The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

RP? What? This server?.....Really?
Diethe Wrote:Perhaps we can just have the Introduction System to allow them to play the server while keep the system of being a grunt that we have now?

This way, we solve filtering out the bad seeds while not entering the world of heirarchy of the Vouch system, right?

Not sure I follow what ya saying. The introduction system was linked directly to the idea of players giving other players wet sloppy Vouched!'s, which created the social ladder in the first place.

You suggesting we have an intro system without any vouches at all? Then, by what merits are we to deny or approve others...? What criteria are we supposed to use? What determines a "Good" RP'r from a "bad" one. We've had some pretty deceptive gellopy dicks pass through here who passed the intro system with flying colors, only to cause huge amounts of drama and god-moding in game....
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
Well then, it lies on the players to report these little seeds of fail to the Game Masters. Right? Simply use the same criteria that CotH always has. Seems like a good plan to me.
Who is evil, who is blind?
In the name of who you'll find
You're not supposed to question faith
But how do you accept this fate?
An Introduction System without Vouches, but will definitely need GMs to check it before giving clearance to that player to get into the server. Yeah. The introduction System without the old Grunt System basically. GMs are the one to check these introduction systems. Really, the GMs can handle it. Trust them. Beisdes, its very easy to see a really bad Introduction from a good one.

"'allo lol I new to dis servr'

And...going to be mean with this but you get my point;

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14190

Heck...basic knowledge. It's the GMs job to discriminate a good RPer from a bad one, and give chances to those who can improve. I have to say, there are really good new roleplayers in the wake of the bad ones too, like Seu and Mael. (Well, mostly because they're the only ones I know by username who I RP with.)

Oh and....another suggestion to the GMs. It would be nice to make a server-wide announcement when all these updates and tweaks to improving quality server are done. It is for the old players who are really good RPers to see that we've changed and are improving.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
I totally agree with Diethe. The old introduction system without vouches looks like an excellent solution, in my opinion.

I agree with the original post too. I have seen good, no, great RPers, my friends or not, leave the server because they couldn't take the quality of the RP here anymore. The amazing people leaving only make the roleplay here (which was once almost at the peak) worse. Now... Let me be blunt - for the first time, and, hopefully, the last. Without the old introduction system, bad people started coming into the server. Really bad. This is in no way directed at everyone, or anyone specifically. I agree with the patience thing, but still, there were people who just wouldn't change like that. Those who would, would go through the old system. I am sorry for my bluntness.

...did I just rant? In that case... /end

:D
And <3 to all.

EDIT: I am in no way calling myself a 'superior roleplayer' or anything, I think everyone should leave it up to others to decide what kind of roleplayer they are. Also, I don't mean to offend anybody, and am sorry if it seemed that way. Just throwing my opinion out there. :D

...God, phone-typing is hard. : <
Yes, I agree. The elitism was something that turned me off as well, and I also had a friend who was rejected by the intro system because his intro wasn't up to par. He is a Great RPer, he was the one who got me into RPing. It was the main reason I wanted him on the server. He also said something along the lines of "I don't want to put in job interview time and quality" just to RP. The grunt system is fine. I have no problem with that, I just think the introductions should be checked to eliminate the blatantly half-ass RP'ers. Ignoring them isn't really a way to solve it though, its just brushing it under the rug. We shouldn't -have- to ignore chars is what I'm saying. Everyone on the server should at least be willing to learn and get better.

We should all be close to the same page, some of us aren't even in the same book. (Excuse the poor metaphor) Maybe instead of fine tooth combing the Intros we can fish net them, a quick scan for stupidity and lack of effort. (excuse the poor metaphor). Diethe's example is the main point, to RP successfully it requires maturity IMO. If you don't have the patience to calmly fill out a application for this server, you clearly don't want to RP that bad. If that is the case, go to Retail or these other servers that let you hop on and God Mod. It sounds cold but that is the only way to ensure quality over quantity. To make an omelet you have to break some eggs. (excuse the poor metaphors ...I really didn't plan to use so many.)
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
I have to agree with the lot of you. While I have not been on this server long enough to be a true veteran, I do have to say I've encountered some RP that left me with a sour taste in the mouth. I believe people who are simply too lazy to even read through the wiki and the rules are not cut-out to be here, blunt as it may sound. Those actions alone can be very harmful for the server, and the great system everyone has contributed on as a whole. I'm also a firm believer the introduction screening should be returned to its former status; that way, as most already said, the bad seeds can be filtered.

