The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Pirate City
Perhaps make all sides happy and have it become a small sort of newly established town? So you can create your own history and all of that, and it won't really impeede on major lore. Though I am failry certain this was already the plan.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
The way this seems like it would work best is, yes, if it were a newly established settlement or whatever. What one could do is get the in-character "council" together, composed of a variety of players, and then say that they've pooled their funds together. Perhaps it would start as just a single ship and a small camp in some out-of-the-way place, but I don't think there's any reason why a pirate base couldn't exist. There are loads of little nooks around the coast of the Eastern Kingdoms, kind of like fjords, and any one of those could be feasibly converted to a small, or even large pirate settlement of sorts. Then just add the location to the WSG OOC portal and say that there are ships that occasionally leave from certain ports, which you can get a ride on, providing you can pay the price.

I'd imagine that starting a settlement like this would make the involved parties pretty low on funds, so it might pay for them to spread word of the settlement by word of mouth. Distribute a couple of pamphlets to key, trusted friends, and allow the word to slowly get out. Making people pay for a "visa" and pay for boat fares would be a quick way for them to get money and recover from the losses that they suffered by starting the base. Then, after that, a little bit of taxation on goods would go a long way. Other than that, there wouldn't need to be very many rules, and given a little time, the place could grow and even become a haven for people of a more unsavory nature.

I personally think that a lot of people would be interested in this sort of RP, so I can't really see any downside to doing it.
You truely understand my point :-) thank you
Most awesome signature of Cap'n Scila! Check check check!

Spoiler:
[Image: f7247.png]
So, I will play the pessimist since no one seems to look at the downfall of this.

So, here we have a player-run city, Stromgarde. While it was all, woohoo, for a week or so, it fell down very, very, VERY quickly. The shear amount of time Mikain put into making it to the amount of time it was actually used, made it very...unworth it.

Then, we had the pirate ships and the crypt under Karazhan...No one seemed to think about how those fell through either.

Yes, you guys are all in this, sweet! A new place to RP at! But in all honesty, it is going to be burned out quickly.

And on top of that, player-guards are the worst thing you guys could do. It causes so much hostility, ICly to OOCly, that it starts turning people against each other.

I hate to burst your bubbles, but it is probably going to be a big waste of time for the staff.

/fin
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
I love the idea! ... However, what Cressy said.

It would be dead within the week you've created it, and it would be another Stromgarde. Although, there's always someone going "IT'S GONNA BE STROM ALL OVER AGAIN LOLOL." When the GMs actually have to build something, I have to agree.
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
I don't know..seems something that is constant in regards to rp is pirates/rogues...Lots of them. Might be something that lasts...Can't knock it till ya try it...

/shrug
-Michael

[Image: badge.jpg]
[Image: badge.jpg]
WTF is up with this? ^
There actually was a special area created for pirates previously, and it went down the drain.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
My recommendation? Prove to the staff that this is worth doing by making the same effort (if not more) that it would take to create the city. Write up a proposal.

I'm not talking about pointing to a thread and saying, "Yups, this is why we should do it!" I'm talking about writing up a detail, somewhat-professional document/post/private message that clearly outlines everything about the new pirate city. And I do mean everything.

Include:
  • Summary: a brief overview of what you want and why
  • Objectives: explain what you hope to accomplish with the pirate city
  • Project description: details, details, details. What the city is, it's history, examples from lore, whatever!
  • An evaluation: details description of benefits and detriments

For example, when evaluating the benefits and detriments of the proposed pirate city, you could come up with very detailed examples. It would be an opportunity to use the in-character economy more (running a bar; running a gambling joint; the selling of drugs and liquor and other paraphernalia; and so on). Another place for people to interact without having to justify being in Booty Bay (this may appeal to many of the community who loathe the fact that roleplay occurs in Booty Bay). Potential for future roleplay or larger arcs (competition between different organizations; popular neutral hangout for mercenary units; the opportunity for smuggling or hiring people to acquire specific items; and so on).

