The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Release the hounds.
This is a rising issue I've seen. No, I'm not going to toss a wall of text at you explaining every corner and degree of the issue, because that wouldn't change a thing.

Complaints. I've seen a lot of people do them. "Why is everyone in BB? Why is everyone Elves? Why is everyone etc." And I ask you, what does that solve? Instead of resolving a problem, you simply hound players and make them feel unwanted. The idea is help fix, and offer insights, rather then say they are bad. I myself am no saint, nor am I righteous. But these hounding efforts should have a re-look after.

"Sigh. More people complaining about how other people play." - Nexi.

Just sayin'.
I agree, no one likes an obnoxious hipster

"I dont RP in BB, I RP in Uldaman. You prolly never heard of it, its pretty underground" Just an example ofc no one rp's in uldaman... right?
"Do not be fooled if you hear laughter, or happen upon a smile. There is no happiness or merriment here."
I think everyone just likes to rant... some more than others, and some more openly than others as well. I know I've been guilty of complaint as well.
The cycle shall repeat, and unto those who attempt to prevent it, only death, and unto those who accept it, amusement.

People RP where they like to RP. People RP what they like to RP. I don't like Elves, I don't RP elves. I don't like the Bay, I don't RP in the Bay.

But regardless, instead of yappin', what're you gonna DO about it? All that has ever come of these is nothing. I've grown accustomed to the dull agreement of the general populace without action.

The cycle shall repeat.
In general, people play what they think is more interesting and fun to play, and go to the areas where others are. Places like Booty Bay, Ratchet or other neutral locations are simply easier to find RP in since there's no real restriction to who or what can show up and partake since anyone can walk into those cities without being hunted, hurt or killed because they're setting foot in hostile territory.

All that can be done about it is to organize RP elsewhere, but even then you need to keep in mind that not everyone likes more restricted forms of RP (say, in Horde/Alliance-only areas or out in the wilds). All you can do is try to herd people elsewhere by offering treats.

"Come to the Dark Side. We've got the cookies."

(^ What I mean by that, of course, is to advertise good and interesting RP opportunities elsewhere.)

But antagonizing people about what or where they play is not going to help anything. Rather than discouraging them from playing that particular race, class or playing in that particular location, you'll simply discourage them from RPing at all.

EDIT: The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to advertise on the forums. It's not always so effective to advertise in-game in LFG or whichever channel you use. Many times, people who are in-game are already busy with other things if they're out in RP areas. Or, they're sitting in the OOC Cavern. If they are, a single /yell in the OOC Cavern could possibly perk some interest.
As fire is my guide, thunder will strike true. From the darkest of night, from the skies clearest of blue. At times of needs, and times of risk. Thou shalt remove thine WoW disk. Thine shalt not pester those who play, and offer them sorrow. Instead, assist them in their plight, to make a better tommorrow.

As the land is my witness, as the wind my guide. To these rules you shall abide. Under oath of blood, under oath of kin. You and all those who can, will help to cleanse the primal sin.

Storm, earth and fire! Heed my call! - Some bored rhyming Shaman. To Ben~ With lurv~
I invite you to be directed to my avatar should you feel like complaining.

<--- Somewhat relevant, even given the online status.
[Image: tumblr_mjjxhcqmG51qh076xo1_250.png]
I'm the Dolphin, Reeese. I'm the dolphin.
Eh. I stopped really complaining after realizing that after ~3 attempted storylines, no one wanted to really move, anyways. Also, you made two threads.
I've posted in.. every thread or what not in the past concerning these things. And I'm just going to add one thing ;

Quit telling people what they should and should not do. Quit telling people where and where not to RP. Leave each other be. These threads are just an invitation to drama of something that will not change and refuses to be changed. They'll sink back to page three of the boards, only to be added to the dramatic archive of CotH that rests behind the first two forum pages. They do not change anything.

(Ironically, by that I've just told everyone to quit something.. but I deem it justified in this case)

Feel free to agree and disagree, feel free to present arguments on how something can be changed. I'm just looking at it realistically, and that is that it will not be changed drastically. Take your friends, go RP somewhere you enjoy, leave others be.
You know, I always love these posts..

"QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW PEOPLE RP. YES, I AM COMPLAINING."

Ahh, the cycle, it is such a beautiful thing.

Anyways, back on topic.

Yeah, people will RP what they want to RP, they will RP with who they want, how they want, where they want...And to the people who do not enjoy the RP, they are forced to look or find other RPs.

But, being on the other side of the spectrum, the people who don't want to RP in Booty Bay or want to RP lesbians, being hit on every time they hop on their draenei or elf, or hell, maybe they actually want to RP their adventurer, it can get difficult. And when I say 'can', I really mean is. Do you know how hard it is to find people to RP with? It isn't as easy as spamming in the chat channels or the OOC cavern. You are always stuck doing what the crowd is doing...And sometimes, that isn't fun for people.

Hell, I am put off by how much thumb twiddling, racial love-fest, durp-iralesbian, and other things that I will not address right now happening on the server. So, you know what I do? I attempt to DM events to get people doing something other than that.