Let me tell you about the day I first joined this server, just to clarify my standpoint in this.

When I first joined, I was intimidated as hell. I knew this server had high standards, that much I could see with a simple glance over alone. However, because of this, I wanted to do everything perfectly; right to the letter. I skimmed through everything on the wiki several times, just to be sure everything was in my head and I didn't forget anything. It took me a while before I got up and wrote my introduction, because I wanted to give a good first impression.

I think this should be a feeling everyone should have at least a taste of should they want to enter this community. They need to feel the weight of our expectations and respect them the moment they set foot in the server and start RP'ing. Don't get me wrong, I don't want perfection from anyone, knowing we can never bring such a thing to begin with. I do, however, want everyone to respect each other. And knowing the rules and wiki is a form of respect because you show to us you are willing to adept and bring everyone the RP we deserve because in the end and never changing; you joined a RP server.
Whatever you do, I think it is important to remember that this is a game, and we are supposed to have fun. Thus I am against any serious filtering of players or any really time taking initiations. When we write character profiles, it is enough work to read up on the lore and create the story.

It might indeed help though just to filter the introductions better.
[Image: dE74.gif]
I'm still intimidated and scared by this server. Scared I'll be banned and such, because this is by far my favorite server I've ever played on, and the community is simply otherworldly in terms of quality. I'm always afraid I'll screw up and get banned somehow, so I'm always extra careful in-game. :P
Me too. I agree with Maelstrom and Sheppard. Yes you should feel a certain responsibility to uphold your share to this server. You should be intimidated (slightly) or motivated (probably the better word choice) to bring your A game. You don't go to a 5 star restaurant in baggy clothes and a dirty T-shirt. You wear a suit. For the people who just want a sandwich. Just go to Mcdonalds. ...What is up with this crappy metaphors? I'm done...For now. >.> <.< Viva la Server!
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
Mmmmm....I think you're all forgetting one thing.

Introductions don't necessarily entail a good RP'r. Some tremendously great RP'rs have been quashed under the weight of the intro system simply because, well, not everyone wants to open up all of their personal hobbies / beliefs when they first step into a community. On the flip side, I know at least....mm, probably 2 or 3 RP'rs who put forth absolutely flawless introductions, and they god moded, meta-gamed, and drama spread like wild.

What I'm getting at is the application process isn't really a sure fire thing that'll guarantee the top notch players coming in. I always believe that a player's actions in game speak much louder than the things they type out in an intro. I don't really believe that an intro will mark the quality of a player. We certainly got a good number of bad RP'rs when the system was up, that's for sure.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
Yes, but it will definitely help filter everything.
A whole lot.
Yes, well...

About bad roleplayers, I think it should be pointed to their attention how to really role play, what to do and what not to do. Could be helpful to make a wiki page with tips about it.

And only really irritating meta gaming that is in my mind right now is being invited to a group in order to OOCly discuss what the characters will do. Especially I dislike when people demand everyone involved in current roleplay to be invited. I have nothing against 'just' being invited to group, but being told what will happen or what this or that character is feeling I consider as plain spoiling of fun. I enjoy being surprised, taken by the flow of the story happening around me. Not "Where is he? He is hiding behind the wall." kind of stuff... with lots of "lul" and other things attached. *sigh*.

