The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Realistic Combat for Dummies
The main thing that comes to mind when I think of someone fighting with two weapons of drastically different sizes is reach. If you're using a rapier, your opponent is generally going to be away from you. A dagger is (despite what every single Hollywood action flick tells you) for short-range attacks, and something that you would keep close to your body when wielding. What that tells me is that a character using both would only have the dagger as a backup plan if someone gets way too close, and the rapier as a backup plan if a subtle attack with the dagger gets flubbed and they move out of immediate touch range.

Mind you, I have very little blade fighting training, so if someone else has some training and some feedback, add and change as needed.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_gauche <--

This will give you a better idea of what you're thinking of, Strahl.
"My companions' feelings have been etched onto my body.
I'll change this eternal darkness to light!
Heaven and Earth...
One body, one soul!

Chouginga, Gurren-Lagann!

I'll show you...
The power of mankind!"
Okay, that gives a bit of light to the situation, thank you. I can see what my character would do now: Keep his dagger in close at the start of a melee, keeping his longer rapier prepared for quick and precise attacks and the occasional lose parry. As a pirate, he -if the need arises -can play dirty, perhaps using the dagger and sword in an x-shaped conjunction to protect from a stab, then bring his foot up for a kick to place them off balance in which he makes a fast stab for a vital area with the dagger. That kind of stuff.
[Image: kinshougood2-4.jpg]
"The Blade does not kill; the Blade sings and dances...the hand of the wielder kills. Thus my bloody hands hold my bloody fate."

-Auron Strahl
Delmure Wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_gauche <--

This will give you a better idea of what you're thinking of, Strahl.

Mmhmm.

When you use large weapons or shields, like broad swords or kite shields, you tend to move yourself behind your parrying weapon/shield. When you start getting into smaller objects, like daggers and bucklers, you end up having to move the object to intercept the blow. It's more feasible because daggers and bucklers aren't heavy so you can move them about without tiring yourself easily.

Also, as Qaza hinted at, dual wielding is about having options, and adjusting to what you might need at that given moment. Daggers give you a more maneuverable option if someone gets right up on your face, rapiers can help when someone is a bit further away.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
D'aww... I was going to make this!

A long time ago! But someone told me it'd be useless. Damnit.
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
Well, to be fair, Grak -did- write this... a year and two months before you joined. Hehe. No harm in adding to it, though!
Oh he did now?

Well maybe I'll check up on that

Maybe I will!

*Checks*

... Well Grakors is better than mine would've ever been anyways.
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
All of this is well and good... but what about natural weapons? Like for example a fist fight, or hooves on a draeni/Tauren. While I know human martial arts, and in fact getting my black belt in a couple of months (Huzzah! Anyway, back on subject...), how would the hooves affect how they fight?
It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, but that not every one is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so if every planet in the Universe has a population of zero then the entire population of the Universe must also be zero, and any people you may actually meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination. ~Douglas Adams, The Original Hitchhiker Radio Script

I think we all know what to do with this...

[Image: nqgU.gif]
Let's just say you wouldn't want a hoof to come at you. I do believe given their hardness it would be like getting hit with a rock.
Was reading through this again and thought I'd give it a bump of justice!
[Image: signature2-1.jpg]
Found this while searching for something entirely different, and it's awesome! Giving a one year courtesy bump! And requesting that it be stickied if possible!
Nice to see this again. I remember using it as guidelines for Sylvandre's combat style years ago.

/nostalgiafaise.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
Just re-read this and felt actual shame for some of the butchering I've done to combat styles, heh. Definitely worth a look for anyone who's playing a combat character.

Also the first page is almost a "who's who" of famous CotHers you've never heard of.
Oh wow, this does exist!

Anyway, I love fighting so.. This was helpful.

/bookmark
Realistic fighting in WoW? Pffffft.

Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roll combat and you. DrinkArizona 6 2,008 11-23-2010, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Jurkey
  This is Combat! FrozenFire 6 1,834 11-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Qaza