The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Release the hounds.
Hounding's another thing entirely. I'm not sure how many people have been asked or told to change their character outright. I've seen some that were really ridiculous and borderlined breaking immersion and not in a comedic way, but even then I didn't tell them to stop... and most people didn't either. I think we usually keep our complaints private.
This is a thread complaining about complaining.

ಠ_ಠ
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
@ Wuvvums. Then mayhaps I've only seen it? Who knows.

@ Anski. Complainingception. Fight fire with fire. -Insert pun here.-
That may be true, Psycho. It may be a situational thing, because some of us have seen it, some of us haven't, and some of us aren't there are the right time to catch it.

I did have someone tell me I couldn't have the last name of Rainbows before, though (even though the GM team condoned it).
Man, people are always making these threads.

Why does there have to be threads complaining about my complaining?

To make a note though, expanding on what Cressy said. It's humorous that people complain about people never running events, or trying to make roleplay in new locations. Because whenever someone says 'Hey, let's go roleplay' everyone just kinda shrugs them off.

I see character just sitting in whatever the OOC zone is just typing /bored constantly, instead of trying to make roleplay.

Just be open to it. And roleplay with new people, those of you who refuse to go out unless one of your three roleplay buddies log on. Maybe you'll enjoy what you encounter.

Remember when you first came to the server, and you'd join -any- roleplay because you didn't know anyone? Well try to do that again. Join roleplay. Don't just mingle with your own groups and go 'nya everyone is inferior'. Meet new people.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(09-24-2011, 11:05 AM)Xigo Wrote: Man, people are always making these threads.

Why does there have to be threads complaining about my complaining?

To make a note though, expanding on what Cressy said. It's humorous that people complain about people never running events, or trying to make roleplay in new locations. Because whenever someone says 'Hey, let's go roleplay' everyone just kinda shrugs them off.

I see character just sitting in whatever the OOC zone is just typing /bored constantly, instead of trying to make roleplay.

Just be open to it. And roleplay with new people, those of you who refuse to go out unless one of your three roleplay buddies log on. Maybe you'll enjoy what you encounter.

Remember when you first came to the server, and you'd join -any- roleplay because you didn't know anyone? Well try to do that again. Join roleplay. Don't just mingle with your own groups and go 'nya everyone is inferior'. Meet new people.

Exactly. It is a real turn off when I am trying to create mini-events for people who say they are bored, but when I actually, I don't know, make one and start asking people to join, they continue to sit in OOCC and twiddle their thumbs.

Why should people try to make events if no one wants to go? :c

Anyways, good that my bullets made things clear.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
(09-24-2011, 11:15 AM)Cressy Wrote: Exactly. It is a real turn off when I am trying to create mini-events for people who say they are bored, but when I actually, I don't know, make one and start asking people to join, they continue to sit in OOCC and twiddle their thumbs.

Same. It's really disheartening to have something planned- for months as it is for me now, and announced in advance- to have difficulty filling one single group of five, much less a group of ten.
My advice? Stop hounding people about things you don't like and hint at it instead. Honestly, there's some situations where you should just sit down and shaddup, but like if a character is really derpy then you can just give advice. Don't say, "Lul, you can't have the last name Rainbows!" If you have a problem with it, as a great man once said, "To be subtle is to be kind beyond knowing."

Wait, no one said that. Anyway, slamming someone's head with your own bias isn't going to make them change anything (though it might be nice if you're aiming for blunt-force trauma). Just point out nicely what you think and if they don't change, leave them. Maybe say, "Rainbows? That's an unusual name for a <blank>." The person will probably explain, and it'll usually be a good explanation. If you still have a problem, try to let them know non-aggressively and if it really bothers you SO MUCH that it will crush your entire fabric of being and ruin all fun in the world for you RP. (Note: This can be different in different cases. For example, someone's last name isn't that gamebreaking. However, someone RPing as a demon hunter initiate or the daughter of two demon hunters... might be!)

As for your events, Cressy. I was online during one, but I was having extremely enjoyable RP with a group of trolls so we didn't end up joining. Sorry :(
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
...I'll just take the chance to say this.

Is it really so hard to play a character that's racist like, well, the majority of your race?

Yes, this is a rant. I'm sadly tired of playing characters true to their race's beliefs and stumbling on people that would hang out and befriend their worst enemies like their millennium of war basically meant nothing. Seriously. This game is named the world of -warcraft- for good reason.

