The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

[Questions] Priests yo.
Hai, my name is Psychyn and I'm trying to delve into the mind of a priestess. I'm writing up a profile for Cassie who is a neutral-good priestess always striving to help the people around her in some way while learning on and on.

But simply put, I'd like to learn more to flesh out her backstory. I've read the Guide by @Scout over there which has certainly helped, but I wonder about their training.

I know the three virtues (Respect, Tenacity and Compassion) as I played a few Paladins before but what else is there? What else has been part of their training? I vaguely recall reading something about a final test/rite centered around forgiveness but I sadly can't find it any more on the wiki pages (nor recall if it was cannon or not). Anyone know anything about that?

---
Edit:
Found it: http://www.wowpedia.org/Divine

Thoughts on that? Reading back, it seems more of a Mage thing? Though it mentions Druids and human priests. Is this RPG material or should I consider it for her history? If it is not cannon, is some of it plausible? I'm undecided if I want to use it or not.
---

I also stumbled upon this here which has a bit listed for 'Divine' domains. Is it usable or RPG non-cannon overruled material? If it is (partially perhaps) usable, I'd love to know more about these domains.

(Quoted and spoilered here for those that prefer it.)
Spoiler:
Quote:Divine domains
Various domains are accessible to healers depending on their path. Divine domains describe healer spells and help define divine spells.[3]
Arcana[4]
Animal
Ancestors
Magic derived from the worship of ancestors, and by the power of ancestors is the ancestor domain. Several faiths believe in ancestral worship, including tauren, orcs, and tuskarr.
Crusader[4]
Death
Destruction
Elements
Fortelling
Healing
Madness
The madness domain is magic often derived from chaotic and terrible sources such as the old gods. It grants power to certain nihilistic cults or crazed priests.[5]
Power
Protection
Spirits
War
Wild

Also, for the hierarchy Cassie is in. I am trying to stay away a bit from the whole religion idea (as to me it so heavily contradicts. One moment its a religion, the other it is philosophy and such debates never seem to go right when I'm around.) and stick to the idea of the inner-desire to do good and perfect oneself within the world, taking tiny steps to aid the universe and people's connection towards it. However, this page right here about the Church of the Holy Light states states the church basically decides her life from that point on. As a young priestess, may she feel that the church has moved too far away from the virtues and as such chooses to be independent? Instead of staying within the church and acting under a bishop, she's the type to travel and aid the world where she goes. (As leaving people to suffer because the bishop tells you to stay put hardly seems right.) Perhaps she left the church at one point after having completed her training?

Also stumbled upon this quest:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Garments_o...nn_Forest)

It states a priestess earns their robes, I imagine Cassie has one (or a few) of her own then depending on actions/feats performed in her history? (Which she may or may not wear, it seems optional.)

And to top it off with a question about a skill:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Mind_Soothe

Mind Soothe, it has a range on it so just for my own clarification, I assume it is some bolt/form of Light one may cast to calm down others? I don't have to channel the Light directly onto/into a person, do I? (It somewhat makes more sense in a way, but hey.)
To note first: only take the RPG as flavor for fun, not canon. All those schools and branches of divine aren't really relevant anymore. Really, what the heck is Arcana Divine?

Anyway.

The Church of the Holy Light is a regimented and hierarchical organization, so if Cassie trained and grew there, she might very well be placed somewhere to aid. The RPG could help with this, as there is very little lore on how it's all run. You might also look to real world religions, like Catholicism. That all aside, she's your character and we have lots of wandering priests that don't seem to be in trouble with the Church.

Now, Mind Soothe. That is a shadow spell according to WoWPedia. Shadow has proficiency over the mind, while the Light (in my own interpretation) seems to focus on fortifying the soul. You could use your own version of Mind Soothe, and have, perhaps, a holy hymn that fortifies and calms. Or something.

Hope that helps!
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
(08-22-2013, 08:11 AM)c0rzilla Wrote: To note first: only take the RPG as flavor for fun, not canon. All those schools and branches of divine aren't really relevant anymore. Really, what the heck is Arcana Divine?

Anyway.

The Church of the Holy Light is a regimented and hierarchical organization, so if Cassie trained and grew there, she might very well be placed somewhere to aid. The RPG could help with this, as there is very little lore on how it's all run. You might also look to real world religions, like Catholicism. That all aside, she's your character and we have lots of wandering priests that don't seem to be in trouble with the Church.

Now, Mind Soothe. That is a shadow spell according to WoWPedia. Shadow has proficiency over the mind, while the Light (in my own interpretation) seems to focus on fortifying the soul. You could use your own version of Mind Soothe, and have, perhaps, a holy hymn that fortifies and calms. Or something.

Hope that helps!

Yay, a reply! Definitely helps, although I avoid any real life religion (where I can, inspirational or not), just a personal preference. (It helps that 'god' or a god was retconned for the most part within the game. At least for humans, Elves have Elune and all.) The hymn is an idea I thought off before, aiming to have her gradually progress in that direction if the opportunity arrives.

I just dug up what I could on the subject, hoping some pieces were still relevant. Figured I may as well ask instead of cast it aside on a first glance, but without the things I linked, there doesn't seem to be.. a thing on their training?

Even the priest class page has little to no background on it unfortunately. http://www.wowpedia.org/Priest

It does mention the divine magic part I linked in the other post, so I suppose I may try to draw some ideas/inspiration from there. I'll try looking up more in-game quests as well, see if they have any other information.

Thoughts still welcome.
I think people tend to interpret the Church's workings for themselves and mold them to however works best for their character. In my opinion, if you're lower in the hierarchy then you could either be one of the traveling priests that helps others and tries to spread the word(or not, up to you) or is stationed in one place but has the potential to be moved around(could be used for little quests and reasons to investigate stuff too..~). I guess I view it as quite a lot of gray area to work with. Once you get to trying to be a 'higher ranking' priest, though, things will get confusing and issues arise, IMO. <Shrugs> Do what works best for you, me finks.

Mind Soothe, if it's allowed(I see no reason why not, but dunno if that counts as making up spells or something or whatever. Cover your ass, as they say in my job) the hymn idea sounds interesting. For me personally, as I play a Shadow Priest, I make my Mind spells very difficult and intricate and time-consuming. Limited to one target generally, and draining on the caster. But when I use 'Mind' magic, I usually don't have it be a bolt of Shadow or anything(depending on the spell) but more of the sign of a spell used and then whatever happens is all happening within the minds of the caster and the target.

So many commas and parenthesis. D:
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Mm. Not so sure if you're still looking for responses to this topic, but I do have a few questions for you if you are.

You said you were curious about their training. Is that all you were wondering about, how they were trained to become priests? Or were you looking for different organizations that they could have been brought up in?

Each organization has a different way of bringing up their priests.

I have an option for you if you don't want to be directly affiliated with The Church of Holy Light.
[Image: btCv6mF.png]
Inspired by Aroes to make fancy parchment letters. :heart:
Lendri Autumn Sylvian
Alassae Starleaf
Lazarus Majire
Josephine Renae Briarthorn
Feel free to share! I profiled Cassie by now after gaining more inspiration and ideas, but for the future and anyone stumbling upon this thread, it may still help quite a bit!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A confession and some questions Nymus 4 3,559 01-19-2015, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Nymus
  Druid of the Antler? and more questions. Andy7565 7 3,490 11-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Feedback/Questions re: Custom-model characters/NPCs Kretol 50 9,896 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Dae
  Made a Kaldorei, have some questions. hyenaskate 5 1,441 01-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Last Post: hyenaskate
  Hi there! A couple questions Hyenasaurus 12 2,230 12-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla