The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Reputation/Faction Gear
Just because my armor says it's this doesn't mean it's that Icly... I don't care about the item I care about the model. The item is whatever I choose to RP it as.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
[item]44297[/item]

This is the item I am referring to. Does it have Argent Crusade in it? Does it even have the colors or emblems on it? No. My point, this is one of the items that blizzard put into Reputation Items so people spend more time to get upgrades, which means more money going to them.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Oh nice Cenarion boots those are

What you mean Cenarion? these where made by my mother.

Oh so your mother is Cenarion?

No she's an Orc! You have a death wish or something?

Easy easy, I just recognized those boots to be Cenerion that's all

------------------------
Names have a meaning.

Most times it's all about the model and texture overlay they have indeed
But items that stand out do not match the overall of your RP outfit often carry a name.

-points at the mount-
Oh my how did you get that?

Oh it's just my Mudkip.

Mudkip? it really looks like an armored Hyppogryth that the Cenarion's are so proud of.

No you're just seeing things, that's my Mudkip.
Uh... this conversation doesn't really need to go on as long as it is. XD She is referring to a single item and wondering if she could get the reputation requirement removed from it. If Kret feels like going for it then he will, but otherwise it is as it is. I'm not sure what Illidan's Warglaives and all that fits into the situation.
[Image: Signature.png]
Cressy Wrote:I was wondering if...there was a way to possibly remove the reputation requirement on most of the faction rep.

I personally don't want to spend hours grinding faction rep just to wear these sweet boots that are one of a kind in its model. (Amazing right?)

Original post indicates the change on all rep required items.

Alright, it's 6 vs.2 that want the change.
I'll rest my case here and back away for Kretol to review this topic.
If I were to put my two cents in, I really do not regard items as the things they are named in-game, I do not use inspect unless I want to find the item myself. I read the flagRSP description. This -is- a roleplay server after all, and -most- people have flagRSP.
Spoiler:
We're all doomed
I would not be wholly opposed to removing reputation requirements for items. I just imagine that once that happens, 1 out of every 4 characters or so will have a 'rare' mount, half of which won't have any IC reason for them ('oh, lawl, it looked k00l'). Regardless, we could keep an eye out for that.

I'll consider doing this. And regarding the names of items? Most of the time, they shouldn't be regarded ICly, as several folks above have stated. Sure, some are meant as 'descriptive' names, but sometimes that also depends on the perspective of each player. For instance, something like "Earthshaker Grunt Pauldrons" would be pretty specific, to me - the pauldrons that Earthshaker Grunts wear. However, the point is that most people get items just for the looks; not for what the items are named.
Aww...Kret if you did this, I'd send you cookies or muffins. Maybe a [item]21812[/item]. /sagenod
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
I'd say remove rep requirements, but make mounts specifically available to some races and classes and such.
You don't want to see gnomes or humans on spectral tigers, or tauren on hawkstriders.

Things like availability, relevance to the character and the nature of the mount should all be considered.
If people were told to write a background for how they came in possession of their fantastical rare mount that glitters in the sun like Edward Cullen, there'd probably be a whole bunch of trouble.
waffenbaum Wrote:I'd say remove rep requirements, but make mounts specifically available to some races and classes and such.
You don't want to see gnomes or humans on spectral tigers, or tauren on hawkstriders.

Things like availability, relevance to the character and the nature of the mount should all be considered.
If people were told to write a background for how they came in possession of their fantastical rare mount that glitters in the sun like Edward Cullen, there'd probably be a whole bunch of trouble.

We can just monitor who tokens for what. It's probably better than having Kretol go through and change more stuff than he needs to.
Perhaps you could bring back those remains of fallen warriors, you could deliver them to a faction officer and gain rep with the faction of your choice, if I am right.
Mabra Dragonbasher- A battle hungry dwarven lady, hirable for personal protection and for larger tasks requiring violence.
Kaghuros Wrote:We can just monitor who tokens for what. It's probably better than having Kretol go through and change more stuff than he needs to.

Yes, that was what I meant, actually. So far I have requested two mounts which would probably be considered "special". A bear for my dwarf, and a mammoth for my tauren.

I reasoned that an unarmored bear would be a suitable riding animal for a seasoned dwarf, although in hindsight I could just as well have done with a less dangerous ram. I felt bad when I was occasionally riding the bear in Stormwind, as it would likely make everyone nervous of the huge vicious animal who could easily tear someone's arm off. That considered, I no longer bring it out around Stormwind and major settlements.

My tauren is a rather large and brutal fellow, and I reasoned that if ANYONE could wrangle a mammoth, it would be him. I've also chosen to put some severe restrictions on where and when I ride it, as I'd like the mount to be RP-worthy. It's a woolly mammoth, so I never ride it in warm and temperate areas. I figure it would probably not survive in the desert of durotar, so it's only for riding in cool and very low temperatures. Secondly, it's a huge beast so I only use the walking function, and if I let it sprint it will only be a short distance. I figure it all adds to the feeling of realism behind the mounts.

I'm not saying that anyone else should take the time to consider how they could make their mounts a part of their RP, but it might be fun? Who knows. :wink:
Reasoning that having "Cenarion" in the name of an item means your character must have been exalted with the cenarion circle, or stolen it, is just as nonsensical as assuming a person in raid armor MUST have done the instance.

Reputation and such are completely OOC, I could grind argent crusade rep all day long, but my character has never even seen one of them ICly. Only tabards actually have a point in being reputation required, and even then OOC reputation isn't the same as IC reputation. Why would somebody who's RPing a member of the Kirin Tor, or the Cenarion Circle, or the -insert faction here- have to OOCly grind themselves to the required reputation first?

Reputation OOCly makes sense for game balance, but not for actual RP. Saying "You should grind the rep to show you deserve it" is something you'd say on a game-balance server, not a RP server.
Something that can make things easier no matter if Kretol makes that change or not; Check the "Same model as" tab in WoWhead, there´ll you usually see a bunch of items that look the same as the one you want, it´s often easier with Northrend stuff since there´s fewer models for those items.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Why one extreme or the other? Strictly IC and OOC aren't the only two options here. Instead of simply removing the requirements or not, how's this:

Increase the rate of reputation gain in much the same way as has been done with the other server rates.

Now, you aren't forced to waste as much time as you would have been grinding reputation for that faction. Go out, kill a few mobs. Become honored, revered, exalted. I'd also suggest that the rate of increase be higher than the other rates. Not many people will be doing this, and no one wants to waste time.

Heck, make a picnic out of it. Bring a friend. Let's say you're both out to prove yourselves to the [Faction Here]. Once you do, who knows? Maybe have a present for you. Get the item you want while staying IC.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Faction-bound Add RP items Jaella 5 1,240 05-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Jaella
  Unobtainable gear Adam255 6 1,519 06-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Adam255
  Fishing gear. Ural 3 1,032 04-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Ural
  Belbi's Goggles as starter gear. Jurkey 4 1,190 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Miah
  DK Gear Caediath 6 1,556 02-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Last Post: Kretol