The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

RPing as yourself?
It shows no creativity, can quickly become inadapted (you aren't a dwarf, nor a draenei), and tends to lower the quality standard.

The problem here, is that while others know and understand the concept of splitting the OOC and IC parts, and assume you do....you quite won't. IC actions typically don't really take your OOC feelings into account, since they aren't directed at your OOC self, but at your character. We assume that you know you're watching a scene unfold, but it's like a TV series or a video game, you may relate to your character but they give themselves merciless blows that aren't supposed to hit your OOC self. And so you'll take a lot of criticism from other characters, ICly, that will be, in the end, directed to yourself. And that might lead to drama, because they will point out your actual flaws...And no matter if they are IC characters and do not in anyway involve their narrators, you will be pointed out flaws in your character/yourself in not too subtle ways - Azeroth isn't subtle, the character might be overly rude, and since we assume your character isn't you, we OOCly don't really think about the OOC implications of our IC actions. So when we do attack your character - yourself - we do it with this split in mind, but the attack will go around the IC/OOC wall and hit you in the face. (The same can happen with positive actions that you will take OOCly when really they only involve your characters, too. Don't think a player will love you because their character loves you. They are not their characters and assume the same of you.)

And it makes drama. And nobody likes drama.

Stay a heterodiegetic narrator - make your characters, base it off you if you want - but don't let your character become you, and always maintain a distance between your creation and yourself. That way you can watch and make the story unfold, but never forget that it is just that - a story.
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
Here's a question for ya'll.

If someone came along with a very in-depth self-insert character, a character entirely based on their own OOC persona (which means I'm not including the drama-mongering kind of self-insert, as I detailed the differences in my previous post), would you even be able to tell?

And; would you even care?

Importing your own person into a completely different setting could be pretty interesting and creative in its own way. It's an interesting exploration and experimentation for writers, for example, to put themselves through situations they wouldn't normally find themselves in. Answering the question "What would I do if...?" is much harder than people think!

Try it sometime!
(09-27-2013, 01:25 AM)Loxmardin Wrote: Here's a question for ya'll.

If someone came along with a very in-depth self-insert character, a character entirely based on their own OOC persona (which means I'm not including the drama-mongering kind of self-insert, as I detailed the differences in my previous post), would you even be able to tell?

And; would you even care?

Importing your own person into a completely different setting could be pretty interesting and creative in its own way. It's an interesting exploration and experimentation for writers, for example, to put themselves through situations they wouldn't normally find themselves in. Answering the question "What would I do if...?" is much harder than people think!

Try it sometime!

I think its even more interesting if you apply the in-game lore to that kind of character. I mean I find humans boring as heck in WoW but even they have a backstory that makes them very different to humans in the real world... even of a "comparable" time period.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RPing as a Dragon? KomodoTheCashew 27 6,544 12-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Last Post: WindZealot
  RPregnancy - A Guide to RPing a Pregnant Character [WIP] c0rzilla 26 18,784 12-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Nymus
  RPing with curses Dae 5 1,376 07-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marilyn
  When RPing becomes a chore. ImagenAshyun 23 4,536 07-31-2011, 01:44 AM
Last Post: SpiralLateralus
  RPing as a guard Kretol 51 7,638 01-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Qaza