The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Overdoing an accent?
I remember roleplaying a troll and /saying with "[Zandali] Everything's pretty fine." I think it was on this server as well, with us having that 'Retake Echo Isles' event. In the meantime, I usually curse with my characters in their natives.

Accents spring up from foreign races using [Common], mostly. It's understandable but yeah, overdoing it sounds stupid. If you have such a bad accent, better use your native language instead.

With that said, I dunno. Is [Common] universal or do we have Common for the Alliance and Orcish for the Horde? I mean even way back before Warcraft 2 and 3 everyone was using Common.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
(09-23-2013, 06:48 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: Some people complain when characters are unintelligible in reading, but what about when they're supposed to be?

Speaking of.

@Jonoth

/stare

But yeah. I suppose it depends, but I enjoy accents. And I much prefer it when people ask IC for my character to restate things, rather than going "I don't understand you >.>" in party chat or something. Ask IC if you don't understand! What's the point of doing the accent if you're just going to say it plainly in party chat?

Edit: Oops. You already replied, Jonoth. Whoops!
(09-23-2013, 05:13 PM)Nymus Wrote: "Well, I ain' had no Sithy try'an'ta'wi'me."

"Well, I ain't had no Sithy (Sith?) try and talk with me."

(09-24-2013, 02:28 AM)Valicor Wrote: "Wha' ju whan frum Jae? Jae ain'gon' 'elp ju' witcha' prollums, soh keep'et goin' ohn"

"What do you want from Jae? Jae ain't gonna help you with your problems, so keep it going on."

In both of these examples, although thickly accented, the speech is still readily intelligible (to me, anyway). On a purely pragmatic level I feel that if a character's accent or jargon is still tame enough to be readily understood, then the speech simply serves its intended purpose (i.e. communication) in a flavorful manner, and that's part of roleplaying.

Even if an accent is comically overblown--like the Draenei's accent someone mentioned above--I for one won't fuss (though I might laugh and roll my eyes a lot). If she wants to make a fool out of herself, I'll treat her like a fool, since that's her character. It's not my position to judge what characters should or shouldn't say or do, but I will respond accordingly whatever they do.

I guess I'm just particularly liberal about this sort of thing, though, as I glance through what other people have said.

Needs moar slopes imo
Needs moar archaeology imo
(09-24-2013, 03:20 AM)Diethe Wrote: I remember roleplaying a troll and /saying with "[Zandali] Everything's pretty fine." I think it was on this server as well, with us having that 'Retake Echo Isles' event. In the meantime, I usually curse with my characters in their natives.

Accents spring up from foreign races using [Common], mostly. It's understandable but yeah, overdoing it sounds stupid. If you have such a bad accent, better use your native language instead.

With that said, I dunno. Is [Common] universal or do we have Common for the Alliance and Orcish for the Horde? I mean even way back before Warcraft 2 and 3 everyone was using Common.

Well the Azeroth Common tongue was used in the EK for [X] amount of years, being the native language of the Humans. Other races, like dwarves, gnomes, goblins, and High Elves picked it up as a universal trading language.

I believe the Common for Draenor was just Orcish. In fact, I would imagine that most, if not all, Draenei, Ogres, Arakkoa, and other assorted Outland Races know Orcish as it is the most common language, or was, on Draenor. Then when Warcraft 1 hit, I assume the Orcs learned Common, at least a few, in order to interrogate prisoners, read human maps, and other assorted business in order to fully conquer the world by the time Warcraft 2 started.

Then one might -also- argue that Darnassian was a somewhat common language in Kalimdor, at least for the native races there (Furbolg, Tauren, Giants, maybe centaur and quillboar, and any intelligent Owlbeasts/Moonkin). It just makes sense as the Night Elves were as widespread along Kalimdor as the Humans were along the EK.