Detriments would include: potential conflicts about building ownership; people being unable to enforce rules within the city without the occasional staff interjection; it would potentially entice more people to roleplay there, which may upset people who enjoy roleplaying in other areas; appeals mostly to people who want to explore the seedy underbelly of humanity which may somewhat limit so-called "good" characters from joining. I mean, this is what I came up with during a five minute shower. I'm certain that there are other things.

Also, make sure to draw inspiration from lore and ground the establishment of the city in lore. If it isn't logical, if it doesn't make sense, and if it doesn't adhere to the lore, it's going to be immediately vetoed. Find a way to tie the city into the universe and come up with a feasible history. Establish the identity of characters that reside within the city and who they are (essentially, make mini-profiles for major figures). Create the potential for conflict (which is a great source of roleplay) with the creation of two or more factions within the city.

Compile everything. Clean it up. Make it look presentable (I'd avoid the use of colors since they're not really professional and studies have shown that colors -- particularly on a dark background -- can be difficult for people to read, especially as they grow older).

Does this mean that the staff if going to immediately okay the idea? Oh, goodness no. However, the effort might spark other roleplaying ideas which could also be implemented. It might also prove that you guys are being serious and won't carelessly discard the pirate city when bored with it.
Well I could write an entire document about it, and have a presentation, but if there is no point in fighting for into my idea I won't do it either. If GM's say no it will stay no, and I shouldn't keep nagging about it then. So I first need to get it approved, and get support from a GM.

Cressy, I understand its a lot of work, that's why I'd like to keep it small in the start. And ONLY expand, if its a huge succes (with right motivations to expand it). So you GM's wouldn't have putted that much effort in it if it isn't a succes.
Most awesome signature of Cap'n Scila! Check check check!

Spoiler:
[Image: f7247.png]
Zukaza, I'd be willing to collaborate with you if you need another person to get this sorted out.
We've also got a restart coming up, and are switching to a core. We have no plans to do any big scale additions any time soon.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

What be this Core you speak of Rensin?
The following is my personal opinion only, but I think that it's somewhat of a cop-out excuse to say "we're not going to do anything big because we're having a restart soon." I can understand the core switching, because we literally will lose everything, and I understand the expansion for the same reasons. But Cataclysm probably isn't coming out until November sometime, and it'll take at least a month, if not more time for the devs behind whatever private server build we're using to crack it and make it playable for everyone. It's only the beginning of June right now. We have at least a good six months until the server is restarted.

I don't know when your plans for switching cores are going to take place, but from what I've heard, I think it's safe to assume they roughly coincide with the server restart. So there's plenty of time for some big things to happen, in my own humble opinion. Besides, do we really want to just stagnate because, in several months' time, we will have to start all over again?

I understand the effort that goes into making something like this. Having built similar things on other servers myself, I know that it can take hours before you get something appreciable. I just think that it's too early to give up on everything just yet.

This having been said, I also understand why you might hesitate to make it, because I can imagine that at least some of the GMs feel like it would be wasted if we built something that's just going to disappear soon anyways. But, everything that's made on this server is going to vanish at some point.

In my humble opinion, it's not the product that counts, nor how long it lasts. It's what you do with it that counts.

My two cents.
My understanding was that the restart would be coming significantly sooner than Cataclysm's release -- but I'm not a GM, so what do I know?
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
It's gonna be sometime this summer, maybe, way before Cata. We wanna have some time to build stuff up before that happens (RP wise, not actual BUILDING wise).

We are switching to Trinity Core. It's more stable, and has more options available, as Kretol has said before.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neutral Goblin City Harmonic 42 6,404 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  What happened to that "Lawless City" idea? Jurkey 72 7,387 01-24-2011, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Roxas65
  Pirate Ship (northrend model) Zukaza031 0 653 06-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Zukaza031
  Man Overboard! (Pirate Ship Troubles) (SOLVED) slothahoy 3 785 01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Last Post: slothahoy