The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

RP? What? This server?.....Really?
Excuse me everyone, I don't mean to bother or insult anyone, but this has been on my mind for a while. I realize that I am not alone so I want to bring this to the attention of others. First of I would genuinely like to thank Kretol and all of the other GM's who make sure we can all have an enjoyable RP experience. People don't realize how hard it is to 1) find quality RP 2) Find it for -FREE- on the internet with a great established game like WoW. Once again. I thank you.

Now to my point, We need the application process back. When I first came to this server I was a decent Role player, not perfect ( nor am I know ) but decent. I could hold a convincing character, and had my own twist to it. The characters that I came across, were people who were on this server for years or months longer than I was. These players helped bring CoTH alive and to make it something I could enjoy when I got off of work. I'll admit honestly the vouch system set me back, because although I put my all into my RP I received no Vouches and I Role played with many grunts. I didn't have any problems because I could still Role Play, although I'll admit I had frustration.

When the Application for the Gruntship status was introduced I was overjoyed. Then when the initial application process was eliminated, I honestly didn't care because It didn't effect me. Or so I thought. This server is now being bombarded with players who...Really don't role play. Well they role play, but it is the Role of a stone cold bad ass who laughs in the face of death constantly. No one likes to lose I understand, but you win some you lose some. It is a part of the game. The wiki even says, go with another person's story, You can be the star, but not all the time. Be a supporting character, that can be just as fun sometimes. This seems to be a lost art. I'm tired of running into Druids who transform into animals in the middle of cities to intimidate or out of disregard for NPC's and other Characters. Or Fighters in the arena who belittle your emotes because they don't want to lose. I understand if someone says "I stab him in the face" and their response is "I block the blade but it hits me in the chest". That makes sense, but when it's "I punch him in the face" and their response is, "I get punched in the face and laugh in defiance.". Seriously? your so OP that a punch in the face is irrelevant?

Or People who talk (( ay! whats up dood! )) in say chat. When everyone always says DON'T DO THAT. How hard is it to type /1 to go to general. IT takes a lot less effort than typing parenthesis, I'm tired of Meta gaming and god modding, and blatant disrespect to the lore and the players who abide by the rules. Of course half of us want to Role King Variens equally cool twin brother, or The equivalent to Darth Vader or Thrall. But we -KNOW- better. Plus no one is really stopping you from getting OP you just have to RP to get there. Because I am aware of my own limitations as a human being I didn't say anything, nobody is perfect. When I first got on the server, I summoned an Imp in Booty bay and got killed on the spot ( Yeah I was -that- dude. ) But I shaped up because I wanted to get better, I wanted the respect of my fellow Role Players because I wanted to get in on the cool events and story lines everyone talked about in chat and on the forums.

It wasn't until a person on the server ( who I will let remain anonymous ) said they were quitting because of how bad the Server has gotten. Some say Boo-hoo, let them leave, I felt the opposite. Because when I was a peon this player opened my eyes to The RP I could do, showed me authentic story progression and above all an entertaining experience. Which is the point. There is no reason why the players who were here way before any of us were, should have to leave because -We- the new generation of CoTH suck. Because there are no People getting denied anyone can hop on and lulz it up with their BFF and act foolishly ruining RP that is well rooted into the server.

We have to Remember CoTH has been around longer than most realize, we should respect the ones before us. The ones who have established this site, with a powerful foundation. I think we should tighten up on the crappy players, I can't dress it up with pretty words. Some people on here flat out suck. I vote for the re-introduction of the Initial application. I don't mean to give the GM's any more work than they have to do already. But the work that they were doing was beneficial to the server on a larger scale than was previously realized. I hope this is taken seriously, and not as a rant of an aggravated individual. I am not the only one who feels this way, if you don't listen to me. Listen to your favorite Role Player on the server who most likely agrees but doesn't want to be rude.