But, do you know how many people come to my mini-events? On average I will get two or three people tops. That is, unless I offer gold. People are so stuck in their ways that the only way they want to involve their characters are because of money!

How sad is that to a DM? I must waste(Because that is what it is at the end of the day) gold in order to get people willing to RP other places?

It's a turn off. And hell, I am a 'seasoned veteran' of CotH. Can you imagine new players having to deal with this?

"What you want to play an adventurer? Pfft. Go to Booty Bay or deal."

Sad.

Either way, while you say be more open to the idea of Belves or Bay RP, we will say..

BE OPEN TO NEW EXPERIENCES ELSE WHERE.

Just saying, it can work both ways.

Edit: I don't understand how wanting to have RP away from the port cities is a hipster thing to do.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
It seems my internet has betrayed on the matter of the two threads. Fixed.

Either way, Cressy. As ever, a well placed wall of text with reasonable ideas. Always a pleasure. Though your stance is a bit.... Mixy looking on my end atleast.

Yes, it's a cycle. But is there something which isn't a cycle? In all around, I can cycle-excuse everything I want. "We die. We become furteliser for the land. Which gets eaten by cows. Which become our burgers." Etc etc...

But is this not an RP server for the people who come here? I respect your time and experience, not to mention the amount of effort you put here. But I wasn't saying this in the idea of let that current style of RP reign. I'm just saying (In my opinion.) that you should allow others to learn on their own. We all start some-where, and not everyone had the privilege of role-playing before.

I see how this may upset you, but if you simply begin some form of purging, you are just going to turn people away from an already unfavoured form of entertainment.
Since I think you missed my point entirely..I will delve a bit deeper in response.
(09-24-2011, 09:37 AM)Psycho Wrote: Either way, Cressy. As ever, a well placed wall of text with reasonable ideas. Always a pleasure. Though your stance is a bit.... Mixy looking on my end atleast.

Mixy? I don't see how. I deal with the RP that people have, even if it isn't for my own. I try to start it else where, and no one joins. Pretty simple.

(09-24-2011, 09:37 AM)Psycho Wrote: Yes, it's a cycle. But is there something which isn't a cycle? In all around, I can cycle-excuse everything I want. "We die. We become furteliser for the land. Which gets eaten by cows. Which become our burgers." Etc etc...
All I was saying is you complaining about people complaining is funny.

(09-24-2011, 09:37 AM)Psycho Wrote: But is this not an RP server for the people who come here? I respect your time and experience, not to mention the amount of effort you put here. But I wasn't saying this in the idea of let that current style of RP reign. I'm just saying (In my opinion.) that you should allow others to learn on their own. We all start some-where, and not everyone had the privilege of role-playing before.

I don't think I said anywhere that my time here means more or less than anyone else, I am just saying even people who have been here forever and a day have issues getting the RP they like. I don't think I am asking people to not take my word of advice. Actually, I think you missed my points completely now that I look at this.

(09-24-2011, 09:37 AM)Psycho Wrote: I see how this may upset you, but if you simply begin some form of purging, you are just going to turn people away from an already unfavoured form of entertainment.

I am not upset at all. I just find it funny that you are basically telling people to deal with the RP, even if they dislike it. Not that I am promoting people whining and complaining about what type of RP they hate, but sometimes voicing an opinion can be cleansing.

Here. I will break it down.

+ Cycles, they make me lulz.

+ I think people RP the way they want, and that is cool, I guess.

+ Someone is going to like someones RP, someone is going to hate it. Go figure.

+ If you don't like the 'norm' RP, you are forced to look elsewhere, which typically leads to nothing. So, RP something you dislike or don't RP at all.

+ I dislike lots of types of RP, including, but not limited to:
+ Inter-racial love affairs that make no damn sense.
+ Durp lesbians that do it for the hawt erotic roleplay.
+ Sitting around in taverns with our thumbs up our asses.
+ Etc, etc.

+ Sometimes trying to spark up new RP isn't as easy as. 'OHAI GUYS. WANT 2 B AWZUM N DO OVUR FINGS DEN JUS' SIT IN OOCC OR PLAY BARBIES IN BOOTY BAY.'

+ DMing events isn't always a guarantee that you can spark up RP that you preferably like.

+ I am saying I get turned off by how hard it is to find things that aren't the typical RP, even though I've been here for ever. It rarely changes.

+ While you encourage people to accept what is happening, I am saying...

Why not be open as well? Sometimes RP that isn't normal can be just as fun.

+ I still don't get the hipster reference.

I should do all my posts in bullets.

[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
I think she's just saying there's legitimate reasons to complain.

As I mentioned before we ALL rant. If we aren't ranting publicly we're probably doing it in party chat.. or whispers... or on vent or skype. I don't believe that anyone on this server never vented about how someone else roleplayed. Some just happen to be more forward and public about it.

But I'm not just talking about ranting. I be talking about hounding. As for Cressy, it would seem I completely misread you then! My apologies.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RP idea for cata release. Myst 19 2,699 11-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Myst