The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Overdone Character Concepts
If I may add to the list...

Belf Paladin! A.K.A. Blood Knight

This particular Race/class combo is the product of Blizzards attempt to further seperate the Shaman class from it's counterpart the Paladin class. Though having enough lore behind it to function, these kinds of characters are extremly difficult, if not impossible for most role players to portray.

Massive 'Flip-flopping' has been done on the Blood Knight's part, going from High Elf (Probably worshiped the light) to Blood Elf (Fel energy sucking) to Blood Knight (Stealing the powers of the light) to New Blood Knight (Earning redemption and being given their light based power). These Paladins are very conflicted and even possibly still corrupt. Not to mention that as a whole the Blood Elf race is addicted to mana and has the physical side effects to show their use of Fel magic (Glowing green eyes), something your holy weilder of the light must deal with!

I'm not saying that you should avoid rolling a Belf Paladin. On the contrary, when I feel I can do it myself, I may make one. Should you chose to portray one though, I suggest extreme caution! These kinds of Characters are not for people to play on their first try! Positively the WORST RACE-CLASS COMBO TO BE MARY SUES.... THE CHARACTER WILL JUST BLOW....

On that note, Mary Sues stink -period-! :D

If I think of another one I will rant here!
[Image: walrus_family_affair-2.gif]
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol
I've seen a lot of Blood Elves, especially paladins, and there are really two kinds of Blood Knights, it seems.

The more commonly used one is what Blizzard really had in mind, which is a condescending, evil, magic-sucking jerk who abuses his power and completely disregards the teachings of the Light. (This type is EXTREMELY overdone)

The NEW kind of Blood Knight, which isn't really new because it started with patch 2.4 a while back, is the kind that's a more traditional paladin, a real follower of the Light. Blizzard completely neglected to show this except for one scene in Shattrath where Lady Liadrin pledges the Blood Knights to A'dal and the Shattered Sun Offensive, so they became good. The other problem with this lore for all Blood Elves is that by this time, the Sunwell was recreated partially using energy from a Naaru, so they have a giant well of Light to draw from.

Unfortunately our good friends at Blizzard Damn bastards... neglected to tell us how the Blood Elves are doing now that they have the Sunwell back, so it's kind of hard to RP around that sometimes, especially when one person says the Sunwell is gone and the other says they have it.
Agh, I always thought of my Krodak as unique. I mean, yes, he was "stoopid", but he had a sense of humour and he could understand most things, though he still had alot to learn.

I'm sorry if someone have been irritated on the way I have played him. I didn't realize, since I thought I was (atleast) among the first, being active since I first started here in August.

Ah well. If someone who RPed with Krodak could give me a little feedback in a PM or so, so that I may know how the situation is?
?? I liked Krodak. Well, I haven't RPed with him since the last server. He seemed like that Forrest Gump brand of smart. He was below average, but had something going on even the smartest people still search for. And I know that wasn't a PM, but I'm lazy and I figure nothing wrong with making a public compliment.

With BE Paladins, I agree and disagree they're overdone; but then I don't RP on retail or other RP servers so I've yet to see enough to make a statement.

I do think Blizz's flip-floppy hastily convenient NAO THYAR GUD lore slapping isn't making it easier on them. I kind of hate that they're sort of pure now; I wanted to remake my cracked-out haughty Blood Knight.
˜★Sketch Blog
TwilightDisciple Wrote:?? I liked Krodak. Well, I haven't RPed with him since the last server. He seemed like that Forrest Gump brand of smart. He was below average, but had something going on even the smartest people still search for. And I know that wasn't a PM, but I'm lazy and I figure nothing wrong with making a public compliment.

Ah, thanks, that's kinda comforting. :P
To be clear--if something is done well, it doesn't feel overdone. This isn't the place to point fingers and say, "Well, because of this, this, and this, this post doesn't apply to me!" or "This certain character totally fits the overdone description!" It's more of a public service announcement, something to think on. It doesn't mean everyone who is playing a character that is described here should stop, it just means they should think about how they're doing it and how logical it is. And it doesn't mean that you cannot create a new character that fits the descriptions here, it just means that you may be met with some resistance from other players unless you can really shine in the role.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
Come to think of it, I think talking about what's overdone sometimes does slightly more harm than good if this statement isn't included:

nothing is original- only the approach is.

Now, the approach can be overdone; but considering people have different takes on things, that's hard to wag fingers at. But, some approaches are better than others. 8)
˜★Sketch Blog
Qaza Wrote:To be clear--if something is done well, it doesn't feel overdone. This isn't the place to point fingers and say, "Well, because of this, this, and this, this post doesn't apply to me!" or "This certain character totally fits the overdone description!" It's more of a public service announcement,...

Eheheh... My previous post may... have been... Un-welcome? Eheh...
*Hides from Qaza*
Sorry and thank you for your clarifications! :D
[Image: walrus_family_affair-2.gif]
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Character ideas that don't play by CotH character creation rules Dae 26 10,334 01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Dae
  IC OOC L (In-Character Out-Of-Character Location) Judgernaut 15 3,460 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Judgernaut
  Character Concepts in need of Clarification Brutalskars 2 851 03-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Brutalskars