The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Races... useless?
(01-04-2012, 07:40 AM)Whym Wrote: "B-But you can't tell me how to RP.."

For heck's sake. Have reason behind your characaters. If the character in question is out of the social-norm, you will probably be shunned by bloody society or worse. I'm a player of logical characters, they all had a PATH of HOW they came to be. They just didn't decide the other day to become 'lolrandom' and suddenly mate with another race, which is a MASSIVE thing for as good as ANY race. I play racist characters, shunning other races, most likely because well, they're elves! They're not the fancy-happy-hippy troop some players treat them. It's bloody horrendous what I've seen sometimes, won't be calling names here but even IF one asks WHY they would perform such an action which is so anti for the race in question, GIVE A REASON. Give a good, proper reasoning. "Because" is probably the worst answer ever given.

...Logic, lore and reason. Follow them.

And Muhaha8, most of my Kaldorei are traditionalists, d'uh.

"No! I can and I will tell you how to RP, because that's my opinion!!"

Pretty much this, especially when you don't know what led the said characters to the current situation. Using the same example as before. Do you know what was RPed between the Tauren and the Gnome? What could possibly have happened to lead each of those unique individuals together. I'm afraid rarely anyone knows, except the involved players...

Sadly, most people don't really care about what may or may not have happened. All they see is an "abomination" of a couple, and then don't care about learning the truth.
You do all realize this discussion is pointless, yes?

No one's going to change.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(01-04-2012, 08:03 AM)Saiyuu Wrote: "No! I can and I will tell you how to RP, because that's my opinion!!"

Pretty much this, especially when you don't know what led the said characters to the current situation. Using the same example as before. Do you know what was RPed between the Tauren and the Gnome? What could possibly have happened to lead each of those unique individuals together. I'm afraid rarely anyone knows, except the involved players...

Sadly, most people don't really care about what may or may not have happened. All they see is an "abomination" of a couple, and then don't care about learning the truth.
Some things I've seen here go straight against lore, simple as that. I asked about the matter and was greeted with "IT'S MY CHARACTER, BECAUSE!". That's not a plausible answer. For the rest of this post, I refer to Flammos. Heck, I was even friendly about it when I asked.

If somebody asks you something about your character, how and why it came to be because it is just -entirely- out of the norm. Remain calm, explain the matter instead of spouting some porridge at someone. Perhaps you learn something new, not everyone reads the entirety of lore for a race BEFORE RPing them. Learn from your peers, accept advice instead of being a stubborn jibblewagger.
Sanity? Of course!
Quote:"No! I can and I will tell you how to RP, because that's my opinion!!"

...Then how is anything being done in response different, if you wish to act in such a way?

And really? It shouldn't matter. Most Tauren and most Gnomes would still look upon that pairing as strange, if not outright abominable. Thus the two should roleplay as if this is the case, and not expect others to take the circumstances into consideration.

It's worth looking at the matter from the perspective of the other side. Does that character consider the reasons behind your pairing? Don't be surprised if they don't, because it's a situation wholly unnatural to Warcraft's standard norm; It isn't something you see everyday. If you were to look outside now and see dragons or unicorns prancing through your backyard the thought would not be 'Oh! What logical chain of events caused this strange circumstance to arrive?' but 'This isn't natural. I must be dreaming. Am I dreaming?'

Extended metaphor perhaps, but I hope you understand my point.

Again, to reiterate, please try to see both sides of this issue. And understand that your own side is hardly the only one affected, ICly or OOCly.

EDIT: To say that while I am indeed in this argument, I very much believe...

(01-04-2012, 08:09 AM)Xigo Wrote: No one's going to change.
[Image: tn_1270246071759.jpg]

But srsly.

While one can not tell you what you want to RP or how to RP it, the sign of good quality RP is being able to work flexibly within the expected restrictions of your race and class. If your draenei wants to love an orc, then sure, go ahead, but you better have a good justification for it. Just because that's what you want to RP is neither a good excuse nor good writing, it's just lazy. It shows that you don't care enough about the lore and story surrounding the races to integrate it into your character, and that their race is nothing more than a vanity appearance (see: the infamous "gangsta" elves).
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
I agree with Bovel, and I also agree with Rigley. And speaking from my long line of experience here, I can say that it's certainly not a one-sided thing at all. I've been one to comment and bother people about reasoning for doing things "not normal" and I've also been victim of people practically scolding me for playing a character that doesn't like and constantly hates on other races(sometimes even when it was more than logical for it to happen!).

