The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Your Resurrection Preference
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Old System
28.13%
9 28.13%
Current System
31.25%
10 31.25%
Other
40.63%
13 40.63%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Resurrection
The old system was good for scaring people into taking death more seriously, but it was bad in other ways. Some may call me a rude, unfeeling bastard, but I don't feel right telling someone that they can't RP a character of theirs anymore. It's just not something I feel right doing.

As another thought...like it or not, Warcraft is a high fantasy setting. Such settings tend to have a rather casual look at death, and that's one of the failings (or, to some perspectives, one of the virtues) of the genre.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Current system is best imo. It's not broken, and Warcraft is stupid with what lives and dies anyway.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Current system is good. I have imposed myself, though, long resurrection and drawback periods as one week is so little to me, especially given I have 3 accounts full of characters. The only thing I'd change is... yeah, the resurrection period. Maybe 2 weeks instead of 1. But I like the current system as is.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
Id prefer the old system. Even though I havent killed/been killed, this infinite resurrection thing just seems like Dragon Ball Z where someone dies and they're like 'who cares go grab the dragon balls'. Death doesn't seem to be taken very seriously. In the time I've been playing I've rarely been issues cw's anyway so I don't see the problem.

After a few deaths I think it's time to move on from the character; it might be hard for some people but rp can grow stale if the same 10 always-resurrected characters are partying together. The only problem is people like drama
"Do not be fooled if you hear laughter, or happen upon a smile. There is no happiness or merriment here."
The only thing I'd honestly change is some sort of approval process for resurrection threads, to make sure drawbacks make sense. Some threads come off with next to no drawbacks while some basically cripple their character with the first resurrection. Otherwise I feel the current system is fine.
I've always based death and resurrection purely on whether or not the character has a strong enough will to return to his or her body, for my own characters. I imagine their souls would be torn asunder after the fourth or fifth death, but I've never managed to play a character as careless as to die more than twice.

Voted for conservatism.
(12-21-2011, 06:49 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: The old system was good for scaring people into taking death more seriously, but it was bad in other ways. Some may call me a rude, unfeeling bastard, but I don't feel right telling someone that they can't RP a character of theirs anymore. It's just not something I feel right doing.

As another thought...like it or not, Warcraft is a high fantasy setting. Such settings tend to have a rather casual look at death, and that's one of the failings (or, to some perspectives, one of the virtues) of the genre.

This. A thousand times this. Warcraft's not some grimdark, nitty-gritty world. It's Noblebrite. It's High Fantasy.

But that's not to say that you can't treat death with respect. It's up to -you- to make death matter, not some arbitrary set of rules.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
Reigen Wrote:The only thing I'd honestly change is some sort of approval process for resurrection threads, to make sure drawbacks make sense. Some threads come off with next to no drawbacks while some basically cripple their character with the first resurrection. Otherwise I feel the current system is fine.

This highlights my thoughts mostly.

The current system we have, I think, is fine in most of its regulations. The only thing it lacks is more "realistic" drawbacks to a character dying.

Death and resurrection will always be "weighed" differently with different people and groups, so I think the very least we can do is offer a more "free and lenient" system like we do now.
I like to see people be brutal with their character and give them pretty damn harsh drawbacks. When reviving someone, you don't have to be afraid of making the character in question weaker because of death, it makes RP more fun.
I don't really think resurrection should be able to happen over and over again. I mean, dying sucks. Could you imagine coming back to live three times? You've been killed and in a world like Warcraft, chances are it was pretty brutal, three times...

If you have a bunch of enemies who will try to kill you again, is it really the right decision? That's what I go through when my characters die.
(12-21-2011, 06:52 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Current system is best imo. It's not broken, and Warcraft is stupid with what lives and dies anyway.

Indeed.
The only things that actually suffer from perma-deaths are Lore Characters.
Except those that can drop loot. They're not quite dead yet.
Could always have a 20-25% chance with each death that resurrection would not be possible. (Perhaps after the first death?)
Could always be a chance doubled with each death. First death there is a 10% chance of not being revived, then 20%, then 40%, then 80% and it sticks at 80% after that, if you're lucky.
I don't know. I have to say, that I support the old system, and to those, who say that it is unfair to them, I only have to say, that life itself isn't fair. Death should be taken seriously. For example, on a server I used to play before for a long time, there was only one ressurection per character, and it is still very very limited.
I myself, have lost more than twenty characters in all my WoW roleplaying life. Six of them were lost in CotH, but I never bothered to ressurect them, because once my character is dead, he's dead for good, unless someone volunteers to do such a thing.
Quote:The only things that actually suffer from perma-deaths are Lore Characters.

That is the thing that disturbs me. Because the extremely important people die in wow, and nobody resses them, they only give them a propper funeral. While some unsignificant rogue decides to die, and suddenly he is revived. :|

Personally, I'd disallowed resurrections entirely.

So I'm in for the old system. Death is daily, make your lifetime count and by that way, your death aswell.
Sanity? Of course!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resurrection?? GladiusGamer 4 945 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Last Post: GladiusGamer
  Warlock Soul Self Resurrection.. CallMeMelissa 4 1,171 07-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Bovel
  Suicide Resurrection MrCandlejack 27 3,257 06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Battle System / Alternate Resurrection garrett 43 6,817 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Last Post: garrett