Of course, due to the populations using it, one might argue Zandali (Troll) to be a common language too. However, due to the way it was formed, you'd need a set of tusks in your mouth to be understood. Basically you'd come off like a troll speaking Common, ya know?

In Essence, Orcish is just as common as Common is, as well as Darnassian and Zandali. I would assume, though, that Common would become the most used on Azeroth because Humans reign control over most of the world through Diplomacy and that the Orcs would know it for the same reasons as they would have learned it in Warcraft 1-2-3.
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

(09-24-2013, 07:37 AM)Werewolf Wrote:
(09-23-2013, 05:13 PM)Nymus Wrote: "Well, I ain' had no Sithy try'an'ta'wi'me."

"Well, I ain't had no Sithy (Sith?) try and talk with me."

(09-24-2013, 02:28 AM)Valicor Wrote: "Wha' ju whan frum Jae? Jae ain'gon' 'elp ju' witcha' prollums, soh keep'et goin' ohn"

"What do you want from Jae? Jae ain't gonna help you with your problems, so keep it going on."

In both of these examples, although thickly accented, the speech is still readily intelligible (to me, anyway). On a purely pragmatic level I feel that if a character's accent or jargon is still tame enough to be readily understood, then the speech simply serves its intended purpose (i.e. communication) in a flavorful manner, and that's part of roleplaying.

Even if an accent is comically overblown--like the Draenei's accent someone mentioned above--I for one won't fuss (though I might laugh and roll my eyes a lot). If she wants to make a fool out of herself, I'll treat her like a fool, since that's her character. It's not my position to judge what characters should or shouldn't say or do, but I will respond accordingly whatever they do.

I guess I'm just particularly liberal about this sort of thing, though, as I glance through what other people have said.

It indeed was a Sith.

The part with the Draenei... personally, it felt like it was the cherry on the crap sundae. Shamans are supposed to be at least somewhat serious. This one was on a permanent cocaine high. Not to mention she also had super powers over the elements, she'd often walk into a tavern with an earth or fire elemental spawned. And use it seriously. Call it Pebbles or something. Something a real shaman (or even, a real RPer) wouldn't do.

My god, I've become an old man. So cantankerous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Ya'll need to read Redwall.

Those... God damn hares.

Quote:Buxton: Ho, save the choild, 'urry up and scoff quick now, lest the hinfant be drownded in yon pudden.
Tarquin Woodsorrel: Bally unthinkable, poor little blighter bein' drowned in a plate of pudden. Do not worry, young sire, help is at spoon. I'll save you. Gromff!
-Mariel of Redwall; Book 1, chap. 11, page 93 (Riverlily Wavetail)

Quote:The Wild King MacPhearsome to Dumble: Och, these vittles are braw eatin', Dumble. Ha'ye nae mair o'those wee veggible pasties the guid hedgepid lady made?
Drooney to Dumble: "Bohurr, you'm heagle do be a-talking funny loik. Oi carn't unnerstan' a wurd 'ee be sayen, Dumble.
-Salamandastron (Mosspaw the Hare)

Quote:Gerul: There's nothin' as dark as the dark, me ould mother used t'say.
Clecky: Really? Well, that was jolly observant of her, wot? I'll wager she used to go on about how flippin' light the day was.
-Pearls of Lutra; Chapter 5 (Mariel of Mossflower Woods)

Quote:Clecky: Of course I'm a hare, what'd you think I was, a long-legged tadpole out for a bloomin' walk?
-Pearls of Lutra, Chapter 5 (Mariel of Mossflower Woods)
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(09-24-2013, 08:20 AM)Xigo Wrote: Ya'll need to read Redwall.

Those... God damn hares.

Quote:Buxton: Ho, save the choild, 'urry up and scoff quick now, lest the hinfant be drownded in yon pudden.
Tarquin Woodsorrel: Bally unthinkable, poor little blighter bein' drowned in a plate of pudden. Do not worry, young sire, help is at spoon. I'll save you. Gromff!