I tend to be more.. conservative, I guess? with this subject, but I try to stick with the let people play what they want. My biggest thing, like Flammos said, is/was reasoning. I've seen spectacular reasoning and I've seen crappy reasoning. If you can have a (pardon my sound like an ass) good reasoning, then please, continue. If I'm asking, I'm also curious as to what could make a character logically stray from the social norm.

And to build on what Rigley also said, it irks me when people don't seem to understand the consequences of being a "peace-loving" person in Warcraft. Like people love to quote it, it is WARcraft. There is a lot of hatred and malice towards other races. Hell, there's a lot inside of a single race. Humans as a society hate Orcs. Boasting about how your best friend/partner, the Orc warrior, is so strong in the arena will get you glared at, and if you find a really (excuse the language) dick guard, you can probably get arrested, too. I wish people would consider these things more often, as it limits what characters say but can also add a really fun aspect to it all.

Again, this issue goes both ways. Just like the issue with telling/bothering people about what races they play, etc. It's also a double-sided issue. No side is "right" or "wrong". It's all on how one side conveys their thoughts on the matter, IMO.

Well.. this may be a completely irrelevant post, but they are my thoughts. <nod>
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
If we are going to discuss romance I do feel that some of the stranger couplings are done because the two people OOCly like one another and OOCly like each other's characters. There can be an IC justification but I know and everyone knows we've probably done something like this before because we just like a certain character and want these two characters to be together. For some it may be a guilty pleasure too.

Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIu4BSTqLbg[/youtube]

And that is how we have crack pairings
People take critism against their beloved character a personal thing.

When someone asks 'why is your character like that? He/She is a night elf/Draenei/other race!" People instantly takes it as, "DGADFADF YOUR CHARACTER CAN'T BE THAT WAY, PLAY IT LIKE THIS." Which is sad, because some players just want to give advices, or at least express their opnion about one's character.

My character Aenyon, who was my first character, was terribly roleplayed. Obviously I didn't knew that, I played him as a random teen who flirted every other face, however, as people told me about Blood elves, their story, their behavior and everything else, I noticed my mistakes and progressed as a roleplayer.

I thank everyone who ranted about him, because if it wasn't you, I'd be still playing an idiot.
[Image: tumblr_mhvoxjHaqC1rzearvo2_500.gif]
Casually humorous
Apparently my internet kicked in real late, so my post was real late. Or I'm just slow. >.> But..

To Xigo, it upsets me to see a GM say something like that about a discussion, even if it's happened a billion times over. New people spark old discussions. And while I semi-agree with you, I don't really think it's appropriate to be said here.

And it can definitely be what Wuvvums said, since I did it with 327564875682 of my characters in the past.. xD
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
(01-04-2012, 08:13 AM)Rigley Wrote:
Quote:"No! I can and I will tell you how to RP, because that's my opinion!!"

...Then how is anything being done in response different, if you wish to act in such a way?

And really? It shouldn't matter. Most Tauren and most Gnomes would still look upon that pairing as strange, if not outright abominable. Thus the two should roleplay as if this is the case, and not expect others to take the circumstances into consideration.

It's worth looking at the matter from the perspective of the other side. Does that character consider the reasons behind your pairing? Don't be surprised if they don't, because it's a situation wholly unnatural to Warcraft's standard norm; It isn't something you see everyday. If you were to look outside now and see dragons or unicorns prancing through your backyard the thought would not be 'Oh! What logical chain of events caused this strange circumstance to arrive?' but 'This isn't natural. I must be dreaming. Am I dreaming?'

Extended metaphor perhaps, but I hope you understand my point.

Again, to reiterate, please try to see both sides of this issue. And understand that your own side is hardly the only one affected, ICly or OOCly.

EDIT: To say that while I am indeed in this argument, I very much believe...

(01-04-2012, 08:09 AM)Xigo Wrote: No one's going to change.

Yes, of course. The point of what I said lies not in the IC regard, but in the OOC one. IC'ly, I think most players have some degree of understanding on how they will be shunned or looked weirdly by other characters, but the issue becomes much graver once the disrespect and shun steps beyond the game barrier and enters RL. I even recall someone being called "downright stupid" for making a druid that loved everyone (including the dead, but I'm not going to mention names), and that was in the middle of OOCC. I think if the matter OOC'ly bothers you, just look the other way. It shouldn't be so hard...

