The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

[PENDING REWRITE] The Nature People - A Guide to Druids and Druidism
Out! Out, I say!

Spoiler:
The Nature People

A Guide to Druids and Druidism

Introduction

So, why a Druid guide? Because I love Druids, you dummies. Because I have seen people asking about Druid stuff in profiles and whatnot. And we don't really have a real Druid guide. We do have an amazing guide to druidic totems, but there's more to Druids than that. I'll just try to cover most of the stuff without omnomnomnoming too much space.

Basics and Beliefs

Let's start with the basics. Druids are the people who are perhaps as close to nature as possible. They have learned to respect the wilds and the animals that inhabit them. Druids draw their power directly from nature – and like nature, they are unpredictable. A Druid can be peaceful, tranquil and calm. But he can also be vicious, feral and merciless. Again, they reflect nature itself.

Now, this is probably clear, but I thought I'd put it in here anyway. Just to avoid misunderstandings and whatnot. Druids revere nature and serve it. They will not harm it, they will not defile it. They shun the people who do. Druids strive to protect the natural world from all threats, believing that the true harmony lies in nature and the life it creates.

There are two slightly different types of Druidism, but I'll talk more about that a little later.

The Races

Now, what races have Druids among their ranks? I think it is common (and obvious) knowledge that those are Night Elves and Tauren. Or Kal'dorei and Shu'halo, whatever you want to call them. There have been hints about High/Blood Elven or Human Druids, but if I recall correctly, it is still unconfirmed speculation. So, I guess we should stick to the things we know for sure. Now, I mentioned that there are different types of Druidism. Well, one of them is more common among Night Elves and the other one – among Tauren. So, let's get to that.

Types - Balance and Aminism

There are two types of Druidism. Or versions. Or what-have-you. Anyway, the name isn't important. They differ slightly, but still differ.

Night Elves usually use the ‘traditional' Druidism. Mostly, they believe in the natural balance and strive to protect it. Yes, balance – that is exactly what the Kal'dorei ‘version' of Druidism is based on. It might seem like a complicated system. They believe that everything must be even and equal – if it's not, nature will be disturbed and who knows what could happen.

Tauren relate Druidism to Aminism and Shamanism. Yes, they believe in the balance too, but not as much. They focus on the belief that everything has a spirit, and through Druidism they commune with them spirits – commune, ask for favours, perhaps bend, serve and befriend. They believe that everything – a tree, a leaf, et cetera – has a spirit, and through that spirit they can call the natural forces.

Or something like that.

Becoming a Druid

So, how does one become a Druid? It's quite of a difficult process, really. While you can learn to at least mingle with the Arcane in a few years, you need a lot more time to reach the same level with Druidism. The nature stuff is a difficult art and one must be truly dedicated to learning it.

So, how does this work? First things first, the person has to be really determined and dedicated – just like when learning any other art. Then, you need a master. Learning Druidism would be extremely hard without an experienced master. Also, keep in mind that the master will only teach you the basic philosophy/theories of the Druids. Having finished the boring theory studies, the Druid must go into The Emerald Dream, where other Druids sleep, nature blossoms, animal spirits roam every corner and green dragons watch over the land from above. The Emerald Dream is the home of the Druids and only there will they learn to truly master the nature energies. Now, while the Azeroth part of the studies might take a few years give or take, the part in the Emerald Dream lasts for millenniums. Now, the stuff just said is applicable to Night Elves, but not to Tauren. Well, not all of it. Tauren aren't as long-lived as Night Elves and they don't have thousands and thousands of years to spend in the Dream doing stuff. Usually Tauren learn Druidism through honouring and communing with various spirits on Azeroth. The lore is contradicting itself when it comes to Tauren and Druidism, so it's pretty hard to say anything fo' sure.

Shapeshifting

Now, the part you've all been waiting for... Shapeshifting! Perhaps one of the more interested things the Druids have. The Druids are -so- tied to nature and the animals that they can actually -turn- into some of them. Night Elves learn to shapeshift in the Dream. They work with the great spirits in there and eventually master the art. However, it might take hundreds if not thousands of years of years to truly master a form. Shapeshifting is a very difficult act and a Druid must take lots of things into consideration when doing it – like effort and perhaps consequences.

Tauren tend to learn shapeshifting through honouring and communing with the spirits on Azeroth (Yes, again.) – animal spirits, more specifically. If they spend enough time trying, studying the spirit and praising it, they are rewarded.

Totems and Animal Forms

Now, with shapeshifting covered, let's have a look at the actual animal forms. Prior to the Third War, Night Elven Druids used to follow a certain totem, with only a few exceptions being the rare Druids of the Wild. Therefore, ‘orders' were created, if you will. Druids of the Talon followed the Storm Crow totem, Druids of the Claw served the legendary bear twins Ursoc and Ursol, Druids of the Fang mastered the forms of snakes, scorpions and other poisonous beasts, Aquatic Druids learned to live underwater by turning into Sea Lions, Squids, et cetera. There were also the legendary Druids of the Antler – according to the myths, they're a close circle of Malorne's followers, choosing to take the form of a stag. However, these little Druids are mangled and twangled with rumours, no actual facts are known. The in-game Cat and Travel (cheetah, tiger, what-have-you) forms are left for the Druids of the Wild, who follow multiple totems and can turn into different animals.