Yes, like I explained earlier and JasonB said on the server. "No one starts out perfect, and people get better with time." I agree because I am the proof of that statement. But some people disregard minor hints and suggestions for better RP ( Like I've listed above ) as if they don't have to listen or take it seriously. No one reads the Wiki for some reason, or even glances at the rules or server lore. I can understand hopping on excited because you want to hop into RP and not read a lot. :( I was a victim, but once you hop on and your like "Sin sho- what?" You should take your lazy butt ( Myself included at the time ) to the Wiki and get with the program.

Kretol and the others do not keep this server so 90 bad asses can spam lulz in the arena, and then complain because things don't work, Its disrespectful. The server isn't perfect, but neither is your shoddy RP. If you are so concerned with your favorite move, and want to complain to the GM's go back to Retail. There you can talk about whatever your favorite Lady GaGa quote is, plus "Pwn" mobs for the shiniest gear. This is about ROLE PLAYING. That is the central purpose of this site, -that's- why I love it. There are other sites out there that give you GM abilities and insta-level 80 so there is no reason to come here and complain to us about it.

I hope the GM's and classic RPers come forth and stand up for their server. Because if we don't do something now, all the -real- characters are going to be replaced by shallow characters. I'd like to take this time out to list characters I have enjoyed RPing with. Because they are -Real- Characters. I won't be able to list all of them so I apologize if you have had good RP with my characters and you aren't on the list. -YOU- know if you are a good RP'er If you have to question it, you probably aren't.

( Warning: Once again this post is in no way shape or form made to insinuate I am a superior Role Player. It is merely an observation thank you. q:o )

Characters I enjoy in no particular order (At all...seriously):

Raka'Jin
Taelyn
Arya
Maulbane
Telika
Riplah
Ahote
Rensin
Balgarn
Gralin
Lexi
Randy
Jessie
Lenreal
Jabtok
Bass
I don't remember her name but I called her Matchstick lol She knows who I'm talking about.
Vakari
Machk
Seu
Zunaj
Sekh
Legaro
Daevha
Valira
Azoke

Plus many more. I feel bad I can't name them all off the top of my head, but I thank all of you I have listed for an enjoyable experience. And some of these characters are characters my character doesn't like ICly ( woo, What?! I know right? ) But it's because these characters are believable that they aren't liked. Which makes them all the better. Thank you for your time. Please, if anything is taken from this. We need to address this problem. CoTH is quality, it should always remain that way. Thank you.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
Good show, Chap.
I'm glad someone had the (pardon my French) balls to speak up.

It's a good idea to do something, I think.
[Image: walrus_family_affair-2.gif]
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol
Well said.

Very well said.
[Image: lichkingfell.png]
Thank you for hearing me out. /bow I really appreciate it. I also appreciate the RP I have shared with your characters, Raka'Jin and Hesper. Thank you for a quality experience.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
One thing I ask is that we try to be a little more tolerant towards the new guys, I too sucked at typing full sentences and using correct grammar when I started out on this server a month and a half ago, much better now though.

My personal opinion is that the Grunt Application system should be given some more time. Also I think we should give some more time to the new members of CotH, including me :oops:, to get accustomed to the environment here in CotH

Anyway this idea may sound rather absurd, but I think we should have a subforum where people may ask for feedback on their characters or on how they rp.

By the way, Pharaoh it was cool of you to post about it and I pretty much agree with you.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
Bertrand Russell
I would like to second this topic. rather, fourth or fifth, it seems. Also, I'm glad I'm on that list of people. I applaud you, my friend. Good work.
Crunchym8: Work tomorrow at a greenhouse, followed by a D&D session. Aw fel yeaahhh I can't be more hardcore.
Crunchym8: WE'RE PLANTING THE MUMS AND THE DAYLILLIES TOMORROW AND IF WE HAVE TIME SNAPDRAGONS
Crunchym8: I AM SO MANLY.
I want to start of the rehabilitation of this server (YES let's admit it, it's kinda damaged in its current state.) With his suggestion. An Introductions Thread where we can filter and weed out the bad seeds and hopefully, retain the quality of the server that I entered in in the first place. We might actually lose some people, but these same people are the ones who are ruining the lives of the entire server.

