimentary books on the topic.

Thus, to learn how to become a warlock there are a few options. The first of which being born to a family that was already invested in the Coven, which would provide you an easy way into their network, another being experimentation on your own, granted that could only get you so far in the field before you would seriously need to consider finding help. And the third is perhaps just pure luck that by some means you manage to get in contact with the Coven and they take you in for training.

2) When an imp casts phase shift, he is literally no longer existant on this plane of existance, so while his body is not present, an image of him remains. He is unable to interact with the real world at all until he decides to become active again. He wont drown, he wont block anything, he wont be able to push. He could hide inside walls, hes pretty much a ghost. Once he actively decides to return to this world however, he better not be stuck in between a wall. :P

3) Warlocks do not subsist of necromantic energy (which I refer to as negative energy) and thus holy magic would have no real difference in its' effect. Healing spells only damage beings that are heavily supported by negative energy. Ei. Undead, Undead Constructs, and to a far lesser extent, high level necromancers.

4) This is really open to opinion, I personally believe that the shard is created when the soul is ripped out.

5) Warlock magic is related to the Burning Legion, but it does not come from any source beyond ley lines that are used to channel it. They harness a varient of arcane energy just like all other types of mages.

6) Magic is an experimentation art, thus yes, you can combine sigils, runes, signs, reagents, in any combination you like to produce a new effect. This new effect also might kill you. Thus it's wise to stick to what is known or at least be very careful in creating new variations. There is only one way to produce the spells that exist in game, and so to duplicate their effect you would need to follow their ritual. However sometimes you can use a different ritual to cause a similar effect or the same effect with a different means.
[Image: Signature.png]
A few things I want to comment on, as someone who did a lot of research on Warlocks and RPed one for a few years on retail:

Warlocking it up has no difference on whether you're healed or not. Technically, even demons can get healed by most forms of healing, so unless your Warlock is a Forsaken there shouldn't be any difference here.

Quote:Regarding the Burning Legion, I know that there is an Orcish cult of Warlocks that's in league with them (Burning Blade), so is it safe to say all Warlocks (as they are defined on CoTH) work for a similar end?

PCs cannot be allowed to join major villain groups. As the Burning/Searing Blade counts as one for the Horde, obviously not. That said, Warlock =/= Evil in all cases, and while many are corrupted some can resist the corruption of their craft for an extended period.

That said, something a lot of people confuse...fel-based means the type of magic they cast, not the source. Warlocks are a type of arcanist, and like Mages and Necromancers they all draw their power from the same source, they just release that energy in different ways. It's corruptive power is the same as that Mages suffer, just a bit stronger due to the nature of what they're dealing with.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Going off Vrahn's answer -

Vrahn Wrote:3) Warlocks do not subsist of necromantic energy (which I refer to as negative energy) and thus holy magic would have no real difference in its' effect. Healing spells only damage beings that are heavily supported by negative energy. Ei. Undead, Undead Constructs, and to a far lesser extent, high level necromancers.

However, isn't it the same case for Demons? They subsist of the Fel, which, being simply the "purest" form of Arcane, isn't directly antagonistic to Holy spells, and yet still they seem to be susceptible to damage from them (case in point being how Paladins and Holy Priests seem to smite demons just as well as they smite undead). I personally think this might extend to higher-level warlocks as well, when the physiological effects of Fel corruption really start to kick in.

What I'm getting at is how deep into warlockry the character is and how well they're regulating the corruption that comes with it might effect how they recieve healing, but only extremely powerful or reckless ones. Your usual warlock would experience no discernable decrease in the mending recieved. Then again, that's just my theory, and as I have a tendency to spout gibberish in these debates, you'd better take it with a pinch of salt. >_>
Warlocks will never subsist of Fel energy, whereas necromancers will inevitably become undead themselves, warlocks do not become demons. Thus yes you can smite a demon with higher effectiveness because he fel energy is so heavily linked to his core, but a warlock, even a heavily corrupted one, is not supported by fel energy, and thus not subject to any different treatment.
[Image: Signature.png]
Cressy Wrote:No, they are indeed different, but tend to work hand in hand. Atleast...that is what I thought.
Piken Wrote:The way I look at Fel magic is.. that it's a much more powerful, more potent, and -much- more addictive source of magic than Shadow, but they're the same premise of.. They'll corrupt, evil magics and will slowly(or quickly, depending on how much it is used) turn a person evil, even if they began studying with pure intentions. And I treat Fel magic as very difficult to use and would require much training and focus, drain someone of energy so they can't just use it one right after another, but it's a much more euphoric feeling and.. yeah. Something along those lines.

Good, good... Now, do/can Warlocks use both Shadow and Fel or purely Shadow?

Monolith Wrote:Shadow Magic is basically the Fel version of divine magic. There's three branches of magic. They have inherit alignments.

Evil:
Fel
Shadow

Neutral:
Arcane

Good:
Nature
Light

This actually brings up something I was thinking about during class. Do Warlocks (most of whom are former mages) gradually lose their ability to cast spells from the Arcane/Fire/Frost schools of magic, or is that simply a WoW game mechanic? True, Warlock magics are generally far more powerful than the other schools (which makes sense considering most if not all Warlocks became Warlocks to gain greater power), but there is no denying the usefulness of some spells from the other branches. (Invisibility, Blink, Portals, etc)

Oh, and while I'm on -that- topic, is it possible at all for a Warlock to hide among the ranks of the Kirin Tor? Do Mages have a means of "sensing" that sort of thing?

Vrahn Wrote:Alrighty, I'm going to try to elaborate on all your questions.

1) Kel'Thuzad is considered to be a pioneer in the field of Necromancy and the grandfather of all current necromancers. If you are a Forsaken necromancer then chances are at one point you learned in Scholomance, however, Kel'Thuzad has no relation to warlockery. The Kirin Tor itself would hold very little public information on demonology or fel magic, however it would likely contain rudimentary books on the topic.

Thus, to learn how to become a warlock there are a few options. The first of which being born to a family that was already invested in the Coven, which would provide you an easy way into their network, another being experimentation on your own, granted that could only get you so far in the field before you would seriously need to consider finding help. And the third is perhaps just pure luck that by some means you manage to get in contact with the Coven and they take you in for training.

Ah, it looks like I was confusing Warlock with Necromancer. My mistake. <.<

Grakor456 Wrote:That said, something a lot of people confuse...fel-based means the type of magic they cast, not the source. Warlocks are a type of arcanist, and like Mages and Necromancers they all draw their power from the same source, they just release that energy in different ways. It's corruptive power is the same as that Mages suffer, just a bit stronger due to the nature of what they're dealing with.

I should've remembered that from WC3. >.<

Yeah, that must be true. At least twice in the game Arthas and his men used powerful magical locations to bring back Kel'Thuzad and then again for Archimonde.

Sorry for all the questions, guys. XD
I do believe they can use both, it just requires that the Warlock be much more trained and skilled. My warlock is.. around 63 or so, after training for.. a good few decades, and he's able to throw a fel-fire ball(Chaos Bolt). I could be wrong with this and all.. But that's how I've always seen it.
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Warlocks turn? Rowgen 13 2,744 09-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Rowgen