Mark Twain. ANYTHING by Mark Twain. All of his literature is littered with old style accents of the time, and it can be hard to read.

Grapes of Wrath, of Mice and Men. There's so many classic works of literature that include accents, that are just plain hard to read, but are -classic works of literature-.

Just how it works, sometimes stuff is hard to understand, doesn't mean it's bad. ...Same goes for character accents, in my opinion. As long as the accent makes sense.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Those... God damn hares.

Quote:The Wild King MacPhearsome to Dumble: Och, these vittles are braw eatin', Dumble. Ha'ye nae mair o'those wee veggible pasties the guid hedgepid lady made?
Drooney to Dumble: "Bohurr, you'm heagle do be a-talking funny loik. Oi carn't unnerstan' a wurd 'ee be sayen, Dumble.
-Salamandastron (Mosspaw the Hare)

Oh, save the child, hurry up and eat quick now, lest the infant be drowned in your pudding.

Very unthinkable, poor little blister being drowned in a plate of pudding. Don't worry young sire, help is at spoon (lol I get it) I'll save you.

Ooh, this food is good eating. Have you never ? Of those little vegetable pasties the ? head lady made?

Cba to do the rest.

(09-24-2013, 08:24 AM)Harmonic Wrote:

Those... God damn hares.

Mark Twain. ANYTHING by Mark Twain. All of his literature is littered with old style accents of the time, and it can be hard to read.

Grapes of Wrath, of Mice and Men. There's so many classic works of literature that include accents, that are just plain hard to read, but are -classic works of literature-.

Just how it works, sometimes stuff is hard to understand, doesn't mean it's bad. ...Same goes for character accents, in my opinion. As long as the accent makes sense.

MARK

FRICKIN

TWAIN

I had to write a paper on Huck's moral development. :(

brb making worgen who talk like a hare
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.

Those... God damn hares.

Quote:Gerul: There's nothin' as dark as the dark, me ould mother used t'say.
Clecky: Really? Well, that was jolly observant of her, wot? I'll wager she used to go on about how flippin' light the day was.
-Pearls of Lutra; Chapter 5 (Mariel of Mossflower Woods)

Quote:Clecky: Of course I'm a hare, what'd you think I was, a long-legged tadpole out for a bloomin' walk?
-Pearls of Lutra, Chapter 5 (Mariel of Mossflower Woods)

Don't forget good ol' Figgs.

Quote:Figgs (imitating Hon Rosie): Lack a day, no tucker, tucker's gone, lack a day!....Lack a day, eat miz Rosie, Lack a day!
-The Bellmaker, Book 3, Ch. 28, p. 299 (Foremole)

Now them are some accents hard to understand. I may just make a character to talk like em.
(09-24-2013, 08:26 AM)Xigo Wrote: brb making worgen who talk like a hare

Do it, Xigo

Do it and feel the rage of all of my being

Worgen. Carries a rapier, has his hair in a pony-tail, and a bow. Wears frilly outfits. Talks like he's in shakespear.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(09-24-2013, 08:26 AM)Xigo Wrote: brb making worgen who talk like a hare

Wot wot?
Draenei have always sounded a little different from Russian to me. Something Latin-related possibly.
Hand me some feedback!
Spoiler:
Quote:I don’t want you to protest,
I don’t want you to riot,
I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write.
I don’t know what to do about the depression and
the inflation and the crime in the Streets.
All I know is that first, you’ve got to get mad.

You’ve got to say:
I’m a Human being God damn it !
*MY LIFE HAS VALUE!*
I like accents, I just don't like spelling them phonetically. To me, if I get the character's dialect and tone right, people will just read them with the accent. I don't need apostrophes or spelled-out phonetic quirks to demonstrate that, and if I do use them, I almost feel like I'm forcing the accent down their throats.

My twopence.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zandalar's lack of Troll accent? Flammeschmieden 9 1,797 10-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Last Post: SpiralLateralus