VOUCHED. Lol. I missed that.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
Indeed. Someone who has the nuggets to say it. Some people are afraid the GM's won't take it the right way, but as everyone can clearly see, they do take it fine, they applaud it. This just shows how much better this server is than all the others out there, in terms of maturity. It truly is a magnificent thing.

I completely agree with you. Alot of people coming into the server have just been.. not RP material. Many were defiant of rules, and just trying to godmode. I can't stand Roleplayers who do that.
Who is evil, who is blind?
In the name of who you'll find
You're not supposed to question faith
But how do you accept this fate?
I would like to say just for clarification, that this was completely un-related to the screen shot fiasco as I had no Idea what that was about until I finished my post. I also didn't mean to insult any GM or say they weren't doing their job correctly or anything. This was just my honest observation, out of my genuine enjoyment of the server. I hope this post wasn't confused with the other as adding fuel to the Drama.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

Seeing as how I've been a ghost on the server for a long while due to Eye Arr El issues, my opinion might not have much weight to it, but I gotsa chime in on this.

I understand your concern over the "new generation" and the "low quality" RP'rs that are seeping in. Good Marduk, I've lived through it so many times. See, I've been on this server for well over a year and a half. Maybe two years. Dunno, my memory's all scattered due to drugs arduous academic studying. I read through your entire post and while the RP'r part of me agrees with ya, my past experience on the server just kinda says otherwise.

I remember the application process. I was there when it was formulated, instigated, and ended. The vouching system was a noble idea with plenty of good intentions. The type of intentions that you listed off in your post. It wanted to create a filter to whittle out the bad players from entering the server.

....but the actual implementation of the system did everything but that.

See, once the system got put into practice, COTH no longer became a place for good RP. It became a place of social hierarchy. People coveted the grunt status. They lusted for it. They wanted it so badly that the majority of them made hallow RP attempts with the people with big 80's attached to their level number. They built up a friendly persona, did a fair share of brown nosing, and did whatever they could for that big, pretty VOUCHED! stamp to slam onto their introduction page.

Which in of itself was kind of borked, too.

It wasn't a comfortable RP environment. Not for old veterans like me. Because people weren't trying to RP as a casual, relaxed player. They were climbing the social ladder like they were stuck in some sorta office. So much shady Roman senate style bullshit was going on, people trying to one up other people, rumors being spread around, two-faced dealings and what not. It was so shady that you couldn't trust anybody that you didn't already know. And the elitism? Oh man, don't even get me started on that...

Many people simply do not want to go through all of that again. People who were absolutely terrific role players came to COTH and were just like "Whoa, what the f**k is with all these hoops?". I know at least 4 people, all of whom were GREAT RP'rs, who looked at COTH during that time and told me "Yeah Krent, this seems like a good server....but I don't want to have to put in the same work and effort one places in a job interview just so I can be considered an equal on this server. I'll stick to my retail guild.".

It's for this reason why the intro and vouch system got scrapped. At least the way I see it. Can't speak for the GM's.

Asking for it to come back would be a mistake. It'd simply be another step backwards. The best thing to do is to leave the gates open and simply learn to deal with those who aren't "up to par" with your standards. Teach them. Guide them. Help them. And if they're unwilling to get better or follow the rules?

Stop. RP'ing. With. Them. /ignore is your friend. Report them if they're a huge problem.

They'll be banned, or rage quit, while those who've stuck to the community stay behind. Then it'll all start again once the next summer / winter break comes. The key is to not get worked up about it. Don't take things personally. Don't let other players stress you out. Live and let live.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
Krent Wrote:Seeing as how I've been a ghost on the server for a long while due to Eye Arr El issues, my opinion might not have much weight to it, but I gotsa chime in on this.

I understand your concern over the "new generation" and the "low quality" RP'rs that are seeping in. Good Marduk, I've lived through it so many times. See, I've been on this server for well over a year and a half. Maybe two years. Dunno, my memory's all scattered due to drugs arduous academic studying. I read through your entire post and while the RP'r part of me agrees with ya, my past experience on the server just kinda says otherwise.

