The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Restart Profile Information
Here's a quick and dirty explanation of everything you need to know to write a profile after this restart, for anyone updating or altering their characters.

First, concerning profiles that were existing pre-restart. For profiles that were currently in the system during the cleaning of the boards, your profiles were moved to the Workshop, which was untouched. You may retrieve your profile from there.

For approved profiles that were put on the wiki, they are still there, but recategorized. You may do a search on the wiki for your character's name, and it should come up. You can copy that down and edit as necessary.

Second, changes that will need to be made. First of all, all living death knights are now undead. Secondly, necromancers and runemasters are no longer base classes in their own right, though characters may delve into the powers of necromancy or runic magic on the side of their normal classes/professions.

We will be going more free-form with character classes. With the death of the prestige system, characters will now have a bit more freedom in what they can or cannot do or be. There are several threads in General Discussion talking about the new possibilities.

The timeline has changed, as have the age guidelines. All races mature at roughly the same time, at around age 18-20. Elven lifespans have gone up to a couple thousand. The timeline is within the spoiler, we are starting around year 29, close to year 30:

Spoiler:
-10,000 - War of the Ancients.
-9,000 - The World Tree is made.
-7,300 - The Highborne are exiled.
-6,800 - Quel'Thalas is founded.
-2,800 - The Troll Wars.
-2,700 - First Guardian is appointed.
-2,500 - Ironforge is founded.
-1,200 - Seven Kingdoms of humanity are founded.
-823 - Aegwynn clashes with Sargeras' avatar.
-230 - War of Three Hammers.
-5 - Rise of the Horde. Blackhand is made warchief, Draenei slaughter begins.
-1 - Orc chieftains drink demon blood. Sacking of Shattrath.
0 - Dark Portal is made. First War.
6 - Second War. Internment camps are made.
8 - Invasion of Draenor.
10 - Alexstrasza is freed from the Dragonmaw clan.
18 - Thrall frees the orcs from the internment camps.
19 - Thrall and Tirion rescue Eitrigg from execution.
20 - Reign of Chaos. Third war begins.
21 - Frozen Throne. Blood elves split from the Alliance, Arthas becomes Lich King.
23 - Sunwell Trilogy.
24 - Cycle of Hatred. Tensions between Alliance and Horde rise again.
25 - World of Warcraft begins.
26 - Burning Crusade.
27 - Wrath of the Lich King.
30 - The Shattering. Cataclysm begins.

The profile template has undergone a slight change in order to facilitate the new free-form system, given a section to discuss the character's abilities. If you are a simple civilian or a stock member of your given class, then you may put that in the section. Otherwise, you should put down any unusual abilities or skills your character may possess.

Spoiler:
Player:

Character Full Name:

Character In-Game Name:

Nickname(s):

Association(s):

Race:

Class:

Skills and Abilities: (Only necessary if there are any abnormal/notable skills/abilities for the character's class)

Sex:

Hair:

Eyes:

Scale/Height: (Scale range between 0.85-1.15. Height optional.)

Weight: (Optional)

Usual Garments/Armor:

Other:

Alignment:(Optional.)

Personality:

History:

We are now accepting profiles for post-restart. Please, for the moment, continue to abide by the one profile per week rule, in order to keep from overwhelming the forum helpers. If we feel that we can increase the pace, we will make an announcement to that effect.

In addition, some of these changes are still not reflected in the wiki or other stickies just yet. That will hopefully change soon.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Quick addition: For the sake of consistency, we ask that you put down the name of your race as it appears in-game, rather than any flavor or lore names the race may have. Blood Elf, Night Elf, Undead, and Tauren, NOT Sin'dorei, Kaldorei, Forsaken, and Shu'halo.
Another quick addition: We will not be supporting characters knowing racial languages outside of the typical ones known by the character's chosen race. This is for several reasons, ranging from the limitations of the actual language mechanic in-game, as well as many languages being more casually known than they should be.
Question: Would gnomes know dwarvish and vice versa?
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
I'd think they would. I also think a human could realistically know Thalassian.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Really seems to me to be an arbitrary and needless rule. Noone complained about this, noone asked for it to change, noone was up in arms about X knowing Y and Y knowing Z.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Yeah. Humans knowing Thalassian is.. Very likely.

Saronsen is learning Darnassian since, well, his lover is a Night Elf.
(09-07-2011, 09:34 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Really seems to me to be an arbitrary and needless rule. Noone complained about this, noone asked for it to change, noone was up in arms about X knowing Y and Y knowing Z.

Actually, they did, or we wouldn't have had to make a statement on this. There was a lot of complaints about people knowing other languages, and the belief that they shouldn't know them.

Given the limitations of the engine, I personally view that it's better to keep with the languages known in-game, as to prevent people from going through the pains of having to type out [Thalassian] at the beginning of every say.

Of course, we said we don't support it, not that we were outright banning the idea. That was the wording Kretol used, so it was the wording I repeated.
(09-07-2011, 09:58 PM)Grakor456 Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 09:34 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Really seems to me to be an arbitrary and needless rule. Noone complained about this, noone asked for it to change, noone was up in arms about X knowing Y and Y knowing Z.

Actually, they did, or we wouldn't have had to make a statement on this. There was a lot of complaints about people knowing other languages, and the belief that they shouldn't know them.

Given the limitations of the engine, I personally view that it's better to keep with the languages known in-game, as to prevent people from going through the pains of having to type out [Thalassian] at the beginning of every say.

Of course, we said we don't support it, not that we were outright banning the idea. That was the wording Kretol used, so it was the wording I repeated.

Fair enough, but usually when an issue gets loud, it creeps into the forums (living DKs, Prestige system). Either way, people can have their preferences, but I feel anything can be allowed if you can justify it well enough. Regardless, I never had problems of this sort myself and will continue to carry on as I have.

Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
This brings the question; what about the Horde?

By tradition all members of the horde know orcish, yet it seems that we all speak in common in order to speak between factions. Is orcish now restricted to just orcs now or..?
Honestly, I think that a dwarf that doesn't know gnomish or a gnome that doesn't know dwarven is brutally unrealistic, given that they basically (and now literally) live together.
Oh, maybe there are bilingual dwarves and gnomes- they just aren't supported by game mechanics. We can easily write off the bilingual ones as being NPCs or part of the population, but don't happen to be any of our chars.
(09-08-2011, 03:09 AM)Krilari Wrote: This brings the question; what about the Horde?

By tradition all members of the horde know orcish, yet it seems that we all speak in common in order to speak between factions. Is orcish now restricted to just orcs now or..?

Orcish and Common are the obvious exceptions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restart Profile Guide! Uthaniel 16 10,676 11-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Uthaniel