That is all. Carry on.
Because, as awesome as the civil rights movement was, it had catastrophic effects on the non-meatspace applications of racism. People get the perception that you can't be a 'good guy' without being tolerant of everyone around you. If you hate people based on their looks, how can you -possibly- be that paragon of light people seem to want to play?

It's not as hard as it seems, for those of you reading this that are under that perception.

Your character can be a loving cuddle-bug that blows kisses to the people he passes by, but that doesn't mean that half of his family wasn't murdered by orcs, or tauren, or elves, or gnomes, or dwarves. Paladins can be racist. Paladins are racist. Warriors can be racist. Warriors are racist. Commoners can be racist. Commoners are racist.

Literally anyone, no matter how good they are, can dislike another group based on their past actions. Off the top of my head, I can say that Thomas Jefferson, a national hero was incredibly racist. On top of that, a character doesn't need to slide a sword into another person's gut because they're racist, they can simply charge them extra for wares, or swear at them, or argue with them, or not let them sit at their table, or not help them when they're in the same adventuring group, or not even choose them to be in a group in the first place, or X, or Y, or Z, or any number of things.

This isn't to say you can't have a character that enjoys the company of any race because I'd be a hypocrite if I tried. Rather, please take this into consideration next time you decide to bust out that Character Profile Template. As a prior Forum Helper I can honestly say you'll lift at least one Helper's spirits when they see that your troll character doesn't hug Blood Elves in their spare time.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
(09-24-2011, 03:41 PM)Uthaniel Wrote: ...I'll just take the chance to say this.

Is it really so hard to play a character that's racist like, well, the majority of your race?

Yes, this is a rant. I'm sadly tired of playing characters true to their race's beliefs and stumbling on people that would hang out and befriend their worst enemies like their millennium of war basically meant nothing. Seriously. This game is named the world of -warcraft- for good reason.

That is all. Carry on.

Awww, racism. I have to say, I miss it quite a bit since Jean has been left to the abyss. :/
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
I'll admit - I wish I hadn't written that post. I don't like the fact I lost my calm, despite the fact I don't regret what I said. I think it applies, yeah, and I could likely talk a lot about it; but I won't. If anyone wants to hear my opinion on this, they can seek me in private as it's meant to be done in the first place.

That said, I also think this topic serves little purpose as it is, other than fuming the flames; Perhaps it's better off closed now, mm?
On any given day, I'm either RPing in Telredor with the Shakur, in Mulgore with the Stormshade, in Ironforge with Axestorm Smithing, and recently had Rhodygar move with another DK to Darkshire. The point being...there is plenty of RP outside of BB. And this doesn't include the RPs I've seen spring up in Dalaran, Icecrown, Tirisfal....the list goes on. If you build it, they will come. Maybe not the first day, but over time, if people realize that people regularly RP in a place, they'll go there. For the longest, I thought I'd never get to see regular Dwarf RP, but between my guild, and Battle for Khaz Modan, and even just people just dropping to get drunk for Brewfest, Dwarves can get their fill (no pun intended)! There is no reason others can't do the same. The only way to get the RP you want (combat RP, tavern RP, ERP) is to initiate! Not just a call in LFG, but go to BB, or other places where people gather. Let them see you and your awesome character. It's then that if you show up elsewhere, people will want to head in that direction to be closer to you and your awesomeness. And you are indeed awesome. I've seen you over there, with your awesome Loa-lovin Troll, or scheming Forsaken, or your battle-tested Orc, or your jolly Dwarf. I've even seen you and your shy but genius inventor who wants people to admire his gadgets! Jump on in! The RP water is fine!

Another problem that leads to such complaints is that I feel there is too much RP centered around 'events'. Events are an awesome way to tie together larger storylines, but I feel like people are bored because they feel like if a major earthshattering event isn't going on, then there is nothing to do. Alluding to my previous statement, just start something!
Dropping in to say that only the thread owner can say when it should be closed, considering I've not seen any 'flames', just discussion. There is a difference between the two!
Astus is incredibly racist. Does that mean he openly displays it? No, but he won't hesitate to gut a night elf if given the chance.

My troll Se'madi is horrifyingly racist, but he's also a coward and an introvert.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RP idea for cata release. Myst 19 2,699 11-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Myst