And as always, I don't mean any offense to anyone. If you do the above, just stop. It will be much more interesting to know only what your character knows.
ThePharaoh Wrote:Me too. I agree with Maelstrom and Sheppard. Yes you should feel a certain responsibility to uphold your share to this server. You should be intimidated (slightly) or motivated (probably the better word choice) to bring your A game. You don't go to a 5 star restaurant in baggy clothes and a dirty T-shirt. You wear a suit. For the people who just want a sandwich. Just go to Mcdonalds. ...What is up with this crappy metaphors? I'm done...For now. >.> <.< Viva la Server!

*Pats* don't worry about metaphors.

But the thing is, it's so easy to connect high-level roleplay with being overpowered. Firstly, to figure out your character you sometimes need to roleplay it a few times. Secondly, sometimes a well played character is that poor beggar on the corner street with no strength to his muscles.
Quote:...bad roleplayers...

Why are we so concerned about kicking out bad roleplayers, shouldn't everyone be given some time and a chance to improve? Honestly, I had never played WoW, or any other online game, and had never rp-ed before I joined CotH. If everything was as strict as you guys want it to be, I would have been banned in the first week of my time here before becoming the better roleplayer that I am now. I still have problems with punctuation >>
I think we should be a little more tolerant towards newbies, even if someone has problems fitting in we should try to help him/her rather ask that the player be banned outright.
Again I ask for a subforum where people can ask for feedback on their characters or how they roleplay.

/offtopic
Quote:....Seu ---- (Well, mostly because they're the only ones I know by username....
My username is Shane, just so you know :mrgreen:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
Bertrand Russell
Krent Wrote:Mmmmm....I think you're all forgetting one thing.

Introductions don't necessarily entail a good RP'r. Some tremendously great RP'rs have been quashed under the weight of the intro system simply because, well, not everyone wants to open up all of their personal hobbies / beliefs when they first step into a community. On the flip side, I know at least....mm, probably 2 or 3 RP'rs who put forth absolutely flawless introductions, and they god moded, meta-gamed, and drama spread like wild.

What I'm getting at is the application process isn't really a sure fire thing that'll guarantee the top notch players coming in. I always believe that a player's actions in game speak much louder than the things they type out in an intro. I don't really believe that an intro will mark the quality of a player. We certainly got a good number of bad RP'rs when the system was up, that's for sure.

You are right Krent, but then again, everything has its ups and downs. No matter what system, there will always be that one drama queen or meta-gamer inside this community, because that we're human, we're flawed to an extend. It will be very naive to simply say "Well, if we set up this system, everything will be perfect!", because knowing human nature, it will never be perfect. All we can do is experiment and see how it unfolds; if someone gives you sour candy, try spicing it up with some sugar (...or something, damn metaphors).

Shane Wrote:
Quote:...bad roleplayers...

Why are we so concerned about kicking out bad roleplayers, shouldn't everyone be given some time and a chance to improve? Honestly, I had never played WoW, or any other online game, and had never rp-ed before I joined CotH. If everything was as strict as you guys want it to be, I would have been banned in the first week of my time here before becoming the better roleplayer that I am now.
I think we should be a little more tolerant towards newbies, even if someone has problems fitting in we should try to help him/her rather ask that the player be banned outright.
Again I ask for a subforum, where people can ask for feedback on their characters or how they roleplay.

Bad roleplayers can always get better, but only within the boundaries we give them. If we never tell them what they're doing is wrong, they will not learn and continue as if it was all good. I'm guilty to say that I haven't always told someone who obviously had a hard grasp on god-modding what he was doing wrong because honestly, I wasn't in the mood to do so. But after it all, I didn't /ignore him either, but added him to my friends list in the hope I would meet him again and maybe help him get better with costume emotes.

I remember we had such a conversation a while back on the forums regarding bad RP'ers and the like, and all came to a conclusion--or at least I did--that helping these 'bad' RP'ers wasn't such a bad idea. I want to hear honesty when I ask you all this:

Quote:"Have you helped your fellow RP'er when you thought it was due?"

You don't have to answer me if you don't want to, nor will I judge you. I'm simply curious how such a debate influenced this community and where we are standing now compared with all those weeks ago when this came to our attention.