The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

RPing as yourself?
I don't really see anything wrong with self-inserting as long as it doesn't lead to a blur between OOC/IC. As long as you know the difference, are still having fun, and it doesn't lead to drama -- sure, why not? If that's what interests you, go for it man. Like I said before, self-inserting isn't always a bad idea. It just usually is.
All my characters got a tiny bit of me in them.

But one that's purely me..? Hm.. I don't know.
I play a lot of male characters.

:|

Otherwise, most of my characters draw pretty close to the social conventions I adhere by since I have great difficulty swaying outside of them. I have been trying, and my attempts have yielded interesting results. ... all the while making me feel really uncomfortable in a refreshing sort of way.
This is one of the MOST FUN roleplay exercises EVER! Reason being is your character is so much more free. Why is he more free? Because if you are honest with yourself you and everyone around you knows, you would not stand up to that dragon. It really allows you to get inside of your own head and the better you know your own head the better you can emulate someone else's, ie another one of your characters. If you guys have never done it before start a level 1 dungeons and dragon game where everyone has to rp as themselves. Its alot of fun to watch the entire party roll on the floor laughing because the entire character party just tripped all over each other trying to get away from a Kolbold.

[Image: c36335d73555714146b393bce05c4a74.jpg]

[Image: 1219597_c9f207c53e0656326cf233adf2569bb2.jpg]
(09-14-2013, 01:11 AM)Stealthscout Wrote: So yes, if you meet me IRL... prepare to meet a male Celen.(Though not entirely, I do have some qualities she lacks, like not headbutting the wall and.. me being male and her not.)

Implying being male is a quality and being female isn't!?

cis pig

Anywho. 99% of self-inserts are played horribly. Thus I am skeptical towards when people say 'this character is just me'. I generally look down upon the practice due to this.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
I'm not a fan of self-insertion. I thought the whole idea of role-playing was to play a role that was different than yourself. If I wanted to be me, I'd just go out and do stuff.

I'm okay with drawing on aspects of my personality though. But only as inspiration and to identify with the character.
(09-21-2013, 05:12 AM)Xigo Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 01:11 AM)Stealthscout Wrote: So yes, if you meet me IRL... prepare to meet a male Celen.(Though not entirely, I do have some qualities she lacks, like not headbutting the wall and.. me being male and her not.)

Implying being male is a quality and being female isn't!?

cis pig

Anywho. 99% of self-inserts are played horribly. Thus I am skeptical towards when people say 'this character is just me'. I generally look down upon the practice due to this.

... Honestly, thinking that I imply that is.. Silly? ( I think I just used the wrong word)
I mean, being a male is a quality but also being a female is. Also head butting a wall (As in being blunt and dealing with things head-on) is a quality which I lack. (I just didn't have any other word to describe what I wanted.)
'Tis a jest, m8.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(09-22-2013, 06:14 AM)Xigo Wrote: 'Tis a jest, m8.

u w0t
I'm very, very, vary (hah, Vary,) unsure about what to say, here. I mean, I do share quite a few traits in real life with some of my characters, but a self-insert? Wat?
Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will, that allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

- Algalon, The Observer
I think it's pretty much impossible to not have some of your own thought, feelings and traits slip in to a character you roleplay. After all even movies, books and games are simply the "vision" the person or group of people had about the things contained inside the narrative.

I don't feel that self inserts are an issue as a starting point... however since I think that roleplay should be about actions leading to consequences I think that the self insert character should eventually develop of their own accord rather than remaining a parallel all the way through. Characters should always develop along with the plot, nobody stays completely the same as the days go by, certain things can change how they view the world and so on.
I think people are talking about two different kinds of "self-inserts" in this thread.

On one hand it's to pull information from yourself or simply shaping your character greatly after who you are or perceive yourself to be. You base your character on you; this kind, I don't mind so much. People can do it tastefully and it can even be pretty challenging and interesting to put a person who's essentially you through situations you wouldn't normally find yourself in.

