The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

RTS Games
A strategy game I would highly recommend is the Spellforce series.
I like RTS games a lot but... I'm horrible at them. Truly, truly bad. I simply don't have the patience for them.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
Stronghold: Crusader is pretty fun.
(09-19-2013, 10:15 AM)Roxas65 Wrote: I like RTS games a lot but... I'm horrible at them. Truly, truly bad. I simply don't have the patience for them.

I'm terrible at them too, bro. I can't even win a game of Civ 5 on Prince difficulty.

Son of a b***h Hiawatha won a Science Victory and I was like 8 turns away from getting my final policy done.

EDIT: What's even more amazing is that he was embroiled in a war with Songhai, which he was winning, and was poking the Ottomans (and I think France) in the eyes, they were getting sick of his antics as well. AN ENTIRE GAME OF PLAYING NEUTRAL, AND I LOSE.
I tend to nuke people in Civ 5.
(09-19-2013, 11:51 AM)Dug Wrote: I tend to nuke people in Civ 5.

Hiawatha was above me in tech. He was expanding like CRAZY, and I never said anything - for about 80% of the game, he had the pointiest stick, eventually the Ottomans passed him up but they were over in America and I was in Europe. He was also taking out the Songhai which had resources I wanted. I never told him to stop because:

1: He was killing Songhai and they suck anyways.

2: We were DoF'd and best buds 4eva.

3: I had no military to speak of, other than a few eras-old units to take care of Barbies.

I was on Plastics when Hiawatha made his Space Ship... >.<
I tend to play on marathon mode, I never had the issue of people being better than me. I always win lol, incrising difficulty brought same result just different tactics.
(09-19-2013, 12:12 PM)Dug Wrote: I tend to play on marathon mode, I never had the issue of people being better than me. I always win lol, incrising difficulty brought same result just different tactics.

Share with me, a lowly peasant, your secrets of immortality, o great based OP!
I enjoy anything with strategy. I have played every game mentioned here except the homeworld series. I will now have to go about figuring out what it is and how to utterly devastate it. I am usually rather good at these kinds of games and always play my first scenario on the hardest difficulty before I even learn how to play. That way when I get crushed, I can call bullshit and see how it played out. Then I usually campaign and end with just marathoning hardmode scenarios.

Micro and Macroin' for life!

Also, it has been scientifically proven that just playing a strategy based game makes you "smarter". Your cognitive thinking goes up as well as hand eye coordination and problem solving.
Wow. Sometimes I forget the past.
(09-19-2013, 12:17 PM)Nymus Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 12:12 PM)Dug Wrote: I tend to play on marathon mode, I never had the issue of people being better than me. I always win lol, incrising difficulty brought same result just different tactics.

I really don't know what to tell you. I just always keep a good eye on those around me. I don't really allow the enemy AI to have a bigger army than me or to have more cities. I go for rapid expansion in most cases and if I feel someone is too big for my liking, I decide to take them down a notch. I never trust the AI to be truthful in their intentions I just always find them backstabbing me or dragging me into wars I don't want to be a part of. /soloforlifelol

EDIT: It might be worth adding that I spend a very long ammount of time training workers and improving the tiles around me to maximum, making sure all my cities are connected as well.
(09-19-2013, 12:39 PM)Dug Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 12:17 PM)Nymus Wrote:

I really don't know what to tell you. I just always keep a good eye on those around me. I don't really allow the enemy AI to have a bigger army than me or to have more cities. I go for rapid expansion in most cases and if I feel someone is too big for my liking, I decide to take them down a notch. I never trust the AI to be truthful in their intentions I just always find them backstabbing me or dragging me into wars I don't want to be a part of. /soloforlifelol

EDIT: It might be worth adding that I spend a very long ammount of time training workers and improving the tiles around me to maximum, making sure all my cities are connected as well.

See, that's what I do too! I go wide AND tall - improve my constructions and still expand a lot. The only part I don't do is the military - I feel like the turns spent building a military will both take too much time (I'll probably hit the upgrade by the time I make it) and it takes away from building a Library or something.
When it comes down to war , well, a unit of warriors or w.e you build is more likely to save you than a library. I make sure my territories are secure first, then I build stuff like libraries.
(09-19-2013, 01:41 PM)Dug Wrote: When it comes down to war , well, a unit of warriors or w.e you build is more likely to save you than a library. I make sure my territories are secure first, then I build stuff like libraries.

Okay, I'll run you through my first 100 turns, on an expansionist game.

Set up city, use warrior to scout ruins, ignore barbs unless they agitate me, begin work on either a Worker or a Monument, usually a Worker.

Immediately work on a Settler, set all citizens to hammers, get Liberty, and get a free Worker.

Expand, move a Worker to the new city, improve there as best as I can, build what I can (Granaries, Stone Works if I can, etc.)

Eventually get Citizenship and get free Settler and +50% to Settler production, pump out a few Settlers, watch my happiness and keep grabbing those luxuries. Shift my workers around so each city has at least one worked tile of the best tile I have.

Keep teching, build as I tech. I will always go for one of the Ancient wonders, usually Pyramids because 2 free workers and +25% to Worker speed (75% I think if you get Liberty workers as well!) if not I grab Hanging Gardens or very rarely, Stonehenge if I'm playing Religiously.

Now, this tactic has worked on Settler games, and I've played a few Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri games on Librarian (Prince level) and still managed to get a good chunk of the land. But that game doesn't have the, excuse my french, retarded system of Siege, which is what keeps me away from Warfare. Why do I need to build melee units AND ranged units, multitudes of them, no less, just to take a city, and probably lose a few in the process? In the older games, I'd just need a few units, melee, ranged or siege, and I can take any city. I'm good at Warfare in the older Civs (not Civ 3, that's my least favorite one) but in Civ 5 it's just... horrible!
I found that you have to feed melle/ranged to cities while your siege units stay back. Juggling your way inbetween keeping your units alive and getting proper hits on the city. One thing I don't tend to do is build wonders, unless I absolutely see a benefit from them. I often build the chinese wall.

The above seems like a decent tactic.

I'm also very mean and tend to steal workers from others or force city states to give me units.
(09-19-2013, 02:37 PM)Dug Wrote: I found that you have to feed melle/ranged to cities while your siege units stay back. Juggling your way inbetween keeping your units alive and getting proper hits on the city. One thing I don't tend to do is build wonders, unless I absolutely see a benefit from them. I often build the chinese wall.

The above seems like a decent tactic.

That's the only one I DON'T build, since it expires. Every other one (at least I think every other one) doesn't expire.

Although... I suppose sieging Vienna with 3 Warriors and 1 Brute, with only a Great General as support... isn't going to end well. Hmph I can only think of one game where I won against an AI civ - I was Mongols, playing on Settler, against Greece. It took me a few hours to figure out I can't use my Keshiks to take a city - I needed Pikemen.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Other online games with active RP community? Aethon 7 1,547 12-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Roxas65
  Games about trading? Aethon 18 3,232 07-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Nymus
  PSP games Demigod204 1 606 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Wuvvums
  The Humble Bundle - Nearly Free Indie Games! Mezrin 5 806 06-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Last Post: McKnighter