I remember the application process. I was there when it was formulated, instigated, and ended. The vouching system was a noble idea with plenty of good intentions. The type of intentions that you listed off in your post. It wanted to create a filter to whittle out the bad players from entering the server.

....but the actual implementation of the system did everything but that.

See, once the system got put into practice, COTH no longer became a place for good RP. It became a place of social hierarchy. People coveted the grunt status. They lusted for it. They wanted it so badly that the majority of them made hallow RP attempts with the people with big 80's attached to their level number. They built up a friendly persona, did a fair share of brown nosing, and did whatever they could for that big, pretty VOUCHED! stamp to slam onto their introduction page.

Which in of itself was kind of borked, too.

It wasn't a comfortable RP environment. Not for old veterans like me. Because people weren't trying to RP as a casual, relaxed player. They were climbing the social ladder like they were stuck in some sorta office. So much shady Roman senate style bullshit was going on, people trying to one up other people, rumors being spread around, two-faced dealings and what not. It was so shady that you couldn't trust anybody that you didn't already know. And the elitism? Oh man, don't even get me started on that...

Many people simply do not want to go through all of that again. People who were absolutely terrific role players came to COTH and were just like "Whoa, what the f**k is with all these hoops?". I know at least 4 people, all of whom were GREAT RP'rs, who looked at COTH during that time and told me "Yeah Krent, this seems like a good server....but I don't want to have to put in the same work and effort one places in a job interview just so I can be considered an equal on this server. I'll stick to my retail guild.".

It's for this reason why the intro and vouch system got scrapped. At least the way I see it. Can't speak for the GM's.

Asking for it to come back would be a mistake. It'd simply be another step backwards. The best thing to do is to leave the gates open and simply learn to deal with those who aren't "up to par" with your standards. Teach them. Guide them. Help them. And if they're unwilling to get better or follow the rules?

Stop. RP'ing. With. Them. /ignore is your friend. Report them if they're a huge problem.

They'll be banned, or rage quit, while those who've stuck to the community stay behind. Then it'll all start again once the next summer / winter break comes. The key is to not get worked up about it. Don't take things personally. Don't let other players stress you out. Live and let live.

Eh. Not the Grunt System. The Introduction System.

Sorry if I replied to your long post with thus short an answer. Didn't mean it. Don't kill me!
Main Characters:

Diethe Wrote:Eh. Not the Grunt System. The Introduction System.

Sorry if I replied to your long post with thus short an answer. Didn't mean it. Don't kill me!

LORD MASTER KRENT DOES NOT FORGIVE OR FORGET PREPARE YOUR SOUL FOR ETERNAL TORTUR~

Err, I mean, the Grunt system and Introduction system were interconnected. One of the same. I stand by the statement I made....somewhere in my giant post that bringing back that kind of system would be a bad, bad idea.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
Perhaps we can just have the Introduction System to allow them to play the server while keep the system of being a grunt that we have now?

This way, we solve filtering out the bad seeds while not entering the world of heirarchy of the Vouch system, right?

EDIT: inb4Nostra.
Main Characters:

I think the current grunt system works pretty good as it is now, but I do think we could do some screening of the intros, mostly to quickly show the people who write one word posts or something along the lines of "i like rp had to post kthxbai" to the door. As long as you can write so we understand you and don't act like an asshat in your intro it's enough. The rest I'd be happy to be without, dealing with them is usually a pain as they either don't comprehend what you say, or if they do what they say in response is completely lost in their spelling/grammar problems. And since most of them end up being banned anyway it does feel rather unnecessary to have to "endure" their /b/resence.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Diethe hit it on the nose. Keep current grunt screenings, and do the old intro screening. That's what I think would filter a good 80% of bad RP'ers out of here.
Who is evil, who is blind?
In the name of who you'll find
You're not supposed to question faith
But how do you accept this fate?