The other kind of "self-insert" that people talk about is the kind of person who is the person in the roleplay. The roleplay affects them in a very personal way because you take offense to your character's trials as if they're your own, or the insults as if they're aimed at you, personally. That kind of "self-insert" is much less positive. Immersion is good in controlled doses, but it very easily goes overboard and comes to the point where OOC drama is born out of IC situations. I've seen people refer to this several times in the topic, though that's not actually what the topic means to discuss. It's the former.
Self-inserts are generally Mary Sue as heck its incredible. Sure, you can dump in your own perspective here and there -- but at times hardly makes any sense to the role you're supposedly playing.

I've made and seen other "self-insert" characters in general that have devastated my immersion and feeling of the roleplay environment. I won't bother showing examples here since it's not worth it.

Overall, I do not approve of self-inserts.
(09-26-2013, 10:46 AM)Loxmardin Wrote: I think people are talking about two different kinds of "self-inserts" in this thread.

On one hand it's to pull information from yourself or simply shaping your character greatly after who you are or perceive yourself to be. You base your character on you; this kind, I don't mind so much. People can do it tastefully and it can even be pretty challenging and interesting to put a person who's essentially you through situations you wouldn't normally find yourself in.

The other kind of "self-insert" that people talk about is the kind of person who is the person in the roleplay. The roleplay affects them in a very personal way because you take offense to your character's trials as if they're your own, or the insults as if they're aimed at you, personally. That kind of "self-insert" is much less positive. Immersion is good in controlled doses, but it very easily goes overboard and comes to the point where OOC drama is born out of IC situations. I've seen people refer to this several times in the topic, though that's not actually what the topic means to discuss. It's the former.

I actually like it when a character based off of me is given an awkward situation. It's not like I'll ever be able to enchant my "magic wand" and use it to summon "water" elementals in real life, unless I become a Japanese schoolgirl. Pretty awesome situations that you would have to imagine how you would really respond to them, barring real life experience.

I'm sure that if Loxmardin the Loxbard had his brains switched and his real life counterpart saw a mage casting Firestorm in "real life", he'd poop his pants in fright / awe.
I think people are simplifying the situation. From a bigger perspective, there's no such thing as objectivity - only what we see and experience, which is clouded by our stinky human brains. Try as we might, we're not computers, or books, or blank slates or anything like that - the information we take in is influenced by our perspectives, and that's the biased and warped information we've got to RP using!

Every character you've made has morsels of your personality in it, I can guarantee you that - generally we don't even notice it because it's stuff we take for granted. There's a massive difference between wish fulfillment and incorporating your own experiences/personality into your creative shizzle, and this can easily be mixed up. One's a natural thing to me, the other is seen as bad for a legion of reasons that've been discussed ad nauseum, but mostly it's just kind of disingenuous to the people you're RPing with.

I've realised that most of my characters - Vedajo, Elizka, Taves and Lorailis - deal with inadequacy in varying degrees, some of them being consumed by it to the point of having inferiority complexes and others simply dealing with it in their stride. Ultimately, these things wouldn't be in my characters if I hadn't thought them myself at some point - these aren't feelings you can understand or portray correctly just by reading about them in a book.

Rather than imagining characters as perfect things, isolated from the soup in our headzones, I think it'd be way better for our collective self-esteems if we viewed 'em as a little bit dissonant - a bit here lifted from WoW lore, a bit here from some childhood trauma, a chunk of the communist manifesto jammed in for a giggle and wrapped in a slightly dirty bow. At least, that's my stupid view.

RPing as -yourself-? That's a whole different ballgame. I think it's ... Really not worth trying in a fantasy setting, especially one as frenetic as Warcraft. However, I think it's a pretty neat exercise to do.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RPing as a Dragon? KomodoTheCashew 27 6,544 12-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Last Post: WindZealot
  RPregnancy - A Guide to RPing a Pregnant Character [WIP] c0rzilla 26 18,784 12-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Nymus
  RPing with curses Dae 5 1,376 07-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marilyn
  When RPing becomes a chore. ImagenAshyun 23 4,536 07-31-2011, 01:44 AM
Last Post: SpiralLateralus
  RPing as a guard Kretol 51 7,638 01-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Qaza