The Savagekin

Another one of ‘em interesting aspects of Druidism – the Savagekin. Druids cannot stay shapeshifted forever and experience no side effects, oh no. The longer they stay in animal form, the more feral their mind becomes. The Druid starts to lose himself and think like a beast. They find it difficult to preserve their sanity.

However, the Savagekin are somewhat of an exception. The Savagekin are Druids who dedicated themselves to living in an animal form in exchange for more power. They rarely return to their ‘human' forms. However, as feral as they may be, they learn to preserve bits of logical thinking.

This could be an interesting story development idea for your Druid character. However, keep in mind that the Savagekin class is prestige and therefore, has lots of rules and regulations (which are good!) attached to it.

The Natural Balance

Now, let's talk about the dreaded natural balance. Well, it's not really that dreaded when you look into it. As it was said before, the Night Elven version of Druidism is mostly based on preserving the balance. So, let's get to it.

Do not let yourself be fooled. Druids can kill and will kill if it is necessary. Thinning the animal population is a common thing for ‘em Druids. Now, examples. Let's say imbalance was created in Ashenvale. The bears killed too many squirrels, got too good conditions and got overpopulated, while the squirrel society became underpopulated (A humourous example, but ignore that. D: ). So, what do the little Elfies do? Why they kill bears, of course! They thin down the bear population and help the squirrel population grow until they're even. I just hope the nonsense I just wrote illustrates the thing well enough. Q_Q

Tauren and The Emerald Dream

Now, Tauren and the Emerald Dream. I couldn't find a concrete source stating this, but taking in mind all the hints and whatnot, I suppose it safe to say that Tauren can enter the Emerald Dream. Their roots lie there and the spirits of their ancestors reside in ‘em lush fields. Spiritwalkers can feel all the spirits of the passed away Tauren in the Emerald Dream. With such ‘connections', I suppose we could say that Tauren Druids can and do enter the place – whether to fight the corruption or to learn.

See also:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Kaldorei
http://www.wowpedia.org/Night_elves
Of Night And Stars! - A Night Elf Guide by Dilnikas
The Wonderful Night Elf Guide by Maeven!
http://www.wowpedia.org/Tauren
http://www.wowpedia.org/Druid
Heroforgotten's Guide to Totemic Druids
http://www.wowpedia.org/Emerald_dream
http://www.wowpedia.org/Emerald_Nightmare
http://www.wowpedia.org/Ysera

Welp, that'll be all for now. I might update this at a later date if I notice the stuff I forgot to put in. So, I really hope this thing helps! :D

~Dilly
*shakes fist* Damn you Dilnikas! I was going to write a guide about this too D:

I must say you did a great job on it however, and I enjoyed reading it immensely.
YAY MY PLAN WORKED

I mean. Glad ya like it, Sheps, thankye! :>
Now I have to read it and summarily ask myself if it was worth sending over 70 messages saying "Post it"

... Fingers have been crossed.

EDIT: Yes.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Danke.
A good guide although it lacks for Tauren. Now I know that it is natural because Tauren aren't nearly as well documented as Night Elves. Kudo's to you.

I shall be awaiting your Village People guide soon.
Little by little, one travels far.
Oh yea? Explain Blood Elves!

...wait a minute.
[Image: 9iaibt.jpg]
Errata Wrote:A good guide althought it lacks for Tauren. Now I know that it is natural because Tauren aren't nearly as well documented as Night Elves. Kudo's to you.

I shall be awaiting your Village People guide soon.

Hehe, thankye, Errata! I see what ya mean about 'em Tauren, I noticed it myself. I'll try to update the thing with this... and probably more things when I can. :D

EpicDuck Wrote:Blood Elves!

Ew.
Moving to Articles and Guides!

'grats. Dilnubas.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
: o

:3

<3
What about speaking in animal form? Do druids lose their ability to speak the longer they stay in animal form and the more feral they become? :S
Thanks, great guide. xD
"It doesn't matter what people are saying as long as they are talking about you."
This'll be handy for my druid character. Thanks, mate.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
@Agaric. Druids can speak the language of the animal they are currently shapeshifted as, and nothing else. They can probably convey a point by writing in the sand, complex sign language, or vocalisations, but they can't actually talk Hooman because of the vocal chords.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Druids in animal form can only speak the tongue of the respective creature. Seeing as they do get more and more feral if they walk around as animals for a long time, it's quite possible that they would lose the ability to talk in their "humanoid languages", just like they lose memories over time. Anyways, thanks! :D I'll also add the stuff to the original post when I have time. :3
Dilly! You seem like the right person to ask this to and, this guide seems like the best place to ask it.

Moonkin. Where do they fit into the picture? I've been having trouble finding a location for Moonkin lore.

Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Variant Classes - Official Guide BountyHunter 14 3,327 10-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Sorum
  Honor Among Thieves - A Guide to Rogues and Trickery Kiffles 8 3,217 03-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Renegade
  A Humble Guide to Druids Delta 10 3,613 02-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Bovel
  (Totemic) Druids and You. FlyingSquirrel 35 16,088 05-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel
  Victory Over The Scarlet Crusade (DK Questline Guide) Delta 2 1,864 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Kretol