And Xigo's moments of wiseness. Yes, no one will change...
Exactly what Physcho said on page 1 of this thread. Uniqueness is really welcomed :D but I don't expect a female druid to have had it easy and I really don't expect a lot of Draenei to mate with Orcs and be buddy buddy. And I admit there is a moment where there is just too much Nelf druids or Human loving Belves.

But this does not mean that every Tauren should bash dwarves and punt gnomes, and this does not mean that every Draenei should be a light-loving Holy Priest or something. I suppose, common sense? Beer

And in any way a lil critisismshould not be taken bad either. If your Draenei female goes flirting with Orcish males for the fun of it do expect a bit of heads-up...as Lunaxy says, it sometimes helps and it sure does not hurt, when the matter is big enough that is! (Bashing on a Sindorei wearing Queldorei colors is certainly not that needed, you know, and a gnome on a dwarven ram is not such a big deal either...)
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
I've done it too. Some of my stranger pairings were like human/troll and I did that one twice, mainly because I happened to like the person playing the troll <w<

Now a days I feel like I've gotten a big fill of my pairings so I toned down quite a bit on finding any.
I play a human that loves a sin'dorei. It only happened after a long, long while of development. Know what? The racial hate from that (that I encourage) has been some of the best and most complex role play I've had. I inwardly sigh most times when other characters wonder what the big deal is. "Love conquers all, maaaan." Meh.

I've just gotten into my traditional kaldorei sentinel. I cannot wait while she travels with a friend, and both encounter the oddities of mixed racial whatnots and all of you young rebellious whippersnappers. She will snarl, she will growl, she will spit on your characters.

This does not mean I hate you. Please, take such into consideration and learn and grow.

We all should.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
(01-04-2012, 08:03 AM)Saiyuu Wrote: Pretty much this, especially when you don't know what led the said characters to the current situation. Using the same example as before. Do you know what was RPed between the Tauren and the Gnome? What could possibly have happened to lead each of those unique individuals together. I'm afraid rarely anyone knows, except the involved players...

Actually, as the gnome that did do this, can I tell you what happened? Bad things. Can't have a date in Elwynn because humans are [rightly so!] racist and the guards came to get rid of the Horde intruder. And it was awesome, and led to character development all around.

[Edit] Sorry, forgot something very important to this mix that I think others should consider when embarking upon cross-factional relationships: The tauren was killed. They weren't even in a serious relationship -- they'd had one date. That's what happens "with the enemy." This is also why Booty Bay is so popular -- it is a neutral space where neutral-minded people can mingle. It's a place where lovers can be open. Because, really, you "should not" be able to be open many other places --- the Lay of the Land will not allow it, and that's what adds depth.

May there always be a mix of the racists with the trying-to-open-their-hearts-or-whatever lovebirds. Both sides are fun. Why bash the other?
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
(01-04-2012, 08:38 AM)Piken Wrote: To Xigo, it upsets me to see a GM say something like that about a discussion, even if it's happened a billion times over. New people spark old discussions. And while I semi-agree with you, I don't really think it's appropriate to be said here.

Mh, well I suppose by this point it becomes pretty disheartening to see the same points raised again and again. And the thing is that no one will change-- No matter indeed how many new people will come to the discussion or not. Many people could argue points until there's ten or so pages of this thread, but in the end they all leave with what they came in with. It's just how things have been, and likely will continue to be. It's just exceptionally rare to see someone consent to a point and change their views, because many of us (us; myself included) are quite stubborn.

Is that a good thing? Not at all. We'd likely have much more done if we could ever reach a half-way point in such disagreements. But neither side is usually willing to budge.

Appropriate? In a way. I'd much rather such a sentiment be said and understood than have two groups bickering to the point of flaming to get their points across. Whether saying the evident would actually influence that is up in the air, of course.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What races would actually become a Death Knight? Samlock 4 1,660 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Dae
  Sub-races and why We don't need to CMC them Thoradin 38 8,522 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel
  Races and Mounts requiem225 10 2,406 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Dae
  The histories of sentient races Etmosril 22 3,325 04-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Last Post: coreypotter585
  Long-span races and age (Lore-based) Lynoa06 10 1,903 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Lynoa06